HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Discussion - Part IV (Cap Info in Post 1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
I like Suter, but I have a feeling the people who were upset about Martin's lack of game-changing "skill to hang your hat on" are going to be upset with Suter too. He won't be that PP QB we want. He won't be the physical force we want. I personally just don't think it makes sense to add salary to our defense right now. If we do, it should be short term. That won't be Suter. I would push hard for Parise instead.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

Suter is one of the PREMIERE d-men in the league. He does everything very well, and would vastly improve the team in all three zones and on the pp and pk. Parise is one of my favorite players and I've been dreaming of him in black and gold for years, but I just don't think signing him improves the team as much as Suter would.

And if we trade Staal, I'd love to see Yandle coming back. The dude is great, and would instantly be arguably our best d-man, including Letang.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Suter is one of the PREMIERE d-men in the league. He does everything very well, and would vastly improve the team in all three zones and on the pp and pk. Parise is one of my favorite players and I've been dreaming of him in black and gold for years, but I just don't think signing him improves the team as much as Suter would.
They would both improve the team, but I just disagree that Suter would help more. I really think when you have the two best forwards in the game you should build around them. Add in the fact that we have more up-and-coming defensemen I would take Parise over Suter 10 times out of 10. We have a good roster of NHL defensemen. For every D-man we bring in, we have to send a quality D-man out. Currently Pascal Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy are our 3rd and 4th best wings. We need a wing upgrade.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy to have Suter. We'd obviously be a better team for it. It just doesn't seem like the best spot to spend 7 million dollars to me.

Quote:
And if we trade Staal, I'd love to see Yandle coming back. The dude is great, and would instantly be arguably our best d-man, including Letang.
This I can get behind. I am still very much undecided on what I want to happen with Staal, but Yandle would arguably help us more than Suter because of what he can add to the powerplay and he'd do it for quite a bit less money. Obviously, with Staal added in the cost is higher but I think you get my point. At this point we'd have to push for Parise imo.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:08 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:

I disagree with that, though he would easily be our best offensive d-man and a legit PPQB. Yandle plays almost no PK time in Phoenix and is prone to defensive mistakes and turnovers, he wouldn't solidify the back-end in that sense. Though perhaps the PP could be so automatic that it wouldn't even matter?

Old
06-08-2012, 07:11 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
I could see some team, like Tampa, which has 2 first rounders (10 & 19) and desperately needs top-4 dman, offer 19th overall pick for Martin.
I think you're having a wet dream. Martin won't bring a first round pick back.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

TSN article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397843

Old
06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
did Staal actually say he wanted to go to Carolina with his brother?
i thought someone just speculated that on Twitter?

Old
06-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
I was confused by that part of the article as well. All you get linked to is a tweet from Bob McKenzie saying "Which is to suggest Eric not going anywhere. Just a guess, but if Jordan isn't a Penguin -- not suggesting he's not -- a Cane seems logical."

I don't remember hearing Staal say anything about that, and the McKenzie quote doesn't help to clear anything up either.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Shady Machine

Yeah that article wasn't particularly strong.

Old
06-08-2012, 08:21 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
That's from another Madden tweet.

There is a lot of hedging with the "apparently" and "IF Pens decide to trade him", but I guess that's what is referenced.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If only he was just laying around.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:45 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
How much would alexander radulov coast? Shero drafted him and him and malkin are good friends. I could see this happening unless the rags acquire his rights.
Can the OP add a poll to this thread to see how many of us would like to trade for Radulov's rights? I think that would be pretty interesting.

He's obviously the biggest boom or bust guy out there but we could probably get him cheap in a trade (probably just a draft pick like Vokoun). Maybe seeing that he's running out of chances in the NHL he'll settle down a bit more on his next team. And of course we have the magical Malkin factor that makes all Russian players a perfect fit here

At the very least it would be fun to get him for NHL 13...

Old
06-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Is that Radulov? Haha.

Yah that article blows. Cullen really is pretty bad when it comes down to it. There was no addressing the D in that article, or any system-related stuff. Clearly he's not watching the team to closely, just writing things up from current contract status and recent moves.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:48 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I like Suter, but I have a feeling the people who were upset about Martin's lack of game-changing "skill to hang your hat on" are going to be upset with Suter too. He won't be that PP QB we want. He won't be the physical force we want. I personally just don't think it makes sense to add salary to our defense right now. If we do, it should be short term. That won't be Suter. I would push hard for Parise instead.
Suter is a top 5 Dman in the league, and I personally think he's better than Weber bc he doesn't put up sexy numbers/hits like he does. He lets Weber do what he wants, and last season when Suter was out for a couple weeks, Weber struggled quite a bit. Suter would be the best PP QB we've had since Gonchar, hell, he QB'd the top PP until for Team USA along with Rafalski. You don't need him to be insanely physical, his body position against others is insane. As much as I love Parise, I would much rather have Suter. Offense isn't the problem.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Suter is a top 5 Dman in the league, and I personally think he's better than Weber bc he doesn't put up sexy numbers/hits like he does. He lets Weber do what he wants, and last season when Suter was out for a couple weeks, Weber struggled quite a bit. Suter would be the best PP QB we've had since Gonchar, hell, he QB'd the top PP until for Team USA along with Rafalski. You don't need him to be insanely physical, his body position against others is insane. As much as I love Parise, I would much rather have Suter. Offense isn't the problem.
I'm not doubting that he's a good defenseman. I just think it's funny that the people that talked bad about Martin because he didn't do anything flashy to be a game changer are looking to move him to bring in a better version of the same type of player for even more money.

My big thing for wanting Parise is that we need forwards more than defensemen considering who we have coming up. Better forwards would help the defense, especially a guy like Parise. Not only is he just a great defensive player, but he will help us with offensive puck possession and will force teams to be that extra bit careful knowing that we have another game changing forward out there. I really don't buy that the problem with the defense is the roster. We have good defensemen. Also, when it looks like Sid or Geno will be lining up with TK on their line, offense is most certainly a potential problem.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 06-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulgarTurtle View Post
Nashville has already said that they don't plan to keep Radulov. There is no way they get that much for a player without a contract, not a chance in hell.
We'll see.....potential 40 goal scorers dont grow on trees. Nashville had no plans of keeping him and they only made it aware to the world so more teams would come talk to them about him.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
5 million!? i'd rather cough up another 2-2.5 million for parise. How to get the money is by trading martin
I dont even want Radulov on the team. But getting him would be a lot easier then Parise.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think you're having a wet dream. Martin won't bring a first round pick back.
If this happens I will be your nightmare, cause I will remind it to you everytime I'd have a chance !

You do realize that Downey, Quincey, Gaustad was traded for the firsts right?

Old
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
If this happens I will be your nightmare, cause I will remind it to you everytime I'd have a chance !

You do realize that Downey, Quincey, Gaustad was traded for the firsts right?
but dude Paul Martin is the worst defenseman in the league

seriously I have no clue what he'll go for. There's no doubt in my mind that he has value though. He's a good player. Like I've said before, I expect him to have a good season wherever he goes.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Is that Radulov? Haha.

Yah that article blows. Cullen really is pretty bad when it comes down to it. There was no addressing the D in that article, or any system-related stuff. Clearly he's not watching the team to closely, just writing things up from current contract status and recent moves.
Yes it actually is, pretty cool eh? So he may just happen to be laying aroung, we'll see...

Old
06-08-2012, 10:51 AM
mpp9

Shero wouldn't move Martin for anything less than a first.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:04 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Shero wouldn't move Martin for anything less than a first.
And how is it you know this?

Old
06-08-2012, 11:10 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
And how is it you know this?
B/c we can get that with the lack of top 4 D-men available. Tampa and Minnesota are good fits.

Shero is patient and won't just give him away. I think he'll be actively shopping him which is a change in style in and of itself. If we don't get a solid return, he'll be on the roster next season.

Shero is one of the best in getting proper value back in trades.

I'd say a 1st is more than doable. Especially when you factor in Martin's decade long resume. But I guess one bad year makes him garbage.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
B/c we can get that with the lack of top 4 D-men available. Tampa and Minnesota are good fits.

Shero is patient and won't just give him away. I think he'll be actively shopping him which is a change in style in and of itself. If we don't get a solid return, he'll be on the roster next season.

Shero is one of the best in getting proper value back in trades.

I'd say a 1st is more than doable. Especially when you factor in Martin's decade long resume. But I guess one bad year makes him garbage.
On HF, yes. But GMs will lok into Martin if Shero puts him on the trading block, but a 1st? I can't see it, I could see a 2nd for sure, but the teams you mentioned (Minnesota and Tampa Bay) Have top 10 picks while Tampa bay has additional pick from Detroit (19th). They want to acquire a goalie which is more of a need than a defender.

That said, I could see him getting a 2nd + because if you look at what rentals got at the trade deadline, teams traded their 2nds for rentals with expiring contracts.

Gill got a 2nd, I have no doubts that Martin can get us a 2nd round pick + something else like a prospect or another pick.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'm not doubting that he's a good defenseman. I just think it's funny that the people that talked bad about Martin because he didn't do anything flashy to be a game changer are looking to move him to bring in a better version of the same type of player for even more money.

My big thing for wanting Parise is that we need forwards more than defensemen considering who we have coming up. Better forwards would help the defense, especially a guy like Parise. Not only is he just a great defensive player, but he will help us with offensive puck possession and will force teams to be that extra bit careful knowing that we have another game changing forward out there. I really don't buy that the problem with the defense is the roster. We have good defensemen. Also, when it looks like Sid or Geno will be lining up with TK on their line, offense is most certainly a potential problem.
This we need forwards more than D line is BS no forward regardless of how good they are is going to make any of our defense men tough in front of the net on the PP or ES, and that is where we got killed every year in the playoffs since the cup. Tiny guys like Gionta and StLouis were allowed to camp out on the back door in those series completely untouched. There were more cross crease passes and guys left alone in front in the Philly series than a beer league game. Martin stick checks, Michkalek shot blocks, and Orpik just backs away. We need someone besides Letang who will actually play the body, especially short handed, and someone who will clear the crease, or we aren't making it deep into the playoffs.

I'd love a RH wing for the PP and it would be a huge bonus if they were competent in the dot. I'd also love for Strait and Bortuzzo to get a crack at the lower pairing, but this teams biggest need is a solid defensive d man.

Closed Thread