HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Off-Season Discussion - Part IV (Cap Info in Post 1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2012, 11:01 PM
mr sidney crosby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Holy overpayment. That's 3 firsts and a top 6 winger.

I'd do Staal+Harrington+1st. Even then Hossa's already getting up there in age and it might not be worth it.
just a suggestion. That is an overpayment though. I wouldn't trade morrow in a 100 years but if it was for hossa i would.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:03 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
just a suggestion. That is an overpayment though. I wouldn't trade morrow in a 100 years but if it was for hossa i would.
Quantity doesn't help either team. They want quality so we give them Staal. We don't want to give up quantity so we give them futures. Hossa is so sexy I would kill to get him back.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:07 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Quantity doesn't help either team. They want quality so we give them Staal. We don't want to give up quantity so we give them futures. Hossa is so sexy I would kill to get him back.
yeah, we gave up armstrong, christensen, espiseto, and a 1st for hossa and dupuis. We won that trade BIG time. If we could do something like that trade again i will think shero's the best GM in the nhl. I think detroits is the best GM right now.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Corvidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Kunitz, morrow, bennett, and a 1st for marian hossa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
I'd do Staal+Harrington+1st.
Quote:
So, either Staal + 1st or Staal + Bennett.

These are three of the worst trades I have ever seen for any team and all in consecutive order. I don't log in here very often but I felt compelled to warn you all of the dangers of bath-salts. Whatever logic that involves trading any combination of Staal, Morrow, or a first-round pick for a 33 year old winger with a monster contract cannot be derived by men with properly working cognitive faculties.

Last edited by Corvidae: 06-09-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old
06-09-2012, 11:43 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
These are three of the worst trades I have ever seen for any team and all in consecutive order. I don't log in here very often but I felt compelled to warn you all of the dangers of bath-salts. Whatever logic that involves trading any combination of Staal, Morrow, or a first-round pick for a 33 year old winger with a monster contract cannot be derived by men with properly working cognitive faculties.
Hmm, I think Hossa's contact is great. He adds <2M to our cap-hit and gives us an established stud winger that has familiarity with our centers. If you don't agree with the value, fine, but it's not absurd.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Corvidae

Quote:
Hmm, I think Hossa's contact is great. He adds <2M to our cap-hit and gives us an established stud winger that has familiarity with our centers. If you don't agree with the value, fine, but it's not absurd.
He's on the books for a $5.275 million hit until 2020 and he'll be 34 next season. Also worth noting that he just received a major concussion. I'd hesitate taking him with that contract for free let alone trade the teams most premium assets. Cap hit aside, he'll be receiving 7.9 million / year for the next four seasons. It is very absurd.

Hossa is an excellent player but his best days are behind him. His big paychecks, however, are not.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I wonder if Hossa's even gotten up from that Torres hit yet. He may be damaged goods and is seemingly signed forever. I do love the guy as a player. He's as complete a winger as I've seen but I think he burnt some bridges on the way out of town. I doubt the Pens would take that contract.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:14 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I wonder if Hossa's even gotten up from that Torres hit yet. He may be damaged goods and is seemingly signed forever. I do love the guy as a player. He's as complete a winger as I've seen but I think he burnt some bridges on the way out of town. I doubt the Pens would take that contract.
Pittsburgh has a lot of bridges to burn. He'd be welcomed back in a heartbeat. Plenty of us never boo'd him. His contract is fine, AFIAC. Better than Sharp's.

Not worried about the one concussion he had this year, though a deal would have to be contingent on him being able to pass a physical. If he's good to go now, then I'm good with adding him for his price.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Jory Rand mentioned that Elliot Friedman (sp?) is reporting that Sidney Crosby will likely sign a 10 year deal with the Pen's, $9mill cap hit, shortly after July 1st. fwiw
He reported that around 14 mil a year is the most Sid could get and then they talked about that amount and said by all accounts if Sid wants to be on a winning team he will need to sign around 9 and by all accounts they think he does.

They said Sid's agent and Shero discussed his initial contract extension and if they wanted to do a long deal 5 yrs ago and then they decided a 5 year deal was the way to go. But this time they are looking for something at least 10 years long.

Said theres no way that the Pens could get his contract insured from concussions and that he discussed with 5 or 6 other GM's whether or not they would do that kind of deal (10+ years) with Sid even though it could not be insured and all the GM's that he talked to said they absolutely would.

Also then said if he signs a deal like that then it looks like Staal will be on the way out and it looks like he could end up in Carolina with his brother.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
How can they make a run for Parise if it's questionable that they can keep Staal?
Because Parise at $7M is infinitely better than Staal at $6M.

They can't afford Staal at that price. It's physically possible to do, they just can't afford him (in a practical manner) at that price. With Parise, they can. They'll make it work for Parise. Staal's great, but not worth anything over $5M, and if he wants more, and/or a greater role offensively, then trade him and go after Parise.

Old
06-10-2012, 06:41 AM
PenguinTommy

Some people would not trade Staal for 30-year-old Sharp (because of Sharp's age), but would trade Staal + 1st/Bennett for 33-year-old Hossa ???

Seriously guys?

Old
06-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I would rather have a player that plays like crap all regular season & plays great in the playoffs. I like Penners game despite being fat.
I don't know if his game would work if he wasn't fat

Old
06-10-2012, 07:47 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't know if his game would work if he wasn't fat
Too many pancakes?

Old
06-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Too many pancakes?
I think the key is figuring out the exact right amount of pancakes.

Old
06-10-2012, 07:54 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think the key is figuring out the exact right amount of pancakes.
That's easy.

Find out how many were in the stack he was eating when he tweaked his back ( ), subtract one, and we're golden.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

EF said Staal would be gone if Crosby took the 14m per or thereabouts... Not if he took 9.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Err, not even Sid deserves $14M/yr.

Old
06-10-2012, 08:59 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
He's on the books for a $5.275 million hit until 2020 and he'll be 34 next season. Also worth noting that he just received a major concussion. I'd hesitate taking him with that contract for free let alone trade the teams most premium assets. Cap hit aside, he'll be receiving 7.9 million / year for the next four seasons. It is very absurd.

Hossa is an excellent player but his best days are behind him. His big paychecks, however, are not.
Id take a 77 point winger on my team any day.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:04 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
He reported that around 14 mil a year is the most Sid could get and then they talked about that amount and said by all accounts if Sid wants to be on a winning team he will need to sign around 9 and by all accounts they think he does.

They said Sid's agent and Shero discussed his initial contract extension and if they wanted to do a long deal 5 yrs ago and then they decided a 5 year deal was the way to go. But this time they are looking for something at least 10 years long.

Said theres no way that the Pens could get his contract insured from concussions and that he discussed with 5 or 6 other GM's whether or not they would do that kind of deal (10+ years) with Sid even though it could not be insured and all the GM's that he talked to said they absolutely would.

Also then said if he signs a deal like that then it looks like Staal will be on the way out and it looks like he could end up in Carolina with his brother.
Thanks for the details on what was said.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:29 AM
JTG

Not sure how Sid signing for a 300,000 dollar raise all of a sudden makes it impossible to sign Jordan Staal

Old
06-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Til the End of Time

interesting to note that the contract wouldnt be insured.

it would be nice to see pens ownership willing to potentially take on that cost in order to keep sid in pittsburgh for many many years.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:44 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Not sure how Sid signing for a 300,000 dollar raise all of a sudden makes it impossible to sign Jordan Staal
Don't think it's ever been about not being able to afford him. Still think from Staal's point of view it's role, and from Shero's it's seeing if we can build a better team with the return we get for him and maybe an impact move in free agency.

I'd rather just hold onto him, but if we're gonna actively go after Suter/Parise, then I'm down.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
JTG

The thing with Suter and Parise for me is that, yes, they would both be pretty decent upgrades over Staal, but in giving them the money they are looking at...you're really putting a lot your eggs in only a couple baskets. Say Staal signs for 5.5, and Parise or Suter sign at 6.5. I'd question if Staal and that extra million is more beneficial to the team as whole. I obviously don't know the answer, but it is something worth considering.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
The thing with Suter and Parise for me is that, yes, they would both be pretty decent upgrades over Staal, but in giving them the money they are looking at...you're really putting a lot your eggs in only a couple baskets. Say Staal signs for 5.5, and Parise or Suter sign at 6.5. I'd question if Staal and that extra million is more beneficial to the team as whole. I obviously don't know the answer, but it is something worth considering.
I would say Parise is at least worth an extra million dollars than Staal. Staal is a really good player but Parise is a top 5 wing in the league. And if it's really either Staal or Parise, remember that signing Parise also lets us trade Staal and get whatever return he brings in. Parise might cost more than Staal, but Staal can bring back picks or prospects that can hopefully save us some money in other places. There's no reason we shouldn't give Parise an offer. The problem is that's true for pretty much every team in the league.

note: I would love to have both. If we move Martin I think we can.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 06-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old
06-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I still am trying to figure out why Crosby chose $300,000 more, if the story is true. If he is going to give the Pens a break, why would the notoriously superstitious Crosby give them a $5 million per break but not go the extra $300,000 to get the figure to match his number?

Closed Thread