HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

That'll do CRTC... That'll do...

Old
06-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
That'll do CRTC... That'll do...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle12305333/

Quote:
The federal telecom regulator is introducing mandatory new rules that will allow Canadians to cancel their cellphone contracts after two years, without incurring any cancellation fees, even if they have agreed to a longer term.
Quote:
The CRTC is also introducing other new consumer-friendly rules that cap charges for data overage and data roaming. The new code will apply to new contracts for cellphones and other mobile devices starting on Dec. 2, 2013.
Quote:
For instance, the CRTC will limit overage charges for data at $50 a month, while international data roaming charges will be capped at $100 a month to prevent “bill shock.”

Consumers will also have the right to have their smartphones “unlocked” after 90 days, which will assist them in switching carriers since locked devices only work on a particular company’s network. Consumers who pay full price for their cellphones can demand immediate unlocking of their devices, the CRTC said.
Things are looking up. Only took them a decade...

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
"Customers who purchase subsidized devices must still pay an early cancellation fee to leave their contracts but that fee cannot exceed the value of the device subsidy."

Could you explain what 'value of the device subsidy' means?

06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Kestrel

I'm going to guess that means that if you paid $100 for a $500 phone, the company can only recoup the $400 subsidy that you took advantage of, and can't actually try to profit by you cancelling early.

And yeah, there's still a long way to go, but these are good solid changes.

Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:58 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I was comparing my cell phone plan to a friend of mine in Australia and it's sad how much I have to pay for the things I get compared to what she gets

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I'm going to guess that means that if you paid $100 for a $500 phone, the company can only recoup the $400 subsidy that you took advantage of, and can't actually try to profit by you cancelling early.

That pretty much is the same as cancelling your plan a year+ in advance, no? Seems kind of pointless.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
That pretty much is the same as cancelling your plan a year+ in advance, no? Seems kind of pointless.
It basically just means the company can't give you a poison pill of a contract. ie 1 year on a 2 year contract with a subsidized phone, after the cancellation fee can't cost more than buying the phone outright, and getting a year of service. Otherwise, a company could have made cancelling after a year equal to buying the phone outright, getting a year of service, plus a hefty penalty.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Goodbye three year contracts, hello more expensive two year contracts!

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

I'm a good ole CRTC hater but this is a sign of change.

If that change is good or bad is still up for grabs.

If it's up to the Telecoms it's gonna be bad but in a newer, more different way.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Hell, the cap on the excessive data fees is gonna help parents with stupid children everywhere.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Peter Zezel
CDN Werewolf in LDN

I wonder if carriers will start offering significantly lower sim only contracts now. It would also be nice if this increases the life span of the average cell phone and turns the trend of more people buying phones outright over subsidizing them with a higher monthly bill.

Peter Zezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
D Fresh
Certified Dope

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...-wireless.html

Hell ya!
I'm so damn excited for December now.
I take back the mean things I said about you CRTC. You're slowly redeeming yourselves.

D Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

About damn time.

I still have 12-13 months left on my 3-year Blackberry contract, so it sucks that I can't get grandfathered in here, but it's a bonus on the next contract for sure!

Now to see how the Big Three go after our wallets with this new roadblock in place.

06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

All really good things for customers that people will be freaking out about on a daily basis because of how it will affect phone discounts.

*sigh* Things i've been pushing for and i'm dreading the results.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
About damn time.

I still have 12-13 months left on my 3-year Blackberry contract, so it sucks that I can't get grandfathered in here, but it's a bonus on the next contract for sure!

Now to see how the Big Three go after our wallets with this new roadblock in place.
So far the only thing that has happened is usually it's more expensive to get a hardware upgrade before any contract is over now.

And let me tell you it's been hell. People out here absolutely HATE paying for phones. People also have ridiculously exaggerated levels of how much they think they pay.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:06 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

about ****ing time. baby steps I like it

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:11 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
So far the only thing that has happened is usually it's more expensive to get a hardware upgrade before any contract is over now.

And let me tell you it's been hell. People out here absolutely HATE paying for phones. People also have ridiculously exaggerated levels of how much they think they pay.
I dunno. There are always ways to get around early upgrade charges.

I wasn't due for an upgrade for another 6 months, but I called Bell and told them a button from my phone had fallen out and I couldn't update my software without it crashing, basically meaning my phone was useless (which was all true). The lady told me there was nothing they could do unless I paid an early upgrade fee. I refused and asked them exactly when my contract ended. She told me then I said "Good to know because I'll be taking my business elsewhere at that time."

Two days later I received a text message from Bell stating: "Congratulations! You are now eligible for an early phone upgrade! Head to your nearest Bell dealer to complete this process"

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

Rogers has been like this for a while (they call it the Flex Tab) I just assumed that all Canadian Carriers already did this.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Rogers has been like this for a while (they call it the Flex Tab) I just assumed that all Canadian Carriers already did this.
All of them do, whats changed is that subsidies have to be payed for by the 2 year mark making it confusing what the third year is about...

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I dunno. There are always ways to get around early upgrade charges.

I wasn't due for an upgrade for another 6 months, but I called Bell and told them a button from my phone had fallen out and I couldn't update my software without it crashing, basically meaning my phone was useless (which was all true). The lady told me there was nothing they could do unless I paid an early upgrade fee. I refused and asked them exactly when my contract ended. She told me then I said "Good to know because I'll be taking my business elsewhere at that time."

Two days later I received a text message from Bell stating: "Congratulations! You are now eligible for an early phone upgrade! Head to your nearest Bell dealer to complete this process"
You might have become eligible for an early upgrade (which has a charge).

This also depends on when this happened as all the biggest hardware pricing changes to discounts i'm talking about have happened when the bill 60 legislation took affect in mid February, so if you aren't talking about something that has happened in the last 3 months it is/was totally different.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Although I am interested to see what this 2 year rule does to the big companies. That's going to be odd.

Right now it's nearly impossible to get a (full) hardware-upgrade less than 28 months into a contract because of the February changes. I'm interested to see what happens when people can just straight cancel after 24 with no penalty.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Although I am interested to see what this 2 year rule does to the big companies. That's going to be odd.

Right now it's nearly impossible to get a (full) hardware-upgrade less than 28 months into a contract because of the February changes. I'm interested to see what happens when people can just straight cancel after 24 with no penalty.
I'm more interested in seeing how it effects people who don't go with contracts, if at all. I've never bought a phone under contract, and don't plan on doing so in the future, particularly now that it looks like I might be back and forth between Canada and Brazil.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
I'm more interested in seeing how it effects people who don't go with contracts, if at all. I've never bought a phone under contract, and don't plan on doing so in the future, particularly now that it looks like I might be back and forth between Canada and Brazil.
I have an unlocked iphone on pay as you go. I swear if telus decides to rip you off because they are "losing" money with these 2 year contracts I'll lose it

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
They've already made plans better for people off contract.

The best plans I know of right now, where I work, for the price are on no contract (you can't get phone discounts with those plans).

But people wont take them and freak out at how much phones costs.

Very backwards, "but on this plan you'll save $40/month...." "but the phone is $400 more!!!!"

Old
06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
They've already made plans better for people off contract.

The best plans I know of right now, where I work, for the price are on no contract (you can't get phone discounts with those plans).

But people wont take them and freak out at how much phones costs.

Very backwards, "but on this plan you'll save $40/month...." "but the phone is $400 more!!!!"
Yeah - I find most people really don't have a firm understanding of finances. They can understand immediate "with this plan, I pay $50 now, with this one I pay $500 now" finances, but they don't understand the long term impact.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:42 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Yeah - I find most people really don't have a firm understanding of finances. They can understand immediate "with this plan, I pay $50 now, with this one I pay $500 now" finances, but they don't understand the long term impact.
I should say not EVERYONE is like this, but as a % of people who think about it i'd put it under 5%.