HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

What would happen if a chl player was to try to play in the ahl?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
  #1
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
What would happen if a chl player was to try to play in the ahl?

What would happen if a chl trained player that has not played in the chl for 4 seasons and is not 20 years old decided to sign a contract with an ahl team and play for them?

Has anyone ever tried to do this?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:58 PM
  #2
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
If he took four seasons off? He probably wouldn't make an AHL team.

There are some players on AHL only contracts though, i'm sure some of those trained in the CHL.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:07 PM
  #3
insider
@MarkF_FC
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Do you mean if an 18 year old player who has just played 2 CHL seasons were to sign with an AHL team?

If so, I'm pretty sure it's just against the rules. Exactly like an NCAA team trying to play a 16 year old who hasn't graduated from High School or an NHL team signing Nathan MacKinnon this summer.

insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:14 PM
  #4
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Do you mean if an 18 year old player who has just played 2 CHL seasons were to sign with an AHL team?

If so, I'm pretty sure it's just against the rules. Exactly like an NCAA team trying to play a 16 year old who hasn't graduated from High School or an NHL team signing Nathan MacKinnon this summer.
yes that is what i mean but the examples you gave are different

my situation is different because,18 year olds are allowed to play in the ahl unless they are chl trained, but if a player quits the chl with the intention of signing with an nhl team to play for their ahl team, i know some thing would probably end up going to court but who would it be between and would it be worth the risk for the ahl team to go to court over it

nathan mackinnon can't be signed because the nhl doesn't allow 16 year olds to play and neither does the NCAA

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
  #5
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
yes that is what i mean but the examples you gave are different

my situation is different because,18 year olds are allowed to play in the ahl unless they are chl trained, but if a player quits the chl with the intention of signing with an nhl team to play for their ahl team, i know some thing would probably end up going to court but who would it be between and would it be worth the risk for the ahl team to go to court over it

nathan mackinnon can't be signed because the nhl doesn't allow 16 year olds to play and neither does the NCAA
If he played in the CHL before his draft year, he can't until he is 20. No exceptions. Doesn't matter if he "quits" the CHL.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
  #6
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,944
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
If he played in the CHL before his draft year, he can't until he is 20. No exceptions. Doesn't matter if he "quits" the CHL.
This isn't true. If they play four full CHL seasons, as has been mentioned in this thread, they can play in the AHL.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
  #7
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
This isn't true. If they play four full CHL seasons, as has been mentioned in this thread, they can play in the AHL.
you need to be 20 years of age to have played 4 full seasons in the CHL.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
  #8
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
you need to be 20 years of age to have played 4 full seasons in the CHL.
not in the ohl with the exceptional player status

and yeah i understand it is a rule but what if that rule is broken?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:47 PM
  #9
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
not in the ohl with the exceptional player status

and yeah i understand it is a rule but what if that rule is broken?
player is illegal and the team loses automatically the game, i'd guess.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:48 PM
  #10
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
player is illegal and the team loses automatically the game, i'd guess.
but why should the ahl respect that rule?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:51 PM
  #11
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
not in the ohl with the exceptional player status

and yeah i understand it is a rule but what if that rule is broken?
You can't just break the rule, it's hard and fast. It's like saying "what if you get ejected from a game for a dangerous hit, but refuse to leave the ice?" If you physically would not leave, security would remove you by force I suppose. I don't see what kind of court case there would be, it's a reasonable and professional agreement made between the CHL and the AHL/NHL, and it's not like rights/freedoms are really being infringed upon, there are many non-AHL leagues to join if you want to leave the CHL.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
  #12
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
but why should the ahl respect that rule?
They wouldn't respect their own rules? This is an agreement between the CHL and AHL, not just something the CHL has imposed by themselves.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
  #13
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
but why should the ahl respect that rule?
Because its a development league for the NHL and they would breaking a legal document between the CHL/NHL that says no Under 20 player drafted from the CHL can play in AHL until his junior club season is completed

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:55 PM
  #14
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
but why should the ahl respect that rule?
The CHL is essentially a farm league for the AHL, just as the AHL is essentially a farm league for the NHL. The AHL wants to keep the CHL healthy and functioning, because the CHL trains so much of their talent, and that means letting them have their stars just a little bit longer. Besides, the AHL is more or less controlled by the NHL, and the NHL feels the same way, they're cool with waiting a touch longer for their talent to develop if it means a healthy farm league in the CHL.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:58 PM
  #15
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
You can't just break the rule, it's hard and fast. It's like saying "what if you get ejected from a game for a dangerous hit, but refuse to leave the ice?" If you physically would not leave, security would remove you by force I suppose. I don't see what kind of court case there would be, it's a reasonable and professional agreement made between the CHL and the AHL/NHL, and it's not like rights/freedoms are really being infringed upon, there are many non-AHL leagues to join if you want to leave the CHL.
i wasnt sure if the rule was an agreement between the ahl and the chl or just a rule made by the ahl, and if it is an agreement what does the ahl get out of it?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  #16
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
i wasnt sure if the rule was an agreement between the ahl and the chl or just a rule made by the ahl, and if it is an agreement what does the ahl get out of it?
The AHL gets tonnes of support from NHL teams, as in players they do not pay, developmental staff, etc.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM
  #17
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Here's a quick summary of the agreement, and how it works:

http://prospectsannex.blogspot.com/2...ave-to-be.html

__________________
Follow me on Twitter! @Brian_Fogarty
Brian Fogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:26 PM
  #18
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Do you mean if an 18 year old player who has just played 2 CHL seasons were to sign with an AHL team?

If so, I'm pretty sure it's just against the rules. Exactly like an NCAA team trying to play a 16 year old who hasn't graduated from High School or an NHL team signing Nathan MacKinnon this summer.
Um...I wouldn't say it's exactly like the bolded. An NCAA team can't play a 16 year old without a High School diploma because a 16 year old without a High School diploma can't enroll in college. There's that whole school aspect of playing in the NCAA that doesn't apply to the AHL rules.

Back on topic, and already been stated, but it just won't happen. All parties involved (CHL, AHL, NHL) have agreed to this set of rules, so there's really no motivation for them to break them.

WreckItRask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:48 PM
  #19
rick3652
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
i wasnt sure if the rule was an agreement between the ahl and the chl or just a rule made by the ahl, and if it is an agreement what does the ahl get out of it?
It is a rule between the NHL and the CHL teams it has nothing to do with the AHL. The NHL owns the AHL teams.

The rules is if a player has not played more than 4 years he either has to make the NHL team or go back to their CHL team until the season ends. Then if they are draft by a NHL team then they could play for their NHL or AHL team for the reason of the season.

It is not just 4 years it is also at the age of 20 as some players could only play one year in the CHL.

So players that come into the OHL teams at age 15 could play in the AHL at 19.

rick3652 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:48 PM
  #20
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Could a European player signed for an ahl-team and get drafted out of the ahl?

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:57 PM
  #21
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,944
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Could a European player signed for an ahl-team and get drafted out of the ahl?
I don't see why not but there's a reason you never see it happen.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
  #22
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Could a European player signed for an ahl-team and get drafted out of the ahl?
Not in this day in age...As many have said the AHL is a developmental league and AHL teams aren't going to sign players that haven't gone through the draft process and on top of that the would have to be 18 by September 15.

Back in the 90's you saw Sergi Samsanov drafted from the IHL (a league equivalent to the AHL back then) but the AHL and IHL weren't a development league like we think of it today.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:53 PM
  #23
Konnan511
#FreePulu
 
Konnan511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Traverse City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
but why should the ahl respect that rule?
Then NHL will form the same agreement with the ECHL and use them as their primary affiliates.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:55 PM
  #24
Konnan511
#FreePulu
 
Konnan511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Traverse City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,494
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Um...I wouldn't say it's exactly like the bolded. An NCAA team can't play a 16 year old without a High School diploma because a 16 year old without a High School diploma can't enroll in college. There's that whole school aspect of playing in the NCAA that doesn't apply to the AHL rules.

Back on topic, and already been stated, but it just won't happen. All parties involved (CHL, AHL, NHL) have agreed to this set of rules, so there's really no motivation for them to break them.
Actually that's not true. You can dual enroll in college if you're in HS as long as you meet the requirements. None of which is having a diploma.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
  #25
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Estonia
Posts: 21,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
not in the ohl with the exceptional player status

and yeah i understand it is a rule but what if that rule is broken?
If a player is granted exceptional status, though, it's pretty doubtful he'd ever be in the AHL.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.