Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Who is Niklas Svedberg?

Old
05-23-2012, 02:10 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

vCash: 500
Who is Niklas Svedberg?

There are some distant reports that he has (or will) join the Boston Bruins organization. Can anyone tell me what type of a goaltender he is? Does he seem like NHL material to those of you who have watched him play?

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
There are some distant reports that he has (or will) join the Boston Bruins organization. Can anyone tell me what type of a goaltender he is? Does he seem like NHL material to those of you who have watched him play?
Per Eliteprospects:

A modern goalie with good technique. Very aggressive and possesses quite a temper. Need to work on his rebound control.

Personally, as a casual Brynasfan (concentrates on the Flyers), he was decent during the regular season and a beast in the playoffs. He has some decent size too. Not great, but not bad either. Right now, he's not starter material. A season in the minors would do him good. But I can only see him as a back up taking ~25 games off Rask's shoulders. (If he's still with the Bruins when Thomas is gone).

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
He got hot in the playoffs, before that he was one of the worst goalies in the league.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Glory

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:09 PM
joe89

I understand why an NHL team signs him. He's young and it's a no-risk move, no draft picks involved. He's big and he's shown big improvement lately.

But for him personally, I can't see what good it would do for him to go over and play with the Bruins organisation next year. Most probably he would be their AHL backup or maybe even more likely the ECHL starter.. Thomas, Rask and Khudobin are ahead on the depth chart and that won't change. Hutchinson is younger and has more NA experience. Not familiar with the rest of the depth chart, but I could easily see Svedberg being only the fifth string within the organisation.

So a scenario where he in the BEST case plays ~30-35 AHL games, but more likely ECHL hockey, instead of being a SEL starter? Mattias Modig v.2.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote