HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

GM Search

Old
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I seem to recall Chuck Fletcher being among the top 3-4 candidates. I read somewhere a reference to Shero not having a huge ego and then a comment about how he hired Fletcher as assistant GM, who also was a serious candidate for the job.

As for Pierre McGuire, if memory serves, he was Shero's first choice for assistant GM (he and Pierre are big buddies), but McGuire wasn't interested. McGuire has been looking for that GM job. Shero tried to sell him on being an assistant as a stepping stone, Pierre said 'no thanks', and Shero then hired Fletcher.
Yup I remember that. I think it's pretty clear in Pierre's case that it's either GM or he stays on tv. He now has a huge contract with CBC and I think he could only leave if he gets a GM position

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Yup I remember that. I think it's pretty clear in Pierre's case that it's either GM or he stays on tv. He now has a huge contract with CBC and I think he could only leave if he gets a GM position
What's funny is that, if he'd taken Shero up on the offer in 2006, then McGuire almost assuredly would be a GM by now.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What's funny is that, if he'd taken Shero up on the offer in 2006, then McGuire almost assuredly would be a GM by now.
There has to be a reason why he doesn't want to be an assistant and learn the ropes before taking over

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:33 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I don't know how anyone could want to hire PM. I mean maybe his act on TV isn't representative of his knowledge. He really comes off as of having little knowledge of talent. He just picks a player that people already know as a good player & ignores the rest of the game.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I don't know how anyone could want to hire PM. I mean maybe his act on TV isn't representative of his knowledge. He really comes off as of having little knowledge of talent. He just picks a player that people already know as a good player & ignores the rest of the game.
I wouldn't say that at all.

I would say that Pierre has these weird blinders that he gets that make him unable to notice a particular player's flaws and to exagerrate his strengths to an outrageous extent.

But it's not with every player. It's, like, 1 in 100 players this happens with.

He used to have the old beer goggles with richards (its not as bad as it once was now), now it's Nino Neiderreiter, Brayden Schenn and, I think, Brett Connelly. Couple others.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:40 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

I'd say it is more than 1 in 100. And it goes to where all he sees are a player's flaws in some cases too.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:39 PM
kahlon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

His knowledge about Hockey is more than any American sportscaster, he has a strong passion for the game. he just sometimes is a bit weird

kahlon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
This article says all you need to know about why Pierre McGuire won't take an Assistant GM position.

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-...-paul-holmgren

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:57 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
This article says all you need to know about why Pierre McGuire won't take an Assistant GM position.

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-...-paul-holmgren
Good catch, Mibby. Well, there's another thing I've not got to give Holmgren grudging respect for . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote