HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Community: Part Four - Community is Back

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

vCash: 500
Adam devine!!!

Old
03-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Good ep. Liked the Shawshank references

Old
03-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Haven't managed to catch an episode this season... Will need to catch up.

Adam DeVine though... yeahh

Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Elever
Hth

2 solid episodes in a row. Though it lacked the subtle humour which made the old ones so great.

Car accidents, Tara Reid, and the Hindenburg lol. I like how they incorporate a bit of Daybreak into almost every episode now.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:40 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Thought it was a solid episode. This season has been no worse than Season 3.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:50 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Episode was worth watching to see Adam. Eventually though I just felt shortchanged because I realized I could have been watching a Workaholics rerun.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:39 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Liked the Jeff plot. Classic Britta-Jeff episode. Dislike Abed narrating - destroys any subtlety.

03-09-2013, 03:29 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Pierce had some good lines this episode.

I found this by the way. It addresses some of my criticisms but not all but it certainly makes it's point - the showrunner and writers completely lost it by s3.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 03-09-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 07:15 AM
P U L L H A R D

One of the better episodes so far this year, though the show obviously lacks the Harmon-esque subtlety it had in S1, 2 and parts of 3.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

I found this by the way. It addresses some of my criticisms but not all but it certainly makes it's point - the showrunner and writers completely lost it by s3.

The characters did change from S1 and s2, but there really isn't any reason to complain about it. I'm fine with the change.

The episodes are still hilarious, save for the dud every now and then. But then again, you can't expect perfection from every episode. Let's not put this show at American Dad standards.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

I agree completely with this, but this happens with even the best of shows. Seinfeld fell victim to the exact same thing. George was always morally bankrupt, but he started as decently clever but became stupid as hell. Kramer was weird, but he became completely disconnected from reality. etc. There's still some decent laughs to be had from seasons 7-9 from Seinfeld, but when I rewatch I almost always take a 1-5 season episode to watch now. Same thing with Community, first two seasons are miles better, but there's still some decent laughs to be had in seasons 3-4, IMO.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I agree completely with this, but this happens with even the best of shows. Seinfeld fell victim to the exact same thing. George was always morally bankrupt, but he started as decently clever but became stupid as hell. Kramer was weird, but he became completely disconnected from reality. etc. There's still some decent laughs to be had from seasons 7-9 from Seinfeld, but when I rewatch I almost always take a 1-5 season episode to watch now. Same thing with Community, first two seasons are miles better, but there's still some decent laughs to be had in seasons 3-4, IMO.
With Seinfeld it took how many episodes before they ran out of yarn? And still the later, post-David, seasons were consistently amoral and funny. The characters mutated, as they do, but the themes stuck.

Community ran out of steam after like 30 episodes and people are praising Megan Ganz and Harmon for their vision? You kidding?

Old
03-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
That's why I prefer when shows are finite and end on a coherent high note.

Old
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Pierce had some good lines this episode

He really did. I think he's usually decent but I did like him a lot in this one.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
I think you mean, "Streets Ahead".

Old
03-10-2013, 11:49 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

I will watch every episode of this series until the day it's no longer on.

I'm a diehard that started with the first episode, like many of you other diehards, but I'm having a tough time with this season.

On the one hand, I'm very happy that it was picked back up for a 4th season. I love the series so much, I love the chemistry that they all have with each other (even Chevy has SOME chemistry with them, but he is mostly a vacuum of ensemble comedy).

But the loss of Harmon, who despite his flaws as a Boss (being an a**hole and whatnot) was the creative force for it, the loss of Harmon has hit this series VERY hard. Probably harder than NBC and even the new Showrunners thought that it would.

The episodes I've watched I just can't shake the following feeling: That I'm watching a show CALLED "Community" but it's not the same as the old "Community", true it has all the same Actors/Characters of the "old" Community, but I just doesn't feel the same.

I almost liken it to Season 8 of "The Office". That season just didn't feel like a regular season of "The Office".

Perhaps we all built it up too much in our heads, and if that's the case, I'd have no one to blame but myself for my disjointed views on the current season.

That said, I actually liked the Inspector Spacetime Convetion episode and the Thanksgiving Episode.

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
03-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I will watch every episode of this series until the day it's no longer on.
I can never relate to this mentality. What drives it? Isn't being a diehard fan greater reason to ignore its existence when it gets bad?

I love The Simpsons more than anything and I couldn't stop watching it when it got bad fast enough.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I can never relate to this mentality. What drives it? Isn't being a diehard fan greater reason to ignore its existence when it gets bad?
Nope. The definition of a diehard fan is grinding it out through the bad times as well as the good times.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Nope. The definition of a diehard fan is grinding it out through the bad times as well as the good times.
I guess you're right that that is the literal definition of the "diehard" part, but I still really don't understand the mentality (and for the record, I really don't think that I necessarily love alot of these things any less than people who do).

It's always felt silly to me. I get it on a "Maybe it'll get better later" level, but "until the day it's no longer on, regardless of how bad it gets", not so much.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

The Simpsons is an outlier

They got so bad so quick that everyone, including diehard fans, quit on them

Old
03-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Elever
Hth

Oh the decline of the Simpsons was sooooooooooo much worse. They bounced back somewhat at one point but in general it was as if that show fell off a cliff. I would certainly say that in Community it hasn't been that bad and there hasn't been a bad episode so far this season (3 mediocre, 1 good, and 1 great one).

And I didn't quit on the Simpsons until two weeks ago so for sure will not on this show.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Chileiceman

Just watched the Thanksgiving episode. Best of the season so far. Very good episode IMO. I hope this isn't it for the show. I really want 6 seasons and a movie, but I'll be lucky if there's even a short 5th season with the ratings the way they are now.

It reminds me of when Abed found out the Cougartown was starting at mid-season. "It's the kiss of death for TV shows". I'll need to find my Inspector Space Time.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
The Simpsons is an outlier

They got so bad so quick that everyone, including diehard fans, quit on them
I just think it's silly to be too stubborn about it on principle alone.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post

I love The Simpsons more than anything and I couldn't stop watching it when it got bad fast enough.
I agree with you, but ask that question on the main boards: Would you stop watching if your team is just in shambles (like the organization doesn't care or so).

Edit: still like the show

Old
03-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
I agree with you, but ask that question on the main boards: Would you stop watching if your team is just in shambles (like the organization doesn't care or so).

Edit: still like the show
I think that's completely different. To some degree, the whole point of sports are the highs and lows, the trainwrecks and redemptions and the emotional involvement/momentum with the team. It doesn't make sense to watch television with that rah-rah mentality. Unlike with sports, a good episode isn't any sweeter if it built up from years of being frustrated by bad ones.

With Sports, if you just win every game and steamroll over anyone, it loses its charm as a viewer. With television, if every episode is perfect, it's the greatest thing in the world.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-12-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Closed Thread