HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Malkin to Washington

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Emanresu Wen

vCash: 500
Malkin to Washington

Disclaimer : I know I'm going to get crap and tomatoes thrown at me for simply starting this thread, but whatever, this is a forum and a forum is made for talking.

The goal of this thread is to see if there's a way to reunite Malkin and Ovechkin on a same team.

A trade would definitely start with Backstrom+

Old
05-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Carlzner

Seriously? No........ why....

Old
05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
MalcontentCapsFan

Ugh. No.

The price would gut the Caps. Pens would ask for a lot more than just Backstrom to break up the chemistry Malkin has with Neal. Plus with Crosby's health and Staal possibly leaving, it would leave Pittsburgh without a lot of size and strength down the middle even with Backstrom going the other way.

It just doesn't work out for either team.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Ok, I play. Not entirely sure for what we would want Backstrom. He is good, don't get me wrong about that, but why would we not just promote Staal? If we tell him "LOL, and now you are stuck behind Backstrom, isn't that funny" than he damn well should leave as an UFA.

Also it seems like a move, that even if you were able to send players the Pens actually needed back, that would never get made. Sending one of Pittburgh billboard players to Washington.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:22 AM
patches67

*Tomato thrown*

But, I guess for the hell of it,

Maybe something like,

Backstrom
Carlson
Holtby
1st (Col)
1st (Wsh)

for

Malkin
Strait

Old
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Halpysback*

9.5 per or league max as a UFA

Old
05-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
*Insert Crap Hurricane here*

Quote:
Backstrom
Carlson
Holtby
1st (Col)
1st (Wsh)
Smth like that.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Switching Malkin for Backstrom doesn't improve Washington's center depth nor does it clear the log jam in Pittsburgh. The young defensemen (Carlson, Alzner, Green, Orlov) seem like more sensible pieces to move in this deal, even if they lack the individual value of Backstrom.

Malkin for Kuznetsov, Carlson, Neuvirth, Col 1st (11th), Wash 1st (16th), Semin's UFA rights. Return is mostly futures, so I highly doubt Pittsburgh bites, but it does give them a first chance to grab Semin to play on Crosby's wing and a future winger for Crosby in Kuznetsov.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Make it stop.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Let's take a look at this through statistics.

Going by each players career stats, a typical 82 games season for Malkin would be 40-61-101, while for Backstrom it's 23-60-83. Upgrading from Backstrom to Malkin nets the Caps 17 goals and 1 assist per year (an interesting note: while Malkin produces 22% more points than Backstrom he comes at a 30% higher cap hit, which will only go up when his contract expires after next year).

Without even looking at Backstrom's advantage in two-way play, I'm struggling to see how the difference in their value is enough to warrant the payment being suggested here.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:47 PM
TorontoTrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post

Going by each players career stats, a typical 82 games season for Malkin would be 40-61-101, while for Backstrom it's 23-60-83. Upgrading from Backstrom to Malkin nets the Caps 17 goals and 1 assist per year (an interesting note: while Malkin produces 22% more points than Backstrom he comes at a 30% higher cap hit, which will only go up when his contract expires after next year).

Without even looking at Backstrom's advantage in two-way play, I'm struggling to see how the difference in their value is enough to warrant the payment being suggested here.

this... Malkin fanboys gonna cry saying Malkins the best.. just keep Backstrom and Alzner/Carlson and move forward.

obviously the trade would never happen but the thread is to find even value... sorry but Backstrom++++ isn't for Malkin

Old
05-23-2012, 12:55 PM
binop7

Quote:

Agreed, I'm thinking realistically

Backs
Carlson or Alzner
maybe Orlov

for

Malkin

Helps the pens D quite a bit and the centre depth would still be there. Not sure why the caps do this though, would prob kill their depth with geno needing a raise soon.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:12 PM
JWells16

Whatever the offer is, Washington is going to need to throw in a bullet proof vest and an armored car for Shero so that he can get to and from the games.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Whatever the offer is, Washington is going to need to throw in a bullet proof vest and an armored car for Shero so that he can get to and from the games.
Is Malkin at more/less/the same popularity level as Sid in Pitts?

Old
05-23-2012, 01:15 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:

Yeah, that really depends which one of them is starting point.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
flamesfan5

Instead of complaining about what the thread is about why not just go to another thread. The OP is trying to get a fair value trade, last time I checked thats whats these boards are for. I would be curious to see the return Pitts would want.

No one is forcing you to read this thread.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
this... Malkin fanboys gonna cry saying Malkins the best..
So is Ovy a Malkin fanboy? He recently stated that Malkin is the best.

What's wrong with thinking about it as fantasy? Malkin with Ovy probably brings back Semin. Creates one hell of a dynamite line, probably the best Russian line in the history of the NHL.

It would cost the Caps a ton and rightfully so, just like if someone called and asked them about Ovy or Backstrom. ***** ain't free.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Is Malkin at more/less/the same popularity level as Sid in Pitts?
Honestly, most of the fans that I know like Malkin more. I'm sure if someone took a poll, Sid would win the most popular though. I would imagine the breakdown being around 60%-40%, but I did just make those numbers up going solely off of my gut.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:26 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan5 View Post
Instead of complaining about what the thread is about why not just go to another thread. The OP is trying to get a fair value trade, last time I checked thats whats these boards are for. I would be curious to see the return Pitts would want.

No one is forcing you to read this thread.
Except, Malkin is the kind of player that you simply cannot get the "fair value" for.

Pens wouldn't do this for a number of reasons, it's that simple.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Riptide

I actually wouldn't take Backstrom, but would promote Staal... And other than Alzner and Carlson there's not a lot that would make me actually consider moving him to the Capitals. They don't have a top end goal scoring winger (such as Ryan, Eberle, etc) that they would actually move, and I'm not sure you can move Malkin without getting a couple high end forwards back.

I'd consider something around Malkin for Eberle and Hall, or Ryan and Perry (not that either of these would happen, but you see where I'm going). The caps do not have the same depth on the wing to do this. And as much as I like Alzner and Carlson (would be a huge upgrade to our D), you don't move Malkin for both of them.

I could however see a deal around Staal for one of them. Not sure how the value works out, but could see something like this happening if Staal is moved.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:30 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Except, Malkin is the kind of player that you simply cannot get the "fair value" for.

Pens wouldn't do this for a number of reasons, it's that simple.
I agree that it wouldn't happen, but Washington is actually probably a decent trading partner in this case. Backstrom is as much of an elite player as Malkin is, although Malkin is better. 90% of these trade rumor threads are fantasies anyways. Plus Semin Malkin OV would be a dangerous line in the NHL considering their chemistry.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I actually wouldn't take Backstrom, but would promote Staal... And other than Alzner and Carlson there's not a lot that would make me actually consider moving him to the Capitals. They don't have a top end goal scoring winger (such as Ryan, Eberle, etc) that they would actually move, and I'm not sure you can move Malkin without getting a couple high end forwards back.

I'd consider something around Malkin for Eberle and Hall, or Ryan and Perry (not that either of these would happen, but you see where I'm going). The caps do not have the same depth on the wing to do this. And as much as I like Alzner and Carlson (would be a huge upgrade to our D), you don't move Malkin for both of them.

I could however see a deal around Staal for one of them. Not sure how the value works out, but could see something like this happening if Staal is moved.
I can't speak for them, but I can't see any Caps fan being ok with Staal for Carlson/Alzner

Old
05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Shady Machine

Since people whine and moan when Pens fans post overpayments for their star players, why don't we flip the question. What would it take to unite Ovy in Pittsburgh with Malkin? And Crosby isn't a viable response.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Since people whine and moan when Pens fans post overpayments for their star players, why don't we flip the question. What would it take to unite Ovy in Pittsburgh with Malkin? And Crosby isn't a viable response.
Neal+Letang+ Is what I'm guessing Washington would ask for

Old
05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
I agree that it wouldn't happen, but Washington is actually probably a decent trading partner in this case. Backstrom is as much of an elite player as Malkin is, although Malkin is better. 90% of these trade rumor threads are fantasies anyways. Plus Semin Malkin OV would be a dangerous line in the NHL considering their chemistry.
How do you figure that nother Eastern Conference team is "decent trading partner" for a player of Malkin's level?

Closed Thread