HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Conference Final Ratings

Old
05-24-2012, 01:27 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
Conference Final Ratings

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/5/2...-kings-coyotes

"Game 5 of the series, which featured the Los Angeles Kings eliminating the Phoenix Coyotes in overtime, drew 1.21 million viewers. This is up 40 percent from Game 5 of the 2011 Western Conference Final, which also featured an overtime winner that clinched a series victory, in that case for the Vancouver Canucks.

The game was helped by record-setting numbers locally. According to a spokesperson from NBC Sports, the game drew a 2.9 rating in Los Angeles, and a 5.8 in Phoenix. Those are both records for the NHL in these two markets, and NBC Sports Network was the No. 1 cable network in both cities on Wednesday night.

The Los Angeles numbers are particularly impressive, given that Anaheim -- which counts in the LA market -- had two Stanley Cup Final games on VERSUS in 2007. For the record, the rating in LA for Anaheim's two Stanley Cup Final games on VERSUS were a 1.7 for Game 1 and an 0.9 for Game 2."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:31 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

i find it interesting that we drew more than Vancouver and SJ. That's pretty impressive. But why is it disappointing? I am guessing it's because nbc is bigger than Versus? So we were supposed to do better?

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
This is a very invalid and bad comparison.

The Vancouver numbers are VERY deceiving because people in Vancouver did not watch the game on Versus.

2 fanbases watched game 5 this year as opposed to just 1 last year in the USA.

Pointless comparison.

The Anaheim Stanley Cup final ALSO had a Canadian team in it and the Ottawa fanbase ALSO did not watch the game on NBC or versus.

The only paragraph that really means anything is the 2nd one.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:52 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

The Vancouver numbers are VERY deceiving because people in Vancouver did not watch the game on Versus.

Pointless comparison.

The Anaheim Stanley Cup final ALSO had a Canadian team in it and the Ottawa fanbase ALSO did not watch the game on NBC or versus.

It's only poor if you're taking measure of the total popularity (Canada + US + others). But if you care about US Media companies, then these numbers are important.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:

Pointless comparison.

I don't think you understand how ratings work.

The LA ratings for the LA/VCR are strictly LA metro area numbers per hundred of people who live in the LA Metro area.

Same goes for the Ana/ Ott series. The ratings listed are for people viewing the LA Metro area. They didn't measure Ottawa when they came up with the ratings for LA, they only measured for the LA Metro area.

Note there are LA and Phx ratings listed for the WCF

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 05-24-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:56 PM
DeeMeck

The numbers are important, but its unfair to measure 2 US based teams against series that only had 1 US based team.

After re-reading the 3rd paragraph I see they are talking about the LA market only so I withdraw those comments.

Old
05-24-2012, 01:57 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
The numbers are important, but its unfair to measure 2 US based teams against series that only had 1 US based team.
fair 'nuff

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:28 PM
PuckinA
Rookie User

maybe ESPN will take note. I couldn't believe when I opened the last ESPN magazine, thinking the Kings should have a great article written up on there. The only hockey they showed was a two page picture of a nashville fan throwing a CARP(?) fish over the glass .....and a one page article on Dustin Brown's wrist shot. huh??? Most of the magazine covered Futball! (soccer). They say not enough people watch hockey. Their loss. Way to represent.....L.A.

PuckinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

After re-reading the 3rd paragraph I see they are talking about the LA market only so I withdraw those comments.
So you believe the ratings would have been worse in LA if they were playing any of the Canadian teams? How does that make any sense? You believe there were a lot of people in the LA market tuning in because it was the Kings versus an American team? I don't follow that logic.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:51 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
So you believe the ratings would have been worse in LA if they were playing any of the Canadian teams? How does that make any sense? You believe there were a lot of people in the LA market tuning in because it was the Kings versus an American team? I don't follow that logic.
The 1st paragraph isn't talking about the LA market though, it is talking about nationwide viewers. The reason there were 40% more viewers this year nationwide is because there 2 US based teams playing. The ratings are higher because you have 2 fanbases watching, not just one like last year.

The fans in Vancouver didn't watch the game on Versus.

The LA market broke records and that is great. They killed Anaheim's viewership which shouldn't be a surprise. The 5.8 viewership in Phoenix is especially remarkable IMO.

This highlights that NBCSports gets a HUGE windfall when it is 2 teams in the USA playing. It is also why you rarely see a canadian-based team playing Sunday games on NBC during the regular season. They lose alot of viewership.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
The 1st paragraph isn't talking about the LA market though, it is talking about nationwide viewers. The reason there were 40% more viewers this year nationwide is because there 2 US based teams playing. The ratings are higher because you have 2 fanbases watching, not just one like last year.

The fans in Vancouver didn't watch the game on Versus.

The LA market broke records and that is great. They killed Anaheim's viewership which shouldn't be a surprise. The 5.8 viewership in Phoenix is especially remarkable IMO.

This highlights that NBCSports gets a HUGE windfall when it is 2 teams in the USA playing. It is also why you rarely see a canadian-based team playing Sunday games on NBC during the regular season. They lose alot of viewership.
I get that but breaking records in the LA market is impressive. But yeah, I get that they benefit nationally from two US markets in any playoff series. I thought you were implying that the LA ratings would have been worse with a Canadian team.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:55 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

I think NBC plays a huge role in the ratings increase. I've seen a lot of commercials about the NHL playoffs on other NBC channels and also the mothership station (NBC).

Versus absolutely did not market their games anywhere else, maybe a commercial or two elsewhere but nobody knew where or what channel VS/OLN was.

NBC Sports is just scratching the surface here, they want to compete with ESPN and they will grow into a competitive sports network. This is great for hockey, and I hope they get the CBA figured out soon. Can't have another lockout.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 04:15 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I think NBC plays a huge role in the ratings increase. I've seen a lot of commercials about the NHL playoffs on other NBC channels and also the mothership station (NBC).

Versus absolutely did not market their games anywhere else, maybe a commercial or two elsewhere but nobody knew where or what channel VS/OLN was.

NBC Sports is just scratching the surface here, they want to compete with ESPN and they will grow into a competitive sports network. This is great for hockey, and I hope they get the CBA figured out soon. Can't have another lockout.
Agree on all counts.

I'm not terribly concerned about the CBA - particularly given that the players were content to extend the current CBA indefinitely (they are doing quite well under it). So it's on a much more minor scale relatively speaking than having to go from a no-cap system to a hard cap, which was monumental in comparison.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote