HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cage wearers PSA

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Grave77digger

vCash: 500
Cage wearers PSA

I hate you.. Learn to keep your sticks down and play responsibly... This has been a Public Service Announcement.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

As a responsible visor wearer myself, I approve of this message.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:13 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
Thats funny the only times I have seen face cuts and broken noses was from guys without cage, or visors with one exception.

I play net so I get a ring side seat to this crap. If it is that big of an issue put a cage back on eh.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Grave77digger

A little more info. Highsticked by a high school kid at pick up. Ive got a / line across both my lips. Fat, swollen, and I think it fractured my septum. Luckily I already had my teeth knocked out so I didnt lose any this time.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Stickmata

That's the breaks of going without a cage. I too wear only a half shield, but I recognize that I'm taking the risk and don't whine about it when I get clipped once in a while. **** happens on the ice and even the best of players get their sticks up once in a while.

Sorry to hear about your injury though.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Grave77digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
That's the breaks of going without a cage. I too wear only a half shield, but I recognize that I'm taking the risk and don't whine about it when I get clipped once in a while. **** happens on the ice and even the best of players get their sticks up once in a while.

Sorry to hear about your injury though.
This was during the warm up from my own team! Obviously I know the risks... Cage wearers need to know them as well.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
This was during the warm up from my own team!
Okay that's retarded. I'd be pissed off as well.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Renbarg

I have all my teeth, no scaring on my face, and a ****-eating grin.

Wear a cage = no problems

Old
05-27-2012, 09:08 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I have all my teeth, no scaring on my face, and a ****-eating grin.

Wear a cage = no problems
/Discussion

I wore a half shield for about 6 months, took one stick real close to the eye and realized my vision isn't worth it. Were not getting paid to play so I smartly put the cage back on.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:16 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
It's your choice and if you're good with the wind blowing magestically in your face then ok, but I wear a cage and I take sticks in the face all the time. It's a part of the game, not something that only reckless cage wearers do. I know I'd be a lot scruffier looking without my cage!

Old
05-27-2012, 09:17 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Not just sticks, but I took a puck to face yesterday. Glad I was wearing my cage because I considered not wearing it beforehand.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:18 PM
goalie29

In a pickup game I play goal in, a shield wearing player yelled at a guy to keep his stick down (his stick was actually hit by another player, but yeller dude didn't know that bit).

The guy who runs the pickup game happened to be on the ice at the time, and yelled at the yeller "Get a cage!" And that was the end of that.

Seems pretty no-brainer to me - if you care even a little bit about your face, wear a cage.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:19 PM
hockeymass

Oh, it's this discussion again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
In a pickup game I play goal in, a shield wearing player yelled at a guy to keep his stick down (his stick was actually hit by another player, but yeller dude didn't know that bit).

The guy who runs the pickup game happened to be on the ice at the time, and yelled at the yeller "Get a cage!" And that was the end of that.

Seems pretty no-brainer to me - if you care even a little bit about your face, wear a cage.
I'm pretty sure highsticking is against the rules, and wearing a visor isn't. If you can't keep your stick down, you shouldn't be on the ice.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:25 PM
rinkrat22

but yet somehow its our fault for getting hit in the face with their sticks.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:23 PM
goalie29

Stuff happens, though. People shouldn't crash their cars into other people's cars, but it doesn't mean I don't drive defensively or wear a seatbelt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
but yet somehow its our fault for getting hit in the face with their sticks.
No, it's the fault of the person who's stick got up. But you're the one with the scar. I guess if it's worth it feel all superior with a cut up face and missing teeth, then have at 'er. Your choice.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Stickmata

Quote:

So when I board you from behind and break your neck and you complain about not being able to feel your legs, someone should just yell 'Get a Leatt neck brace!" ?

Old
05-28-2012, 01:37 AM
neksys

What? I've been high sticked by plenty of guys with visors too.

Being reckless with your stick is not unique to players with cages.

Sticks come up to face level for all sorts of reasons - not only because of negligence or carelessness.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
I support this thread and would direct it at everyone in general. When I was just starting out, I accidentally hit a few people with some pretty nasty high sticks. Luckily they were wearing cages themselves.

I quickly learned that it's a terrible feeling to high stick someone. Even the first time I did it, my immediate reaction was to turn around and say, "Woah man, sorry, you alright?"

Old
05-28-2012, 06:29 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Stuff happens, though. People shouldn't crash their cars into other people's cars, but it doesn't mean I don't drive defensively or wear a seatbelt.

No, it's the fault of the person who's stick got up. But you're the one with the scar. I guess if it's worth it feel all superior with a cut up face and missing teeth, then have at 'er. Your choice.
No ****, but you don't blame the person who got high sticked. That's dumb. And if everyone keeps their sticks down, nobody gets a scar.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post

If it is that big of an issue put a cage back on eh.
Seems pretty simple to me.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
No ****, but you don't blame the person who got high sticked. That's dumb. And if everyone keeps their sticks down, nobody gets a scar.
But sticks will come up no matter how hard guys try. Pucks get deflected, collisions happen, etc.

The solution is a cage. You can't control what other people do so protect yourself.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
But sticks will come up no matter how hard guys try. Pucks get deflected, collisions happen, etc.

The solution is a cage. You can't control what other people do so protect yourself.
Again, no ****, I know things will happen. It still doesn't mean that it's ok to swing your stick wherever. It's on YOU to keep your stick down, not on me to armor my face so that you can sling your stick wherever you want.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:31 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Again, no ****, I know things will happen. It still doesn't mean that it's ok to swing your stick wherever. It's on YOU to keep your stick down, not on me to armor my face so that you can sling your stick wherever you want.
Cage wearers always try to convince non cage wearers to put one on. They need to focus more time on keeping their stick down than trying to be everyone's dad.

The only times ive ever been high sticked have been a cage-wearer everytime.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I got smacked in the face by a guy wearing no visor/cage. Thankfully I wear a cage.

Maybe this thread should just read "Anyone who plays hockey, control your stick and keep it low."

Old
05-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Scott Hall
The Bad Guy

vCash: 950
Took a stick to the mouth last year while wearing a half shield. Someone was trying to lift my stick, missed and knocked out one tooth and chipped 3 (which had to be replaced as well).

Also had 6 stitches across the lips.

A few weeks later, returned to the ice with a full cage, and during my first game, took a puck off the cage - where my mouth would have been. Well worth the investment.

Closed Thread