HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attn: Dark Side Members - I'm taking full credit for this run!

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 04:55 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Tell us how you really feel Doc......

I could really care less if certain people don't want to enjoy this run with us.

If they want to avoid the forums due to whatever, fine that's their choice.

They are missing out on sharing, and chatting about one hell of a run for our Kings.....
True that.

Just clarifying my earlier post since the word hater can be used in a lot of ways. Now you can feel free to judge me.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:17 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Herby - I'm sorry man, but you're taking this thing to a whole new level. You're really going out of your way to try and win this one. I'm afraid this isn't really a win/lose topic, and in doing so, you're really losing sight of what some of the posters around here were fed up with.

No one doubted their patriotism or questioned if they were a real fan or not. This had nothing to do with team loyalty or agreeing or disagreeing with player transactions or The Kings sucking.

People just got tired of their smugness and their 'I'm only happy when I'm wallowing in self pity because the Kings suck and made all the wrong moves' posts. It was over and over and over and over. It was tiresome.

To me, it was like, on one hand some people drink in life to be miserably happy and on the other, Kings fans who feel the need to be a miserably happy went onto message boards to drown their sorrows. Or perhaps they drank AND went on message boards. Who knows!? That's how I saw the whole thing.

This really had nothing to do with accepting wether or not a fan should agree or disagree with management's decisions or drinking the kool aid.

I'd buy any Kings fan a beer. Always have, always will. But the Negative Nancys I'd rather leave in the dark corner where they're miserably happy.

Old
05-24-2012, 06:47 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney View Post
ROFLMAO PSP....I wanted to take the credit or really give Legion the credit for his near death experience and his come back to see the Kings pull this off

I'm glad you both are here!!!!!!!
Hey! What about me! I donated 4 of my Lamina to the cause!

Old
05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

It is weird that posters who have been long time contributors to multiple Kings message boards and blogs going back to the early days of the 'net aren't more visible right now. We've had multi page threads of doom and gloom, where "fans" took every single opportunity to crap on every aspect of the franchise. And now that this team is putting up results, not a peep. I've always felt those people established the "bitter" part of their personality long before they added "kings fan" to it, I just hope they're finding a way to enjoy the past few weeks.

Old
05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Win or lose this season I still believe Lombardi went about this in the right way.

This team is not built to compete for a Stanley Cup just this season, but is built to get several kicks at the can over the next 7-8 seasons. I am, as I am sure everyone here is, extremely excited to see what the team has accomplished in the playoffs this season.

I hope everyone is enjoying it.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:12 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
PSP-Bandwagon fan since 1973? Kind of sad that the guy who has probably been a fan longer than 99% of the people on here and invested more of his own money than 99% of people on here and now he's the bad guy? The guy gave his opinion, never wavered, he demanded results and for the first time in 19 years the Kings are CLOSE to that result-now it's time to attack? Wow, that's sad.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Homunculous

It gets pretty annoying hearing people criticize fans who have been around since before the Gretzky days for being pessimistic. If you've followed the team that long and are still happy go lucky and an optimist you probably need some sort of therapy because even the sweetest marmalade eventually turns sour. The only way that type of deeply rooted and continually reinforced conditioning can be undone is four wins away.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
PSP-Bandwagon fan since 1973? Kind of sad that the guy who has probably been a fan longer than 99% of the people on here and invested more of his own money than 99% of people on here and now he's the bad guy? The guy gave his opinion, never wavered, he demanded results and for the first time in 19 years the Kings are CLOSE to that result-now it's time to attack? Wow, that's sad.
As a long time fan, I respect his opinion, it's just kind of odd that when the Kings were struggling this year and during previous years, he beat his chest about how right he has been, yet during this run he's been nowhere to be seen. ENJOY THE RUN!!! There is nothing wrong with being skeptical, but when you are proven wrong, be big enough to come out and say so.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:39 AM
sueroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
As a long time fan, I respect his opinion, it's just kind of odd that when the Kings were struggling this year and during previous years, he beat his chest about how right he has been, yet during this run he's been nowhere to be seen. ENJOY THE RUN!!! There is nothing wrong with being skeptical, but when you are proven wrong, be big enough to come out and say so.
How has psp been proven wrong or anyone else for that matter who has been skeptical. They have been fans longer than most, and were not drinking the koolaid. They were expecting results because they were committed yet frustrated fans who heard it all seen it all and were waiting for results. I have been a fan for over 22 years so I am still fresh and hopeful. It is great that all the La fans frustrated, optimistic, drinking the koolaid, on the bandwagon, or whatever are finally able to enjoy this run (well enjoying it since the 93 run which is a long break)

Last edited by sueroe: 05-24-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old
05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

This franchise has been a punchline for 45 years. We have a freaking banner hanging in our arena for a DIVISION title. Our ONLY division title ever. Think about that for a second. 45 years.

When a group of fans have been sold a bill of goods for that long, the old-timers deserve our respect, not ridicule, even if they are pessimists.

I'd like to thank PSP and the other long time "haters" for sticking around this long, even if they are always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I can't blame them, one bit.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:26 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
First off...do you know what bandwagon even means? What you are calling PSP is not a bandwagon fan, so before you insult someone atleast get the meaning of the insult correct.

I can't speak for PSP but my feelings have always been about results. Sports is all about results. If the Kings win a Stanley Cup then Sutter and Lombardi deserve to stay here as long as they want and Lombardi Hockey works, simple as that. Just like if the Kings had missed the playoffs this year in the sixth season, it was probably time to pull the plug. There is no grey area, you either succeed or you don't. I personally didn't think it would work based on past history, but I have been proven wrong, I am man enough to admit it. But if you think because I doubted DL it makes me any less of a Kings fan after supporting the team for almost 25 years you're not even worth talking to.
what a crock. First of all, the haters have been dishing it all year and now you're saying we can't dish it back when we were ultimately right with our team? Bull crap. Haters have called us everything from unknowledgeable (for not knowing this team would fail), sheep (for supporting a team through dark times), their own version of bandwagoner (meaning "you haven't supported this team as long as we have. You're just a Gretzky King fan bull crap), and - I don't even know what this means still - unprotectors of the great LA Kings tradition (for supporting a team that sucks, you are instilling a culture of suck. Is that about right?).

And you think you're some better fan than us just because you demand results? Actually, I think that shows a lack of knowledge. If you're just looking for results, you're no different than the stat mongers who can't see anything passed the numbers. I now laugh at the people who equate this year to the "black hole" years of DT. You were probably one of them, and that's the point, you can't see the difference between this team and the "black hole" years except that we were going to place anywhere from 7th-11th (stat monger). Sad too, because I do consider you one of the more knowledgeable posters. But if your take and demands on the team are so closed minded, then you're knowledge will ultimately be small.

so no... you aren't a bandwagoner. You just aren't as knowledgeable as us and it's important that we remember that in the next conflict we get into. Whether it be - this was a fluke run - or - we're one and done and now we need to rebuild -.

And for the guy who said the haters win both route, naw man... they're serving up this finals run with a dish of crow. This is why they run from the board. How terrible it must be to have to run away from such a momentous occasion with the Kings because of all the crap they dished.

Last edited by KingPurpleDinosaur: 05-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old
05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Good post.

People have a very difficult time differentiating between players, coaches and management and love of a team. Had to deal with a ton of ignorant posts like this leading up to the firing of our football coach at Michigan last year, there are certain people who think if you are not 100% all-in with every player, coach or manager that you are not a true fan, supporter, alumni whatever.

In the eyes of people like kingsfan, albi, trukingfan and even apparently docwest anyone who had any questions simply doesn't deserve to relish in this cup run. I personally find it pathetic, but they are entitled to their ignorant opinions, won't stop me from enjoying and hopefully other "haters" like Zad and diehard are also enjoying this run. I fear Johnny_Utah may have given up on the Kings because he doesn't like the new style of hockey, but hopefully he is enjoying if he is watching.
Savemefromtears had a good reply to this, but I'll add my two cents since you elected to name me in your post.

I have never once said, nor will you find a post of mine where I said that anyone who questions the Kings/DL/whatever doesn't deserve to relish in this cup run. That is simply a lie and you know it.

What I have said is that I am sick and tired of posters, just like PSP, who come on these boards when the Kings are struggling, post smug and at time condescending remarks towards anyone who would dare think the Kings are on the right path, only to disappear when the Kings are rolling and proving that they were indeed on the right path. It has not gone unnoticed by me, or others judging by the posts in this thread, that PSP and the like tend to disappear when the Kings win, only to reappear with their 'I told you so, you all are idiots for doubting me' mantra when the Kings hit the skids.

It's been far to easy to get away with that crap for years, given how bad the Kings have been. Since the modern version of HFboards appeared, this is the first time the Kings have won a playoff series. Much to easy to stand around and be smug, knocking on the Kings.

I say modern version because I have been a HF poster for about 13 years or so. The current version of the boards debutted in March, 2002, and I was one of the first to join because I was a member of those older boards as well for a few years. So to Holden Caufield, who I hold as one of the most respected posters on this board, sorry, tough ****. I will call out a guy like PSP. I have earned my stripes too. I have been a Kings fan since 1988. I have seen a lot of hard times too and IMO, the era from about 1994 to 2004 was roughly the worst era of the Kings, filled with so much false hope, blown drafts, unforseen failures (Deadmarsh and Allison) and a rebuilding effort that seemingly never stopped, smeared with a few playoff appearances and one series victory. I'm not here posting almost all negative things about the very team I profess to be a 'fan' of. I will post both the good and the bad, and I will stand by both. I just replied to a similar post directed at me from Herby yesterday and I said the same thing there as I am now. If someone wants to call me on something I said, go ahead, I will at least be there to back it up.

No one's upset with PSP's downer attitude, but his inability to be positive and his disappearing act when things are going well is sad and weak and only self-serving. You get what you dish out, and PSP has dished out almost solely negative feedback about the Kings. Why on earth are we wrong for dishing the same back at him?

Sometimes I think people should take a step back and actually remember what the term 'fan' means. "an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc.: a baseball fan; a great fan of Charlie Chaplin."

Do you consider PSP ethusiastic, devoted or an admirer of the Kings? I sure as **** don't.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Fishhead

I don't think its that people who are generally pessimistic aren't supporting the team, it's that they just aren't supporting the team by giving them money. I don't blame them at all for thinking this team wasn't going to do anything because lets face it, they looked like garbage for much of the season. We could have have traded Richardson and Lewis for Zetterberg and Datsyuk and still sucked - that's just Kings history right there. If they can find a way to blow it, they will. This team is obviously one of the best we've had, but I don't care who you are, 30 years of futility will leave you skeptical. I had great seats for game 6 in 1993. I was disappointed at the time, but I figured that I'd have more chances in the near future. We all know how that worked out, the team brought in a bunch of cement heads and was blown up a short time later.

While I believe in what DL is doing, I certainly don't blame people for being skeptical. In the past, we've been lied to by this franchise. We've watched great young players traded away for crap. We've been sold on guys like Nurminen, Vopat, Aulin, Berg, Lehoux, etc. . For the love of god, Luc - OUR Luc - had to go to another team to win a cup. For me, that stung most of all. Until now, this team has never had a good management structure. Our high point in this area was an owner that threw loads of money (probably stolen in some capacity) at everything and ended up in the pen.

Most of the owners of this franchise have NOT been good. Even AEG started out like this. Remember the Deadmarsh/Allison guarantees? We are going to do this and that? We are dedicated to winning the cup, then not spending the money? To their credit, they did something that no owner that I can remember did - and that is stop meddling and let a hockey guy run the show. Now they are reaping those fruits.

While I usually don't agree with negative posters, one guy I have nearly always agreed with is PSP. He knows the pain of this franchise as well as any other fan on here. Even though he gets attacked a lot on the boards for being a pessimist, I've never seen him belittle another poster or question someone's loyalty to the team. I've never seen him say he's more of a fan because he's been around longer, or insinuate that newer fans are lesser than a longtime fan. He used to post all the time on LGK when the Kings were having success around 2000, so to say he only posts when they are losing is a fallacy. HF boards wasn't even around then in a big capacity.

Anyone calling him out is just being silly, really.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Unless somebody can explain to one of us why this ridiculous infighting should stay open, it's not going to be.

Closed Thread