HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Scott Laughton - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2012, 20th overall, Philadelphia)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
  #26
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I thought he would be a camp invite and a guy that could play his way into the bottom six with a great performance. I think he was a victim of Canada's great depth up the middle, and he will definitely be in the mix for a spot next year if isn't with the Flyers.
Yeah I just figured being a 1st round pick and being known as a pretty good defensive forward would have at least got him invite to camp. But like you said Canada probably had better options.

As for next year I highly doubt he's in juniors. The Flyers had a tough time sending him back (I think you could have made a case for him staying).

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
  #27
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Don't get me wrong, he's great. I have been watching him since he was 14 and captained the Bantam Marlboros to a provincial championship. It's possible he could be the next Mike Richards, but I think he tops out at a poor man's version, which is still very impressive.
ya no worries, i thought the post kind of came off as he doesn't have a chance to have that impact at all.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:02 PM
  #28
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Is it crazy to wonder why he wasn't at least invited to Team Canada's WJC camp?
His suspension prior to the subway series (even though he played) didn't help matters.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:10 AM
  #29
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Just thought I would bump this. He has 9 points in 3 games since being returned to Jr.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:43 AM
  #30
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Just thought I would bump this. He has 9 points in 3 games since being returned to Jr.
I still wonder why he did not get a shot to play his nine games before sending him back down.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  #31
SH15
Registered User
 
SH15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
OHL Player of the Week - 3G/6A/9P in 3 games since returning from Philly, all wins for Oshawa

Everything you want in a player. However he is so over the top competitive that he sometimes gets into penalty trouble.

I would take Scott Laughton on any hockey team I have in a heartbeat. Will be a huge part of Team Canada WJC...if he doesn't get suspended for a massive hit.

But is there room up the middle in Philly? Giroux obviously 1. Lecavalier locked in at 2. Couturier currently 3 and Scott is above a 4C. Unless they move someone to the wing I see them trading Couturier once Scott is ready. I wouldn't choose Laughton as the one to trade.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:01 PM
  #32
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 500
Most likely Vinny moves to the wing in two years or so, from what I've read at least.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:35 AM
  #33
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
He is pretty much too good for the ohl. It will be interesting to see if he is kept in Oshawa as they look to now be a top 3 team in the easy or if he goes to one of the big western conference suitors

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:06 PM
  #34
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
OHL Player of the Week - 3G/6A/9P in 3 games since returning from Philly, all wins for Oshawa

Everything you want in a player. However he is so over the top competitive that he sometimes gets into penalty trouble.

I would take Scott Laughton on any hockey team I have in a heartbeat. Will be a huge part of Team Canada WJC...if he doesn't get suspended for a massive hit.

But is there room up the middle in Philly? Giroux obviously 1. Lecavalier locked in at 2. Couturier currently 3 and Scott is above a 4C. Unless they move someone to the wing I see them trading Couturier once Scott is ready. I wouldn't choose Laughton as the one to trade.
LeCavalier's pretty slow these days, and I expect he'll slow down even more within the next couple years. When it gets bad enough, that's when he gets switched to wing. You don't trade Couturier, though. Not unless we're looking at a top-pairing defenseman. Even if his offense never comes around, we'll have one of the best third-line centers in the league under contract for a relatively affordable price (because he won't have the points to bank on during negotiations.)

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:31 PM
  #35
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I still wonder why he did not get a shot to play his nine games before sending him back down.
We may never know, but Lavy didn't want to put him in the lineup vs. Toronto for the opener, understandably he wanted another fighter (Hall) in there so as not to leave Rosehill alone vs. the Leaf goons.

That they sent him back right after that is a bit puzzling. I guess if Lavy hadn't intended to play him on the weekend, he was wasting his time and better off back in the OHL.

Really though, he was just another of the Flyers, which was all of them except Brayden Schenn, Lecavalier, Streit, Couturier and the goalies, who looked like crap in the preseason.

After Lavy's firing, the deep disappointment in training camp was expressed, and Laughton was one of the ones who didn't look as good as he did the previous year.

I think he's going to be a terrific pro for many years, but it won't hurt him to play in the OHL, play in the WJC, probably get traded to London for the MemCup, and get a chance to work on his offense under the close checking that star players must overcome. All good things and I hope he has a great year.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:51 PM
  #36
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
LeCavalier's pretty slow these days, and I expect he'll slow down even more within the next couple years. When it gets bad enough, that's when he gets switched to wing. You don't trade Couturier, though. Not unless we're looking at a top-pairing defenseman. Even if his offense never comes around, we'll have one of the best third-line centers in the league under contract for a relatively affordable price (because he won't have the points to bank on during negotiations.)
Couturier might be centering Lecavalier on the second line in two or three of years.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
  #37
Sticks and Pucks
Registered User
 
Sticks and Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
Has anyone gotten a chance to see who Laughton's linemates are? Are he and Dal Colle playing on the same line? I know they're both listed as centers...

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:03 PM
  #38
ihaveyuidonttouchme
Registered User
 
ihaveyuidonttouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 50
Seen Laughton with Cole Cassels(VAN) most of the time and sometimes with Dal Colle too but not always as he's usually centered by Josh Sterk

ihaveyuidonttouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
  #39
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Now has 12 points in 5 games and was 1st star in 4 of those games!!!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
  #40
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
He's been a monster. It's between him and horvat for best players In the O

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
  #41
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers
 
dannyboy8920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
He is pretty much too good for the ohl. It will be interesting to see if he is kept in Oshawa as they look to now be a top 3 team in the easy or if he goes to one of the big western conference suitors
Gens are a pretty bad team. Regardless of the decent start.

Laughton and Altshuller should be traded to a contender and help out a bit with turning the Gens around in the future. They didn't load up or preform well enough with their 'go for it' team last year. The worst thing they could do is stay mediocre.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 04:37 PM
  #42
PantherStriker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 201
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I think he's going to be a terrific pro for many years, but it won't hurt him to play in the OHL, play in the WJC, probably get traded to London for the MemCup, and get a chance to work on his offense under the close checking that star players must overcome. All good things and I hope he has a great year.
Oh god, yes please.

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 04:41 PM
  #43
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Gens are a pretty bad team. Regardless of the decent start.

Laughton and Altshuller should be traded to a contender and help out a bit with turning the Gens around in the future. They didn't load up or preform well enough with their 'go for it' team last year. The worst thing they could do is stay mediocre.
Who's better in the east other than Kingston who is young? There is 2 mem cup spots this year. You only trade Scott for a complete over payment.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 07:41 PM
  #44
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
scored a nice goal tonight...currently has 14 points in 8 games

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 09:15 PM
  #45
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
scored a nice goal tonight...currently has 14 points in 8 games
Finished with 3.

I was livid at this pick.

I know nothing.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 11:25 PM
  #46
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,611
vCash: 500
Is his offense picking up much?

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 11:28 PM
  #47
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Is his offense picking up much?
He's always had high offense. I didn't watch 94's in minions midget but people I have talked to who are familiar with the age group said Scott has always been the best offensive 94

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 12:06 AM
  #48
MP92
Registered User
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,237
vCash: 500
I wish he was eligible to play in the AHL. That's where he truly belongs right now.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  #49
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Finished with 3.

I was livid at this pick.

I know nothing.
I was screaming at the TV when they picked him over Matta who had slide. I knew nothing about him but he certainly has proven the Flyers right in picking him. But over Matta...not sure...that will be a debate for many years.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 07:37 PM
  #50
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,524
vCash: 500
tearing it up

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.