HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECF: Devils troll the Rangers in Game 5, win 5-3 and take 3-2 series lead

Old
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Pierre is only guy in the media who really gives us any credit. He knows how special this team is and the fiery manner in which they play.
Considering that I don't trust most of these expert analysts to give me the correct time of day... I'm ok with them continuously underestimating this team.

Even in the Panthers series there were the "but Marty?" .. "but the Panthers speed against the Devils weak D?" questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The pre-series narrative for this one is that the Rangers are the team of destiny and King Henrik is invincible. If we close it out and win, I wonder how the narrative will change?
First rumor of an injury and it'll be "if only the Rangers were 100% healthy"
Then they'll say the Devils had an easy time with an offense that couldn't produce
Then something about the refs being out for Torts and a lot of missed opportunities
Then a lot "but if xplayer didn't hit the post and yplayer didn't miss a wide open net"

Then they'll cycle and repeat the previous narratives about the Panthers and Flyers.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I'm not trying to derail this thread but if we make it to the SCF, Parise has no other choice but to resign, right?

He came out saying that winning is the #1 and only priority of his. Is there any better result then playing in the SCF? If what he said was indeed the truth, shouldn't he go the Marty route and take a hometown discount so we can try and sign his buddy as well?
I should be doing this VLOOKUP instead of posting here. Doesn't mean I am. Depends on our cash flow I'd suspect, but I can still see Mr. UFA peacing out. You can probably tell I have a ton of faith in what he's said to the media.

My guess is Salvador, Gionta, and probably a few others are gone since they will get decent contracts from this playoff performance. So there will be openings to fill and cash could vary depending on all of that.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
Anyone notice a huge increase in fanned shots and broken sticks? Seems like a lot of shots are missed due to flex in the stick and a ton are just breaking out there - way more than I am used to seeing.

Crazy stuff this playoffs.
Is it me or they're intentionally targeting Zach's black S19? He seemed really pissed last night in the third, when they broke his 3rd stick, it seemed like. The rangers D are literally trying to break Zach's stick everytime he goes into the corners.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
CerebralGenesis

I agree that Game 6 seems like the best opportunity to close this bad boy out, obviously. My hope for the last 3 games was that we had a game where we put a ton of pucks behind the Queen, and finally a game where its 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd and real tight checking and actually getting the next goal to win it versus games 1 and 3. Still think we'll need one of those to win this series but its 3-2 now so maybe not.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
going to be tough when Detroit throw 8 mil at him, but lets just leave that for another day
Listening to XM92 NHL yesterday and some writer said that the Wings are more interested in Semin than Parise. The wings feel he would fit better. God knows why, but that's what this Detroit writer said.

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Considering that I don't trust most of these expert analysts to give me the correct time of day... I'm ok with them continuously underestimating this team.

Even in the Panthers series there were the "but Marty?" .. "but the Panthers speed against the Devils weak D?" questions.

Then they'll say the Devils had an easy time with an offense that couldn't produce
Then something about the refs being out for Torts and a lot of missed opportunities
Then a lot "but if xplayer didn't hit the post and yplayer didn't miss a wide open net"

Then they'll cycle and repeat the previous narratives about the Panthers and Flyers.
Does it matter? Really??
When your at the parade down Broad St (assuming cory Booker lets us have one)
will it matter one bit what Melrose or anybody else says..NO..unexpected runs like this are even sweeter. I loved the 2003 Cup because it came out of nowhere. We were the best team in 1999, 2000. Not in 2003. Are we now..maybe, maybe not but so far we have been on the ice.

Devils86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
They'll throw Gaborik under the buss, that's for certain.
Deservedly so, he's been terrible in this series.

Quote:
I'm not trying to derail this thread but if we make it to the SCF, Parise has no other choice but to resign, right?

He came out saying that winning is the #1 and only priority of his. Is there any better result then playing in the SCF? If what he said was indeed the truth, shouldn't he go the Marty route and take a hometown discount so we can try and sign his buddy as well?
I really hope he realises what he has here. He definitely loves DeBoer, the system we're running, and this run has him believing he can win here. And as the captain, he knows it's his team if he wants to stay. If Lou shows him the money, he'll stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post

Yep. Seems like we can never get any credit. We dominated the Flyers series, but the post series narratives were all about Bryz ****ting the bed. I even saw some "What if Pronger was healthy?" nonsense.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
JimEIV

Tomorrow is must win.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Tomorrow is must win.
Ya, I have no interest in going back to MSG. And the Rangers are reeling, we can't allow them to get any confidence back. Push them over the edge.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Yep we need to show that killer instinct we've lacked for so long. The team can't afford to fool around. Gotta come out blazing and sustain that for 60 minutes. Hope Pete has the boys ready.

Marv4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
Yep we need to show that killer instinct we've lacked for so long. The team can't afford to fool around. Gotta come out blazing and sustain that for 60 minutes. Hope Pete has the boys ready.
They showed it against the Flyers, IMHO.

I think the Devils are really going to feed off the crowd. It's going to be a hell of a hockey game.

05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
I really do admire the dedication of European Devils fans who stay up. I don't think I could do that.
Well thats pretty much ALL we can do ...
Actually that and joining this great board

It was uglier than necessary - thank God we survived

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

The Rangers are down, now we just need to double-tap them. Can't let this get to game seven, where you can throw the entire series out the window. Anything could happen in that case.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Man, and I thought I was a corpse in the office today. I can't imagine our Eurobros that are probably running on fumes at this point.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Rella17

that 1st goal is even more critical than it was in games 4 and 5

we need the early lead

Rella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Flame Demers*

I just cant take these runs like i used to. they get more stressful with age. holy hell. What a roller coaster game last night. I went from top of the world (my apartment) to suicide alert in 1 hour, and on to the moon when parise scored the EN.

now it starts all over again tomorrow.

Flame Demers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:44 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

I am very, very hungover at work. I feel like I was dragged behind a bus for two hours.

The amount of drinking my friends and I have been doing during the last two games has reached dangerous levels.

A shot for every Devils goal, as well as jack and cokes. The first period last night got things weird in a hurry.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
Anyone notice a huge increase in fanned shots and broken sticks? Seems like a lot of shots are missed due to flex in the stick and a ton are just breaking out there - way more than I am used to seeing.
Other than goalie equipment, you've just touched on my biggest "hockey nerve".

IMO, the "new stick technology" LOSES many more games than they win. The ability to add 2-4mph to your shot (which is statistically negligible) is NOT worth the risks that come from these sticks.

And how many times do you see a team get scored on while having a player without a stick? ALL. THE. TIME. This used to be a very rare occurrence.

And how many times do you see a guy with a glorious scoring opportunity have his stick shattered like a porcelain tea cup? ALL. THE. TIME.

Were I a coach, I'd let my forwards and offensive defensemen use them, but there's NO WAY I'd let a Colin White or an Anton Volchenkov use one of these balsa wood sticks. It's moronic IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post

Maybe I'm in the minority because most of you are doom and gloom, I think the devils will feed off this win, feed off the crowd and win Game 6 handily.
I am more of a realist than an optimist or a pessimist, and my belief is that I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen in Game 6. Very similar to how I felt going in to Games 1 through 5.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

just catching up now…so, RE: callahan’s goal…they explained that even though he made a distinct kicking motion, the puck went off his shin, not his skate, so it was a good goal. was that explanation not sufficient for this group? (not trying to be an ass; serious question)

in any event, I continue to be in disbelief as we are 1 win from the stanley cup final. im looking forward to bumping the ‘lou appreciation thread’ that I Nostradamus-ly created last summer (that was poo-poo’d)

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Last night was amazing.

My prom was kick ass, and the icing on the cake was checking the score after Carter scored and spontaneously cellying with my friends on the dance floor. Even my date went nuts when I told her the score.

Now for my post-prom trip down to Ocean City, MD, which will include a viewing of game six at my friend's beach house...

Let's ****ing get it, boys.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Deservedly so, he's been terrible in this series.
He's been brutal, no doubt about it, but is he the only forward who's missing in action? Their entire cast is off to lunch as far as I'm concerned and Richards looks just as bad IMO.

Quote:
I really hope he realises what he has here. He definitely loves DeBoer, the system we're running, and this run has him believing he can win here. And as the captain, he knows it's his team if he wants to stay. If Lou shows him the money, he'll stay.
I don't know what the money will be like but if he really wants to be part of a contending team, eating alot of cap space on your own isn't the smartest way to help out your organisation. I'm not saying that he should take something like 4M$ per but doing the opposite would be counter productive as well.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:49 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post

RE: callahan’s goal…they explained that even though he made a distinct kicking motion, the puck went off his shin, not his skate, so it was a good goal. was that explanation not sufficient for this group? (not trying to be an ass; serious question)
I'd have to watch it closely again, but NO, that wouldnt be "sufficient" for me.

The rule is that goals with a "distinct kicking motion are disallowed", not goals with a "distinct kicking motion are disallowed, unless you miss and kick the puck with your ankle".

Rule 49.2 "A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net."
It doesnt say anything about Toronto being able to editorialize on whether there's a distinction if you kick the puck with your instep, toe, heel, top of foot, ankle, or lower-tibia.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

This is ****ing ecstasy.

Leeeegggooooooo, boys. Finish 'em.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Man, and I thought I was a corpse in the office today. I can't imagine our Eurobros that are probably running on fumes at this point.
damn dude i slept away at work, i am so damn tired...1 hour of sleep...but **** it, it is so ****ing WORTH it. i love this team!!!!!!!

slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tundra

Anyone have the GIF of A-Train plastering Gaborik?? That was the pre-injury Volchenkov we all know and love,

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote