Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top Finnish defensemen in NHL

Old
05-24-2012, 11:59 AM
prob22

vCash: 500
Top Finnish defensemen in NHL

Give me a hand here, I am doing a SIM league and we are doing an international tournament. I have Finland but am having trouble with defensmen. The problem is that I can only use players that have already been drafted to the NHL. Here is my team so far.

Forwards
Mikko Koivu C
Olli Jokinen C
Mikael Granlund C
Ville Leino C

Jussi Jokinen LW
Tuomo Ruutu C/LW
Lauri Korpikoski LW
Sean Bergenheim LW

Teemu Selanne RW
Valtteri Filppula RW/C
Saku Koivu RW C
Lennart Petrell RW

Defense
Joni Pitkanen
Kimmo Timmonen
Sami Salo
Toni Lydman

Goalies
Pekka Rinne
Tukka Rask

I understand a lot of the forwards I have dont actually play wings on there real teams but im better off playing guys like Filppula on the wing then having to find a scrub who is actually a right wing. Help me round out my defensemen.

prob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Teemu Laakso, Sami Lepistö, Sami Vatanen

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob22 View Post
The problem is that I can only use players that have already been drafted to the NHL. Here is my team so far.
Do you mean drafted players as in players who have been picked in an entry draft or simply have played in the NHL?

If the former, you need to scrub Leino because he was never drafted. Move S.Koivu up the centre and employ Niklas Hagman.

Out of active Finnish d-men, Ossi Väänänen, Janne Niskala and Lasse Kukkonen also have been picked and have some NHL experience.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:43 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
There is no player named Timmonen, I'd sub that guy with Kimmo Timonen

Sami Vatanen is a good bet to be a solid NHL defenseman next season.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Emppu

Joonas Järvinen

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:39 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emppu View Post
Joonas Järvinen
Undrafted and hasn't played an NHL game yet so I guess he is ineligible.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:53 AM
cheerupmurray

Isn't it a bit crazy that there is only four finnish NHL d-men at the moment, Salo, Timonen, Lydman and Pitkänen, and that Pitkänen is the only one under 34?

I know you guys have Vatanen going over to NHL/AHL and a bunch of great d-man prospects in Määtä and Ristolainen, but it still look very thin at defense.

For the World championships theres some really solid finnish KHL-defensemen that can play but will they really be enough at a olympic level?

Looking at forwards Finland have lots of more options and the goalies situations is fantastic.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Make

The defenseman situation is really terrible to say the least. There hasn't been this few Finnish d-men in the NHL for at least 15 years. Salo and Timonen are just a few years from retirement also. Of course KHL has attracted a couple of fringe level players from the NHL who can be useful in WC level tournaments, but it still looks very weak.

In the early 90's we only had Numminen and Lumme playing regular minutes in the NHL, so this isn't really unheard of, but considering how much more popular hockey is nowadays, it's a bit weird to see such a drop off in defensemen quality.

Make is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 11:23 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Isn't it a bit crazy that there is only four finnish NHL d-men at the moment, Salo, Timonen, Lydman and Pitkänen, and that Pitkänen is the only one under 34?

I know you guys have Vatanen going over to NHL/AHL and a bunch of great d-man prospects in Määtä and Ristolainen, but it still look very thin at defense.

For the World championships theres some really solid finnish KHL-defensemen that can play but will they really be enough at a olympic level?

Looking at forwards Finland have lots of more options and the goalies situations is fantastic.
Yep, it's looking really bleak right now, and our defense will suck in Sochi. Luckily the 94- crop of defensemen is very good, there should be around 7 defensemen drafted. if Finland produces even close to that rate in the coming years the situation will change.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote