HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mckeen's First Round Mock Draft on Rotoworld

Old
05-24-2012, 07:54 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
why would the oilers take murray at first when they can trade down and take him?
If they fall in love with them and they feel he is the BPA for them they can afford to take him because of thier lack of high end defensive prospects....

Klefbom and Musil will be good but Murray projects to be a Top pairing defensman.

Trading down is a Big Risk...You cant trade past NYI because they will deff be interested in Murray....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If they fall in love with them and they feel he is the BPA for them they can afford to take him because of thier lack of high end defensive prospects....

Klefbom and Musil will be good but Murray projects to be a Top pairing defensman.

Trading down is a Big Risk...You cant trade past NYI because they will deff be interested in Murray....
I think Columbus will be interested in Murray. I don't think the Oilers can trade down at all if they want Murray. Columbus has been looking for a Dman forever and Murray can step in immediately.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:03 PM
stmikes76

This draft reminds me alot of the '99 draft or the '03 draft. Everyone thought Brendl was #1 with a bullet but he slipped down to #4. Or the three way trade in '03 that saw Nash go to CLB # 1, Lethonen to ATL # 2 and Jay Bo to Cal at #3. Each team addressed a positional need with those moves however not too many people thought Nash should have gone #1 overall.

Murray may not go 1st overall, but it doesn't make sense for EDM to grab another high end forward especially when that is a position of strength and soon they are going to have to worry about resigning all their young studs to long term deals. The Oilers may want to trade down but you have to have a dancing partner for that too and there is alot of pressure on a GM to make the right move (and get full return) if you trade the 1st overall pick. A poor trade can cost you your job!!

Bottom line is Murray can step in next season. He didnt look out of place at the Men's Worlds as he is mature and plays a solid two-way game.

stmikes76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:48 PM
WarriorofTime

Columbus taking Filip Forsberg ahead of Yakupov at #2 would seem like something they would given how bad their drafting has been.

That being said, not a chance in hell Yakupov is on the board at 3.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmikes76 View Post
Murray may not go 1st overall, but it doesn't make sense for EDM to grab another high end forward especially when that is a position of strength and soon they are going to have to worry about resigning all their young studs to long term deals..
What does this even mean?

People keep saying the Oilers won't be able to sign all their highly drafted forwards.

But the cost is going to be different if one of them is a d-man?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:10 PM
RangerBlues

Gus makes it sound like the Habs would be forcing themselves to draft Yakupov at 3. Bergevin would be falling over himself and running to the podium like a fat kid at a buffet.

And there is ZERO chance the Rangers pick Stefan Matteau Jr.

If the Oilers want a D man all they have to do is SPEND SOME MONEY
Taking Murray at 1 is DUMB

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Id have a hard time being an Oiler fan if they passed up on Yak.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

I don't know why..but I have this feeling that is Galchenyk is available at 4…NYI will go for him. Leaving no big 4 forwards for Toronto to draft..and they will probably go with Murray or Rielly or Trouba.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:41 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
What does this even mean?

People keep saying the Oilers won't be able to sign all their highly drafted forwards.

But the cost is going to be different if one of them is a d-man?
Exactly. If Murray turns out to be a stud Dman, he will be as expensive as Hall, RNH, and Eberle when it comes time to resign him. Lowe said that they plan on drafting the player that will be the best in the long run. I am not convinced that Murray is that guy. I love the kid and would love to see him in a Oilers uniform but I don't think he is the best player in the long run.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Falcons93

lolwtf? Oilers are taking Yakupov, no questions asked. Might as well stop reading right there.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I don't know why..but I have this feeling that is Galchenyk is available at 4…NYI will go for him. Leaving no big 4 forwards for Toronto to draft..and they will probably go with Murray or Rielly or Trouba.
Toronto better take Murray if that's the case. I thought many people considered Forsberg, Grigerenko, Galchenyuk, and Murray to be the second tier of players?

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:01 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ugg, Flyers taking Wilson. I'll be sooo pissed. Thats the kind of player the team would take though. Can hit hard but no offensive ability.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:20 AM
WarriorofTime

This writer seems to have some sort of anti-Russian bias or at least a great fear of them playing in the NHL. Teams would be really dumb to pass on Yakupov because he's Russian. Not sure what Nikolai Zherdev.. born in Kiev, Ukraine or Nikita Filatov.. born in Moscow have to do with Nail Yakupov.. born in Nizhnekamsk, Tatarstan (dominated by ethnic Tatars) or Mikhail Grigorenko.. born in Khabarovsk (far east by China) anymore than I relate to Zach Parise.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:11 AM
caley

As much as people are ripping on this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Top 4 shake down this way. Although I suspect whoever takes Yakupov takes him #1 (In other words, if Edmonton takes Murray, they trade down to do it). Here's why the start makes sense to me.

Edmonton: Ryan Murray: Oilers add a defenceman they obviously feel strongly about. Also, the part about Edmonton maybe doing this to save themselves money also does make sense when you factor in that defencemen often (not always) take a little longer to develop so Oilers might be able to sign Murray to a Jack Johnson-like deal, rather than a Doughty one.

Columbus: Filip Forsberg: I hadn't thought about this but it makes a lot of sense. For starters, Columbus has had rough times with Russians not named Fedor (Zherdev was an enigma who required a court case to get him out of the country only for him to threaten to return there when unhappy with contract negotiations; Svitov left to return to Russia when the team had him pencilled in on the roster; Filatov was a constant thorn in their side and Maksim Mayorov just returned to Russia after a couple years in the AHL). But an even better thing to consider is Columbus is highly unlikely to be a playoff team next year with a terrible goaltending situation (barring a big offseason acquisition) and the likely departure of Rick Nash. With Forsberg, as with most Swedes, likely to spend another season in Sweden bulking up, the Blue Jackets could take a pretty good run at the first overall pick and a potential franchise player by not having their 1st in the lineup this season.

Montreal: Yakupov is an easy pick if he's available to them.

NY Islanders: There are more dynamic players in the draft, but I really feel like Reinhart is rocketing up the list with his continued solid playoff and Mem. Cup play and he'd fit a big need for the Islanders: a big defenceman with some grit, an undervalued offensive game who can handle big minutes every night.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:16 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Why would Minnesota pass on a skilled, offensive weapon like Grigs who can score goals?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:28 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Not gonna happen
If EDM wants a Dman they'll trade down and gain assets

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
As I wrote in another thread, Columbus has not been burned by russians, they have been burned by bad drafting and bad development. They have a huge number of Canadian fails, far more than Russians, yet no one suggests they will not take Canadians.

the only time they made a good first round pick was when they took the BPA available when they had the number 1 pick, so why wouldn't they do it again.
You know who Columbus has been cursed by? Slovak defensemen. But no one ever talks about how poorly Radoslav Suchy and Milan Jurcina played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Oh, and BTW Yakapov will not slip past Edmonton. I cannot remember the last time a consensus number 1 was not taken first overall, and by scouts accounts, Murray will not be a star D man. Getting a 2/3 D man instead of the agreed upon number 1 player is not a mistake Edmonton is about to make.
2002 was the last time, when Bouwmeester was the consensus #1 and he ended up at #3 after the Columbus/Florida trade.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Im would not be shocked if EDM went Murray...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
why would the oilers take murray at first when they can trade down and take him?
Edmonton could move no further down than #2 if they want Murray.

I still think that Columbus and Edmonton make a deal that flips picks, with various spare parts and change-of-scenery players on the move in both directions. Both teams get what they want in spades....they get the player they want, they both save face, they move players that they don't want or need, and they acquire players who they may or may not want or need but are at least different than the ones they dump.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

I think Yakupov at #3 makes a lot of sense to me.

EDM want defense badly + Murray is awesome and not Russian, CBJ also don't want a Russian.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:27 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post

EDM want defense badly + Murray is awesome and not Russian, CBJ also don't want a Russian.
Then they should trade down because Yakupov is way more valuable than Murray, they're basically making a 1st pick into a 3rd or 4th by picking Murray...

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:50 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Wouldn't mind Radek Fatsa and Hertel Avenue.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:04 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

Edmonton: Ryan Murray: Oilers add a defenceman they obviously feel strongly about. Also, the part about Edmonton maybe doing this to save themselves money also does make sense when you factor in that defencemen often (not always) take a little longer to develop so Oilers might be able to sign Murray to a Jack Johnson-like deal, rather than a Doughty one.
So why would Edmonton take a player that takes longer to develop when they are already scared about keeping their team together as it is? If they are in a position in a few years where the window will close as they cannot resign, it would make sense to draft as much value as they can for a run a la Chicago.

I still believe its a no brainer to take Yakapov given that they are likely to trade or lose Hemsky. Then can probably get a better return on Hemsky for a goalie or D man that Murray can provide right away as it is.

Quote:

Columbus: Filip Forsberg: I hadn't thought about this but it makes a lot of sense. For starters, Columbus has had rough times with Russians not named Fedor (Zherdev was an enigma who required a court case to get him out of the country only for him to threaten to return there when unhappy with contract negotiations; Svitov left to return to Russia when the team had him pencilled in on the roster; Filatov was a constant thorn in their side and Maksim Mayorov just returned to Russia after a couple years in the AHL). But an even better thing to consider is Columbus is highly unlikely to be a playoff team next year with a terrible goaltending situation (barring a big offseason acquisition) and the likely departure of Rick Nash. With Forsberg, as with most Swedes, likely to spend another season in Sweden bulking up, the Blue Jackets could take a pretty good run at the first overall pick and a potential franchise player by not having their 1st in the lineup this season.
As I've pointed out, CBJ has done a terrible job drafting and developing. Sure they have had a few russians make waves, but only because they were not good enough to play in the NHL (or wanted far more money than they were worth), and the NHL was willing to employ them for far more than an AHL contract. That is not Yakapov. No one is suggesting he will do anything less than step into the NHL next year, and likely compete for rookie of the year. In fact, its pretty easy to say next year Yakapov wil pass Filatov and Svitov for career goals combined.

Quote:

Montreal: Yakupov is an easy pick if he's available to them.

NY Islanders: There are more dynamic players in the draft, but I really feel like Reinhart is rocketing up the list with his continued solid playoff and Mem. Cup play and he'd fit a big need for the Islanders: a big defenceman with some grit, an undervalued offensive game who can handle big minutes every night.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:19 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post

If you look at it objectively, i'd give it a 5% chance of happening, but It does feel like something that could happen. Say Edmonton wants murray, they see him as a close number 2 to yakupov, and instead prefer to take him as Montreal and Columbus don't want to trade and at number four or earlier Murray may well be off the board. Columbus likes forsberg better because they see upside and an incredibly early birthday and decide he's a legitimate long term power wing solution. Yakupov falls into montreals lap, its unlikely but could happen.

Although its doubtful this occurs and yakupov goes either 1 or 2. But to those saying he's the definitive number 1 pick remember this, Mckenzie said in his last little draft that his stock dropped a bit due to a lacklustre playoffs and he's no longer the slam dunk everyone thought he was. AND all it takes for a player to fall is if a group of teams simply have 1 player higher then him on their draft list come draft day.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Ludo

everyone assumes EDM would trade down if they wanted Murray, but nobody has mentioned swapping picks with MTL. MTL has a lot of good assets that could interest the oilers (2 x 2nd rnders, roster players, young prospects). Murray should still be available at the #3 spot and MTL would get a game-changing forward.

That said, there was an interesting comment made by Serge Boisvert (MTL's scount in the Q) saying that Timmins already knows who he will pick. Barring an unforeseen chain of events, that means that he expects the player will be available at #3. My personal thought is that he will draft Galchenyuk and expects he will be available regardless of what happens ahead of him. Big, skilled, character center MTL has been craving.

...but who knows.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:46 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
2002 was the last time, when Bouwmeester was the consensus #1 and he ended up at #3 after the Columbus/Florida trade.
True, although Nash has ranked second and a close second at that.

Murray is not exactly what I would call the second ranked ranked player or perhaps even D man.. Button has him at the 7th ranked D man (I don't agree BTW), CSS has him 1, hockey writers 2, Future considerations 1, ISS 1. And I do not believe anyone has him as the second ranked overall player.

Nash over Bouwmeester was not a stretch. Murray over Yakapov is.

For the record I'd take Murray as the first D man in this draft, but he has been underwhelming enough when I have seen him that I would not use a top 4 pick on him.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote