HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mckeen's First Round Mock Draft on Rotoworld

Old
05-29-2012, 01:59 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
No, it makes perfect sense. Edmonton wants Murray, but they figure they can dupe someone into paying through the nose to move up. Then they get to add more pieces, and actually mean it when they say "we got the guy we wanted all along". Obviously, they can't move down very far; Murray probably would fall no lower than 4th under any circumstances.

I still think that we'll see a Columbus/Edmonton flip that involves no real players or prospects of consequence going from one side to another. No Johansen, no Savard, no Jenner...it'll be "change of scenery" types and nothing else.
The gap between 1st and 2nd is too big to not have a deal that doesn't involve real players. Even though Tambellini is as dumb as a rock, I believe he knows that. (At least I hope he does)

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:21 PM
SDig14

Quote:
No, it makes perfect sense. Edmonton wants Murray, but they figure they can dupe someone into paying through the nose to move up. Then they get to add more pieces, and actually mean it when they say "we got the guy we wanted all along". Obviously, they can't move down very far; Murray probably would fall no lower than 4th under any circumstances.

I still think that we'll see a Columbus/Edmonton flip that involves no real players or prospects of consequence going from one side to another. No Johansen, no Savard, no Jenner...it'll be "change of scenery" types and nothing else.
Who in their right mind would trade down to 2 for nothing of significance? Or not even a decent prospect?

We would be far better off just taking Murray at #1 and marketing him as a 1st overall pick to the average fan.

Point is moot since we will draft Yakupov, but I think the option you suggest is basically non-existent.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Jahodac

Wow, that is pretty terrible. At least the guy gave reasons why Yakupov is at third.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
The gap between 1st and 2nd is too big to not have a deal that doesn't involve real players. Even though Tambellini is as dumb as a rock, I believe he knows that. (At least I hope he does)
I think there's a reason why the Oilers' braintrust had Murray and Methot on Team Canada's WC team. But I'll get into the motive in a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Who in their right mind would trade down to 2 for nothing of significance? Or not even a decent prospect?

We would be far better off just taking Murray at #1 and marketing him as a 1st overall pick to the average fan.

Point is moot since we will draft Yakupov, but I think the option you suggest is basically non-existent.
The average fan sees Yakupov as yet another scoring forward with high-end potential in the NHL; he was touted as the probable top pick coming into this year. So was Murray, but...unless it's a defenseman with a superlative offensive skill set, it's not going to create excitement.

If Edmonton covets Murray, they have two options. The first is to take him at #1, and run the risk of a minor revolt among the fan base for passing on someone with such an obvious offensive skill set. The other is to fall back to #2 (since he won't get past Columbus) and pick up something, anything, in the process.

Everything adds up that Edmonton has Murray pegged as the guy...the WC spot, and the declarations from within the team that he's worthy of the #1 overall pick. Columbus knows this. Columbus knows that they need a high-end scoring forward and that Edmonton needs a high-end defenseman. A minor move to flip picks makes sense for both, even if the value is not there.

Edmonton can't simply say, "Screw you guys, Montreal offered a much better package, so we'll drop back to #3." If that happens, Columbus says, "Oh, you wanted Murray? Too bad. Either pay through the nose to move up one spot and get your guy, or enjoy the fact that you overplayed your hand and now you miss out on the guy you wanted. Your choice." Now, if someone offers a huge amount to move up, that's one thing...I don't see it happening.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Everything adds up that Edmonton has Murray pegged as the guy...the WC spot, and the declarations from within the team that he's worthy of the #1 overall pick. Columbus knows this. Columbus knows that they need a high-end scoring forward and that Edmonton needs a high-end defenseman. A minor move to flip picks makes sense for both, even if the value is not there.
Some people choose to ignore the piles of indications that Yakupov is the Oilers' guy. Since the teams needs defense now (unsure how Murray will impact that), some assume that the Oilers are locking in on a d-man, regardless of the many signs to the contrary.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Some people choose to ignore the piles of indications that Yakupov is the Oilers' guy. Since the teams needs defense now (unsure how Murray will impact that), some assume that the Oilers are locking in on a d-man, regardless of the many signs to the contrary.
And this may end up being the case as well.

Since no one with the teams are asking our opinions, we'll do nothing except sit and wait and see what happens.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
While I tend to agree that the Oilers end up taking Nail, they didn't put Murray on the WC team just for fun either, they obviously wanted a closer look at him and he is under consideration.

With a better management crew they wouldn't be picking 1st overall 3 years in a row but here it is and it puts the pick under a larger microscope than usual because of the current makeup of the Oiler team and the difficulty in getting top free agents to sign to play in Edmonton as well.

The reality of the situation is that while Edmonton has 3 or 4 guys that can be top 4 guys they are all more 3-4 guys than legit 1-2 guys and the need for a stud like Murray might be too tempting.

Signing a steady defensive guy like Jackman or Stuart would go a long way in helping the Oiler prospects on the back end no matter who they take 1st overall.

Wideman would not make a good fit IMO as he is defensively too weak.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:01 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Habs get Yakupov? Literally zero chance that happens.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote