HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sekera was the Sabres BEST defensemen

Old
05-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Sekera was the Sabres BEST defensemen

Go ahead and rank these 6 defensemen based on their total performance this past season... if you come out with a ranking that doesn't have Sekera as #1, then you're doing it wrong.

EVEN STRENGTH

Quality of Competition
1. Regehr +0.065
2. Sekera +0.038
3. Weber +0.002
4. Ehrhoff -0.004
5. Myers -0.013
6. Leopold -0.023

Goals Against per 60 on ice
1. Myers 1.97
2. Regehr 2.01
3. Sekera 2.19
4. Leopold 2.40
5. Ehrhoff 2.70
6. Weber 2.81

What did we learn?
- Regehr and Sekera faced toughest competition and both performed very well in that role defensively
- Weber needs to be protected from tougher competition
- Myers was able to dominate defensively against weaker competition
- Leopold and Ehrhoff are not very good defensively, are given freedom to take more chances

Quality of Teammate
1. Ehrhoff +0.081
2. Weber +0.053
3. Regehr -0.008
4. Myers -0.013
5. Sekera -0.053
6. Leopold -0.056

Goals for per 60 on ice
1. Ehrhoff 2.85
2. Leopold 2.62
3. Sekera 2.51
4. Myers 2.47
5. Regehr 1.50
6. Weber 1.37

What did we learn?
- Ehrhoff gets a lot of ice with the scoring forwards
- Sekera does not get such ice time, and yet still produces offensively at a similar rate to Myers and Leopold
- Regehr and Weber are terrible offensively.

+/- On ice per 60
1. Myers +0.51
2. Sekera +0.32
3. Leopold +0.22
4. Ehrhoff +0.15
5. Regehr -0.52
6. Weber -1.44

What did we learn?
- Myers is #1, but has weaker competition and better linemates
- Sekera is #2, while having stronger competition and weaker linemates
- Leopold and Ehrhoff overcome their weaknesses defensively, with their strengths offensively. The need to continue to avoid strong matchups
- Weber is bad
- Regehr's play is acceptable, even though the end result is a negative. We know he faces the best competition and has no abilities outside his own zone.

+/- Off ice per 60
1. Sekera -0.03
2. Leopold -0.02
3. Myers +0.03
4. Weber +0.28
5. Ehrhoff +0.35
6. Regehr +0.40

Corsi ON ice (difference in SAF v SAA)
1. Sekera +1.93
2. Ehrhoff +0.86
3. Leopold -3.71
4. Weber -4.10
5. Myers -7.17
6. Regehr -10.88

Corsi OFF ice
1. Sekera -5.35
2. Ehrhoff -3.02
3. Weber -1.02
4. Leopold -0.63
5. Myers -0.03
6. Regehr +3.03

What did we learn?
- Even though Sekera faces some of the top matchups, he still has the best differential between his On ice/Off ice numbers. The Sabres are at their absolute best when Sekera is on the ice....Why? Because he keeps the opponent out of our zone, and we possess the puck MORE when he is on the ice then any other defensemen. We limit shot attempts the most when he is on the ice. We create the most shot attemtps for ourselves when he is on the ice. And he does all of that with some of the weaker linemates on the team...

the last time I checked, you can't get scored on when you have the puck (all due respect to Mike Ryan and Geoff Sanderson)

Off Zone Starts
1. Ehrhoff
2. Leopold
3. Myers
4. Sekera
5. Weber
6. Regehr

Off Zone Finish
1. Sekera
2. Ehrhoff
3. Leopold
4. Myers
5. Regehr
6. Weber

Sekera doesn't get the benefit of top offensive zone starts, yet finishes there the most... one of the most important stats you don't notice IMO

interesting stats:
1. Sekera, while being a distant 4th in pts per 60... he does happen to be 2nd in secondary assists per 60... anyone want to venture a guess why?
2. Only defensemen with more penalties drawn, then penalties taken

POWER PLAY

Goals For per 60 of PP
1. Ehrhoff 7.23
2. Sekera 5.93
3. Myers 5.50
4. Leopold 4.52

Shots For per 60 of PP
1. Ehrhoff 49.0
2. Sekera 45.4
3. Leopold 44.4
4. Myers 39.4

Shots Blocked by opponent per 60 ON
1. Sekera 17.8
2. Leopold 26.0
3. Ehrhoff 26.3
4. Myers 28.9

SHORT HANDED

Shots Against per 60 Short
1. Sekera
2. Ehrhoff
3. Regehr
4. Leopold
5. Weber
6. Myers

Shots Blocked per 60 Short
1. Regehr 26.5
2. Sekera 25.4
3. Myers 22.9
4. Leopold 21.9
5. Weber 20.6
6. Ehrhoff 16.7

Goals Against per 60 Short
1. Ehrhoff 4.17
2. Weber 4.26
3. Myers 6.55
4. Leopold 7.40
5. Sekera 7.56
6. Regehr 8.73

--------------------------

My overall ranking of these 6 defensemen based on the entirety of their performance taken into account with their role is as follows.

1. Sekera (By a mile)

2-5 the other others

6. Weber (the way lindy uses his pairs, there is no where to hide him)

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:04 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes sir. Facts and stats don't lie. Where is Freddie Bisco or whatever his name is now. ^^

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778

Might be the most thought out post I've seen in a while. Nice work, Jame.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:20 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

I learned defensemen named Mike (Ryan and Weber) suck and we should avoid them.

Hell of a thread Jame.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:23 PM
OpethianSabre20

Excellent post!

IMO, this thread should be stickied until October.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Vito_81

Nothing against Rej, I like him a lot. But perhaps all of these numbers showcasing Sekera as being our best dman all season is a big indication of why the Sabres didnt make the playoffs.

If he's our best again next season, we'll probably be on the outside looking in once again. Myers needs a big year. Ehrhoff needs to be more consistant. If that happens, Reggie won't be our "best" and IMO we'll be in a lot better shape. This team can't be a cup contender with Sekera being the far and away best dman. Unless he's the 2012-2013 Karlsson to go along with an improved Myers and Ehrhoff.

Vito_81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Funny thing is ... You'll still see posters with blinders on saying things like "I watch the games, I know what I see, and Sekera isn't good".

Nice research Jame. You should do (when time permits) one for the best forward(s).

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:33 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Great post Jame. Maybe you've come over to the Dark Side?

Not to go too much OT, but the stats you cite also show Weber is indeed superfluous, especially now that Sulzer is signed, Brennan, McNab, et al., are waiting in the wings, and, as you point out, Lindy can't / doesn't hide Weber by yin-ning him with someone else's yang.

Alas, Weber won't garner much in return, and defensive depth is never a bad thing.

Will be curious to see what happens to him - stay or moved...?

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:35 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

Not to go too much OT, but the stats you cite also show Weber is indeed superfluous, especially now that Sulzer is signed, Brennan, McNab, et al., are waiting in the wings, and, as you point out, Lindy can't / doesn't hide Weber by yin-ning him with someone else's yang.

Alas, Weber won't garner much in return, and defensive depth is never a bad thing.

Probably as a sweetener for a higher draft pick/better player.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:36 PM
dkollidas

Wow. Very very detailed. Just goes to show where Sekera is at. Hopefully Myers will make a similar jump in the next year or two.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Nothing against Rej, I like him a lot. But perhaps all of these numbers showcasing Sekera as being our best dman all season is a big indication of why the Sabres didnt make the playoffs.

If he's our best again next season, we'll probably be on the outside looking in once again. Myers needs a big year. Ehrhoff needs to be more consistant. If that happens, Reggie won't be our "best" and IMO we'll be in a lot better shape. This team can't be a cup contender with Sekera being the far and away best dman. Unless he's the 2012-2013 Karlsson to go along with an improved Myers and Ehrhoff.
that makes no sense...
seriously think about what you just said, within the context of the stats i provided.

What you said was...."Maybe the Sabres missed the playoffs because when Sekera was on the ice against the other teams top lines, the Sabres scored more then they were scored against"

??????

Old
05-24-2012, 10:38 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

It's awesome that our two best defensive defensemen were fourth and eighth in ESTOI respectively. Way to go, Lindy!

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Husko

Weber probably gets flipped in a change of scenery type deal for another under preforming youngster.

Husko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

agreed on Weber

I'd like to see Sekera-Myers made a permanent pair, they should get loads of minutes.
Sulzer-Ehrhoff is a no brainer... but they need to be protected with Offensive zone starts, etc
that leaves Leopold-Regehr which has had success before.... McNabb could push Leopold, and be the #7... I don't see a spot for Brennan. Your not going to give him defensive zone starts with Regehr, your not going to put him with Myers and ramp his minutes up early... and Sulzer-Ehrhoff just has toooo much chemistry to break up

Old
05-24-2012, 10:45 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that makes no sense...
seriously think about what you just said, within the context of the stats i provided.

What you said was...."Maybe the Sabres missed the playoffs because when Sekera was on the ice against the other teams top lines, the Sabres scored more then they were scored against"

??????
I think he's saying Sekera is a vital component in any top 4, but that the guys getting paid to produce like Ehrohoff and Myers need to elevate their play or else we risk missing the playoffs again.

What pains me is we seem to have an amazing mix of defenseman -- especially if McNabb can crack the top 6 next year. If they can gel as a unit the Sabres can do major damage in the playoffs. I really believe that.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
The best part about Rej is that he can get even better. He was one of my favorite prospects that we've ever drafted (along with MacArthur...) and the leaps he's made in his defensive game since Slovakia and Owen Sound are incredible. I don't think his offensive game will ever resemble what he was in the CHL but he hasn't scratched that surface and I think he will.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that makes no sense...

??????
You're right, that doesn't make sense. But that isn't what I meant by that statement at all. You're taking it way too literally.

Those stats show Sekera was our best defenseman last season.

Im saying that Sekera being our best dman might have been a reason as to why we didn't make the playoffs. The guys getting more ice aren't doing their jobs as well ,which costs the team big. I'm not saying anything negative against Sekera, other than the fact that you don't win the cup with Andrej Sekera as your best defenseman.

Myers and Ehrhoff need to better than Sekera if the team is going anywhere. That is my point.

Vito_81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:55 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
The best part about Rej is that he can get even better. He was one of my favorite prospects that we've ever drafted (along with MacArthur...) and the leaps he's made in his defensive game since Slovakia and Owen Sound are incredible. I don't think his offensive game will ever resemble what he was in the CHL but he hasn't scratched that surface and I think he will.
I thought MAG getting all that ice time early on in the season cut into Sekera's offensive game, which took off the year before. Thankfully that nonsense is over.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:09 PM
McTank

Sekera, Myers and ehrhoff were all pretty close in my opinion and than regher and leopold were good in the second tier and than for most of the year the 6th D was terrible until we traded the turnover machine for sulzer and all of a sudden all our D were good

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
You're right, that doesn't make sense. But that isn't what I meant by that statement at all. You're taking it way too literally.

Those stats show Sekera was our best defenseman last season.

Im saying that Sekera being our best dman might have been a reason as to why we didn't make the playoffs. The guys getting more ice aren't doing their jobs as well ,which costs the team big. I'm not saying anything negative against Sekera, other than the fact that you don't win the cup with Andrej Sekera as your best defenseman.

Myers and Ehrhoff need to better than Sekera if the team is going anywhere. That is my point.
yea... still doesnt make sense to me...

we need the guy matching up against the other teams top lines, to win that matchup... and Sekera won the matchup

we missed the playoffs because our goaltender is an injury prone, mental midget. we missed the playoffs because our forwards are charmin soft. we missed the playoffs because nearly everyone on our blueline missed significant time.

Sekera being used in a shutdown defensemen role, and being wildly successful is not WHY we missed the playoffs.

its just a weird concept to me... we need Myers to be as good defensively as Sekera to be a cup contender? Sekera, being as good as Sekera... not good enough

of the top 50 defensemen in QOC, Sekera was 21st in combined GA/GF per 60 ES

I dont understand why we need someone else to provide those kind of top pairing defensemen results.

If anything, Sekera's ability to provide those results, makes Myers/Ehrhoff MORE successful.

Last edited by Jame: 05-24-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old
05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
I learned defensemen named Mike (Ryan and Weber) suck and we should avoid them.

Hell of a thread Jame.
Ryan is a forward,

But the Mikes Card and Funk sucked...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I feel bad for whoever keeps track of those stats. How depressing!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:11 AM
gallagt01

I agree that Sekera was our best defenseman last season (the Hoff was a distant second).

Regier is in a strange spot with 'Rej this offseason. In the cap era, you need to have players signed to cap-friendly deals to survive as a team. Buffalo doesn't have many cap-friendly contracts.

Do you keep Sekera - whose on a bargain of a contract - and let him continue to do his thing, or do you move him to another team that may value him highly in hopes of landing a big-name forward?

With the glut of young defensive prospects in the system, I wonder if Regier goes with the latter. Sekera's trade value is certainly high.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:52 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I agree that Sekera was our best defenseman last season (the Hoff was a distant second).

Regier is in a strange spot with 'Rej this offseason. In the cap era, you need to have players signed to cap-friendly deals to survive as a team. Buffalo doesn't have many cap-friendly contracts.

Do you keep Sekera - whose on a bargain of a contract - and let him continue to do his thing, or do you move him to another team that may value him highly in hopes of landing a big-name forward?

With the glut of young defensive prospects in the system, I wonder if Regier goes with the latter. Sekera's trade value is certainly high.
The sabres have plenty of cap friwndly contracts: Roy, Sekera, Ehrhoff amoung them....

Otherwise......good post Jame....now excuse me I feel dirty just typing that....gotta go scrub myself clean....

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:28 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Briere > Drury

Biron > Noronen >>>>> Miller

Or, arguments we like to have in long offseasons.

Jame, can you change your name to Fan-of-44? For consistency's sake.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote