HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we have a top prospect pool?

Old
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
SirRocko

vCash: 500

Hockey's Future had us ranked #8 in their last rankings. Does adding another 5 Top-60 picks get us into the top 5? Top 3 even? Where do we end up?

Can't wait for our next prospect rankings as well. Our top-10 is going to be really tough to sort out!

Between Grigs, Girgs, Armia, Cat, Hurley, Compher and Bailey up front and McCabe, McNabb, Pysyk, Risto, and Zadarov in the back, we have a ridiculously deep group on young talent.

SirRocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Sabre the Win
McDavid or Eichel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
Hockey's Future had us ranked #8 in their last rankings. Does adding another 5 Top-60 picks get us into the top 5? Top 3 even? Where do we end up?

Can't wait for our next prospect rankings as well. Our top-10 is going to be really tough to sort out!

Between Grigs, Girgs, Armia, Cat, Hurley, Compher and Bailey up front and McCabe, McNabb, Pysyk, Risto, and Zadarov in the back, we have a ridiculously deep group on young talent.
and now with the supporting cast we have, I hope next year we tank for the first overall pick and we get the next Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Depends on what's considered "top." The Sabres still lack really high end prospects, so teams with those will more than likely still be ranked ahead of us. The Sabres prospect pool is now extremely deep though, so it's probably one of the best in the league in that regard.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Depends on what's considered "top." The Sabres still lack really high end prospects, so teams with those will more than likely still be ranked ahead of us. The Sabres prospect pool is now extremely deep though, so it's probably one of the best in the league in that regard.
I don't think that's true... with Risto and Zadarov...

Ottawa was ranked #2 by HF with Mika, Silfverberge, Lehner, Conacher, and Noesen as their top 5

Buffalo was #8 before... withL
Quote:
Top 5 Prospects: 1. Mikhail Grigorenko, C; 2. Brayden McNabb, D; 3. Jake McCabe, D; 4. Joel Armia, RW; 5. Mark Pysyk, D.
Add Ristolainen, Zadarov, Larsson, and Compher ... I think they definitely move up into the top 5 AT LEAST... top 3 is very reasonable

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
BananaSquad

Id say top 5

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I don't think that's true... with Risto and Zadarov...

Ottawa was ranked #2 by HF with Mika, Silfverberge, Lehner, Conacher, and Noesen as their top 5

Buffalo was #8 before... withL

Add Ristolainen, Zadarov, Larsson, and Compher ... I think they definitely move up into the top 5 AT LEAST... top 3 is very reasonable
They'll be top 5, or at least they should be. Again, it all depends on how much importance they put on the "elite" prospects. Will teams like Colorado be above us simply because they have a MacKinnon? Emonton/Florida will probably still be in the top 3, but Buffalo will more than likely be in there as well now.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
and now with the supporting cast we have, I hope next year we tank for the first overall pick and we get the next Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin.
Does anyone know about the top of the 2014 draft outside of Ekblad? Is there such a guy in that 'elite' category? To my current mind, Reinhart and Nylander are highly touted, but I haven't heard the 'elite' label. 2015 comes more to mind, because I'm hearing less of the 'elite' label and more of the 'generational' label about McDavid.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYaeger89 View Post
Does anyone know about the top of the 2014 draft outside of Ekblad? Is there such a guy in that 'elite' category? To my current mind, Reinhart and Nylander are highly touted, but I haven't heard the 'elite' label. 2015 comes more to mind, because I'm hearing less of the 'elite' label and more of the 'generational' label about McDavid.
It's too early to say because it's really hard to project whether kids so young look "elite" or just "very good" as NHL prospects. Guys like Ekblad and especially McDavid are different because they're phenoms and stand out as elite prospects. The rest need to show how they can improve their raw games to catch up with their specific elite talents (e.g. skating, hands, whatever).

Chain is high on William Nylander Altelius, known as William Nylander. He's the son of former NHLer Michael Nylander who actually still plays in Sweden in the Allsvenskan league on the same team William got some games with this year. He seems like a sure top 10 talent but as far as elite or franchise guy it's hard to say. He also has a brother Alexander who will be a '16 eligible I believe. William was born in Canada and played his hockey in America up until a couple years ago, now playing in Sweden. It's funny sine we so often see that in reverse with Euros coming over to play a year or two in the CHL leading up to their draft. He's an interesting prospect for sure.

Reinhart certainly has a good chance of emerging as an elite prospect and the best of the brothers.

Regarding the rest of the class, here's one solid overview: http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next...p-10-rankings/

For more, read the 2014 draft thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1458881

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 07-01-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM

he got good prospects, but Tampa and Florida got elite ones so they stay ahead of us. We should have passed Edmonton/Minnesota/St. Louis no doubt in my mind. Taking Fucale would have been huge for the rankings, our flaw is always that we don't have a high end goaltender in our system.

Their is one team that is 100% better than us, the Florida Panthers. The rest is debatable.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:24 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Grigorenko
Armia
Ristolainin
Girgensons
Pysyk
Zadorov
Larsson
McCabe
McNabb
Compher
Hackett
Tropp
Catenacci
Hurley
Bailey
Kea
Baptiste

That's a hell of a lot of depth right there.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM

It's time for another prospect rankings. Mikhail Grigorenko still leads my list but their are 3 guys neck and neck with Girgensons and Ristolainen.

1. Mikhail Grigorenko
2. Rasmus Ristolainen
3. Zemgus Girgensons
4. Joel Armia
5. Nikita Zadarov
6. Mark Pysyk
7. Johan Larsson
8. Brayden McNabb
9. Jake McCabe
11. Matt Hackett
12. Corey Tropp
13. JT Compher
14. Daniel Catenacci
15. Connor Hurley
16. Nick Baptiste
17. Justin Bailey
18. Brian Flynn
19. Justin Kea

By my could we have 19 guys who have shots at NHL careers, crap on Darcy all you guys want to but this is one of the most impressive starts to a rebuild that I have ever seen. I cannot believe some people are so blind to see this, we have 4 top 60 picks again next year aswell. We have so much depth in our base now that you have so much flexibility, you could move up in the draft, trade for players ect..

Last edited by 1972: 07-01-2013 at 02:34 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
They'll be top 5, or at least they should be. Again, it all depends on how much importance they put on the "elite" prospects. Will teams like Colorado be above us simply because they have a MacKinnon? Edmonton/Florida will probably still be in the top 3, but Buffalo will more than likely be in there as well now.
Not sure about that. Assuming Yakupov/Schultz are "graduated", they could drop just enough for the Sabres to pass them.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:40 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I personally don't care.

I just want to see the size and compete level of the past few drafts pan out down the road.

I couldn't care less about rankings, draft grades, and the like.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I personally don't care.

I just want to see the size and compete level of the past few drafts pan out down the road.

I couldn't care less about rankings, draft grades, and the like.
This.

Rankings mean squat. Show me wins and losses as a result of these players coming up and performing, or not.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
OkimLom

I'd say our top 10 guys are the most balanced AND talented in the NHL. If you're going by overall strength of our Prospect pool, probably top 5. If can nab at least two "HIGH END" talents in the next two drafts then I can say we will have the deepest pool.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 02:58 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
It's time for another prospect rankings. Mikhail Grigorenko still leads my list but their are 3 guys neck and neck with Girgensons and Ristolainen.

1. Mikhail Grigorenko
2. Rasmus Ristolainen
3. Zemgus Girgensons
4. Joel Armia
5. Nikita Zadarov
6. Mark Pysyk
7. Johan Larsson
8. Brayden McNabb
9. Jake McCabe
11. Matt Hackett
12. Corey Tropp
13. JT Compher
14. Daniel Catenacci
15. Connor Hurley
16. Nick Baptiste
17. Justin Bailey
18. Brian Flynn
19. Justin Kea

By my could we have 19 guys who have shots at NHL careers, crap on Darcy all you guys want to but this is one of the most impressive starts to a rebuild that I have ever seen. I cannot believe some people are so blind to see this, we have 4 top 60 picks again next year aswell. We have so much depth in our base now that you have so much flexibility, you could move up in the draft, trade for players ect..
Yeah, we really have an incredibly deep pool of young players right now, especially when you add in guys already on the Sabres roster (Myers, Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno). All we need are those few high-end guys. We maybe have some on D, depending on what develops there, and Grigorenko and Armia could maybe be top offensive players. We don't have a slam dunk elite level talent though. Hopefully we suck next year or the year after; I feel like McDavid would look pretty sweet in blue and gold. Then we'll be all set.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
For what it matters, I don't see how they could be less than top 5 in the HF rankings now. Then again, whoever rates the Sabres players gives Grigorenko a 7.5 potential with a C-grade likelihood of reaching it. A C or even D is fair, but how he doesn't get at least get an 8 potential is baffling. I don't want to get started, but let's just say Baker needs to haul his ass back here.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Is there a way to look at the history of HF's team prospect rankings? Just curious if there's any correlation between their rankings and team success. (IE. how many cups have top-10 teams won)

I would imagine Buffalo moves up a few spots, their farm system generally has a few top guys but usually lacks depth. Now, I'd say Pysyk, Ristolainen, Zadorov, McCabe, McNabb and Ruhwedel could match any other team's defensive prosepcts. Even Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, and Compher is pretty damn deep at center.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

1. Mikhail Grigorenko
2. Rasmus Ristolainen
3. Zemgus Girgensons
4. Joel Armia
5. Nikita Zadarov
6. Mark Pysyk
7. Johan Larsson
8. Brayden McNabb
9. Jake McCabe
11. Matt Hackett
12. Corey Tropp
13. JT Compher
14. Daniel Catenacci
15. Connor Hurley
16. Nick Baptiste
17. Justin Bailey
18. Brian Flynn
19. Justin Kea

You're missing #10.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88

answer no, there really is little TOP END talent here.

Do we have a #1 defensemen among the group? Do we have a true #1 centermen? Do we have a dominate sniper in the group?

Not sure you can answer yes to any of these. Armia may be the closest to a yes here. We'll see.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:38 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
This.

Rankings mean squat. Show me wins and losses as a result of these players coming up and performing, or not.
Okay. Well, thank you for pooping on the premise of the thread, and I trust you won't be back.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

1. Mikhail Grigorenko
2. Rasmus Ristolainen
3. Zemgus Girgensons
4. Joel Armia
5. Nikita Zadarov
6. Mark Pysyk
7. Johan Larsson
8. Brayden McNabb
9. Jake McCabe
11. Matt Hackett
12. Corey Tropp
13. JT Compher
14. Daniel Catenacci
15. Connor Hurley
16. Nick Baptiste
17. Justin Bailey
18. Brian Flynn
19. Justin Kea

agreed...
good list... here's mine

1. Rasmus Ristolainen
2. Mikhail Grigorenko
3. Joel Armia
---
4. Nikita Zadarov
5. Zemgus Girgensons
6. Mark Pysyk
----
7. Johan Larsson
8. Brayden McNabb
9. Jake McCabe
11. JT Compher
12. Matt Hackett
----
13. Daniel Catenacci
14. Justin Kea
15. Connor Hurley
16. Justin Bailey
17. Chad Ruhwedel
18. Brian Flynn
19. Corey Tropp
20. Nick Baptiste

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
BloFan4Life

Can McCabe play for Rochester nest year. If so, get his butt there. The kid is legit.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:10 PM
ttcminaker

Last year Buffalo added three players in the top 2 rounds: Grigs, Girgs, McCabe
This year they added five players in the top 2 rounds: Risto, Zadorov, Compher, Hurley, Bailey

Next year they have a 1st and 3 seconds at the moment but if Miller, Vanek or Stafford are moved then that number goes up I would think.

So over a 3 year period, there is at least 12 top 2 round players coming to the organization. Pretty impressive way to start a rebuild.

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Gosabres08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Can McCabe play for Rochester nest year. If so, get his butt there. The kid is legit.
He's not leaving Wisconsin this year. They are poised for a national title run and he's not going to leave after the run they made at the end of last season. Honestly, I'd be a little surprised is he left before his senior season either.

Gosabres08 is offline   Reply With Quote