HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Predators Booster Club?

Old
07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
ThePredatorial

vCash: 500
Nashville Predators Booster Club?

So, let's ask a frank question here to everyone...how come Nashville doesn't have a booster club?

Now, before everyone writes this off as a joke, every other team in the Central Division (19 teams overall) have booster clubs:

Chicago - http://www.blackhawksstandbys.com/
Columbus - http://www.jacketbackers.org/
Detroit - http://www.redwingforemclub.org/
St. Louis - http://www.blueliners.org/

I know there is some cost involved into setting this up, because first and foremost the Booster Club HAS to be a 501(c)(3) and the cost for the application is $850 (which isn't necessarily an easy number for most of us to come up with). With the added cost of the initiation fee for the NHL Booster Club Organization (http://www.nhlboosterclub.org/index.html) and the yearly dues, it's a total of $915 to start up a Booster Club.

While there is only 11 teams in the NHL that don't have a Booster Club...there is only 1 in the entire Central Division that doesn't: Nashville.

That being said...any interest in starting one up?

ThePredatorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:34 AM
ChesterCopperpot1

What exactly does a booster club for an NhL team do? I know what they digit high school football and band and stuff like that.

While we do not have a booster club, we do have te infamous cell block 303. beat that central division!!

I've actually never seen a game from anywhere other than 303

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:59 AM
PredsMan

We used to have one. I was one of the founders. We started it in the fall of 1997.

There may be a small contingent left.

Had a couple people get involved that messed it up, and ruined it for everyone.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
What exactly does a booster club for an NhL team do? I know what they digit high school football and band and stuff like that.
It's similar to that, kinda. I know the Jacket Backers in Columbus do a lot of stuff for the Blue Jackets Foundation, raising money for them, however they are also the ones that planned the huge two-bus road trip that came down to Nashville in November of last year (when Columbus actually beat Nashville IN Nashville).

I've found that a lot of the booster clubs do organized activities throughout the season and off-season for their members, so it's like a big hockey family that isn't biased about anything apparently.

Quote:
While we do not have a booster club, we do have te infamous cell block 303. beat that central division!!
Hahaha, I can't argue that. 303 does a lot of great things and they are arguably the loudest section in the entire NHL. I had people asking me about how 303 works this past weekend in Columbus at the Central Division Tweet-up and how people catch on to the chants. BUT, that's a conversation for a different day, lol

Old
07-30-2012, 08:38 AM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
We used to have one. I was one of the founders. We started it in the fall of 1997.

There may be a small contingent left.

Had a couple people get involved that messed it up, and ruined it for everyone.
Well what happened? If people got involved and messed it up, how come they weren't voted out of the leadership team of the Booster Club?

So, what was the name of Nashville's booster club? Does it still have 501(c)(3) status?

Old
07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
codeman00

Quote:
I have the same question.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

with the way our fans whine about our nearly-cheapest-in-the-nhl ticket prices, i can't see anyone ponying up the money, nowadays.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:01 AM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman00 View Post
I have the same question.
STL/CHI/DET/CBJ all do a road trip once a year, have regular monthly meetings once a month (kind of like how Mason's [and other organizations] do), and they plan other fun events for members as well.

I guess you could say...it's a social club for the hockey team? The organizations tend to do a lot of charity fundraisers as well.

SO....I guess you can say they are a lot like Masons/Shriners/etc? Except it's about hockey, it's not exclusive to men, and there aren't any crazy secrets.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePredatorial View Post
Well what happened? If people got involved and messed it up, how come they weren't voted out of the leadership team of the Booster Club?

So, what was the name of Nashville's booster club? Does it still have 501(c)(3) status?
The name was "Predators Pride Booster Club"

We did fundraisers for Hockey fights cancer, road trips, away game viewing parties, we staffed alot of the predators events like wine tasting, unmasked ball, Breakout.

If I remember correctly we didn't go the 501(c)(3) because of the legal hoops and cost to becoming a non-profit. We were very organized with a complete set of bylaws and organizational structure, and we participated in the NHLBCA.

It's a long story that isn't worth telling as to how it all fell apart. But, essentially the wrong people took control of the group after term limits ran out for the founding group. We had it set up well for it to be run easily...but alas, some people had their own agenda.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
with the way our fans whine about our nearly-cheapest-in-the-nhl ticket prices, i can't see anyone ponying up the money, nowadays.
True, but if every other team in the Central Division can have one (and others whine about things more than we do), how come Nashville doesn't?

CBJ's group costs only $10 to join it for the year. I'd pay $10 to join Nashville's booster club if we had one

Old
07-30-2012, 09:05 AM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
The name was "Predators Pride Booster Club"

We did fundraisers for Hockey fights cancer, road trips, away game viewing parties, we staffed alot of the predators events like wine tasting, unmasked ball, Breakout.

If I remember correctly we didn't go the 501(c)(3) because of the legal hoops and cost to becoming a non-profit. We were very organized with a complete set of bylaws and organizational structure, and we participated in the NHLBCA.

It's a long story that isn't worth telling as to how it all fell apart. But, essentially the wrong people took control of the group after term limits ran out for the founding group. We had it set up well for it to be run easily...but alas, some people had their own agenda.
That's awesome! I hate to hear that a couple bad apples ruined it. Is there any interest in starting it back up? I think it could catch back on if it started back up. lol, that's just my opinion though

Old
07-30-2012, 09:15 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePredatorial View Post
That's awesome! I hate to hear that a couple bad apples ruined it. Is there any interest in starting it back up? I think it could catch back on if it started back up. lol, that's just my opinion though
Yes, our original intention was to be a social group with some community service mixed in. The later folks just wanted to suck up to the preds and be their free labor force. So the social part went out the window, and membership/participation tanked. Personal crap started happening between members. It just snowballed. Nobody had the cajones to boot the problem people because everyone felt sorry for them.

Old
07-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Skraut

Quote:
I was stopping by to talk about the Central Division Tweet Up, but hope you don't mind me answering this from the perspective of a Jackets Backer.

I live in Cleveland so I don't attend many of the events but I get the emails all the time, and wish I could attend many of their events. The Jacket Backers are the "official" Booster club of the team, and with that comes some cool opportunities straight from the team. In addition to doing game watching parties for some of the away games, the Jacket Backers are often invited to special events at the arena.

In the past the team has organized events where they open the doors early to the Jacket Backers and given a behind the scenes tour of the arena before the game. Special post game skates on the ice just for Jacket Backers, as well as breakfasts with representatives of the team.

The biggest benefit to me personally is when the team had extra tickets become available for one of the playoff games, they made them available to Jacket Backers first, and that let me get a pair.

The Jacket Backers organize a couple of road trips every year, and have even in the past gone as a unit to watch the AHL team play and support the prospects.

Quote:
Columbus also has a supporters group, the Arch City Army. They've only been around a little over a season, and yes we're jealous of the 303, but the ACA is getting there. They focus on being loud and passionate, and where the Jacket Backers organize family outings to the Zoo with some of the players, the Arch City Army organizes video game tournaments.

Different strokes for different folks, just more ways of saying you're a fan of your team.

Some prefer beer and mixed drinks, some like wine. There's a reason I'm a member of both groups

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:32 AM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
just more ways of saying you're a fan of your team.
Bingo. Everything Skraut said is exactly what Nashville could do with a Booster Club.

Now, I wouldn't want to do all the planning/etc that goes on with organizing this, but I'd love to join it. I guess it's just a matter of finding someone who has the time to start the club back up and get the ball rolling

Old
07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
Hahaha, I can't argue that. 303 does a lot of great things and they are arguably the loudest section in the entire NHL. I had people asking me about how 303 works this past weekend in Columbus at the Central Division Tweet-up and how people catch on to the chants. BUT, that's a conversation for a different day, lol
Surprising to hear this as Cell Block 303 has been restng on its laurels for several years now: They're barely noticeable now, nothing like it used to be.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Quote:
Originally Posted by One and Done View Post
Surprising to hear this as Cell Block 303 has been restng on its laurels for several years now: They're barely noticeable now, nothing like it used to be.
There's reasons for that.. mostly leadership. Mark's out of town a lot more, Jeremy's in media row, and I'm in the last row of the section.

Back to topic on hand though, Kris, I love the idea... never really ran with it due to the Nashville Predators Foundation being active..

But yeah, run with it.

Last edited by codeyh: 07-30-2012 at 06:24 PM.
codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
There's reasons for that.. mostly leadership. Mark's out of town a lot more, Jeremy's in media row, and I'm in the last row of the section.

Back to topic on hand though, Kris, I love the idea... never really ran with it due to the Nashville Predators Foundation being active..

But yeah, run with it.
I'd totally love to run with it, but I don't feel like I'd be the best person to organize it (currently) because of the lack of time I could lend to get the ball rolling.

Plus, someone would have to sponsor it or something to get the 501(c)(3) paperwork filled out

Either way, I think it's something that we should all think about as fans of the team

Old
07-30-2012, 09:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I have to ask why the hell would the fan base do something that other fan bases have done?

We NEVER do anything like the other guys do.

There are the #summersucksdropthepuck events. But there is a lot Internet fracturing so a general group would be useful

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
ThePredatorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I have to ask why the hell would the fan base do something that other fan bases have done?...But there is a lot Internet fracturing so a general group would be useful
I think you answered your own question there. A general group would be best for everyone in my opinion. Of course there will always be some type of fracturing because everyone can't get along with everyone, only in a perfect world.

Plus, Chicago and Detroit have both had their groups for over 60 years...there must be something good about it

Old
07-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I have to ask why the hell would the fan base do something that other fan bases have done?

We NEVER do anything like the other guys do.
Joinnnnnnn ussssssss...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:09 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Well Paul usually has a hockeybuzz roadie every year so there is already that. But a supporter's group or booster club would be pretty neat too.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:29 AM
lstcyr

Odd that this topic came up. I was looking through a box the other day and found post-it notes with Predators Pride Booster Club on it. Had a P.O. box, telephone number and web site (not working - just checked). I'm pretty sure I was a member.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:48 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
PattyPred was the booster club secretary at one point. If she sees this and cares to comment it will probably answer a lot of questions.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:00 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Joinnnnnnn ussssssss...
No, I like winning

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
PattyPred was the booster club secretary at one point. If she sees this and cares to comment it will probably answer a lot of questions.
Well, now that I've been mentioned, I guess I have to respond. Yes, I was the booster club secretary for a long time.

As another poster said, a faction came into the club and definitely had their own agenda. At that time is when I quit being part of the club because I definitely did not like the direction the club was going.

I know that we use to have a large fundraiser for Hockey Fights Cancer (HFC) each year that was very successful. I know that one year the booster club donated over $2,000 to HFC.

We use to have monthly meetings, watch parties and were a volunteer resource for the Predators.

Gerry Helper hated the idea of a booster club because of his previous experience with another franchise and he wished it would go away. (At least this is what I had been told.) Once Alexis left the Predators, the Predators utilization of the booster club became non-existent.

If anyone is interested in getting a booster club up and running, I wish you all the very best of luck.

If you want more information, please just PM me.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote