HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dull playoff hockey

Old
05-25-2012, 01:19 AM
sawchuk1971

vCash: 500
Dull playoff hockey

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19796536.html

Quote:
But, to me, the NHL game has largely become a yawn. Itís suffocating. The intensity is there, no doubt, but the offence is all about dumping and chasing, cycling and crashing. Because the players are so big and fast, thereís no room for wide open plays. When's the last time you saw a Gilbert Perreault or Bobby Orr type rush? Todayís players canít take two strides without three guys smothering them to death. And, yes, I may be living in the past, but I miss all that stuff.

If a hockey guy like me finds the game boring ó and I donít believe Iím the only one ó how are you supposed to sell the game in markets where there is no deep-rooted loyalty to the sport? Sure, ratings may be up, but until the product on the ice becomes more appealing ó more rushes, more room, more goals ó hockey will never be fully embraced outside of Canada and a few European markets.

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The finale to the Kings/Coyotes series certainly wasn't boring. Neither was the previous Rangers/Devils game where the Rangers stormed back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game in the 3rd, only to give up the game winning goal with about 5 minutes to go in the game.

Certain games have been boring, but I wouldn't say these playoffs entirely have been dull to watch. It's just that this year there were a lot of solid goaltending performances (save for in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh). And this may seem biased, but the Kings are the most exciting team left in the playoffs and they aren't playing a boring brand of hockey.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:49 AM
nhlfan9191

The series between Pheonix/LA looks extremely boring on paper but wow was it ever exciting.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:54 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Widening rinks would kill two bird with one stone.

1.) More room = more goals/sexier goals

2.) Less contact against the boards means increased player safety

I'm not saying go to international sizes, but widening by a total of 10-15 feet would make a bigger difference than you'd think.

3000 posts!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:01 AM
puckyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Widening rinks would kill two bird with one stone.

1.) More room = more goals/sexier goals

2.) Less contact against the boards means increased player safety

I'm not saying go to international sizes, but widening by a total of 10-15 feet would make a bigger difference than you'd think.

3000 posts!

Congrats on 3k! (i think 3k is the magic number for inclusion into the posting HOF!)

I agree, widen the rinks!

puckyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:09 AM
spizzle420

Has the size of an NHL playing surface/rink always been the same?

When did it change?

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Greater Malison
He Knows. You Don't.

Send a message via AIM to Greater Malison
Is there an international standardized rink thats more than 100 feet across?

Greater Malison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:13 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Seriously? I've enjoyed these playoffs immensely. I'm more entertained than I was in 07. And that's saying something.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spizzle420 View Post
Has the size of an NHL playing surface/rink always been the same?

When did it change?
some of the old rinks used to be smaller. The old Chicago Stadium had the smallest ice pad in the league

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:04 AM
DiehardKingsFan

we need more all out brawls like this one

DiehardKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:04 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Seriously? I've enjoyed these playoffs immensely. I'm more entertained than I was in 07. And that's saying something.
I was just thinking about '07 last night. By far my favorite playoffs post-lockout.

I miss that Buffalo team, so fun to watch

This year's playoffs have been pretty average; not a lot of close series. Still loving it, though.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:20 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
I totally agree with this person, but it's not like this is the first year it's been bad.

These players are too big and too fast to play on this size ice surface anymore. Why do you think there's so many concussions these days even with these guys wearing all this "body armor" that they didn't have in years past?

The NHL is willing to change the rules of the game to accommodate an outdated rink but they won't change the real problem because it would cost owners money. It's the most frustrating thing about the sport right now, and the sad thing is that I don't think it's going to change soon.

It WILL change eventually, I'm sure of it, but the game is going to suffer in the meantime.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:25 AM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

It's never going to be more entertaining until the Leafs get into the playoffs. only then will every fan in the league pay attention to us, helplessly.

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:08 AM
saffronleaf

I've enjoyed these playoffs quite a bit.

PIT vs PHI was amazing; what a rivalry! No words needed for this.

WSH vs BOS was nail-biting. The closest series ever in playoff history. Every single game decided by one goal. Joel Ward continues his magical playoff GWG touch.

WSH vs NYR was absolutely crazy. It kept going back and forth. How the hell did WSH respond to losing in triple OT? How the hell did they recover from Game 5 collapse? Ovechkin storylines were very interesting. Reduced ice-time, but he was a team player and he was clutch.

NJ vs FLA was surprisingly entertaining considering that it was the one series that everyone was ignoring in the first round.

LA's run has been absolutely incredible. I loved watching LA destroy VAN. Thank you, LA! Their whole run has been incredible.

PHX's Cinderella run was awesome! They may have just played themselves into remaining in Arizona. What heart. And what a turnout (attendance and ratings) in PHX. And seeing the LA-PHX rivalry dive into the hockey world was great. And all the controversy of Game 5 was intense!

The only series I actually ignored completely was SJ vs STL. Which is odd, because I like both of those teams. But for some reason, I never got around to watch it and I feel like I didn't miss much by not watching it.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Send a message via AIM to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via MSN to Emerald City Bruin Send a message via Yahoo to Emerald City Bruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

200'x85' + 15' = 200'x100', otherwise known as an international rink.

Emerald City Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

This year's playoffs are way better than last year's as a whole.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:58 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

If he's reaching all the way back into the Bobby Orr clips, then I don't think there's hope for this guy.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:02 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
It's never going to be more entertaining until the Leafs get into the playoffs. only then will every fan in the league pay attention to us, helplessly.
Oh boy. Not Reimer. Please not him.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Oshie97

I have been following all the games and most have been exciting. I just hope the league doesn't do something drastic and turn it into the NBA on ice.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Bigger ice won't help without the players' mindsets changing. Seeing the WHC this year, that was wonderful hockey... it was hockey as a game, being played, not worked. Nowadays in the NHL hockey is less and less a game, because there is little creativity or passing to create scoring chances, it just goes dump-in-board battle-shot on goal-hope for rebound. This goal is prototypical for the current development:

Exaggerating of course, but a huge share of the goals now are rebounds/scrambles/screened shots, just ugly. I want to see an NHL where creativity and skill is rewarded, but that's tough to implement.

Last edited by Schalkenullvier*: 05-25-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: damn yt link
Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:10 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Bigger ice won't help without the players' mindsets changing. Seeing the WHC this year, that was wonderful hockey... it was hockey as a game, being played, not worked. Nowadays in the NHL hockey is less and less a game, because there is little creativity or passing to create scoring chances, it just goes dump-in-board battle-shot on goal-hope for rebound. This goal is prototypical for the current development:

Exaggerating of course, but a huge share of the goals now are rebounds/scrambles/screened shots, just ugly. I want to see an NHL where creativity and skill is rewarded, but that's tough to implement.
You can always start streaming KHL games or SEL games.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:27 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

If the league wanted to maintain a high-flying offensive style, they had a chance to do it. When the clutching and grabbing ramped up in the playoffs, particularly against a team like the 2008-2010 Capitals, the refs could have responded by calling a ton of penalties. They didn't, and the Caps style basically imploded as a result. Non-calls in the Habs series in 2010 basically forced the Caps to abandon their up-tempo style. By the 2010-2011 season, the blue print to defend the Caps was out, teams weren't getting hit with penalties for their obstruction, and the post-lockout era of offense was on the way out.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
You can always start streaming KHL games or SEL games.
That's not the point.

These playoffs, more often than not, HAVE been commented on as "dull" and "boring" by a huge number of proper hockey people and fans.

There are teams there that excel at D and have amazing goalies, yet limited offense... Combined with the style of play and the officiating, it really is (to me) boring.

NYR/WAS for example... It was damn tight. But it was dead boring.
Low number of scoring chances, everything's slowed down, dump it in and (unsuccessfully) grind for 20 seconds, etc.
Boring.

Now, don't get me wrong or get offended...
It doesn't take anything away from NYR or LA, they're there because they're quality teams who beat the best of the rest...
But they're both BORING.

Ironically, the Devils are the most offensive team remaining in the playoffs.

And I really don't think I'm being biased either...
I'm a Buffalo fan and couldn't care less for the rest, but these are the first playoffs where I'm turning off my screen in the middle of games or plain out avoiding them.... Because they're boring.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:47 AM
LSnow

I really really really dont want to watch 30 rangers teams in couple of years.. Rather shoot myself. Its fine if some teams play that way but if it comes the standard

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:51 AM
crashman

vCash: 1376
Some people seem to be taking this personally or as a slight against their favorite team. It has little to nothing to do with the teams in the playoffs, they're just doing whatever it takes to win games. The game is becoming unbearable to watch anymore because of how it is officiated and how it's played.

It has become a war of attrition and shot blocking, nothing more.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote