HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dull playoff hockey

Old
05-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That's not the point.

These playoffs, more often than not, HAVE been commented on as "dull" and "boring" by a huge number of proper hockey people and fans.

There are teams there that excel at D and have amazing goalies, yet limited offense... Combined with the style of play and the officiating, it really is (to me) boring.

NYR/WAS for example... It was damn tight. But it was dead boring.
Low number of scoring chances, everything's slowed down, dump it in and (unsuccessfully) grind for 20 seconds, etc.
Boring.

Now, don't get me wrong or get offended...
It doesn't take anything away from NYR or LA, they're there because they're quality teams who beat the best of the rest...
But they're both BORING.

Ironically, the Devils are the most offensive team remaining in the playoffs.

And I really don't think I'm being biased either...
I'm a Buffalo fan and couldn't care less for the rest, but these are the first playoffs where I'm turning off my screen in the middle of games or plain out avoiding them.... Because they're boring.
I'm divided on this. My personal opinion is like yours - I haven't enjoyed the second and third rounds as much as the fantastic first round. But unlike a lot of people, I don't think this means there's some fundamental problem with the game. I don't think we should worry about permanent fixes to temporary problems. What we're seeing is a spike in great goaltending and defense -- just like a year ago we saw a spike in violent hits and dirty teams. Two years ago we saw incredible power and skill rule the league. What's changed? Nothing really. 2012's defensive, shot-blocking style might be less exciting, but it doesn't represent a permanent system for the NHL. It'll change, like it changes every year, when the level of goaltending isn't as red-hot as this year. We're watching a rare display of amazing goaltending backed up by some amazing defensemen. It's a level of defensive talent by all remaining teams that doesn't happen often.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post

Now, don't get me wrong or get offended...
It doesn't take anything away from NYR or LA, they're there because they're quality teams who beat the best of the rest...
But they're both BORING.

Ironically, the Devils are the most offensive team remaining in the playoffs.

The Kings are the highest scoring team left in the playoffs and they played 3 of the top 5 defensive teams in the NHL. I'm guessing you haven't watched the Kings play because they use the most aggressive forecheck left in the playoffs, very similar to the Devils. Just because the Kings don't give up as many goals as the Devils do doesn't make the Kings 'boring".

Maybe it is because the Kings are 12-2 that people think they are "boring" because their series have been blowouts. The Kings are scoring 1.36 more goals per game than they are giving up in the playoffs. No other team is close to that this year.

I guess it is "boring" to watch teams dominate their opponents, but don't act like the Kings are just sitting back like NY does and block a ton of shots. I understand that if you are not a fan of the Kings you would like to see more "drama" and a closer series, but that doesn't make the team boring to watch.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1163269

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:05 AM
AmishRenegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings are the highest scoring team left in the playoffs and they played 3 of the top 5 defensive teams in the NHL. I'm guessing you haven't watched the Kings play because they use the most aggressive forecheck left in the playoffs, very similar to the Devils. Just because the Kings don't give up as many goals as the Devils do doesn't make the Kings 'boring".

Maybe it is because the Kings are 12-2 that people think they are "boring" because their series have been blowouts. The Kings are scoring 1.36 more goals per game than they are giving up in the playoffs. No other team is close to that this year.

I guess it is "boring" to watch teams dominate their opponents, but don't act like the Kings are just sitting back like NY does and block a ton of shots. I understand that if you are not a fan of the Kings you would like to see more "drama" and a closer series, but that doesn't make the team boring to watch.

They are having an outstanding playoffs, but it's hard to call a team that finished 29th out of 30 teams as being an offensively exciting hockey team.

AmishRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

No Canadian team = playoffs suck. (Exception: COL be in the playoffs )

Seriously, Canada is the hockey Juggernaut. Without the Canadian fans, hockey simply sucks. Went to the states for the long weekend; no one seemed to care about the playoffs.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:13 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post

Seriously, Canada is the hockey Juggernaut. Without the Canadian fans, hockey simply sucks. Went to the states for the long weekend; no one seemed to care about the playoffs.
Ice better teams?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:16 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Ice better teams?
Lolz no, the towns are just buzzing when there's a canadian team in the playoffs. I know last year, with the nucks, People were crowding bars and all. Don't get the same feeling when I was over there this weekend.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishRenegade View Post
They are having an outstanding playoffs, but it's hard to call a team that finished 29th out of 30 teams as being an offensively exciting hockey team.
I thought we were talking about the playoffs? How does not scoring before the trade deadline count for how they are playing since the deadline?

Old
05-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
The series between Pheonix/LA looks extremely boring on paper but wow was it ever exciting.
You must have very low standards (or a very short memory) if that series made you go "wow".

It was a lopsided matchup that ended in 5 games and involved only 1 exciting game in the entire series (game 5).

That said, we already have a boring playoffs thread and we don't need another one.

Ignoramus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:38 AM
AmishRenegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I thought we were talking about the playoffs? How does not scoring before the trade deadline count for how they are playing since the deadline?
Just using an 82 game sample size vs 14 games.

AmishRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Just using an 82 game sample size vs 14 games.
It's a 35 game sample size now with Carter on the team. I sure hope NJ or NY think they are playing the October Kings too.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:21 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Aren't we talking about the playoffs? Off topic but Since the deadline the kings have been top 3 offensive team

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:29 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Big changes were made after Sutter came on board and at the trade deadline. You may want to read up on them and educate yourself.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:32 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Lolz no, the towns are just buzzing when there's a canadian team in the playoffs. I know last year, with the nucks, People were crowding bars and all. Don't get the same feeling when I was over there this weekend.
Wow, that's incredible the city of Vancouver wasn't buzzing about watching the Kings and Phoenix in the Western Conference Finals. Who cares?

I guess you couldn't make it down to LA where 4,000 fans showed up at the airport to greet the Kings after their Game 5 victory in Phoenix. Absolutely no buzz going on in LA though, right?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Jerzey Devil

Never heard of that website or the guy who wrote the article.

Jerzey Devil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
um

these playoffs are fun for me because i liked all the teams that got to the second round, other than new york. but the play has been boring sometimes but its just good defensive teams being successful, if fleury didn't choke and pittsburgh advanced, or the canucks, or the senaters no one would be saying this

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:27 AM
um

Quote:

thats funny because i live in toronto and leafs fans cheer against ottawa, montreal, and vancouver. the only fans who care about canadian teams more are casual hockey fans

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:34 AM
BlueAzN

You guys, you guys. This is playoff HOCKEY. Boring and HOCKEY should never ever be attached to each other.

BlueAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAzN View Post
You guys, you guys. This is playoff HOCKEY. Boring and HOCKEY should never ever be attached to each other.
Why...? What if the hockey is much more dull than it ever has been?

If I get to choose between 60 minutes of shot blocking, neutral zone play, dump-ins, and a combined 6 real scoring chances between the two teams... or 60 minutes of a reasonable quantity of scoring chances (as opposed to endless shots from the outside) and little to no obstruction, I'll take the latter.

As I typed this, I just realized your post was sarcastic stupid me. All the same, it's something that needs to be said in this thread anyway.

No, for the silly extremists with their dumb, elementary arguments out there, I'm not saying a 10-9 game is inherently better than a 2-1 game. I'm saying that a game with some scoring chances is better than a game with almost none, in which a lucky bounce or event essentially decide the game because both teams manage so pathetically little offensively.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

I like how some people want to change everything to suit what they "feel" something should be like for everyone else. It's a very tyrannical world view, in the sense that everything should conform to them, there can be no differing view. That no one else could possibly see value in something that they do not.

Coaching changes, style changes, play changes, players change, but OMFG!!!! The game has changed???!!!!!! Who knew! Quick, let's all modify the rules, goal sizes, rink sizes, etc so it can be what it was before, denying any change what so ever!

To me, that's boring.

I'm one of the fans that appreciates a chess match, a defensive strategy, low scoring where every play is nail biting. I like the physical play. To me, it's exciting. It's not like every fan (or potential fan) likes one style of hockey where the game has 50 scoring chances and the final score is 6 to 5. I probably enjoy an incredible save more than an incredible goal (purely from a fan perspective, obviously I want my team to score and my team's goalie to make the saves). I think it's amazing when a team can keep a team to outside shots, and keep a consistent defensive pressure. I mean, that's hard work! When the calibre of players on the ice now that can take a turn over and put it in the net quickly, to be able to deny that all game is an incredible feat.

What I think people fail to realize is that, even though some people may be turned off to the style of play right now, others will be turned on to the game because of it. Not only this, but future players and coaches will adapt, find flaws, and overcome current systems. I seriously doubt EVERY team is going to adopt one style of play, it didn't happen with the left wing lock, nor the neutral zone trap. Players and coaches will continue to evolve the game and the game will change because of it.

So, while I feel for the people who feel bored with the current game. I think they're living in the past. Perhaps if they watched the game today for what it is rather than what they think it "should be." Maybe, just maybe, they might like it. Just remember, if everything is as it always was, nothing else will ever be.

I for one am enjoying the game and I also find it refreshing it wasn't the same old teams reaching the semis and conference finals.

Sorry for the rant. All the boring complaints finally got to me. I guess if the game truly is boring for you now, then it sucks for you. I for one am enjoying it.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

The issue, Nefarious, is that not every play is nail-biting (as you describe) when there are so few legitimate scoring opportunities and the vast majority of shots are from 40+ feet away from the net.
The third-party fan simply doesn't find extensive dump-ins and neutral zone play exciting.

You're a Kings fan, so naturally you're loving it - as you should be. Watching your team go far in the NHL playoffs... I don't think there are many more exciting things in the world.
But for the fan with no card in the race, with no specific team to root for, it's a bit easier to sit back and recognize whether or not the current game lends itself toward entertainment. I can't help but notice that compared to past years (we'll go with since the lockout), the hockey is simply less entertaining. In my opinion, of course - but it appears that many, many people agree with me there. The few that don't are those whose teams are still left in the playoffs, which is understandable.
I always need to add a little disclaimer for the silly eight-year olds that will try and make their tired, childish point yet again - no, I do not take this view because I am sour over my team (Blackhawks) being out early this year. They've only made it past round 1 twice since the lockout. I have genuinely enjoyed every playoffs since and including 2005-06 even despite that.
Except for this year.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
TOML

Ratings reflect fan apathy.

Despite a larger NY market, the NY-NJ series still trails the Boston-Tampa series of last season.

Quote:
For the fourth time in five games on NBCSN, the Devils/Rangers series suffered a decline from last year.

Game 5 of the Devils/Rangers NHL Eastern Conference final drew 1.428 million viewers on NBC Sports Network Wednesday night, down 6% from Lightning/Bruins Game 5 on a Monday night last year (1.516M), and down 11% from Canadiens/Flyers Game 5 in 2010 (1.595M).

Wednesday’s game ranks as the most-viewed of the series on cable (Game 3 aired on the NBC broadcast network). All four games on NBCSN have suffered declines from last year.
This has got to be a disappointment, considering the potential for a large market NY-LA final. One has to consider game style as a reason for the nationwide ratings drop.

However, locally in NY, the ratings are the best ever. Obviously local fans aren't going to care as much about game style.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Sorry but not every game can be a high scoring thriller like the Pittsburgh-Philadelphia series and low scoring games such as the ones in the NYR/WSH series and a few games in the BOS/WSH series.

These playoffs have been great.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
I've found I'm watching less games that don't involve my team. Even with my team I was daydreaming half the time ... This sucks.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:40 PM
TOML

The good news is that the vast LA market is starting to come out of the woodwork. Nationwide ratings for their closer over Phoenix were 40% higher than the Vancouver/SJ closer.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote