HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dull playoff hockey

Old
05-25-2012, 12:41 PM
bouds

vCash: 500
I've enjoyed the playoffs so far, did so last year as well, but I'm a long time proponent of widening the playing surface.

bouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
The issue, Nefarious, is that not every play is nail-biting (as you describe) when there are so few legitimate scoring opportunities and the vast majority of shots are from 40+ feet away from the net.
The third-party fan simply doesn't find extensive dump-ins and neutral zone play exciting.

You're a Kings fan, so naturally you're loving it - as you should be. Watching your team go far in the NHL playoffs... I don't think there are many more exciting things in the world.
But for the fan with no card in the race, with no specific team to root for, it's a bit easier to sit back and recognize whether or not the current game lends itself toward entertainment. I can't help but notice that compared to past years (we'll go with since the lockout), the hockey is simply less entertaining. In my opinion, of course - but it appears that many, many people agree with me there. The few that don't are those whose teams are still left in the playoffs, which is understandable.
I always need to add a little disclaimer for the silly eight-year olds that will try and make their tired, childish point yet again - no, I do not take this view because I am sour over my team (Blackhawks) being out early this year. They've only made it past round 1 twice since the lockout. I have genuinely enjoyed every playoffs since and including 2005-06 even despite that.
Except for this year.
I can appreciate your point of view, abosultely. And I know it'll be hard to believe, given my team is in the finals, but I really do like the current style of play. Perhaps that seems crazy to some, but I do. I enjoyed some of the other series that people thought were boring, and absolutely really thought the Philly - Pitts series was dull. And I like Philly. We all look for different things.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:42 PM
ShaggyRogers
Mystery in Tampa

These playoffs have been the most exciting playoffs in years. Let's not forget how great that first round was.

ShaggyRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:46 PM
nocturn

"Boring Playoffs" = Your team isnt in them.

This has been the least boring playoffs in 19 years!

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:19 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

The Rangers tend to get kinda boring sometime with the amount of times they block shots.

I'm just glad the Kings aren't playing the way they didn't in the regular season of they would put most viewers to sleep. The hockey they are playing now is very exciting.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Big Phil

I posted in another board that this playoff lacks the big star power. Claude Giroux was bounced out of the postseason in the second round and he still leads the playoffs in points. There is no Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg, etc. lighting things up. The best teams - on paper at least - were bounced out of the first round and the ones who continued often refused to play the kind of style that could have helped them. Honestly, I don't care what people say about Washington, there is no way you put a leash on that kind of talent the way Hunter did. They shouldn't have played a game "not to lose" but rather up tempo and gunning for a win.

There have been some good moments these playoffs. Philly/Pitts was an intense battle. There maybe could have been less sloppy goaltending because there was a time when a light shot on net went in on either goalie and while I love wide open hockey I also want to see a save here and there. The 2009 series between the Caps and Pens qualifies as "1987 Canada Cup style" hockey. Up tempo, good offense, end to end action, but still some quality goaltending when needed.

But no doubt the lack of star power has hurt these playoffs. The lack of a good storyline or even the lack of any forward having a ridiculous playoff. Honestly, if you picked the Conn Smythe candidates right now you would pick Quick, Brodeur and Lundqvist. The only forward even worth mentioning would be Brown. The only defenseman even close to the mix is Doughty.

Lastly, with all due respect to Shane Doan, Phoenix making it as far as they did hurt's the game. Yeah its nice for the NHL to try and fantasize that the only team they own can have success but there was nothing fun about watching Phoenix and Nashville duke it out other than hoping to get a shot of Carrie Underwood in the stands.

These playoffs have lacked the Pitt/Wsh, Pitt/Det, Anaheim/Det, Chi/Van type of series that captivates people. Of course I still watch, but it probably won't go down as a classic postseason.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

These playoffs have lacked the Pitt/Wsh, Pitt/Det, Anaheim/Det, Chi/Van type of series that captivates people. Of course I still watch, but it probably won't go down as a classic postseason.
Not for nothing, but this is all kinds of wrong.
I mean, you are aware that the Rangers and Devils are playing in the ECF?

I guess you do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
There is no Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg, etc. lighting things up.

But no doubt the lack of star power has hurt these playoffs. The lack of a good storyline or even the lack of any forward having a ridiculous playoff. Honestly, if you picked the Conn Smythe candidates right now you would pick Quick, Brodeur and Lundqvist. The only forward even worth mentioning would be Brown. The only defenseman even close to the mix is Doughty.
ya, no

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:12 PM
4straight

this devil/rangers series has been pretty awesome if you ask me. games 1 and 3 were pretty much the same (0-0 into third..later into 3rd rangers get gwg, then momentum goal, then empty netter)

Also, 1 legendary goalie going against and extremely elite goalie.

I'm an islander fan, and im really rooting for the devils, but after watching this series...i have alot of respect for ryan callahan for alot of things, but particularly the willingness to give up the body, the guy dives in front of anything.

4straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:42 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Of course there is some truth to that, and I would certainly be more entertained if I was emotionally invested in one of the remaining teams, but that doesn't change the fact that the game has become boring and broken to a certain degree.
Both my teams were eliminated by the first round and I still think this has been a great playoffs. Not sure what you mean by boring and broken. It's been very entertaining.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:52 PM
MerrimackBruin*

I wish the phl / pit series was ecf... that would be a blast. Now all I can hope for is a bruin/van style random hatred scf. I hope someone hates someone...

Odds are kings will sweep and we can put the tournament to bed. /scf.

MerrimackBruin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Fueren

Yup, it's boring. The officiating has turned against the skill teams and is rewarding the defensive teams. Hopefully they fix (well, actually call it by) the rules in the next CBA.

Fueren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Duodenum

This was the first year I watched WHC games instead of playoff games. It started halfway through the season when obstruction stopped getting called.

Duodenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:53 PM
BCShark

i agree

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Slads
Can't-stand-ya

I have actually been watching more of the NBA finals and I have no interest in any of the teams there. So it has nothing to do with having a team that I'm rooting for. It is just the fact that the hockey has become boring. In all sports, a defensive style is always boring to watch.

Slads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...8733/index.htm

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Steve Buffery ? LOL

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:49 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Of course there is some truth to that, and I would certainly be more entertained if I was emotionally invested in one of the remaining teams, but that doesn't change the fact that the game has become boring and broken to a certain degree.
I wouldnt say the game is broken. I like the game today versus 30 years ago. Whats broken is the NHL Management and the Officiating system. The game has gotten to fast for the refs.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Meichel Kane
Ex-Armond White

I think this year is only "boring" in that there isn't a villain. Last year had Vancouver and Boston, which were two polarizing teams. We had Philadelphia in 2010 and Pittsburgh in 2009 and 2008--teams that most of North America has an opinion about one way or another. Did many neutral observers have that passion for or against Phoenix or LA? Nah. It has nothing to do with the hockey on the ice, which is about the same as past seasons. But we do need Ovechkin, Malkin and Lundqvist to form a super-team in Florida so we have something to root against.

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

It has everything to do with the hockey on the ice...

Why do people find the need to come up with so many random, erroneous "reasons" for these complaints?

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:09 PM
kihei

vCash: 3140
For the most part, it's fast but too often it's ugly. Not a vintage year, though a great final could mitigate that.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:24 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

The Rangers/Devils game tonight was incredible! I wanted the Rangers to win this one, but it was really good!

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
I think the playoffs have been decent so far. Not the best year but it isn't that bad..

I'm just glad the Rangers are out of it. I can't stare at the TV and watch them block the living hell out of every puck directed to the net....guys you have a god damn Vezina calibre goalie playing in net for you, not Vesa Toskala.

Stop blocking shots so much and open up the game a bit, who knows maybe it might have been Richards scoring that OT goal instead of Henrique.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
ManicMoonlight

Do people realize widening ice surfaces would lose money for the NHL? More ice = less seats = less money.

ManicMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
People say that every year.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote