HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

MAF to Chicago?

Old
05-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I would say there are times when he's inconsistent, but I cannot agree to this. After the 5-0 beatdown in Game 5 of the SCF, Fleury won us the battle. He also made a HUGE save on Ovy in Game 7 of the playoffs, too.

I mean... that is all I can ask for. Do I wish he was more consistent? Absolutely. Every Pens fan does. But because of our championship, I will give him free reign. If he wins us another and plays well, then boom. That's more than I could ask for.

I got him on the second tier level when it comes to ranking goalies.
So how many more playoffs of terrible goaltending performances by him will it take for that free reign to cease?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:10 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
So how many more playoffs of terrible goaltending performances by him will it take for that free reign to cease?
until a better goaltending option comes around. I wouldn't advise trading a signed goalie who has shown he has a level of performance that can win you a cup in the past with the "hopes" of signing someone in FA. MAF is literally the only goalie we have signed besides a career ECHL/AHL'er so its not wise...

Thats the deference between consistent teams and teams with revolving doors in the crease. Rather have some security with the hope MAF can regain his form.

Last edited by DoctrSteveBrule: 05-26-2012 at 12:16 AM.
DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:09 AM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
until a better goaltending option comes around. I wouldn't advise trading a signed goalie who has shown he has a level of performance that can win you a cup in the past with the "hopes" of signing someone in FA. MAF is literally the only goalie we have signed besides a career ECHL/AHL'er so its not wise...

Thats the deference between consistent teams and teams with revolving doors in the crease. Rather have some security with the hope MAF can regain his form.
Big deal. Go acquire Antti Niemi or any of the other goalies that fall somewhere in the career range of decent-good that have won a Stanley Cup.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Is MAF still untouchable? I dont think he is, Cause the pens have options this summer if they want to upgrade. what would it take to get him to chicago? Maybe package him in with staal.

Im guessing a package around Sharp, top 4 dman and prospect.
If the Pens are packaging a goaltender like MAF with Staal and are just hoping to get Sharp and a top 4 d-man and prospect...Shero should never work for another hockey team ever again.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Big deal. Go acquire Antti Niemi or any of the other goalies that fall somewhere in the career range of decent-good that have won a Stanley Cup.
So Niemi went to the finals twice?

Well this is news to me. Here I thought MAF was just a 1x finals flash in the pan goaltender...

Old
05-26-2012, 01:48 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
The last 3yrs, the defense and team defense was atrocious in addition to Fleury having his meltdown, not to mention some freak injuries that really messed with the team, talking about some vital core players, etc. When you have everyone on the team basically playing like crap including your goaltender, you don't single out 1 person and lay all of the blame on that player. Not sure if people can comprehend this.

IF the Pens played their system and the defense wasn't playing like crap and Fleury was the guy that let them down as the sole person the team lost in the playoffs...he deserves the blame.

But it's far from the case, very far.

Next time, know what you are talking about. I know you are a mod and hope you don't take offense, but I am replying to your comment, so hopefully you don't take offense to that. I am sure if anyone said something about your team without knowing the full situation, you'd be like "wait...what the hell is this guy talking about?"

Old
05-26-2012, 02:01 AM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
So Niemi went to the finals twice?

Well this is news to me. Here I thought MAF was just a 1x finals flash in the pan goaltender...
Big deal. The team had the two best centers in the world to carry the offense. They didn't need world class goaltending. And they didn't get it. You'll probably just utter some nonsense about how he had his big moments but made that save you needed that one time. Niemi has been in the NHL 3 seasons and has 1 Stanley Cup. Fleury has been in it seven years and won it the same number of times. How about if we just look at Conference Finals? Then they're equal again. You keep making excuses for Fleury's rotten playoff performances with "well everyone played bad". Good players are supposed to step up and be the guys that can carry the team for a while. Fleury posted good enough numbers for the Penguins to win the Cup that one time 4 years ago. .908 save percentage. Not that amazing. Clearly experience hasn't made him any better yet as he gets worse with age. Career .909 save percentage in the regular season and .904 in the playoffs. Sorry if people agree to disagree that this 27 year old "kid" is some world-class goaltender who just needs to put it all together.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Big deal. The team had the two best centers in the world to carry the offense. They didn't need world class goaltending. And they didn't get it. You'll probably just utter some nonsense about how he had his big moments but made that save you needed that one time. Niemi has been in the NHL 3 seasons and has 1 Stanley Cup. Fleury has been in it seven years and won it the same number of times. How about if we just look at Conference Finals? Then they're equal again. You keep making excuses for Fleury's rotten playoff performances with "well everyone played bad". Good players are supposed to step up and be the guys that can carry the team for a while. Fleury posted good enough numbers for the Penguins to win the Cup that one time 4 years ago. .908 save percentage. Not that amazing. Clearly experience hasn't made him any better yet as he gets worse with age. Career .909 save percentage in the regular season and .904 in the playoffs. Sorry if people agree to disagree that this 27 year old "kid" is some world-class goaltender who just needs to put it all together.
LOL because for the first three years of his career the pens didn't totally suck. Their lineup couldn't even be considered AHL tier. Yes EVERYONE played bad its not a damn excuse it's the truth. When your first line is neal-jeffrey-kovalev let's see how far you go.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

I saw a recent proposal/rumour with Chicago supposedly considering paying through the nose for Staal, and I would welcome the notion of them bleeding out entirely while including Fleury in the scenario .

Of course.... problem is that it is hard to get a certain upgrade on MAF.... and we have nothing in the pipeline. But I suppose we could have a fine shot at a guy like Vokoun on July 1st if the Nr.1 spot was available.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
How is that an appropriate response to my point?

I said there is no point in getting someone who "might" be better.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Kershaw

Just sign Josh Harding, he is as good as Fleury.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Jaded-Fan

Sure, because goalie is a position so easy to find a replacement. Ask Flyer fans.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Until Fleury becomes a goaltender that can't even play well enough in the regular season that he can't get his team to the playoffs, Fleury is still a good goalie, watch him in the regular season.

Quote:
Quote:
Is "big deal" you're only argument? You're sitting here trying to tell Pens fans what kind of goalie they have by simply looking at stats and watching playoff games. Fleury has back to back cup Final appearances, which means he helped the Pens to 2 ECF titles and 1 Stanley Cup, we lost to a good Detroit team and beat a good Detroit team. And it wasn't because of just Sid and Geno, Fleury played a huge part of our team's success and still does.

It is rare to see a goalie carry a team to victory when the team in front of him plays like ****. If you seriously think that the past 3 playoff series' the Pens lost are just Fleury's fault, you're delusional.

You people seem to think that with a goalie, it's "what have you done for me lately". If that's the case, it took the Devils 9 years to get back to the SCF, There was a period of time where they couldn't get out of the 1st round just like the Pens are now, and last year the Devils missed the playoffs and finished near the bottom of the league, is Martin Brodeur an overrated, horrendous goalie?

How about Luongo, he helped the Canucks to back to back President's Trophies, SCF last year but lost in the 1st round this year, I guess he's overrated and horrendous also?

These arguments against Fleury don't make sense because you can't look at a goalie's stats and blame everything on him, when the defense in front of you is turning the puck over in the defensive zone, not being aggressive on the PK, being out of position, taking dumb penalties, etc. There is only so much a goalie can do. Fleury tried to get this team back in the series, he was stellar in both games 4 and 5 against Philly, but game 6, Pens did the same thing, out of position, took penalties, etc.

There are a select few goalies I would take over Fleury. I'm not going to sit here and say Fleury is one of the best in the league or even elite, but I would rather have him than most starting goalies in the NHL, including Antti Niemi.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Bennett Brauer

I will leave these here.

Yeah, don't think he's that bad, overrated or horrendous.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:32 PM
IKEA

Highly unlikely, packaging MAF & J. Staal in one trade doesn't seem realistic. Either one of those players are considered 'important' to PITT, and if they were to be traded, I would assume that they would be shipped off separately (ala Carter & Richards) to maximize incoming assets.

Chicago wouldn't have much to package without shipping essential parts of their core.

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:33 PM
IKEA

& then again, who would play goal keep for the pens after MAF's departure? Johnson! Mediocre UFA!

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:35 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKEA View Post
& then again, who would play goal keep for the pens after MAF's departure? Johnson! Mediocre UFA!
not even, the only goalie we have under contract this year, besides MAF, is http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=98274

huge risk moving him, regardless of how good you think he is.