HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

ECF | Game 6 | New York Rangers @ Your New Jersey Devils | 8PM EDT

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdss4 View Post
I sure hope you're right. Marty will most likely be the deciding factor tonight. I don't think Lundqvist will allow 4 or 5 goals again, like in the previous two games, so Marty will have to be near perfect.
We definitely need bulletproof Marty tonight. I don't expect either team to give up much defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
Kovy just got steroids and cortizone shots in his ass. He's scoring 3 tonight.
God, I'd love to see that. If there's any game we could really use Kovy beast mode, it's tonight's.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:51 PM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I despise listening to the radio because that's all you hear... BS commercial bands who can't sing or play a legit instrument.

Oh, I forgot one of my all time best.... PANTERA !!!!!!!! (with Metallica, everything before the black album, in the background from time to time).
No love on this board for Queens of the Stone Age? In '94 they were better known as Kyuss, but they are fantastic.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking72 View Post
No love on this board for Queens of the Stone Age? In '94 they were better known as Kyuss, but they are fantastic.
I love me some QotSA. I believe Krinkle is a fan as well.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking72 View Post
Can't go wrong with QOTSA but if I had to give props to every band I liked in the 90's... it would equal a length of my rants I make about A-Train

Old
05-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Proramm

lets go boys end it tonight

Old
05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
5-0 when posting Duke

Old
05-25-2012, 03:06 PM
SouthDevil30

The best way to win tonight? Pete should have Stevens come into the locker room and give a speech. I think I remember Elias saying after game 5 that he will address the team before tonights game cause he's been there before, leadership wins Championships

Old
05-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Patty and DeBoer will have them ready to go. They know what's at stake, and they're playing for each other. As DeBoer said, they don't need any more fuel than that.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:12 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Seriously how the **** does Sal have 11 points

Old
05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Seriously how the **** does Sal have 11 points
No idea, but I hope he gets more tonight.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:16 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

A couple of his points have been a little weak (like his assist last game) but he's had some great goals and some pretty solid assists. I love what Sal is doing

Old
05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
NJDEVIL732
One game at a time..

End it tonight!!! Sick of hearing this 94 bs, looking to see this on the menu for rag fans tonight!

Last edited by NJDEVIL732: 05-25-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
JimEIV

This really is too much to handle.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM
School

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
It's out of our hands now. All we can do is hope our boys pull it off.

Last edited by daveskirtun: 05-25-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdss4 View Post
Gah, I'm so nervous! Can NJ really pull it off and win 3 straight? It'd be the best non-Cup series win ever, imo.
It'd definitely be in the discussion. Coming from 3-1 down against the Flyers in 2000 was epic and we had a David-Goliath takedown of Ottawa in 2003 but beating the Rangers at home to cap a Cinderella Conference Final run would be something else.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Flyers fan here

Rangers, come at me bro

Old
05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
A couple of his points have been a little weak (like his assist last game) but he's had some great goals and some pretty solid assists. I love what Sal is doing
He has three goals. One was deflected in by Simmonds, another was a blind clear the length of the ice into an empty net, and another was a softy that found its way through Lundqvist's five hole when eight players were screening him. All hilariously lucky, but I guess when you're a defensive defenceman in the playoffs, it's better to be lucky than good.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
This really is too much to handle.
Just google puppy pictures, like me. Really helps with the heart rate.

Or flies if you prefer

Old
05-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Seventeen months ago we were the worst team in the world:

Sometimes it's hard to believe how bad, and how much of an anomaly, last season was. I think I would attribute that season to how difficult it was for all of us to come to terms with the fact that we had a REALLY good team this year. Yes, there were growing pains with a new system and a lot of new faces and some injuries to start the season.

But tell me, had last season never happened, and we came into preseason or Game 1 of a season with the ideal roster, this board and fanbase would be BEYOND pumped. It was what happened last season with Maclean. The defense didn't look stellar, but everyone was effective and no one could tell which pairing was the first, second, or third. And the offensive depth was PHENOMENAL.

I think a lot of us don't remember what kind of expectation there were for the start of the 10-11 season. We had arguably the best offense in the league on paper. And our team doesn't look much different from that now.

I noticed a lot of fans, including myself, were tentative to really get behind this team when they started rolling through the league after the All Star break. Last season made it really difficult for us fans to have confidence in a team made up of mostly the same players, no matter how well they seemed to be doing. The fans, this team, and it's players, are finally be rewarded for what they went through last season. It's weird looking at where we are now only a year and a half after Jacque Lemaire looked at guys like Elias, Kovalchuk and Zajac, and coming to the conclusion that they had forgotten how to play hockey.

I know this is long, but what I'm getting at, is that this team learned something last season. They learned not to take winning for granted, and the fans did as well, if maybe a little TOO much. Maybe that's why, going into tonight's game, I'm far more confident than I should be. The Devils finally have that killer instinct that seemed lacking for so many years, and which culminated in the worst half of a hockey season I've ever witnessed.

TL;DR: I'm not worried about tonight anymore. The Devils may lose, but at this point, I have nothing left to complain about.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:32 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He has three goals. One was deflected in by Simmonds, another was a blind clear the length of the ice into an empty net, and another was a softy that found its way through Lundqvist's five hole when eight players were screening him. All hilariously lucky, but I guess when you're a defensive defenceman in the playoffs, it's better to be lucky than good.
Hey, that ENG takes some accuracy from that deep! And the goal on Lundvist did require him to throw the puck on net which occasionally is an issue from the blue line. His assist on Zidlicky's goal was a beauty though.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:35 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Just google puppy pictures, like me. Really helps with the heart rate.

Or flies if you prefer

Both work well...

Now for a fun fact: see those feathers that are black and gold and kind of look like an eye? They are called junglecock.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalchukFistPump View Post
I love the 90's bands you mentioned, but you shouldn't compare the best of yesterday to the worst of today.
This is pretty much my answer to every music today sucks rant I see. Sure I love plenty of music from the past, but there are plenty of great current bands. For every famous band that's crap today there's another that's great.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

I'm outta here to catch a train for Newark!

"Angels and ministers of grace defend us."

Old
05-25-2012, 03:36 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Flyers fan here

Rangers, come at me bro
Thank you, Bill.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:38 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
But tell me, had last season never happened, and we came into preseason or Game 1 of a season with the ideal roster, this board and fanbase would be BEYOND pumped. It was what happened last season with Maclean. The defense didn't look stellar, but everyone was effective and no one could tell which pairing was the first, second, or third. And the offensive depth was PHENOMENAL.

I think a lot of us don't remember what kind of expectation there were for the start of the 10-11 season. We had arguably the best offense in the league on paper. And our team doesn't look much different from that now.

I noticed a lot of fans, including myself, were tentative to really get behind this team when they started rolling through the league after the All Star break. Last season made it really difficult for us fans to have confidence in a team made up of mostly the same players, no matter how well they seemed to be doing. The fans, this team, and it's players, are finally be rewarded for what they went through last season. It's weird looking at where we are now only a year and a half after Jacque Lemaire looked at guys like Elias, Kovalchuk and Zajac, and coming to the conclusion that they had forgotten how to play hockey.

I know this is long, but what I'm getting at, is that this team learned something last season. They learned not to take winning for granted, and the fans did as well, if maybe a little TOO much. Maybe that's why, going into tonight's game, I'm far more confident than I should be. The Devils finally have that killer instinct that seemed lacking for so many years, and which culminated in the worst half of a hockey season I've ever witnessed.

TL;DR: I'm not worried about tonight anymore. The Devils may lose, but at this point, I have nothing left to complain about.
Right now it definitely is an anomaly...but last December we all definitely thought the franchise was heading in the wrong direction, between the bad finish to '09-10 (before Mac ever got here), Kovy bombing and all the fuss his contract caused, Marty looking finished, etc. Not to get on the soapbox - and it turned out we got lucky with the draft anyway - but it just goes to show that winning in the second half of the season the way we did WAS important, a lot more important than 'positioning' ourselves for the draft would have been.

Closed Thread