Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
justheducks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
That's not how the real world works. Regardless of his motives, if Schultz doesn't want to play here he is not going to sign a deal and then hope the team trades him because he doesn't want to be here. Not when he has the UFA option. What happens when Bob says, "sorry Justin, nobody wants to give us what you are worth. See you at camp."? Nobody in their right mind would do what you suggest.
Give me a freakin break. This could have easily happened.
Justin does all of his bargaining before he signs the deal.
And you are wrong, I would do this and I know a lot of people that would.
Don't defend the coward move by Schultz. He could have done it the way I mentioned and it could have worked for all parties. Clearly, you can't think outside the box.
Whatever happened to doing the right thing? Justin clearly has some type of character issue if he does not sign with the Ducks.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Don't defend the coward move by Schultz. He could have done it the way I mentioned and it could have worked for all parties. Clearly, you can't think outside the box.
Whatever happened to doing the right thing? Justin clearly has some type of character issue if he does not sign with the Ducks.
Yes, but why would he? All it does is weaken the team he wants to play for. What incentive does he have to remove a high draft pick or prospects from the team he actually wants to play for?

Old
06-04-2012, 09:43 PM
justheducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Yes, but why would he? All it does is weaken the team he wants to play for. What incentive does he have to remove a high draft pick or prospects from the team he actually wants to play for?
Cause the team that drafted you spent tons of money scouting you and dedicating a high draft pick on you. They traded their top Dman prospect in order to give you a spot on the roster even though you waited forever to play in college even though you could have played in the NHL within 2 years of being drafted. You also promised them you were going to sign and were looking forward to signing with Anaheim when he finished college.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Cause the team that drafted you spent tons of money scouting you and dedicating a high draft pick on you. They traded their top Dman prospect in order to give you a spot on the roster even though you waited forever to play in college even though you could have played in the NHL within 2 years of being drafted. You also promised them you were going to sign and were looking forward to signing with Anaheim when he finished college.
Yes, and he's decided he wants nothing to do with them and owes them nothing. Once he's already decided to screw over the Ducks, there's really zero incentive for him to damage the team he DOES care about. That team losing a draft pick will damage HIS future success. There literally no incentive to do so outside of a loyalty to the team that drafted him, and if he had that, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The kid is a mercenary. No point expecting him to not act like one.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
justheducks

Quote:
Yes, and he's decided he wants nothing to do with them and owes them nothing. Once he's already decided to screw over the Ducks, there's really zero incentive for him to damage the team he DOES care about. That team losing a draft pick will damage HIS future success. There literally no incentive to do so outside of a loyalty to the team that drafted him, and if he had that, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The kid is a mercenary. No point expecting him to not act like one.
I can't disagree there. I guess I have a heart so I wouldn't do that to the team that drafted me.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Neither you nor any of the people you know who would do this are NHL players or prospects. If you were, I guarantee you would change your mind after your agent explained the business side better.

I'm not defending him. I'm not at all happy about this. I'm just explaining why he won't do that. You are clearly too emotional to think this through. Why don't you answer my question. What does he do in your scenario where he signs the contract, and then when Bob doesn't trade him because Bob can't get what he feels is fair value? Then what does Schultz do? Hockey is big business. Everyone does what is in their best interest. And it doubly isn't in his best interest for the reason DVM noted.

This isn't about thinking outside the box. It would be a horrible business decision on Schultz part if he doesn't want to play here. That's just a fact.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Duckr

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Shultz signed and we traded him before the whole June 1st deadline he would have been signing under the 2008 CBA. I don't understand your line of thinking in that Shultz should have signed for less money so that we could trade him for something. It just makes no sense on Shultz's end to sign for less and get traded to where he wants as opposed to waiting a month and signing where he wants for with the added bonus of some extra coin and not costing his new team anyone.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:23 PM
justheducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckr View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Shultz signed and we traded him before the whole June 1st deadline he would have been signing under the 2008 CBA. I don't understand your line of thinking in that Shultz should have signed for less money so that we could trade him for something. It just makes no sense on Shultz's end to sign for less and get traded to where he wants as opposed to waiting a month and signing where he wants for with the added bonus of some extra coin and not costing his new team anyone.
it's 50k!
He could have left college mid last season and signed with the Ducks for the last 10 games and made 100k-150k.
So that would have been more then him waiting...
So there goes your point...

Old
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Duckr

Not really...

That would just vilify him more. Knowing that he signed just to squeeze money out of the Ducks organization for the last few games and then ask to be traded to his desired team. If he did go this route it's not even certain that Murray would allow a trade, like Eddie was saying.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckr View Post
Not really...

That would just vilify him more. Knowing that he signed just to squeeze money out of the Ducks organization for the last few games and then ask to be traded to his desired team. If he did go this route it's not even certain that Murray would allow a trade, like Eddie was saying.
At least we could have gotten something for him in that instance.

Hes going to be villified in any situation that isnt him signing and playing in Anaheim.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Unholy
waifu

Yeah that's not happening here.

06-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Yeah that's not happening here.
Clearly stated sarcasm in the link.

Anyways, I'm bored in San Diego. Can we at least punk the Anaheim Ducks Facebook fan page?

Old
06-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Disgruntled Goat

On the Facebook page it says the Ducks and Schultz just agreed on a contract!!!!!

Old
06-05-2012, 01:10 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
On the Facebook page it says the Ducks and Schultz just agreed on a contract!!!!!

Old
06-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Disgruntled Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Your welcome

Old
06-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post

Old
06-05-2012, 01:24 AM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
wow...just....wow

Old
06-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Seriously weak ****.

Why don't you pull the wings off some butterflies or maybe put a kitten in a microwave next. That'd be a cool way to mess with some more kids' heads too.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Disgruntled Goat

There's a link on it. It got me for a second too, until I realized it said sarcasm on it.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Quote:
Seriously weak ****.

Why don't you pull the wings off some butterflies or maybe put a kitten in a microwave next. That'd be a cool way to mess with some more kids' heads too.

Inhale and exhale, it's going to be okay.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Please read the last post on Facebook.

Old
06-05-2012, 02:26 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Wait so Murray didn't threaten an ultimatum on Schultz?
Sign or you're off the reserve list, and back in the draft?
If this is the case and he could have done it, it's another strike against Murray, it's honestly pathetic how he is not talking about what's going on, and used that b level PR release a month ago

Old
06-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Koffein

Quote:
it's 50k!
He could have left college mid last season and signed with the Ducks for the last 10 games and made 100k-150k.
So that would have been more then him waiting...
So there goes your point...
If he would have signed with us during the season it would have been a 3-year deal. Any ELC signed after july 1 will be for 2 years, so it's worth to note that signing a contract early wouldn't have given him a chance no negotiate a new contract earlier.
From my calculations he might have actually made just over 200k this season if he signed with us on the day of the Colorado game with a maxed out signing bonus, wich is a good amount of money. Thing is though, by waiting to july 1 he only loses about 20k in the end and I'm sure Wade Arnott has made that fact very clear. ($1777432 total had he signed the day of the Avs game vs $1757500 if he signs in july by the end of 2013-14 when those deals would expire)
The good thing from Ducks POV, how unlikely it might seem these days, that he could have seen it as a manageable sacrifice to complete his last year at school but by doing that it would kind of force him from an economical perspective to wait until july 1 even if he wants to sign with us. In addition, if he would sign here between the end of the regular season and june 30 I believe it would still be a 3 year ELC starting this fall, and it that scenario he would definitely lose alot of money.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:58 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffein View Post
If he would have signed with us during the season it would have been a 3-year deal. Any ELC signed after july 1 will be for 2 years, so it's worth to note that signing a contract early wouldn't have given him a chance no negotiate a new contract earlier.
From my calculations he might have actually made just over 200k this season if he signed with us on the day of the Colorado game with a maxed out signing bonus, wich is a good amount of money. Thing is though, by waiting to july 1 he only loses about 20k in the end and I'm sure Wade Arnott has made that fact very clear. ($1777432 total had he signed the day of the Avs game vs $1757500 if he signs in july by the end of 2013-14 when those deals would expire)
The good thing from Ducks POV, how unlikely it might seem these days, that he could have seen it as a manageable sacrifice to complete his last year at school but by doing that it would kind of force him from an economical perspective to wait until july 1 even if he wants to sign with us. In addition, if he would sign here between the end of the regular season and june 30 I believe it would still be a 3 year ELC starting this fall, and it that scenario he would definitely lose alot of money.
Not true. If he had signed during the season it would still be a two year ELC. And the first year would have counted in 2011-2012.

ELC length is only dependent on age. And "age" is determined by the calendar year, not his direct birthday (it's his age on Sept 15 of the year the contract is signed).

Old
06-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Koffein

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Not true. If he had signed during the season it would still be a two year ELC. And the first year would have counted in 2011-2012.

ELC length is only dependent on age. And "age" is determined by the calendar year, not his direct birthday (it's his age on Sept 15 of the year the contract is signed).
My bad. Just looked at the length of Gardiners contract and figured the same would go for Schultz all season.

Closed Thread