HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 12: Can we all agree?

Old
05-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Dreakon

vCash: 500
NHL 12: Can we all agree?

Can we all agree that one timer goals on the rush are an exploit? They're just so easy to score with, especially with the flukey way laying down randomly won't position you in a way to actually stop it, kneeling only sort of works half the time and there just aren't enough players on the ice (or in the benches, the locker room, the stands, etc) to stop that pass.

It's the only thing I've seen in the game that if you try it enough, it will always work... and will probably win you online versus matches in most cases. It's also the first thing inexperienced players latch onto, coincidentally, because it wins them games. I used to do it all the time when I first started, now I try to shy away from it unless I'm really down in a game or I see the other player trying it every time they are near my net. People even make ridiculous passes, trying to set up a one timer, to no one... because they just don't know what else to do.

I know, I know... "play better defense". Technically any exploit is stoppable if you just never let the other player into your zone. That's just unrealistic though, right?

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

1 timers are easy to stop if you stay with the guy he's trying to pass to. The glitch shot short side is way more abused.

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
1 timers are easy to stop if you stay with the guy he's trying to pass to.
I've had multiple guys hounding the one receiving the pass (because I can see it coming a mile away at this point), usually leads to either a penalty on me or a goal for them.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Dr Good Vibes

It's pretty much the same in the NHL to be honest.

Goalies have a hard time stopping cross-slot one-timers.

They aren't that hard to defend in my opinion.

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Krishna

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I am fully aware of that. It's by no means without fault though. It doesn't matter how well you prepare yourself to intercept the puck, if someone tries it enough, it will sneak past you and they will score.

And believe me, they do try it... all the time. You don't lose 6-1 with every one of those 6 being a one-timer without realizing that... and those were just the ones I couldn't intercept. It was literally every time they entered the zone, whether an intended receiver was there or not (meaning the AI wasn't even in position for the one-timer but they were so desperate they tried passing anyways). No matter how diligent you are, no matter how many guys you have clogging that passing lane...

Isn't that infuriating?

Old
05-25-2012, 11:34 PM
Peter Petan
I Can Fly!

vCash: 50
The poke-check button is your friend

Peter Petan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:05 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

While I do agree that passes get through defenders way too easily in this game, the bigger issue is that the AI lets players get into those positions for shots and passes in the first place.

Bottom line - play with human teammates who know what they're doing, and those goals basically disappear for the most part because those plays never have the chance to develop. Play with the CPU AI, or with teammates who suck, and those plays will result in goals. And to be fair, in the real NHL, if those plays are allowed to develop, they do usually result in goals.

Once again, the key is to not let those plays develop in the first place, which is what defenders in the real NHL do anyways.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote