HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

form of Travel in Juniors?

Old
05-26-2012, 08:07 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Here is a video series on a Mooseheads roadie from 2010. It shows them taking the bus "going" and then flying back at the end of the trip. It's interesting!

here are some more videos of moosehead roadtrips

the videos are good...any one know of any for other chl teams?

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 05-26-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added a couple more videos
UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Booom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Edmonton plays in Rexall Place... The atmosphere must be absolute garbage. Average attendance has been ~5,000-6,000. That's ~11,000-10,000 empty seats each night. No thanks.
Similar situation with Calgary, Vancouver, Portland.

On a separate note, the best place to play in the CHL would probably be London.
Knowing how the players are treated, the accommodations they have and the cities in general, I have a hard time believing anywhere would be better than Kelowna or Vancouver.

Booom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I've spent time in western canada...and i'm not being ignorant. I simply wouldn't want to live in most of the cities. I'm sure some of them are great...Van, Kelowna, Seattle, Victoria, Portland...but a lot of them wouldn't be great to live in for 8 months of the year, sorry. My reasons aren't only because of cold weather.

You're right about the OHL cities...I wouldn't want to live in the ones you mentioned either.
You study and play hockey, it's not like you have to raise kids and stuff.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:31 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Here is a video series on a Mooseheads roadie from 2010. It shows them taking the bus "going" and then flying back at the end of the trip. It's interesting!

the videos are good...any one know of any for other chl teams?
I've never found any.
John Moore does a real nice job with his stuff.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Kitchener and Ottawa would be good, too (although, K might get pretty boring).
They're kids, if they're worrying about the city being too boring they probably aren't going to last long when they find out after school and hockey most of their freetime is spent at their billets and not outside.

And since nightlife isn't a concern for junior aged kids, London is nearly identical to Kitchener.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I have to admit I've never been to western Canada, actually never west of Toronto really, but I just don't get why someone would consider playing in a smaller city terrible, or why that city is considered a dump. I'm just looking up Prince George since it was mentioned, seems like a nice place from pictures and has over 70,000 people. By comparison, Bathurst only has about 13,000 people in its CA, which isn't a whole lot more than where I am, and they have no trouble attracting players... at least that I know of.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. When I lived in Sydney it was a pastime of mine to go down to C200 on game days to see the visiting team busses, some of them were really cool looking. I also know that Halifax leases a bus from A.S.H. Coachlines in NL. A couple of years ago my high school chartered a bus for its band trip and we ended up with the Mooseheads bus. Ironically, the trip was to Halifax so we got to ride around the city in Moosehead colours for a week.

Also, when the Fog Devils were still in St. John's, teams flew in and out. CanJet was the official air carrier of the Fog Devils. If not, the 12 hour drive across the island would have been brutal.
Prince George is a redneck city. I heard PA was a dump.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
They're kids, if they're worrying about the city being too boring they probably aren't going to last long when they find out after school and hockey most of their freetime is spent at their billets and not outside.

And since nightlife isn't a concern for junior aged kids, London is nearly identical to Kitchener.
Good point - admittedly, I'm way older than jr. level players so the things that would be of concern to me are probably no concern to them.

London, Kitchener, Windsor seem to have enthusiastic fan bases. The facilities in Oshawa are nice...haven't seen a game there in a while, so don't know how much ppl are into hockey there - but when i've been it was lots of fun.

going back to the WHL cities...the reason I think quite a few would be hard to play in isn't just the cold. Depending on the location, the bus rides must be brutal - keep in mind you get a lot of two lane highways out there. For those of you interesting in guessing what a roadie might be like, try using google maps to see the distances...and use google streetview to have a peak at what some of the cities (and roads connecting them) are like.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:26 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I've never found any.
John Moore does a real nice job with his stuff.
yeah, i hadn't seen his stuff before. i watched a bunch of other videos he had up and they were great.

here's a video clip from the news prior to a Knights roadie (it's interviews before they go out on the road, so not behind the scenes - but still fun stuff!).

Old
05-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Aerial

Quote:
going back to the WHL cities...the reason I think quite a few would be hard to play in isn't just the cold. Depending on the location, the bus rides must be brutal - keep in mind you get a lot of two lane highways out there. For those of you interesting in guessing what a roadie might be like, try using google maps to see the distances...and use google streetview to have a peak at what some of the cities (and roads connecting them) are like.
On the other hand, most of these kids are from Western Canada, and are going to be more used to that stuff anyway. If you grew up in small-town Saskatchewan / Alberta / Manitoba, I can tell you firsthand that hours of winter night driving on a two-lane highway seems pretty normal... and if you're on a bus and not trapped in the van with your entire family, your mother's horrible taste in radio and your brother whining, it would probably be downright luxurious compared to what you'd been used to. (Ahem.)

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 12:40 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
On the other hand, most of these kids are from Western Canada, and are going to be more used to that stuff anyway. If you grew up in small-town Saskatchewan / Alberta / Manitoba, I can tell you firsthand that hours of winter night driving on a two-lane highway seems pretty normal... and if you're on a bus and not trapped in the van with your entire family, your mother's horrible taste in radio and your brother whining, it would probably be downright luxurious compared to what you'd been used to. (Ahem.)
This is a very excellent point!

except for 4 years of undergrad in Kingston, Ontario (a little small for my liking), I've spent my life living in Toronto. I have spent a lot of time out west, too...but probably not getting the experience that someone getting "hockey culture" out there would have. so, yes...i see how for me, there would be a *horror..horror* aspect to the "western experience" that is not as bad as i make it sound.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:00 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

PG is a horrible city to live in

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:

Tell that to Nathan MacKinnon

Also nightlife is a huge issue for junior aged kids. Drinking age in Quebec & Alberta is only 18.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Canadian Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
PG is a horrible city to live in
Says the guy with what I am assuming is Fort St. John as the location...

PG isn't as bad of a town as people are making it out to be. The ownership of the team is a joke. This has caused many fans to stop supporting the team which means crowds are laughably small at the 'Plex. In comparison, on multiple occasions throughout the winter the Spruce Kings had more than 2000 fans in their barn - so the fans are there, just refusing to support the Cougars ownership....but that's off topic by a lot hahaha

The cougars travel by bus, and quite a nice bus at that. But they're some long ass road trips, on some not so fun roads. Especially when you consider their closest trip would be to Kamloops at, in a bus, probably 6hrs.

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Speaking as a guy who's probably done more travelling to junior hockey games than most fans, doing roadies within the O and the Q really isn't that bad. The Q has some insanely long distances, but the population seems to be clustered into a few centres. Bathurst, Moncton, PEI, Halifax and Saint John are only a few hours apart, and the Quebec heart of the Q is all pretty close together as well (Gatineau to Chicoutimi is only about six hours). I've done BAT/PEI/HFX in a three day weekend in a rental car and it was pretty easy driving. It's only when you start talking about Rouyn-Cape Breton that the distances start to look ridiculous.

The OHL's worst roadies are probably Sault->Erie (10 hours and you get to go through Cleveland!) or Sault->Ottawa (11 hours, nearly all on two-lane roads). As a London fan our longest roadie is only 7 hours to the Sault, and it's all freeway the whole way. Cake. OHL travel pales in comparison to the other two leagues.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Tell that to Nathan MacKinnon

Also nightlife is a huge issue for junior aged kids. Drinking age in Quebec & Alberta is only 18.
You realize most teams will kick them off or bench them if they drink. Nightlife is a none issue, every player has a curfew.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:42 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
You realize most teams will kick them off or bench them if they drink. Nightlife is a none issue, every player has a curfew.
As long as it doesn't get out of hand, and they keep it on the down-low, it happens all the time. Do you expect a bunch of teen guys who play hockey, mostly living on their own, not to party at least somewhat regularly?

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:47 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
They have curfews but players do go out and have a social life

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Kitchener and Ottawa would be good, too (although, K might get pretty boring).
Kitchener has 2 universities (University of Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier + maybe the largest college in Ontario with Conestoga College) and the home of Oktoberfest.....boring?...I don't think so!
The teams in the O that would be ideal to play for due to travel and education would be Kitchener, London, Guelph, Missy and Brampton.
These also tend to be the preferable teams to players because the NHL scouts scour these teams more than others due to convenience of taking in a number
of games with very little travel and they can book into a hotel and stay there for a few days.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
As long as it doesn't get out of hand, and they keep it on the down-low, it happens all the time. Do you expect a bunch of teen guys who play hockey, mostly living on their own, not to party at least somewhat regularly?
As long as they keep to the laws of province (being of age) all teams allow drinking like you said. Some teams don't allow drinking in public , I believe Kitchener suspended Derek Roy for drinking in public.
Teams need to keep the players from "going overboard" on things since they do need to convince and prove to prospective players parents that they will be good guardians of their kid.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 05-30-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:37 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
Says the guy with what I am assuming is Fort St. John as the location...

PG isn't as bad of a town as people are making it out to be. The ownership of the team is a joke. This has caused many fans to stop supporting the team which means crowds are laughably small at the 'Plex. In comparison, on multiple occasions throughout the winter the Spruce Kings had more than 2000 fans in their barn - so the fans are there, just refusing to support the Cougars ownership....but that's off topic by a lot hahaha

The cougars travel by bus, and quite a nice bus at that. But they're some long ass road trips, on some not so fun roads. Especially when you consider their closest trip would be to Kamloops at, in a bus, probably 6hrs.
I never said Fort St.John was a good or bad place to live in

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
If I could choose where to play in the O, it would either be London or Kitchener. Both fantastic towns, I currently go to University in Waterloo, and let me tell you there is a lot to do in the KW region. Another advantage is that it is so central to everything.

Travel times from Kitch:

London: 1 hour
Guelph: 30 min
Brampton: 1 hour
Miss: 1 hour
Oshawa: 2.5 hours
Sarnia: 2 hours
Owen Sound: 2 hours

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
Teenagers drink to get drunk, they don't just drink. Can you think of any of your friends in highschool who drank just to drink? I can't, they all drank to get drunk, and that's a no no. Canadian junior players are not going out a couple times a week and getting drunk, that's definitely against the rules.

This started because I said nightlife isn't a factor, because players aren't going out to clubs or bars. Nightlife isn't a factor, NHL teams don't like it when their players are out at an establishment near gamedays, for kids who are full time students as well as full time players. it's even worse. They're not living on their own either, don't know where you got that idea from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
They have curfews but players do go out and have a social life
I didn't know you had to drink to have a social life.

The fact is, the majority of players are not drinking like normal teenagers, and the ones that are take pains to not get caught, the ones of age are certainly not going out to bars on off nights, which is the nightlife part. If they're drinking, they're doing it at a friends house, and they aren't getting drunk.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Spitzman

Quote:
Cape Breton to Rouyn-Noranda is the worst trip in the entire CHL if I'm not mistaken. I did it once in my life and I'd rather never do it again.
Cape Breton to Rouyn-Noranda....2032 km...24 hour drive.

Brandon to Vancouver....2082 km....24 hour drive.

Longest OHL drive...Erie to Sault Ste. Marie....973km....almost 10 hours.

Spitzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
The fact is, the majority of players are not drinking like normal teenagers, and the ones that are take pains to not get caught, the ones of age are certainly not going out to bars on off nights, which is the nightlife part. If they're drinking, they're doing it at a friends house, and they aren't getting drunk.
I definitely wouldn't say this with any certainty. Knowing quite a few players that have played/play in the CHL, the bolded is pretty naive.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I definitely wouldn't say this with any certainty. Knowing quite a few players that have played/play in the CHL, the bolded is pretty naive.
It really isn't. If you know people that have played, you should know they have next to no time off as it is to go out. The ones of age will occasionaly go to a bar, but they're not getting hammered and they're not doing it all the time. Teams that let their players do that with regularity probably aren't the most reputable organizations.