HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz de-registers from Winsconsin

Old
05-25-2012, 08:29 PM
KISSland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
It's going to amuse me when Schultz busts.
I'm %95 sure he won't and if he does the team will put him in the minors.

I haven't seen him play myself, but I've read my share of reports all signs point to top 4 QB defeceman.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Dado

vCash:
If he's UFA and wants to play in Vancouver, why trade anything for him?

Old
05-25-2012, 08:36 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
If he's UFA and wants to play in Vancouver, why trade anything for him?
Not sure he's said he wants to play for Vancouver. And actually I've heard his favorite city is Edmonton. But his parents are big Nuck fans so who knows.

I would try and trade for his rights to get a jump on him

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think the point here is that people are comparing it to getting a Top 3 pick and Schultz really is not at that level. Lots of potential but there are still issues with his game and he will need to adapt to the NHL. I think the Canucks should pursue him but people are definitely overrating him because he happens to be from North Van.
I don't think it has anything to do with being from North Van...when people see guys like Dreger, McKenzie and Button (less so) saying he's a top notch, NHL ready player with PP QB potential there is going to be some excitement...the fact he is from North Van only builds hopes that the Canucks are a team he's interested in playing for.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with being from North Van...when people see guys like Dreger, McKenzie and Button (less so) saying he's a top notch, NHL ready player with PP QB potential there is going to be some excitement...the fact he is from North Van only builds hopes that the Canucks are a team he's interested in playing for.
What was the last college defensemen to immediately make the NHL and make a difference? I can't seem to recall one. Jack Johnson, who was probably the most hyped college defenseman in recent memory, in his first post-college season had 11 points and was -19.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
What was the last college defensemen to immediately make the NHL and make a difference? I can't seem to recall one. Jack Johnson, who was probably the most hyped college defenseman in recent memory, in his first post-college season had 11 points and was -19.
Jake Gardiner was from the same program, he only played 10 AHL games in the 2010-2011 season after his 2010-2011 college season was over. He contributed 30 points and a +/- rating of -2 on a terrible Leafs team in his rookie season in the NHL. And by all accounts (College coach); Schultz is supposed to be even better.

Last edited by Callhee: 05-25-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added Gardiner #s.
Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:08 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
No different than any highly sought after KHL player. It's still worth a gamble if he wants to sign here. I would pnt trade a 2nd though

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
No different than any highly sought after KHL player. It's still worth a gamble if he wants to sign here. I would pnt trade a 2nd though
Definitely. I never disagreed with that. But some of the posters seem to be ready to declare our offseason a bust if we don't get him and compare him to a Top 3 pick.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:11 PM
natowar

It would be an excellent addition to our defense/prospect core and I'm really hoping for it.

It frees up more flexibility to make a trade that may include Tanev or Edler etc but gives great depth and potential nonetheless. I wouldn't trade anything to the Ducks for his rights, if he wants to sign here he will (see Hamhuis)

natowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:13 PM
natowar

also Jason Garrison is a local guy on the UFA radar who has stated he'd like to play for the home team if they wanted him. (we do Jason) Big mobile young defender that can blast the puck. If Canucks can make a Schultz/Garrison free agent splash I for one will be quite wet.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Not sure he's said he wants to play for Vancouver. And actually I've heard his favorite city is Edmonton. But his parents are big Nuck fans so who knows.

I find it unbelievable that anyone would say Edmonton is their favourite city.

Oilers fans seem to think they have some sort of inside track to sign this kid, because they're a bad team that will give him plenty of ice time that would speed his development. They're forgetting that the Oilers are not only a bad team, they're a bad organization with a long, glorious history of ruining their prospects.

If Schultz wants to be a quality NHL player he'll sign with a quality organization that will develop him properly. That is not Edmonton. He should come to Vancouver.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:46 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
I think the point here is that people are comparing it to getting a Top 3 pick and Schultz really is not at that level. Lots of potential but there are still issues with his game and he will need to adapt to the NHL. I think the Canucks should pursue him but people are definitely overrating him because he happens to be from North Van.
He's from Kelowna.

The hype is more about this being a blue chip prospect that can be signed for relatively cheap. He's not the second coming of Doughty but you can bet he is better than most of the Canucks' prospects at this moment.

Sadly, I believe Edmonton does have the inside track right now. If they trade for his rights it's game over. It's too bad the Canucks are against trading for UFA rights because that is probably the only way they will sign this player and they could use a prospect like him badly.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:49 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post

His favorite team is Vancouver...

NucksOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
He's from Kelowna.

The hype is more about this being a blue chip prospect that can be signed for relatively cheap. He's not the second coming of Doughty but you can bet he is better than most of the Canucks' prospects at this moment.

Sadly, I believe Edmonton does have the inside track right now. If they trade for his rights it's game over. It's too bad the Canucks are against trading for UFA rights because that is probably the only way they will sign this player and they could use a prospect like him badly.
The Canucks can talk to him starting June 1. Doesn't matter if the Oilers trade for him

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 09:56 PM
natowar

The hype is he's a blue chip prospect that can be signed cheap? the hype is he's a hometown guy?

This is Hockey's Future and you're one click away from seeing he's in the top 25 of all prospects list one spot behind Ryan Ellis. There's no prefab hype involved. He's a stud in the making. If you have a chance to sign him without giving anything up you do it at the drop of a hat.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Southern_Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
The Canucks can talk to him starting June 1. Doesn't matter if the Oilers trade for him
Actually, if Anaheim doesn't sign him within 30 days, any team can talk to him starting then (June 25). They just can't sign him until July 1. Those are the CBA rules.

S_C

Southern_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Rod Buskas*

Matt Gilroy 2.0

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:38 PM
King of Anarchy

https://twitter.com/6Schultz6

You guys know what to do from here...

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:40 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
Matt Gilroy 2.0
Not even close, Gilroy went undrafted and was a free agent not by choice. Schultz has been talked about as a great prospect the season after he was drafted, and Anahiem wants to sign him bad.

Gilroy best season was his fourth 8 G 29 A as a 24 year old

Schultz best season was his second 18 G 29 A as a 20 year old

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
https://twitter.com/6Schultz6

You guys know what to do from here...
Quote:
Great lineup on tv tonight. America's got talent followed by the bachelorette.
I all of a sudden don't him on my team anymore.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:01 PM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
It's going to amuse me when Schultz busts.
Lotto numbers please.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:45 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

is this a pat white situation? meaning that if schultz doesn't sign with anaheim and hits UFA that anaheim automatically gets a second rounder?

because if that's true, then any trade for schultz's rights starts with a second rounder (whoever trades for him will get that if they can't sign him) and would need to include another piece. i'm thinking the asking price would be a second rounder, a good but not great prospect or young top six/nine tweener (say, rodin/raymond), and then another pick if he signs (third under normal circumstances, but as high as a first if there's a bidding war).

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:50 PM
erik19

Do the Canucks really want a college dropout?

erik19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:15 AM
metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
is this a pat white situation? meaning that if schultz doesn't sign with anaheim and hits UFA that anaheim automatically gets a second rounder?

because if that's true, then any trade for schultz's rights starts with a second rounder (whoever trades for him will get that if they can't sign him) and would need to include another piece. i'm thinking the asking price would be a second rounder, a good but not great prospect or young top six/nine tweener (say, rodin/raymond), and then another pick if he signs (third under normal circumstances, but as high as a first if there's a bidding war).
No. Compensatory picks are only for first round picks that get a bona fide offer but do not sign before the team loses their rights.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
No. Compensatory picks are only for first round picks that get a bona fide offer but do not sign before the team loses their rights.
And the weird little no-offer-required exception for college players that White fell under, but it still requires that the guy be a first-rounder.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote