HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz de-registers from Winsconsin

Old
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
jammyrft

vCash: 500
2 teams no one seems to be talking about is NYR and Detroit. Both will be gunning for him and both are a lot more appealing than Toronto and Edmonton

Realistically it's anyone's guess at this point

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:41 AM
arsmaster

I dont think Schultz will sign here.

I also think Garrison will sign elsewhere for big money.

I do think Gillis will get a solid return for a goalie, but imagine the tears on this forum if Gillis strikes out on the two BC boy defensman and get a scab return for Luongo (Schenn).

So much drama ahead this offseason.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
When Schultz is weighing the pros and cons I wonder if AV's treatment of Ballard plays into the equation.
You mean the situation where Ballard was a healthy scratch and Chris Tanev (an undrafted rookie) played in his place? Perhaps Schultz looks at the situation and sees an organization committed to playing the players who deserve to play, regardless of how they came to wear a Canuck jersey. When Dan Hamhuis signed with the Canucks, one of the things that appealed to him was the concept that ice time was earned, not given.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajackalit View Post
You mean the situation where Ballard was a healthy scratch and Chris Tanev (an undrafted rookie) played in his place? Perhaps Schultz looks at the situation and sees an organization committed to playing the players who deserve to play, regardless of how they came to wear a Canuck jersey. When Dan Hamhuis signed with the Canucks, one of the things that appealed to him was the concept that ice time was earned, not given.
Like Aaron Rome on the 1st power play unit? Yup, AV is a genius!

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Like Aaron Rome on the 1st power play unit? Yup, AV is a genius!
AV's dream 1st unit PP D combo:

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
2 teams no one seems to be talking about is NYR and Detroit. Both will be gunning for him and both are a lot more appealing than Toronto and Edmonton

Realistically it's anyone's guess at this point
**** I forgot about the Wings. They have a former Badger D-man too don't they?

Man we gotta get Joe LaBate lobbying for Vancouver. We need Schultz to watch 8 Mile and Rent to see that Detroit and New York suck. But under no circumstances can he know that the Canucks are responsible for him seeing Rent, because that is an unforgiveable crime.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:33 PM
crazyforhockey

Talked to his dad today

doesnt know where or what he will do.

he is excited about having a choice right now to go whereever he wants."once in a lifetime choice"

his dad mentioned he has played wit ha few players before

Tor.... gardnier

NYR Stephan and Mcdonagh

Nsh ...Craig smith

also talked about chance to play/opportunity

mentioned canucks ...and he mentioned they are pretty stacked at defence...i said it depends.....salo may or may not come back and that if does they probably want him to play the third pairing and reduced number of games..... and never know with trades ...ie Ballard...said no offence to Ballard but Shultz probably will be a better PMD as well as over tanev ...who he mentioned

about couple of weeks will sit down and narrow it to 5 or 6 teams...

So to me (MY SPECULATION FROM TALKING TO HIS DAD) is that opportunity is key ...I gathered vagualy that maybe because Anh has dropped so badly the last year ..has swayed him possibly from signing---thats my specualtion...maybe also no gardnier either.

so if MG is going to get him ...depends on What MG's veiw of the blueline is ...... trade front etc.....but he would need to convince Schultz of his opportunity to "play" here....not that he would be 7th on the depth chart etc....

Last edited by crazyforhockey: 05-30-2012 at 07:39 PM.
crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
oh well, im hoping you're making all of that up because it doesnt bode well

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
silvercanuck

From the sounds of that Edmonton is out, and Vancouver might be a consideration along with teams that have Wisconsin grads.

I still don't understand why its so hard for people to see a spot open in the top four for him. The Canucks are desperate for a player with his exact attributes. I can understand if he wants to play elsewhere but the open spot should be obvious.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:09 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
From the sounds of that Edmonton is out, and Vancouver might be a consideration along with teams that have Wisconsin grads.

I still don't understand why its so hard for people to see a spot open in the top four for him. The Canucks are desperate for a player with his exact attributes. I can understand if he wants to play elsewhere but the open spot should be obvious.
If he were a proven d-man, I don't think anyone would have a problem slotting him in the top-4, but as it stands, he has never played a professional hockey game. I would be wary of guaranteeing a rookie a spot in the top-4.

What do you do if he doesn't play well in training camp?

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:35 PM
crazyforhockey

I dont think you guarntee him anything ...but you state the obvious of him having a shot at a roster spot....if his skill as good as stated(which it seems) he could move up the depth chart/pairings quickly.And with his ability you can sell the chance of a long playoff run..imo

if a ballard was traded at the draft the possibities are wide open.

wouldnt count out edm...although it didnt come up in conversation...it does make sense in fit.

if there is a spot open for him to fight for and MG exposes the SC potential of this team
and its close for the family to go down and watch games...

question for Van fans is (using jake gardnier on a small sample basis--schultz potentialy better,and better hockey smarts) would jake gardnier potentially make this teams defence this coming year?????

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:44 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
If he were a proven d-man, I don't think anyone would have a problem slotting him in the top-4, but as it stands, he has never played a professional hockey game. I would be wary of guaranteeing a rookie a spot in the top-4.

What do you do if he doesn't play well in training camp?
What do the Leafs And Rangers tell him under that scenario? Does anyone in their right mind think that Randy Carlyle or John Tortorella can or will keep a rookie defenceman in the lineup if he isn't ready? Of course not.

If I'm the Canucks I tell him that we've got a specific need for the type of player he is and an open spot that is perfect for him. If he excels he will be in a position to play with our top players and maximize his future earning potential. But there is no easy ride here. We do think that he is ready to step in but the onus is on him to be a professional and make the NHL.

I would also inform him that teams such as NY and Toronto actually have a logjam of defensemen and no NHL team can realistically guarantee a roster spot - not even a bottom feeder "on the rise". There will be risks attached to where ever he signs. Even if the Oilers do come along and guarantee a spot it may backfire and cost him in the long run. Playing on a bottom feeder team with a poor defense is probably the worst way to develop a player. That could affect his future earning potential as well.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
What do the Leafs And Rangers tell him under that scenario? Does anyone in their right mind think that Randy Carlyle or John Tortorella can or will keep a rookie defenceman in the lineup if he isn't ready? Of course not.

If I'm the Canucks I tell him that we've got a specific need for the type of player he is and an open spot that is perfect for him. If he excels he will be in a position to play with our top players and maximize his future earning potential. But there is no easy ride here. We do think that he is ready to step in but the onus is on him to be a professional and make the NHL.

I would also inform him that teams such as NY and Toronto actually have a logjam of defensemen and no NHL team can realistically guarantee a roster spot - not even a bottom feeder "on the rise". There will be risks attached to where ever he signs. Even if the Oilers do come along and guarantee a spot it may backfire and cost him in the long run. Playing on a bottom feeder team with a poor defense is probably the worst way to develop a player. That could affect his future earning potential as well.
I'm just telling you why there may (should) not be an open slot for him. If he can make the jump, that's great, but if he doesn't, we're left with a huge hole in the top-4 next season, and one that MG will be left scrambling to fill during the season. I can't imagine that being a desirable situation for MG.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
I'm just telling you why there may (should) not be an open slot for him. If he can make the jump, that's great, but if he doesn't, we're left with a huge hole in the top-4 next season, and one that MG will be left scrambling to fill during the season. I can't imagine that being a desirable situation for MG.
Not disagreeing or directing anything at you in my last post...

I think the Canucks are taking a risk no matter what happens. They already have a big hole left from Erhoff and Salo looks like he's losing a step. Potential replacements are hard to come by whether a team has assets to trade or goes the free agent route. IMO Garrison would be a huge risk and Suter is a non starter because there's no way he's coming here. Ditto for a Weber trade.

The one player I see with the potential to fit perfectly on this team is Schultz. I would much rather commit to a younger player with his potential and entry level contract than a late bloomer playing in Florida or Sami Salo at this stage of his career. I think it's a no brainer. If you can convince Schultz that he's got a spot to lose you sign him period. The Canucks would be absolutely stupid not to go after him.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:27 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Not disagreeing or directing anything at you in my last post...

I think the Canucks are taking a risk no matter what happens. They already have a big hole left from Erhoff and Salo looks like he's losing a step. Potential replacements are hard to come by whether a team has assets to trade or goes the free agent route. IMO Garrison would be a huge risk and Suter is a non starter because there's no way he's coming here. Ditto for a Weber trade.

The one player I see with the potential to fit perfectly on this team is Schultz. I would much rather commit to a younger player with his potential and entry level contract than a late bloomer playing in Florida or Sami Salo at this stage of his career. I think it's a no brainer. If you can convince Schultz that he's got a spot to lose you sign him period. The Canucks would be absolutely stupid not to go after him.
What happens if Schultz doesn't prove he's NHL-ready?

Noone is saying the Canucks shouldn't pursue Schultz, but opening up a top-4 spot in hopes that a rookie with zero professional games can come up and take it is being a bit naive.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
What happens if Schultz doesn't prove he's NHL-ready?

Noone is saying the Canucks shouldn't pursue Schultz, but opening up a top-4 spot in hopes that a rookie with zero professional games can come up and take it is being a bit naive.
There's nothing needs to be opened up - that hole is already there. Sign whoever you can (Schultz) and if another opportunity to get a legit top four guy is available - you attempt to sign that player.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:38 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
There's nothing needs to be opened up - that hole is already there. Sign whoever you can (Schultz) and if another opportunity to get a legit top four guy is available - you attempt to sign that player.
The (imaginary) scenario was that Schultz wants a top-4 spot to fight for in training camp as a condition to sign. Signing a legit top-4 guy means that there is no spot to fight for, meaning he may not be as willing to sign here.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
The (imaginary) scenario was that Schultz wants a top-4 spot to fight for in training camp as a condition to sign. Signing a legit top-4 guy means that there is no spot to fight for, meaning he may not be as willing to sign here.
Well once he's signed, what's going to do? Be mad at Gillis for signing say Suter later on?

Only a lottery pick team is going to "hand him a top four spot guaranteed".

Old
05-31-2012, 02:03 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
I don't get this at all. Take a look at the potential UFA class this summer. Who is this legitimate top four guy the Canucks are realistically going to acquire and fit under their cap?

We see the exact same scenario at the beginning of almost every season. The Canucks need a top four defenceman or top six forward. In the time I've followed the team I think they've been able to legitimately fill their pressing need maybe once via free agency. Every other year they've hung their hat on depth, a reclamation project, or a player they think has greater potential. And most often that depth doesn't arrive until months after free agency.

Chances are extremely high that there will be a gaping top four spot open for a right PMD no matter how hard the Canucks try to fill it. Should the Canucks manage to hit a home run trade or hail Mary signing they probably wont worry about being able to offer it to Schultz.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:03 AM
opendoor

One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned is that trading for his rights is likely completely pointless at this juncture because from what I understand, when he signs will affect his compensation.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if he signs while still a draftee, his salary would be capped at the max for 2008 draft picks ($875K + $87.5K signing bonus). If he holds out until he becomes a UFA, he can sign up to the current ELC max which is $925K + $92.5K signing bonus. So over the 2 years of his contract, that's about $110K less in base salary if he signs prior to hitting UFA status.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:12 AM
thenextone

Schultz will do his own homework in picking a team where he gets playing time. That alone will probably exclude the playoff teams (Nyr, van, det).

Edmonton seems like the best choice given the forwards they have on the power play. Should get a lot of easy points and minutes where no one cares if he's in the red the first few seasons.

Only way he picks Vancouver is if he feels he can keep up with the forwards we have and is willing to fight for ice time

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Edmonton seems like the best choice given the forwards they have on the power play. Should get a lot of easy points and minutes where no one cares if he's in the red the first few seasons.
Might depend on who is actually coach of the Oilers. Despite that "talent", the Oilers power play last season stunk (and stunk the year before, so it wasn't just a 'one year aberation').

Old
05-31-2012, 09:18 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Might depend on who is actually coach of the Oilers. Despite that "talent", the Oilers power play last season stunk (and stunk the year before, so it wasn't just a 'one year aberation').
I guess you missed the part where their PP passed ours??

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
I guess you missed the part where their PP passed ours??
doh....that's what you get for skipping your morning coffee...nevermind.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Schultz will do his own homework in picking a team where he gets playing time. That alone will probably exclude the playoff teams (Nyr, van, det).

Only way he picks Vancouver is if he feels he can keep up with the forwards we have and is willing to fight for ice time
If his primary concern were icetime, why leave Anaheim? I agree that Edmonton is a logical choice given their deadly PP and lack of dmen, but Vancouver is by no means a poor alternative given the depth chart of the d-corps and our own deadly PP.

He'll have three years to up his contract value. That's probably a big consideration. But that hardly means he'll exclude playoff teams.

Cocoa Crisp is online now   Reply With Quote