HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Justin Schultz de-registers from Winsconsin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2012, 10:36 AM
  #176
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,277
vCash: 500
It's all just guesswork at this time as to what motivates Schultz.
The one thing we seem to know is that he doesn't want to play for the Ducks. Unless there is something in the background that we don't know about that has soured the relationship and since the money is the same no matter where he signs, we have to assume that the location of the team is a factor. He should have as much opportunity for icetime in Annaheim as anywhere else even with Fowler on the team. My reading of the tea leaves is that he either wants to play in Canada or the Eastern US. I'd think that Canada is probably the safest bet. Beyond that, whether the fact he is friends with Gardiner, whether he likes the team in Edmonton (even though they have no coach) or whether he wants to be close to home in Vancouver are factors in his decision is anyone's guess.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:54 AM
  #177
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
It's all just guesswork at this time as to what motivates Schultz.
The one thing we seem to know is that he doesn't want to play for the Ducks. Unless there is something in the background that we don't know about that has soured the relationship and since the money is the same no matter where he signs, we have to assume that the location of the team is a factor. He should have as much opportunity for icetime in Annaheim as anywhere else even with Fowler on the team. My reading of the tea leaves is that he either wants to play in Canada or the Eastern US. I'd think that Canada is probably the safest bet. Beyond that, whether the fact he is friends with Gardiner, whether he likes the team in Edmonton (even though they have no coach) or whether he wants to be close to home in Vancouver are factors in his decision is anyone's guess.
Knowing Edmonton they might even offer Schultz the opportunity to be a player/coach.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:53 AM
  #178
lawrence
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Someone might have already pointed this out, but on his draft profile back in 2008, he listed the Vancouver Canucks as his favorite hockey team, and apparently, one of his friends, went to the Canucks forum and said that, he played street hockey with him as kids, and he's a huge Canucks fan. They will pretend to be Canucks players. Of course they called his bluff on it and stuff, maybe he's lying, maybe he's not, he didn't sound like someone trying to screw around. But that's what he said. Take it or leave it. But yea, his 2008 NHL.Com draft profile he listed the Vancouver Canucks as his favorite team.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 07:16 AM
  #179
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,170
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I dont think Schultz will sign here.

I also think Garrison will sign elsewhere for big money.

I do think Gillis will get a solid return for a goalie, but imagine the tears on this forum if Gillis strikes out on the two BC boy defensman and get a scab return for Luongo (Schenn).

So much drama ahead this offseason.
Yes, but imagine the delight if we signed one or both of those BC boys while Toronto misses out on goalie free agency and we can tell them to sod off if they come running back now accepting Schenn offers.


Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 06-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
  #180
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Maybe Gillis is waiting on the Schultz signing before he makes a move with Luongo? If Schultz signs, Gillis may more aggressively pursue a forward.

However, I'm wondering if another soft defenseman is what we really need.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 03:57 PM
  #181
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,170
vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Maybe Gillis is waiting on the Schultz signing before he makes a move with Luongo? If Schultz signs, Gillis may more aggressively pursue a forward.

However, I'm wondering if another soft defenseman is what we really need.
We do not have such a luxury, given the likelihood Schneider is waiting to see what happens with Luongo before being signed. I am not convinced both will return and we cannot allow Schneider to reach RFA status.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
  #182
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
We do not have such a luxury, given the likelihood Schneider is waiting to see what happens with Luongo before being signed. I am not convinced both will return and we cannot allow Schneider to reach RFA status.
We can "sign him" without having him officially sign with us. The possibility that Schultz waits for the deal to sign exists as well. The point to take is that the transactions are tied.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
  #183
mrbitterguy
Registered User
 
mrbitterguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: san francisco
Country: Canada
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
Maybe Gillis is waiting on the Schultz signing before he makes a move with Luongo? If Schultz signs, Gillis may more aggressively pursue a forward.

However, I'm wondering if another soft defenseman is what we really need.
pretty sure that's not going to be the plan because the draft happens 3 days before the clock hits midnight on schultz's anaheim contract. have to think that luongo (or schneider if if comes to that) gets moved before or during the draft, it's the most logical time to get your return for him.

also, would bet money that schneider is resigned before luongo is traded.

gillis has said that over the next couple weeks the team will be having their scouting meetings and that will determine who/what they want for a return on a goalie trade. basically we have another 2-3 weeks of nothing concrete to talk endlessly about.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:38 AM
  #184
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 18,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
also, would bet money that schneider is resigned before luongo is traded.
Nonis isn't exactly known as a "riverboat gambler" and even he traded for Luongo not long after re-signing Cloutier (temporarily leaving the Canucks with about $10 million in cap space for two goalies back when the cap was *significantly lower*) - so it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 08:30 AM
  #185
Potatoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
It's all just guesswork at this time as to what motivates Schultz.
The one thing we seem to know is that he doesn't want to play for the Ducks. Unless there is something in the background that we don't know about that has soured the relationship and since the money is the same no matter where he signs, we have to assume that the location of the team is a factor. He should have as much opportunity for icetime in Annaheim as anywhere else even with Fowler on the team. My reading of the tea leaves is that he either wants to play in Canada or the Eastern US. I'd think that Canada is probably the safest bet. Beyond that, whether the fact he is friends with Gardiner, whether he likes the team in Edmonton (even though they have no coach) or whether he wants to be close to home in Vancouver are factors in his decision is anyone's guess.

Schultz gave up quite a bit of money to become an URFA, I'm sure he and Gardner are good friends but I don't think "wanting to play with a buddy" would be enough of a motivator to give up a couple hundred K and a shorter entry level deal.

There had to be something about Anaheim that turned him off, either that or he really just want's to explore every option and was willing to sacrifice financially to do so. This isn't about playing with Gardner though, although I don't doubt their relationship will help the Leafs with their sales pitch.


Last edited by Potatoe1: 06-02-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Potatoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 10:55 AM
  #186
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Schultz gave up quite a bit of money to become an URFA, I'm sure he and Gardner are good friends but I don't think "wanting to play with a buddy" would be enough of a motivator to give up a couple hundred K and a shorter entry level deal.

There had to be something about Anaheim that turned him off, either that or he really just want's to explore every option and was willing to sacrifice financially to do so. This isn't about playing with Gardner though, although I don't doubt their relationship will help the Leafs with their sales pitch.
Probably. He doesn't want to turn into Kyle Turris 2.0

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:14 PM
  #187
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
Schultz gave up quite a bit of money to become an URFA, I'm sure he and Gardner are good friends but I don't think "wanting to play with a buddy" would be enough of a motivator to give up a couple hundred K and a shorter entry level deal.

There had to be something about Anaheim that turned him off, either that or he really just want's to explore every option and was willing to sacrifice financially to do so. This isn't about playing with Gardner though, although I don't doubt their relationship will help the Leafs with their sales pitch.
I don't really see how he made any kind of big financial sacrifice. His ELC will end a year later, but that will be mitigated by a higher salary (he's no longer bound by the 2008 draft max and only by the ELC max), more security, and the ability to choose his destination.

He'll probably take a bit of a hit in 13-14 due to his choice, but I'd also argue he stands a better shot at getting a great RFA contract with 2 years to establish himself as opposed to only 1 so his earnings in 14-15 could be higher than they otherwise would be. And since his choice has no effect on when he reaches Group 3 UFA status I don't think it'll be of any consequence in the long run.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.