HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Leafs Summer Strategy May Start with Schultz" now officially a UFA to be.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2012, 12:20 AM
  #1
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
"Leafs Summer Strategy May Start with Schultz" now officially a UFA to be.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-...ultz/120/44509

Quote:
Burke has a history of reacquiring players he drafted, having already obtained Gardiner and Nicolas Deschamps from his last draft in Anaheim.

One positive in Toronto's favor is that Gardiner and Schultz are close friends from their days at Wisconsin and have discussed the possibility of being teammates again.

“We’d always talked about playing together someday in the NHL” Gardiner said in an interview last November. “Right now it’s not going to happen. Hopefully someday down the road.”

Unlike any of the big trade scenarios that potentially could happen at or after the NHL draft in late June, the acquisition of Schultz will depend on who offers the most money and the best chance at playing time.
well...i can only assume that players like Schenn, Dion, Komi, or Franson will have to go to make room for this "talented player" who demands playing time.

what do you think of Schultz? could we live with out some of our players on right defense to make room for him?


Last edited by ULF_55: 05-20-2012 at 08:33 AM.
ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:24 AM
  #2
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-...ultz/120/44509



well...i can only assume that players like Schenn, Dion, Komi, or Franson will have to go to make room for this "talented player" who demands playing time.

what do you think of Schultz? could we live with out some of our players on right defense to make room for him?
i doubt anyone offers less than the max anyways ....

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:24 AM
  #3
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
He'd be a tremendous coup. But only 4% of free wallet UFA's play 100 NHL games, so he's a needle in the haystack at best.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:25 AM
  #4
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-...ultz/120/44509



well...i can only assume that players like Schenn, Dion, Komi, or Franson will have to go to make room for this "talented player" who demands playing time.

what do you think of Schultz? could we live with out some of our players on right defense to make room for him?
I think everyone is going to want to add him , however the players that would be moved to make room are Komisarek and or Franson.Komi being the first choice . Komi has a negative value in a trade scenerio many would assume and has a NMC . So based on that ,Franson would be your odd man out. I personaly like him but he was a healthy scratch throughout the season and didnt ever seem to get comfortable and fit in well..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
  #5
emackulate
Registered User
 
emackulate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
He'd be a tremendous coup. But only 4% of free wallet UFA's play 100 NHL games, so he's a needle in the haystack at best.
not really a UFA. he was drafted in the second round and would have been playing for the ducks but chose to stay in school.

emackulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
  #6
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
He'd be a tremendous coup. But only 4% of free wallet UFA's play 100 NHL games, so he's a needle in the haystack at best.
he's a top prospect ... not your typical "free wallet"

he was regarded as better than Gardiner by both Ducks and Leafs management

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:34 AM
  #7
Hurt
Registered User
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
he's a top prospect ... not your typical "free wallet"

he was regarded as better than Gardiner by both Ducks and Leafs management
It's sad that the Ducks won't be able to capitalize on his skill because I do like their organization but if it benefits Toronto.. I'd prefer that more.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:35 AM
  #8
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
It's sad that the Ducks won't be able to capitalize on his skill because I do like their organization but if it benefits Toronto.. I'd prefer that more.
in all fairness i could care less about the ducks ... as long as we benefit im happy ...

but yea, it does suck for them lol

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:50 AM
  #9
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 60,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODSY28 View Post
I think everyone is going to want to add him , however the players that would be moved to make room are Komisarek and or Franson.Komi being the first choice . Komi has a negative value in a trade scenerio many would assume and has a NMC . So based on that ,Franson would be your odd man out. I personaly like him but he was a healthy scratch throughout the season and didnt ever seem to get comfortable and fit in well..
Doesn't matter if Franson is the odd man out because he is already the odd man out as #7 dman on the Leafs.

Leafs already have Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Schenn, Komisarek, and Liles under contract for next year and if Schultz wants playing time with his pal Gardiner in the NHL than someone else must also go.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:50 AM
  #10
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
in all fairness i could care less about the ducks ... as long as we benefit im happy ...

but yea, it does suck for them lol
So you care? Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

The term "free wallet" has typically applied to undrafted college or European players (Bozak, Gus, Brenner, Hanson, etc) and not former 2nd round draft picks.

Schultz would be a fantastic pick-up. Facilitate the process and give up Holzer for his rights. From all I've read about JS, he's going to be a gem.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:54 AM
  #11
Hurt
Registered User
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Doesn't matter if Franson is the odd man out because he is already the odd man out as #7 dman on the Leafs.

Leafs already have Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Schenn, Komisarek, and Liles under contract for next year and if Schultz wants playing time with his pal Gardiner in the NHL than someone else must also go.
Franson and Komisarek out, Schultz in? That would be ideal, but we are Leafs fans so we have to temper our expectations.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:58 AM
  #12
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 60,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Franson and Komisarek out, Schultz in? That would be ideal, but we are Leafs fans so we have to temper our expectations.
Is Burke going to commit and promise Schultz a full time NHL job and be willing to dump 2 Dmen to make it happen?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:02 AM
  #13
Hurt
Registered User
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Is Burke going to commit and promise Schultz a full time NHL job and be willing to dump 2 Dmen to make it happen?
The way I see it, Komisarek isn't a huge loss, Franson albeit young and smooth (at times) wouldn't hurt a TON. We have to remember that as a bottom 5 team in the league and missing the playoffs for oh so long, these changes aren't going to be crippling. If for some reason Schultz doesn't work out, Holzer and Blacker are in the AHL but especially Holzer who could very easily slot in already.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:03 AM
  #14
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Is Burke going to commit and promise Schultz a full time NHL job and be willing to dump 2 Dmen to make it happen?
MacArthur + Franson for forward upgrade
Komisarek for whatever

very possible

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:04 AM
  #15
HocKEyFrEaK99
Registered User
 
HocKEyFrEaK99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
i hope franson remains, big guy, was becoming very good in nashville under a system similar to what carlyle will bring. addind schultz would be great for sure.

HocKEyFrEaK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:23 AM
  #16
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Schennanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Etobicoke, on
Posts: 6,010
vCash: 500
If Schultz wants money and playtime, me thinks Edmonton would be a good fit for him.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:49 AM
  #17
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 500
So let me get thi straight:

Schultz will sign with the team
That gives the best combo of money and playing time?

Once again, a quality thread from the OP. cup67 where ya'at


Last edited by jmart21: 05-20-2012 at 01:56 AM.
jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:26 AM
  #18
Persuasion
Keep Kulie
 
Persuasion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Lol hockeybuzz is a 'news article'.

Schultz is signing his ELC so his pay will be max (875K?) where ever he goes. How ever the cap hit could differentiate from team to team depending on the bonuses they stack on (I think Stamkos had the max cap hit at 3.75M, but his salary was 875K).

Knowing Burke and his loyalties I can see him sending some sort of compensation to Anaheim just like he did with Pittsburgh on the Skoula/Peluso trades if Burke can sign Schultz. Maybe a 5th for a no name prospect.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:01 AM
  #19
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Schultz in, Schenn out for JVR.

Komo and a 4th to NYI for Marty Reasoner (and buy out Reasoner).

Franson, Bozak, Scrivens and a conditional pick for Jordan Staal.

Not a bad start to the summer.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:09 AM
  #20
CodeBlue*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Schultz in, Schenn out for JVR.

Komo and a 4th to NYI for Marty Reasoner (and buy out Reasoner).


Franson, Bozak, Scrivens and a conditional pick for Jordan Staal.


Not a bad start to the summer.

You've been playing too much NHL 12.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:13 AM
  #21
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
You've been playing too much NHL 12.
I've never played a single NHL "12" game in my life.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:20 AM
  #22
CodeBlue*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I've never played a single NHL "12" game in my life.
If that's true, then I'm intrigued as to how you thought that deal would ever be possible.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:36 AM
  #23
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
If that's true, then I'm intrigued as to how you thought that deal would ever be possible.
Give a little here. Give a little there. Define the "conditional pick". It's not hard.

It's also nothing to take seriously. Much like any trade proposal.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:15 AM
  #24
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 22,239
vCash: 500
Well he has to sign an ELC so money shouldn't be an issue for teams. Playing time might be though.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:19 AM
  #25
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,528
vCash: 500
First of all its a blog not an article. Second it's pretty much expected we are going after him.

If he comes here, franson becomes more expendable as he hasn't exactly lived up to our expectation. Schenn possible moved for that Philly Deal?

Should mention I still don't want to move Schener.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.