HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reaction to the Darryl Sutter Hiring

Old
05-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Reaction to the Darryl Sutter Hiring

Thought it would be funny to look back and read comments and reactions from when the Kings fired Terry Murray, Darryl Sutter's name was rumored as a favorite to become head coach, and the eventual announcement of Sutter taking over the Kings.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1053873
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1053239

The comments said by some of the players he coached in Chicago back in 1995 is a testament to his coaching abilities.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...r-family-hawks
Quote:
Darryl Sutter was the Blackhawks' coach for only three years. But he leaves behind a legacy of a strong defensive coach who got the most out of his talent.

"He should look back on his career as a coach and be very proud," said Steve Smith, a seasoned veteran who was on three Stanley Cup championship teams with the Edmonton Oilers. "There's no doubt that Darryl Sutter was one of the hardest-working coaches I've ever seen."

Said Eric Weinrich, another Hawks defenseman who had a strong season and playoffs under Sutter:"He was a good tactician who always had us pretty well prepared for different opponents. I think he put together one of the best, if not the best, defensive systems in the league . . . with in-your-face forechecking and getting us to get the jump right at the start."

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I was not happy with the hiring of Sutter, but easily admit that I was wrong.

I always believed in the roster, minus Johnson. I always wanted to see this roster with any coach but Murray. I got my wish and the Kings are now 5 wins away from skating with the Stanley Cup. It was not an easy ride, but Sutter's scouting trip to Manchester during the all star break was probably the turning point. He got Lombardi to call up King and Nolan and the rest is history.

5 wins and Lombardi's and Sutter's legacies are complete. Kings would also always be known as the first 8th seed to win a Stanley Cup. They would have finally proven that just making the playoffs gives you chance to win the ultimate prize.

What I wrote on December 21st:
Quote:
Getting rid of Murray is a good move. I don't agree with the hiring of Sutter, but he has done more with less than Murray. The roster is good enough to finish as a top 10 offense and defense, they just need the push to get there. Murray was never going to get it, I think Sutter can.

If the Kings improve on offense and just miss the playoffs, I think AEG will give them another year. If they finish well out of the playoffs and finish close to 30th in offense, AEG may dismiss everyone.

I'm excited to see this team with a strong coach. On paper, this could be one of the strongest lineups that Sutter has coached.

I like that Sutter has already put speed on each of the top three lines. Richardson and Lewis get a new lease in life and it is up to them to seize the opportunity. Sutter will demand effort form everyone, he won't play favorites. This is something the Kings need.

Looks like Sutter is excited to be back coaching. Getting one more goal from them per game shouldn't take a drastic change of the X's and O's. Just some tweaks to the forechecking and better positioning in the offensive zone. Sutter will get more effort from the team than Murray was ever able too. Whether that translates to more offense remains to be seen.

Go Kings Go!

I was alluding to their win/loss record since hiring Hitchcock.

Scoring has been the biggest concern, but I'm willing to give Sutter the rest of the season to see what he can do to get more from the roster. I still believe in the roster.

I will never long for the Murray days. Some of the most boring hockey I've seen from the Kings.

Last edited by Sydor25: 05-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:34 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Uhhh, I guess you could say I didn't like the hire

Quote:
I'm NOT on board with this move at all. I just see this as a lateral move. I guess I should have known better then to expect Dean to go after anything other than a defensive minded, grind it out, win or lose 2-1 coach. Dean needs to take a long hard look at the roster that HE put together and realize that this team is not currently built to have success with that style. If the hire officially happens I'll do my best to approach things with an open mind, but if this looks like the same team after another 20-25 games, Lombardi better start packing his bags.
Would white or red wine go best with my plate of crow?

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:01 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Hearing that Sutter plans on using Murray's system is disappointing, but it will be interesting to see what kind of results he can get from that system.

The Kings have by far the lowest shooting percentage in the NHL at 6.9%. If Darryl encourages the team to look for better shooting opportunities instead of throwing everything at the net like Terry wanted, the offensive could improve substantially IMO.
^ I think that's my only comment from that thread.

I was opposed to the hiring of Sutter, but he has obviously proven me wrong.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:04 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
I'm not changing my custom user title for at least 5 more wins.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What's funny to me is that so many had the false pretense that Sutter would employ a similar system to Terry Murray's suffocating and stifling tactics, when he's done the complete opposite. This team shows so much more emotion (and composure) under Sutter.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:20 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

That plate of crow is minimal for you guys.

I want to hear it from those that were really negative about Sutter.

Don't recall who that might be but it would be more fun to read their thoughts now.

There must have been a bunch of them for certain. (bunch= more than two)

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Can I just say that this Flames' fan nailed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
From an outsider's view looking in, and one that is pretty familiar with Darryl Sutter... I think it is a great move.

Darryl's biggest flaw is that he is absolutely HORRID with the media. They ate him alive in Calgary (and he doesn't hide the fact that he hates media). The continually ridiculed him.

His body of work really speaks for itself - he turned the Calgary Flames around. Sure, there was that 72 hour 'craziness' of trades, but that was from a GM perspective (and he had been exceptionally solid until that point).

Darryl as a coach - he will make all the players accountable. Just look at what he did with the Flames in the early 2000's. Years of bad coaching, poor player development, poor drafting... there was nothing to cheer about on the Flames except Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr. They didn't play as a unit. They didn't play a decent 'system'. Most importantly, they didn't play HARD.

Sutter came in, and changed the culture of the Flames. He FORCED everyone to buy in. You didn't buy in, you didn't play. Heck - he benched Jarome during some games. I remember Conroy laughing about it as they were talking about Darryl. Something along the lines of "Don't you two princesses worry about going back out there and chipping a nail. You guys are done for the night."

Seems like to me, LA is a very good team, and probably needs a 'tough as nails' coach. The players tuned out TM, sure.. but there are 2 reasons they can't tune out Darryl:

1) Just try. Really. He WILL force them to remain responsible.
2) LA just did a coaching change. Players know the next step is trades. You don't replace a coach twice in the same year.

As for Darryl stifling offence - I wouldn't worry about it. Darryl has a huge eye for talent. He puts players in positions to succeed. He pushes players. He makes players accountable to one another. He WILL make LA a team that is difficult to play against, and that will generate some additional offence. He doesn't play the trap. He demands work ethic. If you are lazy, you simply don't play. It is that simple with Darryl.

I am really happy to hear Darryl is in LA. Always thought he was a phenomenal coach. Expect him to have 'run-ins' with the media during the rough patches - he simply is just so poorly spoken. People will call him stuff like "Stupid farmer", "idiot", etc., but he is actually quite intelligent.

I really can't think of a better fit for LA right now. Sure, he is 'recycled' and 'old-school', but he is one of those coaches that should never have stopped coaching to begin with.

I am sure the first couple of weeks will still be 'rough' for LA, but in a month, I bet you are going to see a much, much better LA Kings skating hard every shift.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Another Flames' fan with great foresight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA View Post
As a Flames fan, I really do think you guys are going to look back on this thread in May and thank your lucky stars that Lombardi went out and grabbed Sutter. Just based on what I've read about your Kings this year it seems like laziness and no-buy in have been real issues (along with the offensive woes);... I'd expect those former two to change in a hurry. As many of the Flames fans mentioned, Sutter was constantly holding Iginla and Regehr accountable (which calling them out) during his tenure here and they took huge strides when he was behind the bench. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he convinced your core players to do the same.

As an aside, Mike Richards screams Darryl Sutter player to me. In fact, Sutter made it known (after the draft was completed) that he was going to take Richards during the 2003 draft if Phaneuf wasn't available at 9. I think Richards ended up going 24th or something like that.... shows you what he thought of the guy at the time.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:21 PM
tantrum4*

Ahem:

Quote:
Tantrum4: See. EVERY Flames player of fan I've heard talk about Sutter seems to love him as a coach. But most Kings fans have their pack mentality and as soon as they hear one person say something bad about a certain player or coach, everyone jumps on board. I can't wait until we finish first in our division this year and you all eat crow.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
HeadInjury

I read the first half dozen pages of the DS hiring thread and was shocked to see that the most level headed and accurate assessment of DS' hire came from TG.

Ok, I wasn't shocked. He the best poster on this board for a reason.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Ahem:
I must have missed them finishing first in their division.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:48 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
What's funny to me is that so many had the false pretense that Sutter would employ a similar system to Terry Murray's suffocating and stifling tactics, when he's done the complete opposite. This team shows so much more emotion (and composure) under Sutter.
I think I thought this because he said something in the press conference about "not changing a lot". Maybe not that word for word, but that was what I took from it. Obviously, I misunderstood.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I must have missed them finishing first in their division.
One game away my friend I think I was still closer than where 90% of the posters on here thought we would end up

Old
05-19-2012, 06:02 PM
johnjm22

I can't understand why Flames fans said Sutter was so bad with the media. The Canadien media must not be able to take a joke. I think Sutter's interactions with the reporters are hilarious.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
I can't understand why Flames fans said Sutter was so bad with the media. The Canadien media must not be able to take a joke. I think Sutter's interactions with the reporters are hilarious.
My friends and I make it a point to watch his post game interviews, and you get yelled at if you talk when Sutter's talking.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:08 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
It was just with the Calgary media. They raked him through the coals pretty bad when he was the GM there and he still hasn't forgiven them. Just go read his quotes after his first game there with the Kings for proof. He didn't give them much at all.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I find the Canadian members of the media tend to think of themselves as leading authorities in hockey knowledge and judgement and also tend to be confrontational. They are like that in other big hockey markets as well like Philadelphia and New York. They're very judgmental critics who think they know it all and have all the answers, more so than the coaches and management.

Sure, fans have this tendency as well, but I think they feed off of the material that is published, hence the bad press that Carter and Richards were receiving, and Sutter being blamed for tearing the Flames apart, and other nonsense that we've seen from Montreal and Toronto and pretty much any other Canadian city. And that is something that will never change.

I know a lot of fans here reacted negatively at the first mention of Sutter's name when he was rumored to be the leading candidate to take over this team, but he has a damn good coaching record and left on his own accord twice, with his only firing coming in San Jose, and that was not something Dean Lombardi wanted to do (and he was let go as Sharks GM soon thereafter). It's funny now that some Sharks fans see what the Lombardi/Sutter combo is doing in LA.

Old
05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Nex06

Already with these kind of threads? I'm fine with that...

On whether Sutter is the right fit for the Kings (when he wasn't coaching yet) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Many have mentioned already, but I just want emphasize one thing. Those who oppose DS are mostly saying that Kings need something different when hiring a new coach, and DS cares defense just as much as TM does. However in this moment it's not about Offense vs. Defense. Sutter WILL be opposite of Murray when it comes to coaching style, he is emotionally different. So both are correct, those who say that Kings need something different and those who support Sutter. Sutter is a change, it's not "more of the same" as few have said.
On people expecting him to be a yelling coach, whipping the players after a missed shot during a drill:

Quote:
As for fear of Sutter's relationship with the players - correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sutter just a tough, very demanding and straightforward (when it comes to evaluating player's performance) coach? As far as I know he is not in same boat with Carlyle and Crawford, who can be just rude and disrespectful too often?

If so, I don't see any problems with the players. I think you are giving too little credit when it comes to players' determination. At this point I think they will be glad to hear any kind of criticism and new ideas how to reach their potential and start winning.

Quote:
Yeah, that would look pretty dramatic and I'm sure it would make a good movie, but I don't expect any such things to happen. It would almost suggest that players are lazy and they just need some puck handling drills, which is far from truth. Players need to get their heads sorted out and to be convinced they are winners again. By keeping them hungry and sleep deprived Sutter would not achieve that.
Quote:
I believe that Sutter will tell each player what he expects them to do in next game, without talking about past games at all. He doesn't care what happened before, he cares that players don't float under his reign. After first game is finished, then he will start with his individual... analysis, for each player, from Westgarth to Kopitar. I'd love to hear that on youtube, but I guess it's best that what is said in locker room stays in locker room.
On taking Kopitar off penalty kill (that was couple of days later):
Quote:
I understand the reason, but I think that is not possible, at least not right now. Kopitar out, Richards out, who is then left to play PK? The only solution is to take less penalties.
Even if Sutter said he would like to see Kopitar playing less SH minutes, I just didn't see it happening.

So yeah, I can say that nothing has really surprised me, right? Feels good to be right. Unless you are PSP, Johnny Utah etc.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:40 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Demonstrates why damacles is one of the best and most level headed posters on this board.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

I didn't have many thoughts of it. I just wanted Murray canned.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:34 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

My initial thoughts were:

Well, DSut is a step above TM in my opinion only in that he can coach on the fly. He is a D first guy but, he is smart enough to bring in assts that are or can be gifted O schemers. Is he our guy? I will hold out hope but he isn't the one coach that I would have hired.

To me this comes down to the length and terms of the deal. If he is a one season wonder then whatever but if he hand him the keys to the kingdom with a 3yr deal then he and DL will be chained together in my mind.

Win and you got a job, lose and its bye bye bye.

I think he has proven himself to be able to coach on the fly, preaches a balanced D first system and while I still disagree with his keeping our existing asst coaches you can't argue with the results.

He certainly has done his job right for us.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Except for keeping the PP coach.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:16 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Except for keeping the PP coach.
One step at a time man, one step at a time.

Even on an epic post season run like we have had up to date I can't imagine anyone out there is calling him a genius right about now.

Here is to hoping he just leaves on his own after the playoffs.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Nex06

Kompon will not get fired after this season.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote