HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Radio discussion (ESPN1050 moving to 98.7)

Old
02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
SAvery16*

vCash: 500
Radio discussion (ESPN1050 moving to 98.7)

I watch all sports (football, basketball, baseball) and root for my Yanks, Jets, and Knicks but Rangers hockey will always be my first love.

I don't live in NY anymore, but am I sales rep here in Baltimore (in my car ALL DAY). I got ESPN 1050 and WFAN apps on my iphone, and noticed there is very little Rangers discussion.

The DC sports shows talk plenty of Caps hockey, and they don't have anywhere close to the following that the Rangers do (lets not forget Islanders and Devils are in town too).

This Mike Franchesca guy NEVER talks Rangers hockey, except for once when he had Hank on his show after the winter classic--where he admitted to Hank that he didn't care enough to even watch (if I was Hank I would have hung up on him after that!)

What gives? If we aren't the talk of the town now, when will we ever be?

SAvery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

When we get to the finals. I listened to the interview with Hank too. Mike came off as a d-bag more than anything.
For now, it's all about Linsanity.
That is, until the Knicks go 1 more year without a playoff win.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's because none of them know anything about hockey.
Boomer is a fan and so is Benigno, but they don't know crap when it comes to the technical aspects of the sport and probably don't know much about the rest of the league. Steve Somers talks about the Rangers, but since he's on in the evening, I never really listen to him to know how much.

They (Francesa) also make the claim that hockey doesn't give them ratings so they don't talk about it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Rykerman

I'm a big francesa fan, and although he never talks hockey, he's honest about it and admits he doesn't know the sport that well, yet welcomes anyone to call in and talk hockey. But that rarely happens. If more people called to discuss the rangers, he would make it a bigger part of the show.

Rykerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
MSG the place to be*

"After the break, we'll take calls about what the line combinations should be. Stay tuned."

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
SAvery16*

[QUOTE=DubiSnacks17;44071067]It's because none of them know anything about hockey.
Boomer is a fan and so is Benigno, but they don't know crap when it comes to the technical aspects of the sport and probably don't know much about the rest of the league. Steve Somers talks about the Rangers, but since he's on in the evening, I never really listen to him to know how much.

They (Francesa) also make the claim that hockey doesn't give them ratings so they don't talk about it.[/QUOTE]

How? There are 3 local hockey teams with a passionate fanbase.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Because they're ratings will go down if they talk about hockey.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

I think most of the sports stations don't follow or talk about hockey because it's not that popular with alot of the minorities and NYC is very mixed (Spanish, black, asians etc). Its the best sport in the world and the most skilled...why don't alot of blacks or spanish people like hockey??? It doesn't make sense to me..or maybe the names are to hard to pronounce..I can't figure it out either...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAvery16 View Post
How? There are 3 local hockey teams with a passionate fanbase.
Francesa has said multiple times in the past that he doesn't discuss hockey often because hockey doesn't attract ratings. Apparently discussing the Yankees/Mets pitching rotation in the middle of December gets better ratings...

Old
02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I know Boomer is a big Rangers fan. Carton just happens to be an idiot.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAvery16 View Post
Why don't any of the NY radio shows talk Rangers hockey?
Ratings.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Francesa has said multiple times in the past that he doesn't discuss hockey often because hockey doesn't attract ratings. Apparently discussing the Yankees/Mets pitching rotation in the middle of December gets better ratings...
Sadly, it does.

But I think that's crap that hockey doesn't attract ratings at all. Maybe if you have a national show like Mike and Mike or The Herd then you don't talk hockey, but in NY where you have the best team in the league, the best Rangers team since '94, I find it hard to believe there aren't a lot of people not willing to call and talk/listen about hockey.

But the problem with that is that even though there are tons of passionate Ranger fans, the hosts of all the major shows don't really know much about hockey. Outside of Don LaGreca, Steve Somers, and Boomer the other guys like Ruocco & Lundberg and Benigno and Roberts don't know much about the sport. But if you listen to Benigno and Roberts they do make attempts to talk hockey.

edit: Also, people who drive around a lot during the day or listen to sports talk radio during the day aren't going to turn their radio off if shows are talking about hockey. For christs sake there are two sports radio stations in NY- there isn't like 10 where they all have to worry about their ratings.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
But the problem with that is that even though there are tons of passionate Ranger fans, the hosts of all the major shows don't really know much about hockey. Outside of Don LaGreca, Steve Somers, and Boomer the other guys like Ruocco & Lundberg and Benigno and Roberts don't know much about the sport. But if you listen to Benigno and Roberts they do make attempts to talk hockey.
I wouldn't put Boomer on that tier either. He may be a fan, but whenever I hear him discuss hockey he sounds more like a fan than an analyst.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Aside from hockey's lack of popularity, It also has to do with the fact that NY has a trillion teams, a lot of which are successful or competitive.

Let's compare to Washington.

Washington's one NFL team is horrendous in the Redskins, but they still get a lot of attention. Imagine if Washington had another NFL team, the second of which being the reigning Super Bowl champions.

Now imagine if the Nats had a little more history, and had a recent dynasty. Now add another lesser competitive MLB team.

Now add another more competitive NBA team with a suddenly sensation player with the potential for super star status.

NOW add two more hockey teams to the NHL picture in addition to the Capitals.

Suddenly, the Caps ain't the talk of the town anymore. The #1 thing I hate about New York is that there are no unifying teams. I'd rather have 1 team from every sport honestly.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Evan Roberts talked hockey today. No it wasn't for 2 minutes. lol

He allowed calls for a couple of hours.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I wouldn't put Boomer on that tier either. He may be a fan, but whenever I hear him discuss hockey he sounds more like a fan than an analyst.
True. I haven't really listened to his show because I can't stand Carton, I just knew he was a huge NYR fan.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
True. I haven't really listened to his show because I can't stand Carton, I just knew he was a huge NYR fan.
Boomer goes to and watches all the games but I wouldn't say his knowledge of the league or the team is very strong.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
For Your Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Aside from hockey's lack of popularity, It also has to do with the fact that NY has a trillion teams, a lot of which are successful or competitive.

Let's compare to Washington.

Washington's one NFL team is horrendous in the Redskins, but they still get a lot of attention. Imagine if Washington had another NFL team, the second of which being the reigning Super Bowl champions.

Now imagine if the Nats had a little more history, and had a recent dynasty. Now add another lesser competitive MLB team.

Now add another more competitive NBA team with a suddenly sensation player with the potential for super star status.

NOW add two more hockey teams to the NHL picture in addition to the Capitals.

Suddenly, the Caps ain't the talk of the town anymore. The #1 thing I hate about New York is that there are no unifying teams. I'd rather have 1 team from every sport honestly.
I'm sure you understand why there isn't any unifying teams. This is more than a one-dimensional subject.

For Your Technology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
No one cares about hockey, Boomer.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:19 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
No one cares about hockey, Boomer.
Bingo. Carton shuts him down whenever he tries to talk about the Rangers.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Giacomin

As a Rangers fan when the team is not good it seems like nobody talks hockey. There is definitely more of a buzz this year especially by looking at the Tickets for sale section as usually the sellers outnumber the buyers but not so this year. I thought after the Super Bowl the Rangers might get more attention but #17 for the Knicks has just taken over where Eli left off and is the talk of NYC not King Henrik

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
SAvery16*

Actually some caller just called out Mike F for not talking Rangers (mb my thread had something to do with it)

Mike's argument made no sense; He said hockey is a playoff sport, and that its not worth covering until the Rangers are good in the postseason.

Ummmmm..... Doesn't every major sport have playoffs? I guess I am an idiot when I throw away hundreds of dollars to see regular season hockey games.

Don't see how talking about the Rangers the eve before the Bruin game will produce bad ratings. Just because Hockey is the 4th sport in NY doesn't mean that fans don't care. When I lived in Philly, the sports stations talked plenty about the Flyers.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I know Boomer is a big Rangers fan. Carton just happens to be an idiot.
Carton likes sports for MEN, played by MEN.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Crease

You can't "fake" a hockey discussion.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Carton likes sports for MEN, played by MEN.
So he must hate baseball.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote