HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Lol radulov will be public enemy #1 around here 5 games in a nd he'll be in torts' doghouse from day one guy plays next to no defense and doesn't backcheck for ****, typical nonchalant skate back down the ice after a turnover throw a ******** check or a pokecheck and head to the bench waiting for the next offensive oppurtunity, that's not how torts rolls he likes defense first that's the exact opposite of radulov.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:18 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
They were eating at a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol.
Ok. Fine. Believe what you like. I will do th same.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Lol radulov will be public enemy #1 around here 5 games in a nd he'll be in torts' doghouse from day one guy plays next to no defense and doesn't backcheck for ****, typical nonchalant skate back down the ice after a turnover throw a ******** check or a pokecheck and head to the bench waiting for the next offensive oppurtunity, that's not how torts rolls he likes defense first that's the exact opposite of radulov.
This post, combined with the previous posts about floating, make me wonder how much any of you have actually watched the guy play. I only missed one or two games he played in this post season. He had a rough game 2 against Phoenix. Other than than, he was just fine.

For example, in direct response to that post, I would just say that the guy is a master at controlling the puck at the forecheck and does a far better job at getting the puck directed towards the net than anyone we have on this team. Great forechecking is right up Tortorella's alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Ok. Fine. Believe what you like. I will do th same.
What I believe happens to have been confirmed by Sports Illustrated, but we can move on. In fact, we should just move on from the Radulov topic completely. I'm sorry I brought it up, thinking I'd get objective and interesting responses.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:27 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm not going to talk about Gaborik again, but i'd take Radulov in a heartbeat....IF there weren't questions about his character.

I think all this floater ******** is stupid, anyway. Keep taking shots at guys like Gabby when he was still one of our only offensive threats. Radulov is a talented guy. But I don't know how he'd fit in this locker room. He'd give this team a MUCH needed infusion of skill, probably on the 2nd line (I want Kreids with Gabby and Richie, i'd put Radulov with Steps and Cally.)

Again, though. Not sure about any character issues. Not just talking about the restaurant thing, which even if it was not some crazy party is still a questionable move by him, but to leave the NHL for so long...I don't know. Plus the games I watched him he was acting like he was a superstar even though he hadn't proved it yet.

I'm more for the move than most people, probably, but i'm still not sold completely.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm not going to talk about Gaborik again, but i'd take Radulov in a heartbeat....IF there weren't questions about his character.

I think all this floater ******** is stupid, anyway. Keep taking shots at guys like Gabby when he was still one of our only offensive threats. Radulov is a talented guy. But I don't know how he'd fit in this locker room. He'd give this team a MUCH needed infusion of skill, probably on the 2nd line (I want Kreids with Gabby and Richie, i'd put Radulov with Steps and Cally.)

Again, though. Not sure about any character issues. Not just talking about the restaurant thing, which even if it was not some crazy party is still a questionable move by him, but to leave the NHL for so long...I don't know. Plus the games I watched him he was acting like he was a superstar even though he hadn't proved it yet.

I'm more for the move than most people, probably, but i'm still not sold completely.
I don't think there are character issues, but what I do think is that he isn't as good as people are saying he is. If a team that is deprived of offensive talent is looking to let him go, why should we look into picking him up? Wouldn't it be a Zherdev like situation? We saw how that went over with Torts. He was gone before he got back to the locker room in his last game.

Radulov, for all his talent is another player that doesn't shoot the puck. This team needs a sniper and he shoots not nearly enough. Look at his stats when he came back, he does not shoot the puck.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I don't think there are character issues, but what I do think is that he isn't as good as people are saying he is. If a team that is deprived of offensive talent is looking to let him go, why should we look into picking him up? Wouldn't it be a Zherdev like situation? We saw how that went over with Torts. He was gone before he got back to the locker room in his last game.

Radulov, for all his talent is another player that doesn't shoot the puck. This team needs a sniper and he shoots not nearly enough. Look at his stats when he came back, he does not shoot the puck.
Obviously he didn't mesh with Trotz after that wohle fiasco. He probably wouldn't mesh with Torts, but I think as a second liner he'd bring a lot of skill.

You are right, though, we do probably need more of a shooter.

I don't know. I wouldn't be against the move at all but it's not something that I'll dream about. I think it would definitely help us, though.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I watched all of Nashville's games this post season and would not touch Radulov with a 10-foot pole, let alone trade Staal for him.

Whatever the extent of the "incident" was, the fact the he violated any team rule before a pivotal playoff game is 100% inexcusable. That kind of thing, especially with a player who would be making pretty big $ should we sign him, is exactly what could cause a rift in the Rangers locker room (which in my opinion is one of their most underrated strengths).

Also any way you slice it he had some truly abysmal defensive moments in the playoffs this year. The Rangers simply need everyone on the roster to buy into the system and I am not sold on Radulov being able to do that consistently.

Finally, regardless of what any of us think about his skill level, I would put serious money on him being in Torts' doghouse by the end of October. Right or wrong, that alone is a huge risk and too much of a financial gamble.

05-29-2012, 06:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Radulov is a waste.

10 million dollar talent, zero cent brain.

Selfish and entitled to boot.

Hell NO to Radulov.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Wait, were we talking about trading Staal for Radulov?

No way. I'd sign him as a free agent, no way do I give up Staal.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
God almighty, he's 40+ years old, slow as **** and was invisible vs the Devils. Time to let go of Jagr as a savior and Avery as a difference maker.
we can agree to disagree my man

Old
05-29-2012, 07:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Francesa had on Bettman today. Mike kept asking Bettman about the labor situation. Bettman didn't want to get into the details. Francesa wondered why the NHL exercised their right to terminate the CBA when the NHLPA didn't terminate it when they had two chances. The players had a re-opener and they extended it another year. All Bettman said we have had this CBA for 7 years and we have things to discuss. After Bettman was off,Francesa was discussing the labor stuff. Fehr is going to give them nothing. He is going to drive them crazy. The players hired Fehr for a reason. They were smacked around in 2005. The agreement has turned out to be a good agreement for them and they want to keep the status quo. Mike knows Fehr very well. Mike and Chris would always have Fehr and his right hand guy Gene Orza on all the time MLB was having their issues with the PA. Bettman says things are great. Record revenue. Then they terminate the CBA the first opportunity they get.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

My ideal offseason...perfect logic i think.
draft day, trade Dubi/1st rounder/prospect for Bobby Ryan
July 1st- sign Justin Schultz and Ryan Suter.

No to nash, honestly how can anyone want that cap hit...its absurd. 2. my gut says parise is doing to detroit. Doing what I said wont break the bank.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Francesa had on Bettman today. Mike kept asking Bettman about the labor situation. Bettman didn't want to get into the details. Francesa wondered why the NHL exercised their right to terminate the CBA when the NHLPA didn't terminate it when they had two chances. The players had a re-opener and they extended it another year. All Bettman said we have had this CBA for 7 years and we have things to discuss. After Bettman was off,Francesa was discussing the labor stuff. Fehr is going to give them nothing. He is going to drive them crazy. The players hired Fehr for a reason. They were smacked around in 2005. The agreement has turned out to be a good agreement for them and they want to keep the status quo. Mike knows Fehr very well. Mike and Chris would always have Fehr and his right hand guy Gene Orza on all the time MLB was having their issues with the PA. Bettman says things are great. Record revenue. Then they terminate the CBA the first opportunity they get.
Considering how much the players gave up in the last CBA. What the hell does Bettman want this time around?

Old
05-29-2012, 07:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

While I would absolutely love to have Bobby Ryannon this team, Anaheim has been pretty clear they aren't inclined to move him.

05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
While I would absolutely love to have Bobby Ryannon this team, Anaheim has been pretty clear they aren't inclined to move him.
It astonishes me that some posters still think he's absolutely getting moved, and won't cost as much as Nash to acquire.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Vitto79

how about something balzy like Ryan Clowe and Handzus (both UFA after next yr) for Dubinsky and Anisimov. Risky because of the 1 yr deals on the guys coming back but maybe worth it if they can sign Clowe long term

SJ is the type of team that may make a bold move like that to shake up their lineup

Clowe, Richards, Gaborik
Kreider, Stepan, Callahan
Hagelin, Handzus, Zuccarello
Rupp, Boyle, Prust

Old
05-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
how about something balzy like Ryan Clowe for Dubinsky and Anisimov

SJ is the type of team that may make a bold move like that to shake up their lineup

Clowe, Richards, Gaborik
Kreider, Stepan, Callahan
Hagelin, Boyle, Zuccarello
Rupp, face off C/UFA, Prust
id love Pavelski as well as Clowe but Pavelski will be UFA in the summer of 2013 if not then summer of 2014..he will be overpaid and with good reason. scores clutch goals..but we all heard that before

Old
05-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id love Pavelski as well as Clowe but Pavelski will be UFA in the summer of 2013 if not then summer of 2014..he will be overpaid and with good reason. scores clutch goals..but we all heard that before
He would be great but doubt SJ moves him. Marleau would be available I bet. Every time I think that guy is bound to go down he ends up having a great yr. If they have the space it wont shock me to hear his name too

Old
05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Considering how much the players gave up in the last CBA. What the hell does Bettman want this time around?
Bettman isn't a hockey guy. He never played hockey. He never coached hockey. He never refereed hockey.

He doesn't care about the integrity of the game.

He's a lawyer. A conniving little weasel of a lawyer.

The league needs a hockey guy to take over. Someone who cares about the integrity, history, nostalgia, and future of the GAME. With no bias. No allegiance toward any one team.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If the coach is allegedly "concerned" with Gaboriks performance, what in the world would make it seem like Semin is a good alternative? He's just as inconsistent, lazier, AND he takes stupid penalties. Not happening.
Oh, I wasn't implying we should replace Gaborik with Semin.

I want Gaborik gone. I'm not afraid to voice that. But, if we can't trade him in a deal for Nash or Ryan, and we can't sign Parise or trade for Iginla, then keeping Gaborik and adding Semin would be a decent improvement as a Plan D or E. Thats all.

I'd rather sign Semin for 2-3 years at 5.5 mil than David Jones for 2-3 at 3.5 mil.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 05-29-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old
05-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
I hate to be blunt, but to the people who want to sign the likes of David Jones/other fringe 20 goal scorers and think that is the solution to get the Rangers the Cup next year, did you watch the Devils series? The problem wasn't secondary scoring, it was primary scoring. Here are the goal scorers for the series:

Girardi (2)
Kreider (2)
Fedetenko (2)
Callahan (2)
Staal
Gaborik
Prust

ENG:
Anisimov
Callahan

Thats 11 goals (not including empty netters) in 6 games, or 1.8 goals/game. Clearly we need primary goal scorers, not more fringe 20 goal scorers to make a run at the Cup.

I'm not saying that Semin is the answer. But I'd take a flyer on him if the price is right. If we strike out on Parise/Nash/Ryan, would you really rather stand pat and see if our scoring improves next post-season? I certainly wouldn't. Hank's years are numbered.

Do you really think that Stepan/Anisimov/Dubinsky will make big strides next season and provide those goals in the playoffs? They may, but I'd rather go into the postseason with another skilled scorer than risk another heartbreaking finish at the end of the year because we have a "deep," "gritty," team with "jam" that can't score.
Bingo.

Some people just don't get it.

Some of you are going about this all wrong.

We are not in a rebuild. Now is not the time to say, hey let's let our young players develop. We don't need to make any big moves because we just made it to the ECF!

That is the absolute worst kind of attitude to have right now. We need to continue to improve. The Penguins, Flyers, Devils, Bruins, Capitals, Senators, even the Islanders will all be better next year. We need to keep up.

Secondly, the way to add DEPTH to THIS team is not to simply add depth players like David friggin Jones. You add legit talent to our top 6, so that the guys who played there out of necessity (Hagelin, Anisimov, Dubinsky) can slot down where they belong on the third line. All of a sudden, we have DEPTH! Magic, isn't it?

Adding depth players makes us a mediocre team with a bunch of good but mediocre middle of the road players. We have enough DEPTH guys. The problem is that our DEPTH guys were playing on the second line for most of the season, and sometimes the first line!

David Jones...are you ****ing kidding me?

We need to add a legit scoring threat. If we go into the season with Gaborik still being our biggest threat, expect an even earlier exit next playoffs because other teams will have improved and we will be the same defensive team that struggles to score goals.

Nash.
Parise.
Ryan.
Iginla.
St. Louis.
Jagr.

These are the kinds of guys Sather will be focusing on. Again, it's time to get creative. We dont need anymore third-liners who CAN play the second line. The best teams have first liners playing on the second line, because they have too many of them to fit on the top line. The best teams have second liners playing on the third line because their second line is already stacked.

Kreider Richards Ryan
Nash Stepan Jagr
Hagelin Anisimov Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust

That's a Stanley Cup caliber forward lineup.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Jones
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust

That is not.

See the difference?

Now, it's not going to be as simple as that, but those are the TYPES of players/moves that Sather will be looking at. His first priority is not going to be David ****ing Jones. Get a grip.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Radulov is a waste.

10 million dollar talent, zero cent brain.

Selfish and entitled to boot.

Hell NO to Radulov.
This. Same exact attitude as Malkin, except Malkin can actually dominate games on a consistent basis. Still hate both of them, but at least Malkin earns some of his arrogance.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:47 PM
NikC

Don't sell Torts short just yet...

From Carps blog:
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Once again, the coach believes the Rangers need to add skill and more youth. But, he was asked, if the team has to be careful that any newcomers fit the identity of the Rangers.
“You’re always thinking about that,” he said. “But you’ve got to be really careful about ruling people out, too. Sometimes when you think it’s a really good piece and he may not exactly fit in all the little things you do, you can teach him those things along the way if he really brings you something else that you need. So you don’t want to box yourself in here.

“Listen, we have to work extremely hard to score goals and along the way, if there’s something that can help there, you find a way to teach your concept but allow it to bring some talent in to allow that to work for you. You can’t get stubborn here, either. “No matter what happens with our team if new bodies come in, we’re certainly not going to lose the premise of what we are. I think that’s a big part of us, a big part of the camaraderie of our room.”

Sounds to me that he's willing to work with talented offensive players,
while teaching them our system

Old
05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Bettman isn't a hockey guy. He never played hockey. He never coached hockey. He never refereed hockey.

He doesn't care about the integrity of the game.

He's a lawyer. A conniving little weasel of a lawyer.

The league needs a hockey guy to take over. Someone who cares about the integrity, history, nostalgia, and future of the GAME. With no bias. No allegiance toward any one team.
Even though I have no love for Bettman, that doesn't really answer my question.

I agree with you though, Bettman is pretty much terrible. If there is another lockout, is that a recored for a commissioner?

Old
05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Bingo.

Some people just don't get it.

Some of you are going about this all wrong.

We are not in a rebuild. Now is not the time to say, hey let's let our young players develop. We don't need to make any big moves because we just made it to the ECF!

That is the absolute worst kind of attitude to have right now. We need to continue to improve. The Penguins, Flyers, Devils, Bruins, Capitals, Senators, even the Islanders will all be better next year. We need to keep up.

Secondly, the way to add DEPTH to THIS team is not to simply add depth players like David friggin Jones. You add legit talent to our top 6, so that the guys who played there out of necessity (Hagelin, Anisimov, Dubinsky) can slot down where they belong on the third line. All of a sudden, we have DEPTH! Magic, isn't it?

Adding depth players makes us a mediocre team with a bunch of good but mediocre middle of the road players. We have enough DEPTH guys. The problem is that our DEPTH guys were playing on the second line for most of the season, and sometimes the first line!

David Jones...are you ****ing kidding me?

We need to add a legit scoring threat. If we go into the season with Gaborik still being our biggest threat, expect an even earlier exit next playoffs because other teams will have improved and we will be the same defensive team that struggles to score goals.

Nash.
Parise.
Ryan.
Iginla.
St. Louis.
Jagr.

These are the kinds of guys Sather will be focusing on. Again, it's time to get creative. We dont need anymore third-liners who CAN play the second line. The best teams have first liners playing on the second line, because they have too many of them to fit on the top line. The best teams have second liners playing on the third line because their second line is already stacked.

Kreider Richards Ryan
Nash Stepan Jagr
Hagelin Anisimov Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust

That's a Stanley Cup caliber forward lineup.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Jones
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust

That is not.

See the difference?

Now, it's not going to be as simple as that, but those are the TYPES of players/moves that Sather will be looking at. His first priority is not going to be David ****ing Jones. Get a grip.
+1

No one wants to give up any assets (except cash) to acquire a true first or second liner. Every Ranger rookie is now ticketed to the hall. At some point the decision needs to be made whether a top flight pickup + the youth currently in the lineup/system will make the team into a SC contender for years to come. I can't see how a grinding team with a few minor tweaks will perform any better than this years team.

What the correct move to address the teams lack of a power play?

Closed Thread