HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

So who are you rooting for now? Devils or Kings?

View Poll Results: Who are you rooting for now, if either team?
I am rooting for the Kings. 100 63.29%
I am rooting for the Devils. 34 21.52%
I do not care either way. 18 11.39%
Huh? They are still playing hockey? 6 3.80%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2012, 08:46 PM
  #76
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Just not true. **** happens constantly where the better team loses. This year the Pens were clearly better than most of the East. The Pens win game one of the Flyers series, they win the series. They also win the East.
if we would have played anywhere close to as badly as we played the flyers we would have lost to jersey just like they did.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:26 PM
  #77
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 14,136
vCash: 500
We weren't beating anyone with the way we were playing. People need to get over it. Sid wasn't himself. Our D was a joke. PK was a joke. Couldn't make simple plays.

O yea, and Fleury was garbage.

NJ deserves to be where they are right now.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:46 PM
  #78
Pens1566
Registered User
 
Pens1566's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WV
Country: United States
Posts: 11,356
vCash: 500
I want to want the Kings to win, but I just can't get behind a team with Richards and Carter on it. I'll just hope for a good series.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
  #79
KaylaJ
Honey Bun
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 13,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Just not true. **** happens constantly where the better team loses. This year the Pens were clearly better than most of the East. The Pens win game one of the Flyers series, they win the series. They also win the East.

A clearly better team doesn't blow a 3-0 lead. A clearly better team, doesn't go down 0-3. A clearly better team may have even forced a Game 7. But hey, if lying to yourself helps you sleep all summer long, more power to you.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:07 AM
  #80
vikingGoalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Just not true. **** happens constantly where the better team loses. This year the Pens were clearly better than most of the East. The Pens win game one of the Flyers series, they win the series. They also win the East.
not to pile on, but one of the great things about hockey playoffs is that it's a 7 game series. If a one game wobble (losing the first game) is enough to make a team lose another 3 games, they clearly are not a better team.

There is a lot more to being better then just scoring goals, the devils (and kings) are playing for it all because they are NOT one dimensional.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
  #81
edog37
Registered User
 
edog37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
Kings. Debbies are in our division, play boring hockey & it involves the state of New Jersey.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:45 AM
  #82
edog37
Registered User
 
edog37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
I want to want the Kings to win, but I just can't get behind a team with Richards and Carter on it. I'll just hope for a good series.
Think Marcel Dionne & Tiger Williams instead of Carter/Richards.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
  #83
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Mod Powers
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 24,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I am floored by how little most of you dislike the Devils. Screw those guys. Go Kings.
Dude there's only so much hatred to go around.

I think almost everyone in here would agree they dislike / hate the Flyers, Capitals, Rangers, Islanders a lot more than the Devils, who really don't have any hate-worthy players on their team right now. Of our current and potential conference rivals, the Devils are a pretty mundane lot. Right up there with Carolina in terms of hate-worthyness (i.e. not much).

At every level there's more to dislike about the Kings currently than there is about the Devils, even if they are in our division. Plus you can take the opposite angle which is sort of like, when you go to a Big Ten school you don't root for the Pac Ten in the Rose Bowl, even if they're playing someone you ordinarily dislike. Like, people from Michigan might hate Notre Dame, but they're more likely to root for Notre Dame than USC or UCLA. At least that was true before the BCS cluster-****.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:24 PM
  #84
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers
 
SterlingBennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
I was cheering for the Devils in the ECF... But ONLY because I hate the Rags more than them. I loathe our entire division and never cheer for them to win a cup no matter the circumstances.

I can over look Carter and Richards on that team because I love watching Kopitar, Brown, Dougerty, and Quick play when they are running full clip. Those guys are just to fun to watch when they are at the top of their game, especially Kopitar and Quick. That dangle against St. Louis was just dirty and that deflection against the Yotes was just pretty. And to many quality saves by Quick to even pick a couple.

Kings all the way now!

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
  #85
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I am floored by how little most of you dislike the Devils. Screw those guys. Go Kings.
Agreed (actually I find I agree with you on pretty much everything haha). I cheered for them against the Flyers and Rangers, but no more. Even though Marty seems like a good dude, I always hated him. I still plan to party the day he retires. GO KINGS

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
  #86
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Dude there's only so much hatred to go around.

I think almost everyone in here would agree they dislike / hate the Flyers, Capitals, Rangers, Islanders a lot more than the Devils, who really don't have any hate-worthy players on their team right now. Of our current and potential conference rivals, the Devils are a pretty mundane lot. Right up there with Carolina in terms of hate-worthyness (i.e. not much).

At every level there's more to dislike about the Kings currently than there is about the Devils, even if they are in our division. Plus you can take the opposite angle which is sort of like, when you go to a Big Ten school you don't root for the Pac Ten in the Rose Bowl, even if they're playing someone you ordinarily dislike. Like, people from Michigan might hate Notre Dame, but they're more likely to root for Notre Dame than USC or UCLA. At least that was true before the BCS cluster-****.
Nah screw the Devils. I hate them far more than the Islanders (other than last year's blood bath).

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:31 PM
  #87
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Nah screw the Devils. I hate them far more than the Islanders (other than last year's blood bath).
Agreed. I think it's the Cleveland effect. They are currently not relevant enough to earn my hate. As soon as they get good again I will probably hate them with the fire of 1000 suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Dude there's only so much hatred to go around.

I think almost everyone in here would agree they dislike / hate the Flyers, Capitals, Rangers, Islanders a lot more than the Devils, who really don't have any hate-worthy players on their team right now. Of our current and potential conference rivals, the Devils are a pretty mundane lot. Right up there with Carolina in terms of hate-worthyness (i.e. not much).

At every level there's more to dislike about the Kings currently than there is about the Devils, even if they are in our division. Plus you can take the opposite angle which is sort of like, when you go to a Big Ten school you don't root for the Pac Ten in the Rose Bowl, even if they're playing someone you ordinarily dislike. Like, people from Michigan might hate Notre Dame, but they're more likely to root for Notre Dame than USC or UCLA. At least that was true before the BCS cluster-****.
short reason why you are wrong: they are from New Jersey.

long reason why you are wrong: I can't get behind your group mentality here even in college sports. I don't celebrate my rivals doing better than me. Once we lost, I wanted everyone in the Atlantic to lose as soon as possible. Sadly with the way seeding has worked, this is the best that could have happened. I hate the Rangers, Flyers and Caps more than the Devils. I will root for them over those teams. That's where it ends. Move out of my division and out of New Jersey and maybe we can talk. As it stands, they are by default always going to be a top 5 hated team for me as long as these divisions stay the same. Washington only passes them because of proximity and the crazy amount of douchiness that oozes from that organization.

Just say it out loud. New Jersey. Don't you feel dirty? I know I do.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 02:34 PM
  #88
Kennedyyyy48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
devils, so brodeur can retire

Kennedyyyy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:14 PM
  #89
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
A clearly better team doesn't blow a 3-0 lead. A clearly better team, doesn't go down 0-3. A clearly better team may have even forced a Game 7. But hey, if lying to yourself helps you sleep all summer long, more power to you.
Well, no team in the league can overcome a goalie with an .800 save percentage every single year.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
  #90
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
not to pile on, but one of the great things about hockey playoffs is that it's a 7 game series. If a one game wobble (losing the first game) is enough to make a team lose another 3 games, they clearly are not a better team.

There is a lot more to being better then just scoring goals, the devils (and kings) are playing for it all because they are NOT one dimensional.
And they have goaltending that have played great and good respectively. All the Pens needed was a mediocre performance and they beat the Flyers easily, and any team in the East. You're not going to get that in the playoffs with MAF.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:20 PM
  #91
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 29,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
And they have goaltending that have played great and good respectively. All the Pens needed was a mediocre performance and they beat the Flyers easily, and any team in the East. You're not going to get that in the playoffs with MAF.
we have gotten that in the playoffs with MAF.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
  #92
PensPlz
Registered User
 
PensPlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Rooting for the Devils because I looked over on the Flyer's boards and most of them are rooting for the Kings, wanting Richards to get a cup. So go Devils, I guess.

PensPlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
  #93
KaylaJ
Honey Bun
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 13,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Well, no team in the league can overcome a goalie with an .800 save percentage every single year.
You know what else could've helped? A PP that worked, a PK that didn't get thrashed every chance, defense that didn't look like chickens without heads, players not playing silly after whistle mental games, putting more pucks on a goalie who looked spaced out, etc. It wasn't a one person fallout, it was a whole TEAM effort and rounds us back again to what I said, the Penguins were NOT clearly better.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:17 PM
  #94
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedyyyy48 View Post
devils, so brodeur can retire
Brodeur isn't what he use to be, he doesn't scare me anymore the way he once did. If he stays 2-3 more years the Devils won't look for a replacement and well be alright since personally I think he's going downhill

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
  #95
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we have gotten that in the playoffs with MAF.
Not getting into this argument because it has been beaten to death, but the Penguins got one good playoffs out of MAF ever, and it was 2008. The year the team flew through the East.

The rest, even when we won the cup were beyond bad.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:38 PM
  #96
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
You know what else could've helped? A PP that worked, a PK that didn't get thrashed every chance, defense that didn't look like chickens without heads, players not playing silly after whistle mental games, putting more pucks on a goalie who looked spaced out, etc. It wasn't a one person fallout, it was a whole TEAM effort and rounds us back again to what I said, the Penguins were NOT clearly better.
The Pens scored five or six goals a game. The Flyers scored more. You can blame everything on disarray in the d-zone, a bad penalty kill, or whoever you want, but the bottom line is if the Penguins got mediocre play, not horrendous play, out of MAF they easily win the series.

You can not possibly blame it on the offense or putting more pucks on the goalie.

Your best penalty killer has to be your goalie, he was the worst. 60% of their PP goals were in the last 20 seconds of the powerplay when they had no sustained pressure, just rushing up ice.


Bottom line is the Penguins were clearly the best team in he East with a capable goalie. They didn't have it yet again, and lost because of it. End of story.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
  #97
KaylaJ
Honey Bun
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 13,482
vCash: 500
They only scored 5 or more twice vs Philly

And hey, if you want to believe the only reason they're not in the Finals is because of Fleury, then like I said earlier, whatever helps you sleep at night.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:55 AM
  #98
Prattio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Kings I guess? This is a horribly boring matchup.

Prattio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:27 AM
  #99
ArcticFox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Kings by a thousand miles! Always had a soft spot for them anyway, but the main reason is not that: they're not only an atlantic team but I hate their brand of hockey and despise their franchise. So I don't only want to see the kings win but most of all the Devils lose!

GO KINGS!

EDIT - and also: seeing certain ex-philly players hoist the cup for another team would be so delicious I think I'd short circuit of joy


Last edited by ArcticFox: 05-31-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: forgot to list something
ArcticFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
  #100
SidNeedsNoWingers
He can do it all!
 
SidNeedsNoWingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix via Pgh
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Hedberg can win a cup.
And so can...Alexi Ponikarovski...I am not sure how to feel about that

SidNeedsNoWingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.