HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers' Core Defensemen

Old
05-26-2012, 03:39 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 500
Rangers' Core Defensemen

Namely: Staal, Del Zotto, Girardi, McDonagh.

Staal: DFD. Top pairing, positionally sound, very long reach and big body. Smooth skater for such a big body. Uses a long stick not traditionally meant for offense. Extremely strong in board play. Long reach is very good for penalty killing. Has a knack for a good outlet pass. Jumps into the play occasionally. Not the greatest shot. 25 years old, 6'4 214 lbs, LH. Signed until 2015 at a modest 3.975 cap hit.

Girardi: DFD/TWD. Top pairing, positionally sound. Not the fastest skater, generally has active stick work to make up for it. Not afraid to throw body checks and uses his size along the boards well. Excellent at keeping the play alive in the offensive zone. Has a deceptive wrister, slap shot is average at best. Likes to shoot the puck wide to keep it alive along the boards. Very good penalty killer and a work horse. Eats minutes like it was really good pizza. Never complains of injuries. He'll get stitched up and be out on the ice within 5 minutes of getting injured. True iron man and tremendous shot blocker. Turned 28 about a month ago, 6'2 215 lbs, RH. Signed until 2014 at a 3.325 (!!!) cap hit.

Del Zotto: OFD. 2nd pairing PPQB. Average skater, positional defense improved a lot this season. Has a high compete level, but tends to get down on himself when he makes a mistake and gets frustrated. Has a mean streak and anyone who gives him an untimely crosscheck is likely to receive 10 in return. Has shown a lot of willingness to learn (spent all summer watching tape of defensive strategies and it showed). A lot of upside (hit 41 points as a 21 year old). Plays the penalty kill, but not on the first unit. He is most often beat by wingers with a lot of speed. Possesses an extremely accurate pass and can thread the needle on the PP sometimes magically. Likes to pick corners with his wrister when he shoots so it usually either goes in or wide. Has a good stretch pass. Slapper could use work. 21 years old, 6'1 195 lbs, LH. RFA.

McDonagh: TWD. The best of the bunch here. I was going to call Staal and Girardi #1 d-men as well, but some would contest it, so I'll just go with top pairing for them, but McDonagh is clearly already a #1 d-man. Positionally sound, but on those occasions where he is out of position, his extremely strong skating abilities get him out of trouble. Great lateral and north-south skater. Possesses a very long reach and uses his stick actively in defense, but his greatest asset is his strength. No matter who comes down his wing, he is nearly always able to pin them to the boards and take away whatever chance they had at scoring. Tremendous shot blocker. Extremely good stick handler in the offensive zone. Is able to weave his way through defenders quite easily and possesses a ton of offensive upside (was originally drafted as an offensive d-man, but decided to perfect his defensive game in college). Has a good wrist shot, slapper could use some work. Good outlet pass. I'm probably forgetting a ton of things, but you just have to watch him to see. 22 years old, 6'1 200 lbs, LH. Currently on his ELC until 2013 at 1.3 mil.

It's unlikely any of them will be traded. McDonagh has proven himself nearly untouchable and would never garner his true worth as he still has loads of potential. Del Zotto is the only true offensive defenseman we have, so he is likely next on the untouchable list.

Staal and Girardi are likely to be more available than the other two. I would be comfortable with Sauer and Stralman as two of our RH d-men as both have proven they are very comfortable playing second pairing. McIlrath is our top prospect in terms of RH defenseman. He will never likely live up to the hype of a tenth overall (not that most really amount to much if you look it up), but he'll at least be a bottom pairing guy.
In terms of LH prospects, we have Erixon, who projects to be at least a 2nd pairing guy, with top pairing upside. So, we have two first pairing guys, a second pairing guy and a prospect with first/second pairing upside.
I think Staal is made expendable through the emergence of McD and iff Erixon is ready for bottom pairing duty. It was nice getting Staal back, though, in the middle of the season as by the trade deadline he was getting his strength back and (as our organization described it), it was like getting a top pairing guy at the deadline.

Something's gotta go.

Our needs are:
Goal scoring wingers who can create space for themselves and teammates, whether it be through physicality or just their skillset. If it's a RWer, it has to be somebody who can displace Gaborik and would mesh with Richards (doesn't necessarily have to be a 40 goal scorer of course...) as our second line RW is set with Callahan. Preferably the wingers would be people who are comfortable with carrying the puck through the neutral zone and past the blue line. A strong slap shot is a plus. They don't necessarily have to be bonafide snipers, but it would be best if they played along the halfboards on the PP and didn't score most of their goals the garbage way (front of the net on the PP is taken by Callahan, and when Tortorella feels like it, Rupp ). We play a checking, two way style, so while the forward doesn't have to be overly physical, it would help if they were occasionally active on the backcheck and didn't shy away from hits.

I put a lot of information here, but I felt like it would avoid questions later and show which d-men fit which team best. Fire away.

Last edited by iamitter: 05-26-2012 at 03:50 AM.
iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Riptide

It would easily be Staal or Girardi who Sather might consider moving for the right price. However with their very friendly contracts I don't see why he would trade either (at least until he has to give them new ones). I'm sure there would be tons of interest in either of those guys... however I don't see you getting a star winger in return. I'd expect to see a top 6 winger and picks/prospects coming back. Much like the Burns trade.

Reason being, is how many teams have an abundance of top 6 wingers who they can spare for a top pairing D?

He can always try the FA market for a winger. There isn't any star wingers other than Parise, however there are guys who can compliment your current core.

I'd love to trade J Staal for M Staal. However I don't see that sort of trade happening within the division, nor do I think NY has enough of a need for another center where they consider moving M Staal to fill it.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 06:13 AM
MW6

As a Caps can I would move Johansson and the 16th OA for Staal. I think Staal would be a great compliment for Mike Green and give the Caps two really good d-pairs.
Johansson is great at carrying the puck through neutral zone, has lots of speed, still on his ELC. 46 pts in his second season. Can play both wing and center. Lots of potential to grow as a player.

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:32 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
As a Caps can I would move Johansson and the 16th OA for Staal. I think Staal would be a great compliment for Mike Green and give the Caps two really good d-pairs.
Johansson is great at carrying the puck through neutral zone, has lots of speed, still on his ELC. 46 pts in his second season. Can play both wing and center. Lots of potential to grow as a player.
I'd rather see Staal (if moved) for Bobby Ryan or Perron+. Something like that in return. Young good goalscorers for our young top pairing shutdown D on a great deal.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Iowa Wingsfan

Detroit could really use someone that naturally plays the right side and is physical. Any interest in Filppula+ for Girardi?

Iowa Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Namely: Staal, Del Zotto, Girardi, McDonagh...

Del Zotto: OFD. 2nd pairing PPQB. Average skater, positional defense improved a lot this season. Has a high compete level, but tends to get down on himself when he makes a mistake and gets frustrated. Has a mean streak and anyone who gives him an untimely crosscheck is likely to receive 10 in return. Has shown a lot of willingness to learn (spent all summer watching tape of defensive strategies and it showed). A lot of upside (hit 41 points as a 21 year old). Plays the penalty kill, but not on the first unit. He is most often beat by wingers with a lot of speed. Possesses an extremely accurate pass and can thread the needle on the PP sometimes magically. Likes to pick corners with his wrister when he shoots so it usually either goes in or wide. Has a good stretch pass. Slapper could use work. 21 years old, 6'1 195 lbs, LH. RFA.

McDonagh: TWD. The best of the bunch here. I was going to call Staal and Girardi #1 d-men as well, but some would contest it, so I'll just go with top pairing for them, but McDonagh is clearly already a #1 d-man. Positionally sound, but on those occasions where he is out of position, his extremely strong skating abilities get him out of trouble. Great lateral and north-south skater. Possesses a very long reach and uses his stick actively in defense, but his greatest asset is his strength. No matter who comes down his wing, he is nearly always able to pin them to the boards and take away whatever chance they had at scoring. Tremendous shot blocker. Extremely good stick handler in the offensive zone. Is able to weave his way through defenders quite easily and possesses a ton of offensive upside (was originally drafted as an offensive d-man, but decided to perfect his defensive game in college). Has a good wrist shot, slapper could use some work. Good outlet pass. I'm probably forgetting a ton of things, but you just have to watch him to see. 22 years old, 6'1 200 lbs, LH. Currently on his ELC until 2013 at 1.3 mil.

Our needs are:
Goal scoring wingers who can create space for themselves and teammates, whether it be through physicality or just their skillset. If it's a RWer, it has to be somebody who can displace Gaborik and would mesh with Richards (doesn't necessarily have to be a 40 goal scorer of course...) as our second line RW is set with Callahan. Preferably the wingers would be people who are comfortable with carrying the puck through the neutral zone and past the blue line. A strong slap shot is a plus. They don't necessarily have to be bonafide snipers, but it would be best if they played along the halfboards on the PP and didn't score most of their goals the garbage way (front of the net on the PP is taken by Callahan, and when Tortorella feels like it, Rupp ). We play a checking, two way style, so while the forward doesn't have to be overly physical, it would help if they were occasionally active on the backcheck and didn't shy away from hits.

I put a lot of information here, but I felt like it would avoid questions later and show which d-men fit which team best. Fire away.
Flyers and Rangers aren't likely partners, but, hypothetically...

For McDonagh, take JVR (who grew up a Rangers fan) and any other roster piece not named Giroux and Couturier (Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, etc.--Meszaros or Coburn (who I really don't want to give up) if you want a defensive replacement, or draft picks).

I'd consider moving a somewhat lesser package (JVR + picks but not players) for MDZ.

While Staal and Girardi are very good players, I don't know that they are enough of an upgrade on Coburn / Grossmann / Timonen / Meszaros to move the assets it would take to get them.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Staal, Girardi, and McDonagh are untouchable. Rest of our dmen can be had for the right price. Right price wouldn't be a 2-for-1. Straight up deal.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:47 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Staal, Girardi, and McDonagh are untouchable. Rest of our dmen can be had for the right price. Right price wouldn't be a 2-for-1. Straight up deal.
As a NYI fan and outsider this is how I feel.....

having those 3 in your top 4 is pretty damn good....mayby package your first and MDZ for a high scoring winger....

1st will be late anyway...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:57 AM
jeromeo87

CAR could use a reliable dman like Staal; they also need a guy like Rupp. How about..

To NYR
Pitkanen, Jokinen
To CAR
M.Staal, Rupp

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 09:58 AM
MAK19

Something around Staal or Del Zotto for Michalek. Michalek is exactly what you described.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Something around Staal or Del Zotto for Michalek. Michalek is exactly what you described.
Del Zotto, yes. But I wouldn't move Staal for Michalek

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:08 AM
jpchabby

Actually, I liked the idea of something around Staal for Bobby Ryan... how do you guys think this could work out? could it?

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Vitto79

This was the teams first good yr with the young D. No way I move any of them. They have cap space to make a deal for a winger or sign PArise.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:11 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Michalek and a 3rd for Del Zotto and a 2nd

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:12 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
I'd rather see Staal (if moved) for Bobby Ryan or Perron+. Something like that in return. Young good goalscorers for our young top pairing shutdown D on a great deal.
Depending on the + I would be all over that Perron + deal

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:13 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Flyers and Rangers aren't likely partners, but, hypothetically...

For McDonagh, take JVR (who grew up a Rangers fan) and any other roster piece not named Giroux and Couturier (Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, etc.--Meszaros or Coburn (who I really don't want to give up) if you want a defensive replacement, or draft picks).

I'd consider moving a somewhat lesser package (JVR + picks but not players) for MDZ.

While Staal and Girardi are very good players, I don't know that they are enough of an upgrade on Coburn / Grossmann / Timonen / Meszaros to move the assets it would take to get them.
MDZ & Dubinsky + 1st for JVR & Wayne Simmonds

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Why are we moving Del Zotto again?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
MDZ & Dubinsky + 1st for JVR & Wayne Simmonds
Hell no!

Old
05-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Kershaw

If a young, top 4 defenseman is moved then I would want, a young top scorer.

Bobby Ryan, Logan Couture, Taylor Hall, etc

Old
05-26-2012, 10:35 AM
DallasStarsfan06

What would you want from Dallas for Del Zotto and Anisimov?

DallasStarsfan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStarsfan06 View Post
Benn or Eriksson, which I know is a non-starter but I think that's what would be sought.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
I'm guessing Eriksson or Benn are off-limits.

Old
05-26-2012, 10:41 AM
DallasStarsfan06

Quote:
Benn or Eriksson, which I know is a non-starter but I think that's what would be sought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'm guessing Eriksson or Benn are off-limits.
What about some combo of Daley/Goligoski+Steve Ott/Morrow

Old
05-26-2012, 10:45 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
What about some combo of Daley/Goligoski+Steve Ott/Morrow
No need for those guys.

-Morrow is too old - we're not going trade 2 guys under 25 for that
-Ott is nice, but we have similar guys in Boyle, Dubinsky, Callahan (obviously varying degrees)
-Goligoski - why would we trade MDZ for a player who plays the exact same role but is older?

The main needs for NY are
1) Another big time scorer (Benn or Eriksson) - I'm aware that NY would likely need to add a bit but I'm thinking thats the only pieces that NY really need)
2) A RH dman who is = or better than MDZ. (As far as I know the only one is Robidas and he's way to old.)

Old
05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
DallasStarsfan06

Quote:
No need for those guys.

-Morrow is too old - we're not going trade 2 guys under 25 for that
-Ott is nice, but we have similar guys in Boyle, Dubinsky, Callahan (obviously varying degrees)
-Goligoski - why would we trade MDZ for a player who plays the exact same role but is older?

The main needs for NY are
1) Another big time scorer (Benn or Eriksson) - I'm aware that NY would likely need to add a bit but I'm thinking thats the only pieces that NY really need)
2) A RH dman who is = or better than MDZ. (As far as I know the only one is Robidas and he's way to old.)
If you want Eriksson then something like Eriksson+Robidas for Anisimov+Del Zotto+JT Miller+?