HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Parise and Suter a package deal?

Old
05-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Suter is going to get friggin paid. I'm sure there will 12 teams ready to offer him 7.5 yearly long term and probably 5-6 the same but with a lot up front.

A 13 year deal is something I see with a 6.5 cap hit across the board and a lot up front.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
People that think they're going to Colorado amuse me.
Damn straight! You SHOULD be amused.

I mean, although I've never actually been there, I heard that Colorado is a HORRIBLE, UGLY place to live. I have no idea why players 27-28 years old, would be looking to move THERE to raise their families.

Not to mention that the Avs have an AGING young core of players whom will all no doubt be finished by the time they all hit 26.

Stastny - 26
Duchene - 21
O'Reilly - 21
Landeskog - 19
Downie - 25
McGinn - 23
Mueller - 24
E.Johnson - 24
R.Wilson - 25
Elliott - 21
Varlamov - 24

Yeah, that's a terrible core of players. There is no where to go for this team but down, down, DOWN!!! If Suter and Parise REALLY want to win, they should join some teams out there that are built through the wings and weak down the middle, that's the best way to build a winner.

Last edited by Bender: 05-28-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I don't buy that CO has a leg up on everyone else with the cap space, but I do agree with the logic that someone of Parise or Suter's calibre will be looking for a long term deal somewhere with a lot of young talent on the team or ready to go. If they want to do a big money short term deal then probably they want to be somewhere they think has an immediate chance at the cup.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:31 PM
HTT3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Damn straight! You SHOULD be amused.

I mean, although I've never actually been there, I heard that Colorado is a HORRIBLE, UGLY place to live. I have no idea why players 27-28 years old, would be looking to move THERE to raise their families.

Not to mention that the Avs have an AGING young core of players whom will all no doubt be finished by the time they all hit 26.

Stastny - 26
Duchene - 21
O'Reilly - 21
Landeskog - 19
Downie - 25
McGinn - 23
Mueller - 24
E.Johnson - 24
R.Wilson - 25
Elliott - 21
Varlamov - 24

Yeah, that's a terrible core of players. There is no where to go for this team but down, down, DOWN!!! If Suter and Parise REALLY want to win, they should join some teams out there that are built through the wings and weak down the middle, that's the best way to build a winner.

I agree Colorado is a nice place to live. I lived there for a year and loved it. I would go back!

I agree Colorado has some amazing young talent excelling in the NHL

I 'LOL at your comment about Detroit being weak down the middle. That is hilarious since Wings have arguably the top two centers in the League. And Helm is one of the fastest skaters and brilliant two-way centers in the league. Not to mention, Filppula is a natural center playing wing because he's too good of a player for the bottom 6 role.

Wings are really good down the middle. Also, DRW's management know how to build a winning team, they win a cup about every 4 years on average.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
I agree Colorado is a nice place to live. I lived there for a year and loved it. I would go back!

I agree Colorado has some amazing young talent excelling in the NHL

I 'LOL at your comment about Detroit being weak down the middle. That is hilarious since Wings have arguably the top two centers in the League. And Helm is one of the fastest skaters and brilliant two-way centers in the league. Not to mention, Filppula is a natural center playing wing because he's too good of a player for the bottom 6 role.

Wings are really good down the middle. Also, DRW's management know how to build a winning team, they win a cup about every 4 years on average
Might want to re-read. My first part of the post was in direct response to the wings fans who was amused at the thought of those guys signing with the Avs. The 2nd part of my post was aimed at everyone else who might think that those players aren't aware of what they are in the process of building in Colorado. The last part of my post was a general 'poke' at teams who have poor center depth but keep want to add star wingers to their teams. (that's why I said "they should join some teamS out there") [Obviously, this would EXCLUDE the red wings] Fans of 'those' teams know who they are. lol

All that said, I don't even think that Parise and Suter will end up in Colorado but if it did happen, I wouldn't be necessarily surprised.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I don't buy that CO has a leg up on everyone else with the cap space
http://capgeek.com/

Scroll down to the way bottom... you'll find our name last on the list.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 03:49 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

part of that problem is you have currently 13 mil(based on last years cap hits) on the RFA block ....and there is plenty of significant players in that group

so once you add in 20-20+ mil then Col jumps ahead of Det into about 18th overall

still significant cap space though

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 04:06 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:

you misunderstood me: I meant that out of all of the teams with the space to sign both of them for market value I haven't yet heard any convincing argument why they would chose CO. Or any other team for that matter.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
you misunderstood me: I meant that out of all of the teams with the space to sign both of them for market value I haven't yet heard any convincing argument why they would chose CO. Or any other team for that matter.
Quote:
Here's a bit of a rundown on some of the scenarios I've been going through in my head as an Avs fan.

1st, we have to assume our GM will spend the money irregardless of no CBA, as there is next to no chance it will be signed in time. He has stated in the past we as a club would spend when the CBA was renegotiated.

2nd, our owner has stated publicly that our GM has a blank check when he is ready to use it.

3rd, Suter supposedly stated he will not be signing in Canada (I can't find the link, but I recall reading about it a few times) and he has rumored his intent to sign somewhere long term and somewhere with a similar rural feel to Nashville.

4th, Suter and Parise will want big dollars wherever they sign, so the team that brings them in needs to either be ready to make a Chicago-like leap into the cup finals or be a sufficiently talented enough team to build around/with them and become contenders during their tenure. But nowhere has it been stated they expect to win immediately, it may actually be beneficial to join a young up and coming team that will have a longer window than someone like Detroit.

5th, it can't hurt to have friends, both Suter and Parise are familiar with EJ and Stastny (as well as Mueller I believe) and they will be able to join people they may (hopefully) have good friendships with, making the transition easier.

Obviously there are flaws in this logic, but it is a slowly built up process which if you took the time to read helps shed some light on why we feel we have a better than slim chance at bringing one or both into the franchise.
This was a response to you earlier in the thread...

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:21 PM
NJDEVIL

IF......big IF but IF the Devils win the Cup, whose to say Suter and Parise don't land back in NJ. Lets face it, the Devils are always trying to get better and Lou Lams loves defensemen. What IF, the finances are worked out by that mysterious funder that disappeared in the rumor mill.......

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Just a thought, but if Parise wins a cup in New Jersey, what's stopping him from signing with another team? His ultimate goal will be achieved.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:05 PM
hdtrax

Ilya Kovalchuk's real salary from 2012-13 to 2016-17 will be at least 11 million a year.

Only possible impedimemt to Parise re-signing in NJ, IMHO. NJ isn't making too much money so that could be what prevents a deal from happening.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:07 PM
jmeehan1985

Kovy cap hit is 6.6 mil throughout 2025

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
hdtrax

We know. Not talking about cap hit. Talking about actual payable salary.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM
jmeehan1985

So yes 11 million lol

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:17 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
This was a response to you earlier in the thread...
and all of that applies to MN as well. Well, not the specifics of "friends" but Parise built a house here, and Suter and Gilbert are friends from being on the Badgers together. I'm sure more teams could also make connections like that.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Wingsfan2965*

I think people are looking too much into Parise having a house in Minnesota. If I was a multi-millionaire I'd damn well own a second house in my hometown too.

I'm sure Zetterberg has a home in Sweden but I doubt Holland is sweating bullets at the notion that he could jump ship to Eliteserien.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Rabiddog

Quote:
and all of that applies to MN as well. Well, not the specifics of "friends" but Parise built a house here, and Suter and Gilbert are friends from being on the Badgers together. I'm sure more teams could also make connections like that.
Also Suter wife is from Minneapolis.

Ryan Suter's wife, Becky, lists her prominent Minneapolis real estate developer dad as her current employer.

Also the former Nashville owner is now owner of the wild.

There's acrually more signs for Suter to Minnnesota then Parise.

Rabiddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I think people are looking too much into Parise having a house in Minnesota. If I was a multi-millionaire I'd damn well own a second house in my hometown too.

I'm sure Zetterberg has a home in Sweden but I doubt Holland is sweating bullets at the notion that he could jump ship to Eliteserien.
That's not a very good comparison.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:26 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

With the Devils being in the cup finals, it's not out of the question to see both studs sign in New Jersey this offseason.

Lou will do everything in his power to keep Zach around and for whatever reason, I think he might pull the Suter card if need be. We need a guy like Suter, well who doesn't, and we all know the love affair between Lou and his american born players. We've been missing a legit #1 for god knows how long and if we can bring in a mentor for Larsson, it would be like killing two birds with one stone.

We have Salvador coming off the books, Marty's contract needs to be re-up as well and the cap will be going up. If the ownership thing can get settled, and it shouldn't be that hard to do with our current run, I don't see why we couldn't lock up both guys.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
With the Devils being in the cup finals, it's not out of the question to see both studs sign in New Jersey this offseason.

Lou will do everything in his power to keep Zach around and for whatever reason, I think he might pull the Suter card if need be. We need a guy like Suter, well who doesn't, and we all know the love affair between Lou and his american born players. We've been missing a legit #1 for god knows how long and if we can bring in a mentor for Larsson, it would be like killing two birds with one stone.

We have Salvador coming off the books, Marty's contract needs to be re-up as well and the cap will be going up. If the ownership thing can get settled, and it shouldn't be that hard to do with our current run, I don't see why we couldn't lock up both guys.
Other than the fact NJ has no money. They'll be lucky to keep Parise; they have no chance at Suter.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:45 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I highly doubt either of these two is going to sign their 60M retirement contract with any team that even has a hint of a money issue.

WSH to my surprise could make it work, though depth would be... interesting. I'm not on capgeek to make the roster now but letting Semin, Wideman, Vokoun and Knuble walk frees up just over 15M in cap space. Green qualifies at 5M, .25M less than his current cap hit. Carlson, Beagle, and Perreault get raises combining for about 3M in total increase. It requires the cap to increase as Holmgren projected, but doesn't require any contract movement or other UFA signings. On the other hand it would require McPhee to do something he's essentially never done before in going after a top free agent.

Still, in theory, possible. They're roughly the same age as the rest of Washington's core too, so there would be a good many years of contending.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Probably has been said already, but I think it is far more likely that WEBER and Suter are a package deal. They have actually played together for longer than the Olympics, have had tremendous success, and Nashville would get a killing for both of them. Rather than getting just a pick for Suter and the same next year for Weber. Obviously, Nashville would have to determine that both won't resign. But I think it is more likely than Suter and Parise pulling a Lebron/Wade and signing on the same team.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
lolwut

Unless Parise gets severely low balled, I don't see him bolting to a different team.

lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:36 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Avs prospect pool:

Forwards with good upside: Hishon - 1st line potential, but he has health issues
Sgarbossa - top 6 potential

Defensmen with at least top 4 upside: Elliott - 1st pairing potential
Siemens - same as Elliott
Barrie - top 4, his upside is a very good #3
Gaunce - top 4 potential

Goalies with NHL potential: Aittokallio - potential to be a starter
Pickard - same as Aitto
Patterson - same as Aitto and Pickard

Colorado's defensive and goaltending prospects blow Wild's defensive and goaltending prospects right out of the water.

Then we come to young talent that already proved their skills in the NHL, Avs have Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, EJ and Varlamov, who are their comparables on Minny?

As for Avs trades the only one that wasn't good was Liles for a 2nd rounder, the fact that you think that Varly's and EJ's (and it wasn't Stewart and Shatty for EJ, it was Stewart, Shatty and the 32nd pick for EJ, McClement and 11th pick) trade were bad for Colorado shows how clueless you are.
The Wild have three goalie prospects who stack up against anybody (Kuemper, Hackett and Gustafson) and their defenseman are headlined by Brodin, Scandella and possibly Morgan Rielly or Matt Dumba would stack pretty closely to the Avs.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote