HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Former Shark Steve Bernier may win Cup

Old
05-27-2012, 12:34 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
he and Michalek were two terrible wastes of picks
Yup. Coulda had Suter and Parise.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Why are you guys putting Michalek and Bernier in the same sentence? One guy is a bust playing on the 4th line and on his 5th team because he's lazy. The other guy put up 35 goals this year(more than any Shark this year) because he finally had a pretty healthy season. Michalek is a very good 2 way second line winger and is a capable 1st liner too. I understand there might be other players in his draft you'd rather have but to call Michalek a waste of a pick is not right...

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:35 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Yup. Coulda had Suter and Parise.
We really should have drafted Crosby and Ovechkin too.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 03:45 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Why are you guys putting Michalek and Bernier in the same sentence? One guy is a bust playing on the 4th line and on his 5th team because he's lazy. The other guy put up 35 goals this year(more than any Shark this year) because he finally had a pretty healthy season. Michalek is a very good 2 way second line winger and is a capable 1st liner too. I understand there might be other players in his draft you'd rather have but to call Michalek a waste of a pick is not right...
This, and Michalek got us Heatley, and Heatley got us Havlat.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Slurms McKenzie
Wam wam wazzle!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2134 View Post
We could have had Getzlaf instead of fat Bernier.
perry and kesler could have been had too. could have been had.

Slurms McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Korolyuk15

definitely a side track, but Michalek was in no way a wasted pick...was very sad to see him go and the sharks could have definitely used his speed recently...

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 09:14 AM
NewtJorden
SharksPackersAstros

Send a message via MSN to NewtJorden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Look like he can get into acting after his hockey career

NewtJorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:02 PM
poppap527

He is going to buy so much Poutine with the winners bonus.

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
he and Michalek were two terrible wastes of picks
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=159458

According to Lehtonen32 Michalek was apparently ranked 5th by ISS. At the time I wouldn't call either of them a wasted pick, with hindsight yeah you could have had Suter, Parise, Getzlaf, etc but at the time they were fine.

Quote:
1. Nathan Horton
2. Eric Staal
3. Nikolai Zherdev
4. Marc-Andre Fleury
5. Milan Michalek
6. Thomas Vanek
7. Ryan Suter
8. Braydon Coburn
9. Dustin Brown
10. Ryan Getzlaf
Almost forgot the compulsory Steve Bernier video anytime a thread about him pops up:

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:33 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post

According to Lehtonen32 Michalek was apparently ranked 5th by ISS. At the time I wouldn't call either of them a wasted pick, with hindsight yeah you could have had Suter, Parise, Getzlaf, etc but at the time they were fine.
Michalek was a top 5 pick candidate that year. ISS had him high, The Hockey News had him high, CSB had him high. He was right in the convo with those other guys listed. While he disappointed with injuries and didn't click until this year in Ottawa, I've never felt it fair to label him a disappointment or a wasted pick or the like. But I'm usually a bit less harsh than most in looking at past drafts because I vehemently dislike the way most analysis looks back and a makes judgments based on total hindsight. Holding it against teams for not drafting players who became what no one expected them to is just wrong.

I can dig out my 03 THN draft preview to look up everything that was said about Michalek if necessary. And other players too.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 05-27-2012 at 04:40 PM.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:38 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
He's playing well, but 6 pts in 18 games isn't exactly scoring support.
6 PTS playing 4th line minutes, his line has been playing in the offensive end on a regular basis, and how many points did Marleau and Pavelski get in 5 games this year? Looks like Peter "the teacher" Deboer has repaired the damage that Ron Wilson did to him.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 04:45 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
6 PTS playing 4th line minutes, his line has been playing in the offensive end on a regular basis, and how many points did Marleau and Pavelski get in 5 games this year? Looks like Peter "the teacher" Deboer has repaired the damage that Ron Wilson did to him.
If that were true, he'd be playing on a 2nd line like he was supposed to be when he was drafted.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:26 AM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Michalek was a top 5 pick candidate that year. ISS had him high, The Hockey News had him high, CSB had him high. He was right in the convo with those other guys listed. While he disappointed with injuries and didn't click until this year in Ottawa, I've never felt it fair to label him a disappointment or a wasted pick or the like. But I'm usually a bit less harsh than most in looking at past drafts because I vehemently dislike the way most analysis looks back and a makes judgments based on total hindsight. Holding it against teams for not drafting players who became what no one expected them to is just wrong.

I can dig out my 03 THN draft preview to look up everything that was said about Michalek if necessary. And other players too.
Even with hindsight I don't think Michalek can be considered a "waste". Outside his first full season where he scored 35 pts, he never went below the 55 point mark in his next three years with San Jose. For a young 20-something, that's very respectable.

When you also look at Michalek's skill set and what his game was all about, who else could the Sharks have selected, if that was the specific package they were looking for. A speedy winger who can play a responsible two-way game while being productive in a top-6 role. Dustin Brown is probably the only guy that comes to mind from that first round. Brown brings more physicality while Michalek had raw skill at his disposal.

When folks point out, well we could have selected Parise or Getzlaf or Perry, I think they're not factoring in what the GM was looking for at that time. Lets not forget that San Jose lost two of their best wingers in 2003 (Selanne and Nolan). Michalek was probably seen as someone who could fill the void left by Teemu.

Old
05-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Clowe Me

Milan was worthy of his pick and produced and played at the level you would want from a young 20's year old forward. Bernier was good in his rookie year, but has been very inconsistent and bad ever since.

Quote:
He's a decent 4th liner who is now on his 5th team in 5 years. For a guy who was picked in front of Parise, Perry, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler, Mike Richards, Loui Eriksson, Bergeron, Weber, Backes, you shouldn't be satisfied with 6 in 18 games reguardless of the circumstance they came in.

And that list just made me depressed.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Rasta

Gives me another reason to want NJ to beat LA. Like I needed another one...

Rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:43 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Milan was worthy of his pick and produced and played at the level you would want from a young 20's year old forward. Bernier was good in his rookie year, but has been very inconsistent and bad ever since.

He's a decent 4th liner who is now on his 5th team in 5 years. For a guy who was picked in front of Parise, Perry, Getzlaf, Burns, Kesler, Mike Richards, Loui Eriksson, Bergeron, Weber, Backes, you shouldn't be satisfied with 6 in 18 games reguardless of the circumstance they came in.

And that list just made me depressed.
You can't blame a guy for being picked ahead of those guys, not to mention he came from the Q, which is always a risk when drafting, but its no secret the Sharks ruined his confidence and that can play a big part in development. Gotta give him credit for sticking around for 5+ years when most players would have thrown the towel in, or left for europe. 6 Pts in 18 games from a 4th line player is great for 4th line minutes.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
param

Quote:
You can't blame a guy for being picked ahead of those guys, not to mention he came from the Q, which is always a risk when drafting, but its no secret the Sharks ruined his confidence and that can play a big part in development. Gotta give him credit for sticking around for 5+ years when most players would have thrown the towel in, or left for europe. 6 Pts in 18 games from a 4th line player is great for 4th line minutes.
No one ruined his confidence. The guy never improved his skating, he took too many nights off, and just had no drive. After he was traded by San Jose he got opportunities in the top-6 at both Vancouver and Buffalo. Outside of a few flashes of brilliance he was never able to maintain that role due to his inconsistency. Even now in New Jersey I'd give credit to Ryan Carter and Stephen Gionta for that line's success not Bernier.

Just because the guy has 6 pts in 18 games in the playoffs doesn't excuse the 6 pts in 31 games during the regular season.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:10 PM
BCShark

whos got that 360 one handed goal through the legs video?

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:58 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post

Almost forgot the compulsory Steve Bernier video anytime a thread about him pops up:
This video says a few things..

1. Michalek and bernier had some great chemistry.
2. Michalek set up most of those goals.
3. marleau seemed to be playing with Bear and michalek a lot as well.
4. Michalek is pretty damn good when healthy.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post

Michalek-Marleau-Bernier was such a sick line. The three of them were dynamite. Check out the goal around 3:12.

Remember when we had Marleau, Thrornton, Cheechoo, Bernier, Michalek, Pavelski, Carle, Vlasic, Nabokov, Toskala all in their early-mid twenties...

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Hackeybuff*

Canuck fan coming in peace. We also had Bernier and I liked the guy. Too bad he had a $2 million dollar price tag .

I still think the kings are going to win (ugh) but if the Devils do , then give Bernier his due.

Hackeybuff* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
matt trick

Getzlaf and weber would not have become the players they are as Sharks. I think our development is solid, but Nashville churns dmen better than anyone, and the ducks are great with developing big forwards.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:44 AM
param

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Michalek-Marleau-Bernier was such a sick line. The three of them were dynamite. Check out the goal around 3:12.

Remember when we had Marleau, Thrornton, Cheechoo, Bernier, Michalek, Pavelski, Carle, Vlasic, Nabokov, Toskala all in their early-mid twenties...
Yeah, it was crazy how quickly that line gelled. The Cheechoo - Thornton combo pretty much stole all the thunder that season, but that extra layer of Michalek - Marleau - Bernier was very underrated.

4:47 one of my favorite goals ever! Bernier was a Douglas Murray lite, so hard to knock him off the puck. Honestly, who needs speed when you can just walk in and score with one hand!

Old
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Korolyuk15

Quote:

5. The old Jerseys were better

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014

And like that he costs his team the cup

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote