HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most physical team of all-time?

Old
05-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Mad Habber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
One of the best hip checkers of all-time IMO....his big butt sent many a player pinwheeling.

You also forgot Dallas Smith, (3rd in PIMs for the Bruins in the 70's), Ken Hodge wasn't shy in dropping the gloves, Bobby Schmautz, Carol "Punching Bag" Vadnais, Don Awrey, Al Secord, Brad Park, Hank Nowak, Darryl Edestrand, Gary Doak, etc..

Along with O'Reilly, Jonathan, Park and Milbury, the 80's Bruins had Cam Neely, Keith Crowder, Jay Miller, Lyndon Byers, Kenny Linesman, Nevin Markwart, John Blum, Geoff Courtnall, Ray Bourque, Randy Hillier, Jim Nill. Bruce Crowder, Larry Melnyk, Brian Curran, Brad McCrimmon, Allen Pederson.....
You're not naming any specific year, you're naming everyone who played per decades. Some of those names were not physicaly intimidating. Bourque was physical enough, but people weren't afraid of getting hurt by the guy. Some of those guys you listed were just as likely to start pounding on you after they gave you a body check. I wouldn't put Bourque or Park or McCrimmon, or Courtnall in that list. THe tough guys like Miller, Byers, O'Reilly are scary enough. The dirty guys like Linseman, Milbury, Markwart scare you because you know they are going to do something when the ref is looking the other way, and it's going to hurt.

Bourque, although he will not be intimidated will not intimidate you physically. More or a mental intimidation by his good play. If I don't watch him, he's going to score and the coach will sit me in the middle of the players bench and I won't move until the end of the game.

By naming off a decade, I can expand my list also:
Nilan, Kordic, Rooney, Corson, Lemieux, Richer, Robinson, Langway, Engblom, Chelios, Ludwig, Green, Carlson, Natress, Mailey, Tremblay, McPhee, Walter, Picard, Delorme, Hunter, Momesso, Skrudland. Mostly guys who took care of themselves but not all.
When needed, they brought in the likes of Brubaker, Fletcher, Baron.

The loose cannons are always the most intimidating. Nilan, Kordic, Chelios.

Last edited by Mad Habber: 05-29-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:13 PM
SealsFan

I think OP is asking for the most physical over the course of the team's history, not for one season or sequence of years. Tougher to answer, if that's the criteria.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Slapshooter

Chicago Blackhawks during early 90's was likely the most physical team at the time. Not only their roster had tough players, but Hawks' relentless playing style and a very small rink of the old Chicago Stadium produced a very hard-hitting game, especially in their home arena.

Blackhawks D-corps of the time was outright violent, led by Chris Chelios. Don't let his DRW-era fool you; Chelios was a total nutcase in his prime. One of the best d-men doing everything possible on the ice, but Chelios was also one of the dirtiest players for sure. He was backed up by other tough D-men like Steve Smith, Dave Manson, Bob McGill and Bryan Marchment. No forward liked to play against these guys. They were there to hurt people.

'Hawks forwards were led by Jermey Roenick and Steve Larmer. Young JR played much like Alex Ovechkin in his prime years. Steve Larmer was not especially physical, but a very hard working 2-way guy, a kind of coaches dream player. They were backed up by big, mean Adam Creighton and a hard nosed grinders like Dirk Graham, Brent Sutter, Wayne Presley and Brian Noonan.

In enforcer department Hawks had both Stu Grimson and Mike Peluso. Grimson was one of the toughest fighters while Mike Peluso had 320 PIM campaign in 1991 & 408(!) PIM in 1992.

You got players above coahced by prime Mike Keenan, so rock 'em, sock 'em -type of hockey was guaranteed. They did not win the Cup, but they still had an excellent win/lose ratio for a such rough-playing team.

Not saying early 90's Hawks was the most physical of all-time (70's Flyers likely take that prize), but they were one of the toughest teams. It was not so much about their roster, it was about Blackhawks systematically hard-hitting playing style at the time.

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
KickHimPedro

Maybe not the toughest ever, but if you're looking for guys to drop the gloves, the 1986 Saskatoon Blades were certainly up there:

Kevin Kaminsky
Kelly Chase
Tony Twist
Kerry Clark (Wendel Clark's younger, bigger, meaner brother)
Kory Kocur (Joey Kocur's brother, smaller and more of a skill player, but still a tough guy)
there were a couple other guys on the team who liked to fight as well.

A couple years before that you had Joey Kocur and Wendel Clark on the same team. The old arena was rockin in those days.

KickHimPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
barmbek76

Quote:
Honourable mention: The dynasty Islanders. Lots of warriors on that team
Gillies (few PIMs but feared even by the Ubergoons), Potvin (mean beast), Nystrom (a true Viking), Brent & Duane Sutter (Band of Brothers), Persson, Lane, Trottier... even the goalie was a tough, tough competition: Battlin' Billy Smith

barmbek76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:26 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickHimPedro View Post
Maybe not the toughest ever, but if you're looking for guys to drop the gloves, the 1986 Saskatoon Blades were certainly up there:

Kevin Kaminsky
Kelly Chase
Tony Twist
Kerry Clark (Wendel Clark's younger, bigger, meaner brother)
Kory Kocur (Joey Kocur's brother, smaller and more of a skill player, but still a tough guy)
there were a couple other guys on the team who liked to fight as well.

A couple years before that you had Joey Kocur and Wendel Clark on the same team. The old arena was rockin in those days.
Joey and Wendel are cousins I'm pretty sure. The wings would use Kocur to match up against him because they knew Clark wouldn't fight him and Kocur could just stick on him like glue without anything happening. If they had someone else shadow him Clarke would likely put them into next week

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Any team from pre-merger - 1967

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
I think OP is asking for the most physical over the course of the team's history, not for one season or sequence of years. Tougher to answer, if that's the criteria.
Yeah, this.

But the other aswers are insteresting too.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
GreatCanadian

If we're talking toughness/physicality over the life of a franchise, my instinct tells me Philadelphia would be #1.

After St Louis physically destroyed them in the playoffs in their first two seasons in the late 60s, they went out of their way to be tough. I can't recall Philly ever having a "soft" team, ever? Hell, for the longest time even their goalie (Hextall) was a fighter How many teams can say that ?

GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 09:19 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

The Ottawa Silver Seven of the early 1900's or Art Ross' Bruins of the 1930's.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote