HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz Part 2 (Update: Will not be a Duck according to Murray)

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2012, 08:56 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio2pointOh View Post
schultz wont help our defense out immediately. we need proven top 4 defensemen. if we only get yakupov and schultz we will still be a bad team next year.

we need to stop acquiring borderline dmen like the barker's, vandermeer's and fosters of the past and get established quality players.
That's not what the pro scouts are saying.

Last edited by TowMater14: 05-31-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
That's not what the pro scouts are saying.
like who?

do you honestly think a 22 year old ROOKIE dman would pull us out of the basement? i sure dont.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
We've been through much worse,
His acquisition alone? No, but we will also be adding a high end player at the draft and Hemsky should be healthy. Not to mention there might be a few other moves made to try to improve the club. I see no reason at all why Schultz wouldn't be an improvement on Potter or Barker.
i agree. but the argument was, just adding schultz alone to our defense would drastically improve it next year. which isnt the case.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
i agree. but the argument was, just adding schultz alone to our defense would drastically improve it next year. which isnt the case.
Less Potter, Pekcham and Barker would drastically improve the defense. That's what Schultz would mean.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Less Potter, Pekcham and Barker would drastically improve the defense. That's what Schultz would mean.
imo i doubt he does better defensively than any of them in his rookie year.

Old
05-31-2012, 09:57 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
like who?

do you honestly think a 22 year old ROOKIE dman would pull us out of the basement? i sure dont.
Of course not. But there is a big difference from making an impact to singlehandedly pulling a team out of the basement.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Eager4oil

Quote:
imo i doubt he does better defensively than any of them in his rookie year.
Your kidding right? I haven't seen the kid play at all but if MSM is saying this kid is a top 4 option on most NHL teams then he is CLEARLY better than all of those options. If Bob Mckenzie were to say he was a legit #5-6 dman I would still take him and dump all of the above. I really don't know how much worse than Barker you can get.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I want to continue discussion about schultz from the Yakupov thread here so that we can stay on topic.

There was a comment that in his rookie year, he wouldn't be an improvement over Potter/Peckham?

I disagree. When Gilbert came in after his 4 year stint, he was way more impressive than potter or peckham are now. If I'm not mistaken... Schultz would be coming in with a slightly more impressive resume than Gilbert?

+ we always hear scouts talk about the draft, how it's so much easier for basketball or football because 'those are 22 year olds just finishing University'. It's probably a much more clear picture for these scouts on a 22 year old, than an 18 year old. I don't think he'll have a HUGE impact. But he will certainly be better than Potter or Peckham

Old
05-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eager4oil View Post
Your kidding right? I haven't seen the kid play at all but if MSM is saying this kid is a top 4 option on most NHL teams then he is CLEARLY better than all of those options. If Bob Mckenzie were to say he was a legit #5-6 dman I would still take him and dump all of the above. I really don't know how much worse than Barker you can get.
he has top 4 potential. i doubt he's as defensively responsible at an nhl level as compared to barker, potter, peckham ect. next year.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:46 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

vCash: 50
When Smid is the biggest goal scoring threat (lead all Oilers dmen with 5 goals) on the defense you know there is something seriously wrong back there... and it wouldn't take much to improve things offensively back there. Paul Coffey's left sock could probably do as much offensively as all the Oiler dmen last season.

Saying that though... Schultz has yet to set foot on NHL ice and we don't know how he'll be defensively at this level. He could score 30+ points and yet be -30 for all we know... and that's even if he signs here of course which is likely a long shot when you consider how many other teams will be in the market for decent quality dmen.

To keep it on topic....

Don't be stupid Tambo.... DRAFT YAKUPOV.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
When Smid is the biggest goal scoring threat (lead all Oilers dmen with 5 goals) on the defense you know there is something seriously wrong back there... and it wouldn't take much to improve things offensively back there. Paul Coffey's left sock could probably do as much offensively as all the Oiler dmen last season.

Saying that though... Schultz has yet to set foot on NHL ice and we don't know how he'll be defensively at this level. He could score 30+ points and yet be -30 for all we know... and that's even if he signs here of course which is likely a long shot when you consider how many other teams will be in the market for decent quality dmen.

To keep it on topic....

Don't be stupid Tambo.... DRAFT YAKUPOV.

I still think any of us would take Cam Fowler right now.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:55 PM
vanoil81

From Bob McKenzie,

Dealing With Schultz

McKenzie: It's going to be very difficult for Anaheim Ducks general manager Bob Murray to make a deal involving defensive prospect Justin Schultz. He's certainly out there trying to make it happen and there's lots of teams interested. Every NHL team will want this guy when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, which is likely to happen before July 1 but I can see the Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Edmonton Oilers among others being extremely interested. But it's going to be tough for Murray to get anything for Schultz. It looks like he's going to unrestricted free agency.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
I still think any of us would take Cam Fowler right now.
Ugh definitely. I wonder what Tambellini would have had to do to move up around 10th.

I don't care if Schultz is -30 in his first season, as long as he produces on the PP and learns a thing or two about defense. Lots of guys are minus in their first NHL season, all it means is they're adjusting to playing a really difficult position in the best league in the world.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
like who?

I think our top scoring blue liner had a whopping 5 goals last season.
Sooo... pull us out of the basement? Maybe, maybe not. Help us score a lot more goals? Yes.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:12 AM
oilexport
six ring circus

I'm afraid their are too many Teams that are desperate for this guy. Some one will out bid us (overpay) and take the chance.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

You can't overpay on an ELC.
Thats the thing. Every team bidding for this guy will be able to offer the same contract.
The ball is completely in his court.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:21 AM
belair

Quote:
like who?

When Corey Potter plays 62 games in a season for your NHL team, there's definitely some room for improvement. He isn't going to shoot the lights out, but he's a free blue-chip prospect.

The one thing I wonder is if the Oilers manage to get him signed and he doesn't wow the coaching staff enough to shore up that spot in camp, does he report to OKC without a problem?

The guy hasn't even played an NHL game and you really wonder if the guy's going to be a diva.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

There's no way Schultz isn't playing in the NHL next season...

Old
06-01-2012, 12:37 AM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
There's no way Schultz isn't playing in the NHL next season...
I don't agree with this. He's a skinny kid who's put up some huge numbers in the NCAA two years running. What makes you so sure he's ready for the rigours of an 82-game NHL schedule?

I see that he's capable of securing a spot on a lot of teams now, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best method of bringing him into the league.

I mean, even Jake Gardiner spent (and is currently spending) some time in the AHL this season. Brendan Smith has spent two years in Grand Rapids after leaving Wisconsin.

The only reason I would be certain to have him in the Oilers line-up next season is because I see him as a clear upgrade on Corey Potter. But if that isn't the case or if someone else performs at camp, there shouldn't be any hesitation to send him to Oklahoma.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Oilers D-men (from last season) that Schultz is probably better than (IMO obviously)
-Barker
-Teubert
-Potter
-Peckham
-Sutton
-Plante
-Chorney
-Rodney
-Whitney (playing on one leg)

In other words, the only guys ahead of J Schultz on the Oilers depth chart are Petry, Smid, N. Schultz, and a fully mobile Ryan Whitney

Old
06-01-2012, 12:59 AM
oilexport
six ring circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You can't overpay on an ELC.
Thats the thing. Every team bidding for this guy will be able to offer the same contract.
The ball is completely in his court.
Thank-you, I stand corrected. Lets get this guy then !!

Old
06-01-2012, 01:19 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

And then there's always Fedun or one of the rookies in camp who may just surprise us this year.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I'll be surprised if Fedun can skate at an NHL level.

Old
06-01-2012, 01:22 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Based on what the medical staff are saying, I'll go with the belief that he can.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
I don't understand why Murray can't make a deal if he knows Schultz isn't signing with Anaheim. I'm sure there are teams that would offer conditional picks for him. Sure, not the best return, but better than nothing.

Closed Thread