HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz Part 2 (Update: Will not be a Duck according to Murray)

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 04:16 PM
swany

vCash: 500
Oilers are all in on Schultz he's the guy that all other domino's fall after. If the oil get Schultz they draft Yakupov and Gagner stays. They will make a call to Whitney and ask about the ankle if alls a go with him they will be done on the D if not they will make an offer to a UFA d man. Ebs will move to L.W. and play with RNH and Yak Hall Gagner and Hemmer. With Hartti comming on so good Smyth better decide if he wants the 2-2.5 mil or he will lose his spot on 3rd line left wing

Old
05-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Just a crappier version of treensoil imo.
Is that possible? Manbearpig is pretty crappy.

05-28-2012, 04:17 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Not wasting much in omark...and a conditional 2nd offers no risk, great reward.

talking to him early could benefit us greatly.
I don't think people realize how important it may be to talk to him first.
When was the last time a team traded for negotiating rights and didn't sign him? (I seriously don't know)

Old
05-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
When was the last time a team traded for negotiating rights and didn't sign him? (I seriously don't know)
Last year when Ehrhoff didn't sign with the Islanders.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
swany

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
He can talk to teams as of June 1st he just can't "offically" sign till July 1st the oil will know before the draft if he will sign here paving the way to draft Yakupov

Old
Cam98

oilers should offer a deal for schultz rights, omark straight up imo, we don't need him and if schultz doesn't sign well we got rid of a contract anyways.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And Pit traded for some guy's rights as well and failed to sign him.

Also, this situation couldn't be more different.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wasn't the Brian Leetch to the Oilers situation the same also? (the trade for rights, and he didn't sign situation)

Old
05-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
LOL not, good god.

If he doesn't have have a "favorite team", but can only Sign with Anaheim right now, how does trying to shoehorn him into making your team his "favorite" going to work with a trade?

If he wants to be an *insert team* he will be that regardless of any trade.

Also ask yourselves this, if he hasn't already decided, what can Edmonton SERIOUSLY offer that Anaheim can't, whether you trade for him or not?
The chance to be #1 defenseman, and play with an offensive core that includes the likes of Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Wasn't the Brian Leetch to the Oilers situation the same also? (the trade for rights, and he didn't sign situation)
Nope. That was some loophole in the CBA that allowed teams to get extra draft picks.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:24 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Brian Leetch was a way for us to get a compensary pick and for the Rags to get something for someone they didn't intend on re-signing. Loophole is now closed.

It happens every year though with rights, someone will go somewhere only to not sign. This is a bit different though. Guys like Erhoff have waited a lot of years to get a payday, Schultz on the other hand isn't exactly about money.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
The chance to be #1 defenseman, and play with an offensive core that includes the likes of Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky.
What's wrong with ANA's group?

Old
05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Quote:
And Pit traded for some guy's rights as well and failed to sign him.

Also, this situation couldn't be more different.
Thanks

And the situation could probably be more different.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Ask Schultz because it's pretty apparent that he has no desire of signing there.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Not as good.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Yes, giving something away for nothing is the best way to treat that thing. Or just "give away" Omark for something else, and then just sign Schultz, simple and effective. Also, realistic.
So trading Omark for a 4th or 5th or whatever he's worth is a better plan? How often do later picks actually work out? And I'm not sure how my trade idea is any less realistic than your idea of just signing him when he hits UFA.

Quote:
And who cares? Seriously, who cares who's on the "short list" The playing field as far as the contract he can sign is utterly and completely level, so in the end it's about where Justin Schultz WANTS TO GO. If your team isn't on his radar, throwing assets away to that end won't change that. Not sure what's hard to follow about this reality.
Yes it is Schultz's decision where he wants to play. But if he hasn't made up his mind 100% and wants to hear what certain teams would be willing to offer him in terms of PP time, linemates, etc getting our info out to him first could help sway him towards us. Let's face it, we aren't a prime UFA destination. Anything(within reason) we can do to increase our chances to sign him is worth it for a player of Schultz's ability imo.

I think you are valuing generic assets a bit too much. We have plenty of prospects. Another 5th for Omark and a 50-60 pick next year isn't exactly getting me all hot and flustered. I'd take a signed Schultz asset over those 2 assets any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Are we sure it's Eklund? I'm not saying the twitter account is accurate or legit or anything, but here is what he tweeted about Eklund earlier in the year:

http://twitter.com/InsideTheRink/sta...72615138844672

And here is another exchange with Eklund:

http://twitter.com/Eklund/statuses/172090716640645120

As I said, it was just something I had seen bandied around, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned anything. I do still advise caution on unverified twitter accounts though.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Koto

Quote:
Omark and the pick, assets for the organization. This notion that You require moving something in order sign Schultz...or else, is a complete misnomer.

As I said to Koto, a VERY likely scenario is moving Omark for a pick, keeping the 2nd and still Signing Schultz, seeing as EVERY TEAM CAN ONLY OFFER HIM THE SAME THING.
Ok the most were getting for omark is a 3rd...so thats all were risking.

sure a 3rd+2nd+shultz is better than just shutlz, but shultz is easily worth those two assets, and if we dont sign him all we lose is the 3rd.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Not as good.
Getzlaf (57 points) and Perry (60 points) are coming off of pretty poor years by their standards, they may have reached their peaks as players already.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Ok the most were getting for omark is a 3rd...so thats all were risking.

sure a 3rd+2nd+shultz is better than just shutlz, but shultz is easily worth those two assets, and if we dont sign him all we lose is the 3rd.
If you were trading for a SIGNED SCHULTZ, then sure, he's worth that, but you're not, so it's really kind of a waste if he would and could sign with you any way regardless.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:33 PM
joestevens29

Schultz and his agent have to have something narrowed down. No team is going to guarantee him anything. Teams can't even guarantee proven players time, let alone a kid that's never played at the pro ranks.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Schultz and his agent have to have something narrowed down. No team is going to guarantee him anything. Teams can't even guarantee proven players time, let alone a kid that's never played at the pro ranks.
I'm sure that they have a short list of teams where his services would be of best use, we have to be near the top of that list. I mean when Corey Potter was our top PP unit option on the point, that kind of says it all.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Yup, and Anaheim can offer him he same, with better weather, a more low key atmosphere, young talent that is already high-end in the NHL. Hell he will get to play with a Hart Trophy winner one year removed, and Edmonton's got these kids that are really good, but...

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to like about the Oilers going forward, but not SO much more then the Ducks.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
If you were trading for a SIGNED SCHULTZ, then sure, he's worth that, but you're not, so it's really kind of a waste if he would and could sign with you any way regardless.
There is no way Anaheim trades a SIGNED Schultz for scraps like a 3rd and Omark LOLOLOL

Old
05-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Yup, and Anaheim can offer him he same, with better weather, a more low key atmosphere, young talent that is already high-end in the NHL. Hell he will get to play with a Hart Trophy winner one year removed, and Edmonton's got these kids that are really good, but...

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to like about the Oilers going forward, but not SO much more then the Ducks.
Selanne can't play forever, Getzlaf (57) Perry (60) and Ryan (57) all had less than stellar seasons. Our guys haven't hit their primes yet, we are closer to his home province, and we haven't pissed him off into not wanting to sign with us. I like our chances better.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
There is no way Anaheim trades a SIGNED Schultz for scraps like a 3rd and Omark LOLOLOL
No doubt, that is wishful thinking at its best.

Closed Thread