HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz Part 2 (Update: Will not be a Duck according to Murray)

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Lowe in Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yup, and Anaheim can offer him he same, with better weather, a more low key atmosphere, young talent that is already high-end in the NHL. Hell he will get to play with a Hart Trophy winner one year removed, and Edmonton's got these kids that are really good, but...

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to like about the Oilers going forward, but not SO much more then the Ducks.

RNH 90 PT potential
Hall 90PT potential
Eberle 80 PT potential
Yakupov (80 PT potential)*
Hemsky 70PTS

VS.

Getzlaf 90 PT potential
Perry 80 PT potential
Ryan 70 PT potential
Who's next? Koivu? Cogliano?

Anaheim's forward group is nowhere near the Oilers'

ALSO, Anaheim is ENTERING a re-build (Thanks to Burke), and the Oilers are EXITING a rebuild.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:53 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yup, and Anaheim can offer him he same, with better weather, a more low key atmosphere, young talent that is already high-end in the NHL. Hell he will get to play with a Hart Trophy winner one year removed, and Edmonton's got these kids that are really good, but...
Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to like about the Oilers going forward, but not SO much more then the Ducks.
But yet here we are with Anaheim not having him signed...Omark plus Anaheim's second is not really that big a deal if it gets us our foot in the door. I truly believe that Edmonton would be a great choice for him and his career. Close enough to home, great hockey city to play in - fantastic potential situation for all involved really. He'd be able to come in here and easily play 2nd pairing minutes, and get some sweet PP time. Play a couple of years here, and see where it goes from there when he's a UFA.

I guarantee you that if he comes to Edmonton, that he'll receive a hefty pay increase after two years - either with Edmonton or another team. Not only that, but i have a feeling that the Oilers will be a force to deal with at that time and seriously contending for the cup.

I'd love to have the kid come here, and have him flourish with the incredible young talent we're gathering. He looks to be the real deal and fits with where we are in our rebuild perfectly.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
RNH 90 PT potential
Hall 90PT potential
Eberle 80 PT potential
Hemsky 70PTS

VS.

Getzlaf 90 PT Has done it and won a cup
Perry 90 PT Has done it, 50goals too, a cup and a Hart trophy

ALSO, Anaheim is ENTERING a re-build (Thanks to Burke), and the Oilers are EXITING a rebuild.
Again, not saying the Oilers don't have nice players going forward, but they aren't even close to what Anaheim's group has DONE, not yet anyway.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Again, not saying the Oilers don't have nice players going forward, but they aren't even close to what Anaheim's group has DONE, not yet anyway.
If he wanted to sign in Anaheim he would've done so already.

Obviously something there isn't a fit. My guess is he wants to play somewhere closer to home (B.C.) or somewhere with his friends (Gardiner in Toronto?).

If we have his rights though it gives a nice window to sell him on the Oilers. He already loves the city, so that's a huge hurdle that we don't have to worry about to begin with. Sell him on having 1st unit PP time and plenty of opportunity to play/develop here and have him sit down with RNH/Hall/Eberle. His family can come up from Kelowna quite easily to watch him play here.

After a few days he may be sold on us. If the cost is Omark + a conditional 2nd ... more than worth it. We're not likely to get anything big in return for Omark anyway and if he does sign here that it's worth the 2nd.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Obviously something there isn't a fit. My guess is he wants to play somewhere closer to home (B.C.) or somewhere with his friends (Gardiner in Toronto?).

If we have his rights though it gives a nice window to sell him on the Oilers. He already loves the city, so that's a huge hurdle that we don't have to worry about to begin with. Sell him on having 1st unit PP time and plenty of opportunity to play/develop here and have him sit down with RNH/Hall/Eberle. His family can come up from Kelowna quite easily to watch him play here.

After a few days he may be sold on us. If the cost is Omark + a conditional 2nd ... more than worth it. We're not likely to get anything big in return for Omark anyway and if he does sign here that it's worth the 2nd.
Problem is no team wants Omark.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
No kidding eh? That wasn't the point of this statement, it was in reference to "if Schultz doesn't have a favorite or a group of favorite teams mind" then how would you convince him to come to Edmonton? What can Edmonton offer that Anaheim can't, if he's still on the fence?

Old
05-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Problem is no team wants Omark.
Anaheim would take Omark + a conditional 2nd for Schultz IMO. That's a pretty decent return on an asset that is never going to play for you.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
No kidding eh? That wasn't the point of this statement, it was in reference to "if Schultz doesn't have a favorite or a group of favorite teams mind" then how would you convince him to come to Edmonton? What can Edmonton offer that Anaheim can't, if he's still on the fence?
- Edmonton's his favorite city. That to me is key, not because I give a rat's ass whether he likes the city or not, but that is generally a big problem for us with UFAs, and in this case it may actually be a benefit (go figure).

- Edmonton is close to his home town, so his family/friends can watch a lot of his games.

- We can offer a lot of 1st unit PP time as we don't have any other big time right handed shots on the PP. A lot of time in general really. He could move up our ranks awfully quick. If he wants to play and produce immediately I think we're a better fit than most places. We're still in our "rebuild honeymoon phase" too, so he's not going to get killed for making a mistake here. A veteran team like Vancouver? Not so much.

- Again, chance to play with what could be the pre-eminent forward group in the NHL after Pittsburgh (maybe even above Pitt if Crosby never gets over his issues). Three 1st overall picks and then Eberle too is a highly, highly unique situation.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
McShogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What's wrong with ANA's group?
The Ducks have a pretty solid group of core players with Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne and Vishnovsky, plus some solid young players like Fowler, Etem and Smith-Pelley. It's a pretty solid group and I can't see why he wouldn't want to sign with them. The Oilers forward core might have more potential and will probably be with the team longer then the ducks core but here's how I think the players compare.

RNH vrs Getzlaf: Getzlaf has proven to be one of the top centers in the NHL, he has probably 6 good years left, RNH should be able to outscore him by his 3rd year. Both are great playmakers but for the long term I'd give the edge to RNH.

Eberle vrs Perry: I think last year was an abnomally for Perry, I can't see him getting over 80 points again in his career yet I think we'll see many 80+ point seasons from Eberle. Eberle will probably never win the Hart or Rocket trophy but I think he'll be the better player in the long run.

Hall vrs Ryan: This is a tough one, both players are young and play a similar game. I'd give the edge to Ryan since h's proven to be more durable and has scored over 30goals in every season. Once Hall is able to play an entire season he should be able to outscore Ryan.

Yakupov vrs Selanne: Odds are Yakupov will never reach the kind of numbers that the Finnish Flash has achieved but since Selanne is on the tail end of his career this gives a huge advantage to Yakupov.

Whitney vrs Vishnovsky: Vishnovsky is almost retired, Whitney needs a bounce back year. I don't think both will be with their teams in a few seasons.

Petry vrs Fowler: I think Petry peaks as a #2 Dman while Fowler has Norris trophy potential. Fowler with the advatage here.

The Ducks are still a failry young team with some serious potential but I just don't think that they'll be in the same league as the Oilers in 5 seasons. Maybe Schultz wants to grow with a young team and achieve something special. He would automatically become our top young Dman and would just have to live up to the hype.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
ZedenoCiger

Dude on the prospect board says its the Rangers. Near bottom.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...187075&page=23

Old
05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
- Edmonton's his favorite city. That to me is key, not because I give a rat's ass whether he likes the city or not, but that is generally a big problem for us with UFAs, and in this case it may actually be a benefit (go figure).

- Edmonton is close to his home town, so his family/friends can watch a lot of his games.

- We can offer a lot of 1st unit PP time as we don't have any other big time right handed shots on the PP. A lot of time in general really. He could move up our ranks awfully quick. If he wants to play and produce immediately I think we're a better fit than most places. We're still in our "rebuild honeymoon phase" too, so he's not going to get killed for making a mistake here. A veteran team like Vancouver? Not so much.

- Again, chance to play with what could be the pre-eminent forward group in the NHL after Pittsburgh (maybe even above Pitt if Crosby never gets over his issues). Three 1st overall picks and then Eberle too is a highly, highly unique situation.
So you're saying you missed the point, that's fine. lol.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, I feel like the Oilers do have a nice chance to sign him, but realistically you missed the point of what I was saying.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:37 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
I think this factor is getting blown out of proportion.

He listed Edmonton as his favourite city to visit back in 2008. That seems like a fairly obvious choice for a Kelowna kid who probably hadn't been too far from home.

It's been four years and he's been 3/4th of the way across the continent now. I doubt his answer would be the same today.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I think this factor is getting blown out of proportion.

He listed Edmonton as his favourite city to visit back in 2008. That seems like a fairly obvious choice for a Kelowna kid who probably hadn't been too far from home.

It's been four years and he's been 3/4th of the way across the continent now. I doubt his answer would be the same today.
Soundwave is providing facts, you are purely speculating.

What should hold more weight?

Old
05-28-2012, 07:49 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
RNH 90 PT potential
Hall 90PT potential
Eberle 80 PT potential
Hemsky 70PTS

VS.

Getzlaf 90 PT potential
Perry 80 PT potential
Ryan 70 PT potential

There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin. I love how Yakupov, who has yet to play in the NHL, has the same potential as a player who has already won the Hart trophy and scored 80 points.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Soundwave is providing facts, you are purely speculating.

What should hold more weight?
You think him saying that Edmonton was his favourite place to visit four years ago makes it a fact that Edmonton is his favourite city now?

Old
05-28-2012, 07:54 PM
McFuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedenoCiger View Post
Dude on the prospect board says its the Rangers. Near bottom.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...187075&page=23
No disrespect to you in any way, shape or form but until I see it from a legit source with a link I personally don't buy into the "a friend of a friend who knows player 'X' said he's signing with __________" type stuff.

That said did one poster not claim he had inside info about Schultz's intentions and he P.M.'d one of the moderators who his source was and that mod in turn, stated it was seemingly very legit information?

Old
05-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin. I love how Yakupov, who has yet to play in the NHL, has the same potential as a player who has already won the Hart trophy and scored 80 points.
Honest question, when you think of a 1st overall pick that's a forward do you not think of a player that has roughly a point/game potential?

Stamkos, Kane, Tavares, Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, and Thornton have all had at least 1 80 point season.

Rick Nash had a 79 point year in 78 games.

So why is it exactly that we should expect him to not at least reach 80 points in a career year when many of these guys didn't have the same offensive firepower surrounding them as Nail will if we draft him?

05-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I have no clue where Schultz will end up but I will say that if he is signing in Toronto or NY just so he can play with his buddies...then the kid is a moron and not someone I want on my team. If he has a specific place in mind because he loves the organization or city or it's close to home then that's different, although still not likely a great career move. If he has no place in mind and just wants to play where he will have the best shot to step right in and make the most of his career which would be the intelligent thing to do then he will be an Oiler. I can't figure out of the life of me why he isn't signing with the Ducks, but since he's not I would say from a career stand point there isn't a better place for him then Edmonton.

All this talk about it being the Leafs or the Canucks or Rangers just makes no sense to me from his point of view because those teams are loaded moving forward on the blueline and I'm certain if he struggled out of the gate none of those teams would hesitate to go back on there word and send him to the minors which I'm sure he is looking to avoid. Burke perhaps wouldn't but then again who says Burke would promise him that? No kid fresh out of college would be hurt by spending time in the AHL, but again I'm guessing he is looking to have no part of it.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
No disrespect to you in any way, shape or form but until I see it from a legit source with a link I personally don't buy into the "a friend of a friend who knows player 'X' said he's signing with __________" type stuff.

That said did one poster not claim he had inside info about Schultz's intentions and he P.M.'d one of the moderators who his source was and that mod in turn, stated it was seemingly very legit information?
I haven't heard an update from that poster for awhile, I should probably PM him and see if he's heard anything since.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
The consensus number one pick always has ppg potential. If he didn't project to superstar status he wouldnt be the consensus. Your arguement is fundamentally flawed in going against his potential.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark here and guess the answer is....Because literally every scout believes this?

Old
05-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Ranford

Quote:
You think him saying that Edmonton was his favourite place to visit four years ago makes it a fact that Edmonton is his favourite city now?
Exactly. By that logic, Raffi should still be my favorite musician. When I was a teenager the WEM was my favorite place on earth. Then I got an education, got a job, grew up and saw the world. It wouldn't even be in my top 100 places to visit anymore. The fact that Edmonton was his favorite city is (sadly) a moot point now.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Unless someone asks him today, we really don't know, it's speculation either way.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
RNH 90 PT potential
Hall 90PT potential
Eberle 80 PT potential
Hemsky 70PTS

VS.

Getzlaf 90 PT potential
Perry 80 PT potential
Ryan 70 PT potential

Ales Hemsky isn't ever going to hit 70 points again.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Ales Hemsky isn't ever going to hit 70 points again.
Probably not, but never say never.

Closed Thread