HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto's goaltending situation

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 01:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bang Bang View Post
Great, the Leafs would prefer to have Schneider too!
You probably would. But it'll cost you Gardiner and the 5th overall. Don't want to pay it? That's fine. We'll move him to Columbus or Tampa then

Enjoy Reimer.

05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
You probably would. But it'll cost you Gardiner and the 5th overall. Don't want to pay it? That's fine. We'll move him to Columbus or Tampa then

Enjoy Reimer.
Listen...i like Schnieder, but 65 games don't warrant that. Guess we'll have fun with Reimer.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Johnny Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I think most acknowledge that it isn't ideal. If Luongo was on, say a two year contract, then the asking price would be much higher and the list of suitors would be longer. Teams would be paying a fortune to acquire a top ten goalie.
... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT he's not on a 2 yr. contract, so we can toss this out the window!

Even you admit that Vancouver's trading position isn't ideal, which is what I've been saying from the start. HENCE, Luongo's trade value is significantly decreased.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

This thread is awesome. I feel like I should be eating popcorn instead of drinking my morning coffee.

Leaf fans need to realize that Burke is going into this year with one goal: To save his job.

In order to do that he needs to get a top ten goalie. I doubt he risks his job by playing Vokoun, so the obvious choices would be Luongo and Bernier, with Luongo being the more proven goalie, making him a bit of a safer pick.

If Burke needs to win now, and he does in order to save his job, then he goes with Loungo.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
arsmaster

What do Leafs fans think they can sign Vokoun to?

Both in cap hit and term?

Old
05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Thats actually true too negative value player
Not true...the pick is worth something.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
What do Leafs fans think they can sign Vokoun to?

Both in cap hit and term?
I think I read someone suggesting $3M per year for 2 years

Old
05-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Listen...i like Schnieder, but 65 games don't warrant that. Guess we'll have fun with Reimer.
this, if you compare cory and reims numbers in their first season they are pretty much similar in the same amount of games:

cory had 16 wins in 25 games played (GAA 2.23 SV% 929) with 1 SO
reims had 20 wins in 37 games played (GAA 2.59 SV% 920) with 3 SO

having said both goalies have proved squat to warrant a top 5 pick lol maybe a decent prospect but if you think you can get a top 5 pick for schneider, you need to get your brains checked out

Old
05-30-2012, 01:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:
... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT he's not on a 2 yr. contract, so we can toss this out the window!

Even you admit that Vancouver's trading position isn't ideal, which is what I've been saying from the start. HENCE, Luongo's trade value is significantly decreased.
I acknowledged that from the very start if you actually read my posts. What I said was that neither Gillis nor Burke is dealing from a position of great strength so the payment for Luongo will be somwehere in the middle of where both set of fans are predicting. If Burke had a lot of other options then his bargaining position would be higher but in my view he really has very limited options. If Gillis had Luongo on a two year deal then he would have more leverage but he doesn't. I hope that my position is now clear.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Johnny Bang Bang

Quote:

Enjoy Reimer.
Again. The Leafs will acquire:
- A veteran goalie (most likely) and it doesn't have to be Luongo.
- Their goalie for the future

I love how YOU'RE taking the "take it or leave" approach when you have absolutely nothing to do with the trade.

Tampa. Yzerman went on record last week saying that they're looking for "their goalie for the future." So unless that's Schneider, it doesn't appear that a deal with Tampa is happening.

Columbus. They're in rebuild mode, so again, unless it's Schneider, it doesn't appear that a deal with Columbus is happening either.

It appears that Vancouver's trading partners are THIN!

Old
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
this, if you compare cory and reims numbers in their first season they are pretty much similar in the same amount of games:

having said both goalies have proved squat to warrant a top 5 pick lol maybe a decent prospect but if you think you can get a top 5 pick for schneider, you need to get your brains checked out
Good post. It's a wonder Vancouver won the President's Trophy the last two years with those two plugs, Schneider and Luongo in net.

By the way, what were Reimer's numbers this past year. What were Schneiders'?

Old
05-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Johnny Bang Bang

Quote:
I think I read someone suggesting $3M per year for 2 years
That was me. So what do you think Vokoun is worth?

Old
05-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:

Schenn and Ashton are both young 1st round picks. If you think Burke is going to trade either, let alone BOTH of these players both he has a chance to accurately evaluate them under Carlyle's defensive systems, YOU ARE DREAMING!

Vancouver is far from dealing from a position of strength and we both know that.
I would drive Luke and Carter to the airport.

The other point, people are missing, is that the D-corps and the goalies, haven't had a chance to see if Carlyle to get them to play his system.

Old
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post

This is why I have absolutely zero sympathy for Leaf fans when Toronto misses the playoffs, and they all look around at each other in dumbfounded confusion, wondering just how in the hell that could possibly happen.

You just compared Cory Schneider to James Reimer.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Again. The Leafs will acquire:
- A veteran goalie (most likely) and it doesn't have to be Luongo.
- Their goalie for the future

I love how YOU'RE taking the "take it or leave" approach when you have absolutely nothing to do with the trade.

Tampa. Yzerman went on record last week saying that they're looking for "their goalie for the future." So unless that's Schneider, it doesn't appear that a deal with Tampa is happening.

Columbus. They're in rebuild mode, so again, unless it's Schneider, it doesn't appear that a deal with Columbus is happening either.

It appears that Vancouver's trading partners are THIN!
LOL and who will Toronto acquire?

Funny how you say what Toronto will do when you have absolutely nothing to do with the Leafs front office

Old
05-30-2012, 01:54 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
This thread is awesome. I feel like I should be eating popcorn instead of drinking my morning coffee.

Leaf fans need to realize that Burke is going into this year with one goal: To save his job.

In order to do that he needs to get a top ten goalie. I doubt he risks his job by playing Vokoun, so the obvious choices would be Luongo and Bernier, with Luongo being the more proven goalie, making him a bit of a safer pick.

If Burke needs to win now, and he does in order to save his job, then he goes with Loungo.
If Burke gets fired he'll find a job within a year. What if we make the playoffs and then Lu begins to decline? Now we have no more assets. Working with fear is stupid, every GM and coach knows that. Maybe you would make stupid decisions when you're afraid, but I doubt Burke would. He knows now what happens when you're impatient, and end up trading first rounders. Even then he got a young, talented winger.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
If he stays in the NHL, which I don't see happening, he'll sign somewhere for $4.5-5M.

Old
UniverStalinGraduate*

My guess is the Leafs strike out on Vokoun and overpay for a fringe goalie who won't put up much better numbers than Gustavvson because it wasn't the goalie that was the problem, but the team.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
veedubn1

Just a friendly reminder:

Vancouver acquired Luongo in his prime for Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Auld and Bryan Allen. Oh.. and he wasn't signed to an outrageous contract at the time.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Vokoun left a ton of money on the table taking a one year deal with Washington to search out a cup. Since that didn't work out for him, I forsee him signing a similar deal to Nikolai Khabibulin's 4 years @ 3.75-4.5/per year.

Keep in mind that Vokoun is over 35 and even if he retires his contract will count against the cap. There is risk there too.

I could see him wanting at minimum 3 years.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:57 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post

Vancouver acquired Luongo in his prime for Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Auld and Bryan Allen. Oh.. and he wasn't signed to an outrageous contract at the time.
Unsigned Luongo.

His RFA rights.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:57 PM
vanwest

Quote:

And that is generally viewed as one of the most one sided trades of all time. Up there with some of Mike Milbury's deals.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

So a premier power forward who Keenan loved, a decent young goalie, and a solid young second pairing defenseman.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

So because Keenan made a stupid trade because he had a hard on for Bertuzzi that has relevance to what's happening today?

Old
05-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
If Burke gets fired he'll find a job within a year. What if we make the playoffs and then Lu begins to decline? Now we have no more assets. Working with fear is stupid, every GM and coach knows that. Maybe you would make stupid decisions when you're afraid, but I doubt Burke would. He knows now what happens when you're impatient, and end up trading first rounders. Even then he got a young, talented winger.
So you doubt that Burke would make a dumb decision when fighting to keep his job, then point out that he already has, even when there was almost no pressure at all. Okey dokey then.

Closed Thread