HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto's goaltending situation

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2012, 09:24 PM
The K Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
People talk so much about how the LEafs were one of the youngest teams in the league...

Can someone tell me who the young players on the Leafs from last year who they expect to get better are? Outside of one player, Jake Gardiner, I don't see a single other "young" player as having any real potential compared to where they're at now.

The "youngest team in the league" was and is nothing more than a way for Burke to spin things so his situation looked better.

Considering wehre most of the Leafs' best players are in terms of their contracts the Leafs SHOULD have been a contender last year, and if they'd had some good veteran support (bye bye youngest team in the league excuse) they might have better weathered the loss of Lupul last year.

People have been saying why the Leafs will contend "next season" for so many years...I see no reason why they will be any closer to a playoff spot next year. There are other teams who will ALSO get better.
Improving from last year? Well, there's Kessel who's only 24 and can get better, Kulemin will be better than last season, Grabo is probably near his prime right now, but may still be able to increase his production, Kadri and Frattin will be more experienced and have added weight. Oh, and outside of Liles and Komi, our entire D core should be more experienced including Phaneuf, Schenn, Gunnarson, Gardiner, and even Franson.

Can't forget about Reimer who started well, but after a concussion played like crap, but is also only 24, very young for a goalie.

That's a lot of young players that will keep improving.

Last edited by The K Man: 05-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old
05-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Burke is using the media in an attempt to lower the value of luongo,schneider, kipper, thomas, or whoever he intends on going after.

Seen it before Burkie.
That probably would make sense if the reporter was someone other than Steve Simmons. Burke absolutely LOATHES this guy, and actually called him a "dirtbag" in a interview with TSN radio earlier this year.

There's no way that Burke would talk to this guy other than doing the mandatory pressers from time to time.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
As much as The Star is a joke, it's not THAT much of a joke. Simmons writes for the Sun I believe.
The only paper that I find credible for Leaf news and rumours is the National Post. Anything by the left leaning Toronto Star or the ridiculous tabloid rag Toronto Sun, I would take with a grain of salt.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
The denial Vancouver fans are in is starting to get funny. The following players have requested trades and not got them:

So he will likely be traded.

No trade clause, with a list which has two teams needing goalies. Toronto, Tampa.

Steve Yserman has said he will try to sign a goalie not trade.

Hmmm boy Vancouver has a lot of options now don't they ? Buy out Luongo or Trade him to Toronto. Well far better to have a cap hit for 10 years for a buy out than to get stuck with a bad contact for a year or two.

Getting the picture ?

Luongo is a great goalie, one of my favorites and his contract is just fine for all the time he is in his prime. Problem is, not a lot of options.

1. Have a cancer in the dressing room who doesn't want to be there

2. Have a cap hit for years for a guy playing somewhere else when he resigns as a free agent.

3. Trade him and hope to get something useful in return and swallow a short term bad contract.

Hmmm what would I do ?

Any sane GM would take number 3. Yes it is possible Luongo's list will get larger or a good team will express interest changing his mind, but not many will want the contract. Oh did I mention this summer has a ton of decent goalie options all of which while not as skilled a Luongo will also all be cheaper and not need 10 year deals.

Got the picture yet ? Bite the bullet, take a Colby Armstrong (or similar) and a low pick and say good bye and move on. Vancouver simply has few options , a small market and little control. You may not like it but that is reality, so come to terms with it. Possible a tiny bidding war starts but you can be sure some cap is going back to the Canucks. Get over it, say good bye and move on. The team may not be Toronto, maybe its Chicago but either way you will not get the value of a player of Luongo's talent due to all the circumstances I have just described. So stop complaining that these imaginary offers that mean nothing anyway aren't good enough because when the deal does go down you will be lucky to get one thing (pick or prospect) that you actually like about the deal. This is not our fault, it's Cory and Roberto's.
your post is either mis-informed or intentionally critical and argumentative towards Canuck fans.

1) Luongo has publicly stated that he would waive his NTC if that's what the team wanted
2) Luongo has not submitted a list of teams to the Canucks as of Friday May 25th, so how you know the number of teams and the names of the teams on said list is very confusing to me.
3) Of coarse SY said he isn't looking to trade for a starting goalie, he's playing his cards close to the vest but if he misses out on free agency he will make a trade (not necessarily Luongo, but a drafted goalie does nothing for the Lightning, so they WILL either sign or trade for a goalie this off season).
4) He isn't a cancer, never has been - just a poor judgement call by you.
5) Luongo would be retained by the Canucks 100% rather then buy him out.
6) We could keep Luongo and trade Schneider
7) I agree that the Canucks should be listening to offer that are of lesser value then what Luongo's value should be, but if Armstrong (or similar) and a late pick is he best offer then the Canucks don't make the trade.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Burke would be smart to sign Vokoun but make sure the contract does not include any no-trade or no-movement clauses.
Let Vokoun compete in camp and pre-season games with Reimer and Scrivens and the two best goalies stay!
IF Vokoun is not one of those, waive him or let him go the KHL. If he is, great...allows more time for Reimer, Scrivens, Rynnas and Owuya to develop OR be a trade chip.

Far better than giving up the king's ransom that deluded canuck fans are demanding for Luongo and his outrageous contract!

Also, at $1.5 or even with a raise to $2 million, Vokoun's cap hit will not prevent the Leafs from fitting Rich Nash into their line-up (actually Reimer could be a big part of the package to acquire him).
Vokoun will be over 35 next season, his salary will count against the cap even if we waive him and he goes to the KHL.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:42 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post

Howard
Franzen

Kessel
Reimer
Kadri
1st 2013
Wings get fleeced.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:44 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I dont' know...do you think he is going to get much better?

If so, you can count him...I'd be shocked if the (soon to be) 25 year old Kessel got much better.

Now that's not to say that if the Leafs get a better center for their top line Kessel can't put up better numbers...but the question is who are the young players on the leafs who will get much better? Not who will put up better numbers if they play with a better center?

But anyways, good to see a name put forth. I'm sure the (soon to be) 25 year old Phil Kessel is just scratching the surface of his talents...
So with your logic Schneider at 27 is on a down hill slope from now.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Super Schenn Bros
Hup Holland Hup!

vCash: 536
Toronto should sign Michael Leighton, or you guys can have Bryz for a bag of pucks...

Old
05-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkmtv com View Post
Wings get fleeced.

Thanks for the funny.

No way in hell I do that from Toronto's POV.

05-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
your post is either mis-informed or intentionally critical and argumentative towards Canuck fans.

1) Luongo has publicly stated that he would waive his NTC if that's what the team wanted
2) Luongo has not submitted a list of teams to the Canucks as of Friday May 25th, so how you know the number of teams and the names of the teams on said list is very confusing to me.
3) Of coarse SY said he isn't looking to trade for a starting goalie, he's playing his cards close to the vest but if he misses out on free agency he will make a trade (not necessarily Luongo, but a drafted goalie does nothing for the Lightning, so they WILL either sign or trade for a goalie this off season).
4) He isn't a cancer, never has been - just a poor judgement call by you.
5) Luongo would be retained by the Canucks 100% rather then buy him out.
6) We could keep Luongo and trade Schneider
7) I agree that the Canucks should be listening to offer that are of lesser value then what Luongo's value should be, but if Armstrong (or similar) and a late pick is he best offer then the Canucks don't make the trade.
1. I think that would be the Canucks first choice, but may change when they see the offers.
2. I thought he has asked for a trade now though? Can't say I've followed the situation very closely, could be wrong on that.
3. Agreed, but we still don't know if Luongo will be on GMSY list of targeted players if it comes to that.
4. I think the reference to Luongo being a cancer is if he asked for a trade (which I thought he has now) but then isn't traded, he likely won't be happy with management and could become a cancer. Thus far in his career he has been a team player, could change.
5. Agreed, Canucks won't buy him out with the current rules of buying out players, you simply won't put a cap hit on your team and paying a player for 20 years to come, waaaay to long. If CBA lets that change, it's possible he could be, BUT, CBA won't be done until late this summer/later it is thought to Luongo could already be gone by then.
6. You could indeed keep Luongo and trade Schneider, but I think everyone knows the Canuck fans and Canuck management would rather trade Luongo and keep Schneider.
7. If it is a lowball offer that is the best Canucks can get, I as well think they keep him. Couple months into a season a team could get goalie injuries/goalies sucking and they could become desperate and raise their offer. Canucks and the teams trading for him though would all rather have the deal done before the season starts, this would be a risk keeping him in my opinion. Luongo will want to start games, if he isn't starting I think he will become unhappy (won't say it publicly though) and this is where the Luongo being a cancer could happen.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossgalov View Post
Toronto should sign Michael Leighton, or you guys can have Bryz for a bag of pucks...
Bag of pucks for Bryz? Makes sense, it's not like the team needs the pucks to practice shooting on Bryz, he just lets them all by him anyways

Old
05-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
1. I think that would be the Canucks first choice, but may change when they see the offers.
2. I thought he has asked for a trade now though? Can't say I've followed the situation very closely, could be wrong on that.
3. Agreed, but we still don't know if Luongo will be on GMSY list of targeted players if it comes to that.
4. I think the reference to Luongo being a cancer is if he asked for a trade (which I thought he has now) but then isn't traded, he likely won't be happy with management and could become a cancer. Thus far in his career he has been a team player, could change.
5. Agreed, Canucks won't buy him out with the current rules of buying out players, you simply won't put a cap hit on your team and paying a player for 20 years to come, waaaay to long. If CBA lets that change, it's possible he could be, BUT, CBA won't be done until late this summer/later it is thought to Luongo could already be gone by then.
6. You could indeed keep Luongo and trade Schneider, but I think everyone knows the Canuck fans and Canuck management would rather trade Luongo and keep Schneider.
7. If it is a lowball offer that is the best Canucks can get, I as well think they keep him. Couple months into a season a team could get goalie injuries/goalies sucking and they could become desperate and raise their offer. Canucks and the teams trading for him though would all rather have the deal done before the season starts, this would be a risk keeping him in my opinion. Luongo will want to start games, if he isn't starting I think he will become unhappy (won't say it publicly though) and this is where the Luongo being a cancer could happen.
I agree, good assessment. I think Gillis' first choice is to trade Luongo at the draft, second choice would be by the end of August, but if NHL GM's share even half the distain for Luongo as this board does, then the Canucks are better off keeping Luongo, trading Schneider for a max return (prospect and a 1st I would think) and wait for Lack/Cannata/Honzik to develop into an NHL starter and readdress the situation then.

Old
05-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I agree, good assessment. I think Gillis' first choice is to trade Luongo at the draft, second choice would be by the end of August, but if NHL GM's share even half the distain for Luongo as this board does, then the Canucks are better off keeping Luongo, trading Schneider for a max return (prospect and a 1st I would think) and wait for Lack/Cannata/Honzik to develop into an NHL starter and readdress the situation then.
Personally I'm fine if we got Luongo and I realize that he will take a late first round (prospect of that value in the leafs case) at the very least for him. That said, I would rather if we can get someone like Vokoun in UFA or Kipper/Thomas in trade instead. Just a vet to hold over a couple years until Reimer/Scrivens/someone else can take the starting role. Luongo no doubt makes the team better, but would overshadow our goalie of the future for too long which could hamper his development causing us to once again have no good goalies and we would have to go through a season like last all over again (but not for another 5 years or something like that). Also never know what could happen in those 5 years, a new CBA is coming now and in 5 years another would be looming, who knows what changes they will bring. Also every year they have the research and development thingy to look at possible changes, maybe one change will be very drastic changing which goalies are good (such as smaller/bigger nets, different shaped nets, more/less zones where goalies can't play the puck etc). Have to find the right balance of good team now but also in the future. Luongo is good now, but may not be so good for the future, have to wait and see. Enjoy this wall of text

Old
05-28-2012, 02:12 PM
wreckingcru

hi

Would you guys rather trade for Luongo or sign Vokoun or Harding?

Old
05-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Why do you guys think bernier would cost a lot? A 2nd+prospect would probably get him, I cant see his value much higher than bishops. Also would leaf fans be interested in enroth?
There reason why they do is they watch him play from tyime to time ????

He is an elite goalie prospect andd will leave the Kings just for an excellent
offense prospect.

This is the reason why he isn't traded.....

Period

Old
05-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
Would you guys rather trade for Luongo or sign Vokoun or Harding?
Sign Vokoun our Harding hands down.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
crazyforhockey

dont think Bernier helps the leafs as they want an experinced goalie to complement Reimer and maybe eventualy scrivens.

Bernier is good (not this year) and he is a smaller goalie

think Leafs look at Luongo Harding and Voukon...not in that order

Old
05-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Sign Vokoun or Harding hands down.
Doubt Burke goes down that road again (re: no proven starter between the pipes). One wasted year was enough.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:11 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Doubt Burke goes down that road again (re: no proven starter between the pipes). One wasted year was enough.
Do agree with that(also would be worried about injuries with harding) .....

also statment sounds like it can be applied to TB and Stevie Y looking at FA or draft to get a goalie

one other goalie if price is right (because of 1 year left and whitehouse stuff) Thomas

Old
05-28-2012, 03:23 PM
mokspeed

Leafs are only interested in established (veteran) goaltenders.

IMO the order would be:

Luongo (ONLY if the price is right)
Vokoun
Harding
[insert list of old vet goalies]
[insert list of unproven young goalies with "lots" of potential]

Old
05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
There reason why they do is they watch him play from tyime to time ????

He is an elite goalie prospect andd will leave the Kings just for an excellent
offense prospect.

This is the reason why he isn't traded.....

Period
I don't speak gibberish, can you type this in English please?

Old
05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
ddawg1950

I understand that Leaf fans wish to portray the market for Luongo as limited. They want their GM to get a top flite goalie without losing much from their team...which they see poised to make the playoffs and just missing that one piece. And I think this mirrors Burke's feelings as well. The Leafs just need a top flite goalie to get them in and start competing for the real prize.

One of the things that hasn't been mentioned much is the pressure Burke is under to get this legitimate number one goalie. Year after year (after year) of rock bottom finishes allows me to conclude that the pressure is really on him now. Once more out of the playoffs and his ass is fired...from one of the top GM jobs in the league...the center of the universe. He is facing rejection for failure.

For all his bluster, Burke at least knows this to be true.

So maybe there is Thomas, possibly Kipper and then Luongo. Outside of those three, the other names being thrown about are not legitimate number one goalies. Kipper and Thomas are boh eligible for Oldtimers Hockey and neither one of them will come cheap either.

All the media posturing at this point is smoke and mirrors. The Canucks have a legitimate, top flite goalie on a low cap hit contract, available. He won't get anyone of those three for spare parts.

IMO, Burke ponies up or faces getting canned.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:58 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I understand that Leaf fans wish to portray the market for Luongo as limited. They want their GM to get a top flite goalie without losing much from their team...which they see poised to make the playoffs and just missing that one piece. And I think this mirrors Burke's feelings as well. The Leafs just need a top flite goalie to get them in and start competing for the real prize.

One of the things that hasn't been mentioned much is the pressure Burke is under to get this legitimate number one goalie. Year after year (after year) of rock bottom finishes allows me to conclude that the pressure is really on him now. Once more out of the playoffs and his ass is fired...from one of the top GM jobs in the league...the center of the universe. He is facing rejection for failure.

So maybe there is Thomas, possibly Kipper and then Luongo. Outside of those three, the other names being thrown about are not legitimate number one goalies. Kipper and Thomas are boh eligible for Oldtimers Hockey and neither one of them will come cheap either.

All the media posturing at this point is smoke and mirrors. The Canucks have a legitimate, top flite goalie on a low cap hit contract, available. He won't get anyone of those three for spare parts.

Voukoun is absolutley a starting goaltender in this league.

Burke has stated time and time again that he believes Reimer will be the future #1 for the Leafs. He's going to make a push for a band-aid goaltender. Voukoun fits the bill. Not a Luongo, or a Kipper. Thomas is the most likely out of the ones you listed, and even then I doubt he trades with them again, Boston might not even be willing to move him within the division. Vancouver fans keep telling us we're bad partners and now you're trying to push him on us. TB is gonna push for Bernier or maybe Enroth, Florida has Markstrom. The market for Luongo is thin enough, forget his list, or his massive contract. You need to prepare yourself for the return in store.

Old
05-28-2012, 03:58 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post

Agreed. Gillis is under some pressure to move Luongo but Burke is also under a lot of pressure to get a starting goaltender. People have tried to argue that Kipper will be on the market every year for at least the last 3 years but he continues to be in a Flames uniform every September. And there is no indication that Thomas is available. If Burke goes into next season with a Scrivens/Reimer combination then he won't be doing his job. He knows he needs to get help. There's not a lot of quality golatenders available.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
Voukoun is absolutley a starting goaltender in this league.

Burke has stated time and time again that he believes Reimer will be the future #1 for the Leafs. He's going to make a push for a band-aid goaltender. Voukoun fits the bill. Not a Luongo, or a Kipper. Thomas is the most likely out of the ones you listed, and even then I doubt he trades with them again, Boston might not even be willing to move him within the division. Vancouver fans keep telling us were bad partners and now you're trying to push him on us. TB is gonna push for Bernier or maybe Enroth, Florida has Markstrom. The market for Luongo is thin enough, forget his list, or his massive contract. You need to prepare yourself for the return in store.
Based on last year, relying on Reimer would be irresponsible of Burke. In public, I can understand why Burke is speaking highly of Reimer. But Burke knows that he needs a real solution this year. He's under a lot of pressure to improve and make the playoffs. More importantly, public statements aside, he's a smart enough man to know that a Reimer/Scrivens combination is simply not going to cut it. He will grow more desperate as the lack of options becomes evident.

Closed Thread