HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto's goaltending situation

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
ChillyPalmer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Based on last year, relying on Reimer would be irresponsible of Burke. In public, I can understand why Burke is speaking highly of Reimer. But Burke knows that he needs a real solution this year. He's under a lot of pressure to improve and make the playoffs. More importantly, public statements aside, he's a smart enough man to know that a Reimer/Scrivens combination is simply not going to cut it. He will grow more desperate as the lack of options becomes evident.
Trading away prospects for a 33 year old goalie with a 10 year contract is irresponsible.

If Burke trades even more pieces of the future, for a right now solution, he'll definitely lose his job.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:11 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
There reason why they do is they watch him play from tyime to time ????

He is an elite goalie prospect andd will leave the Kings just for an excellent
offense prospect.

This is the reason why he isn't traded.....

Period
what hes trying to say i think is theres a reason why the kings think hes worth more the a 2nd and propect. He thinks you need to try watching him play to realize his worth. The only reason remier has better numbers is he played more games . I think its hard to get into a grove when u only play 16 games which is ruffly every 20 ish days. But i have been wrong when translatling him before

Old
05-28-2012, 04:12 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
Trading away prospects for a 33 year old goalie with a 10 year contract is irresponsible.

If Burke trades even more pieces of the future, for a right now solution, he'll definitely lose his job.
The status quo is not acceptable for Burke. He'll take on what is effectively a 6 year contract for Luongo if there are no other options out there. He needs a starting goalie. Reimer could some day develop into that but based on his play last year Burke would be foolish to put much stock in that happening.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Vokoun will not get 3.5
And he will not get only 1.5. He's a better goalie than that. If he gets less than 3 I will be surprised. However, this 3 will be on a short term. And by short term I mean 1-2 years.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
And he will not get only 1.5. He's a better goalie than that. If he gets less than 3 I will be surprised.
Yzerman wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't offer Vokuon more than that. I too would be shocked if he gets less than $4 million. What legit starter in this league that isn't a RFA/on a ELC that makes less than $5 million? He or his agent miscalculated last year - don't see that happening again (especially with Tampa needing at least a decent short-term goalie that isn't going to cost them any assets).

Old
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Yzerman wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't offer Vokuon more than that. I too would be shocked if he gets less than $4 million. What legit starter in this league that isn't a RFA/on a ELC that makes less than $5 million? He or his agent miscalculated last year - don't see that happening again (especially with Tampa needing at least a decent short-term goalie that isn't going to cost them any assets).
I don't think it was miscalculation necessarily, but moreso he took a cut to play for a team he wanted to play for to try and win a cup.

It just didn't work out. But yea, I wouldn't be surprised if July 1st it goes as high as 4 per. People might scoff at it, but it's not that bad a contract if its 1 or 2 years. Which means if he sucks, you're not stuck with it for very long.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:51 PM
KingCanadain1976

Was there not a rumour thread a while ago saying Vokuon was close to signing in the khl the new loti club

Old
05-28-2012, 04:56 PM
lefty2time*

I think leaf fans over estimate Reimer ...
He'll be a fringe no.1 goalie imo.

I bet that if the leafs made it aware to all the other gms in the league "reimer is available for a trade" he would get close to 0 interest.

Where if a player like j. bernier was made available...there would be at leaset 4 or 5 teams offereing something for him.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Was there not a rumour thread a while ago saying Vokuon was close to signing in the khl the new loti club
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...hl-possibilit/

Old
05-28-2012, 05:05 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Burke is not getting any players from Vancouver via trade.

Toronto might be Bryzgalov's next stop. It is remotely possible Rinne will move, too.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:06 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Voukoun is absolutley a starting goaltender in this league.

Burke has stated time and time again that he believes Reimer will be the future #1 for the Leafs. He's going to make a push for a band-aid goaltender. Voukoun fits the bill. Not a Luongo, or a Kipper. Thomas is the most likely out of the ones you listed, and even then I doubt he trades with them again, Boston might not even be willing to move him within the division. Vancouver fans keep telling us we're bad partners and now you're trying to push him on us. TB is gonna push for Bernier or maybe Enroth, Florida has Markstrom. The market for Luongo is thin enough, forget his list, or his massive contract. You need to prepare yourself for the return in store.
Nope not trying to push him on you guys at all. I just think he is the best goalie who is available...and he may not even be available. Gillis will do what is best for the Canucks. If he decides that a Schneider trade benefits the team more, he wil pull the trigger on that and ride it out with Lou. And there would be lots of major offers around Schneider

But we could go back and forth on all that day. It seems obvious that Burke needs a goalie to get him into the playoffs. He's tried band aids with the Gus, Jiggy even Toskla and did not even come close to the post season. He never did get the goaltending situation sorted out in Vancouver and it cost him.

My main point is this: If he tries to cheap out and misses again, he will be fired.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:07 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
I think leaf fans over estimate Reimer ...
He'll be a fringe no.1 goalie imo.

I bet that if the leafs made it aware to all the other gms in the league "reimer is available for a trade" he would get close to 0 interest.

Where if a player like j. bernier was made available...there would be at leaset 4 or 5 teams offereing something for him.
Bernier was what? the 12th overall pick? If you compare him and Reimer's career stats I don't think there would be much of a difference.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

Toronto might be Bryzgalov's next stop. It is remotely possible Rinne will move, too.
Lol what?

Old
05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Scurr

I think it's foolish to think Burke is going to make the right move considering his history with goaltenders. That means T.O. fans are most likely right, he'll grab someone out of the bargain bin, miss the playoffs and lose his job.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:35 PM
ehMase

Quote:

I could definitely envision a top goalie in the league signed to a fresh deal being moved, too.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

Pages and pages, and it seems like the majority of posts are people talking about Luongo. Mostly non-Canuck fans bringing him up. And most of these people (imo delusionally) claiming how poor of a goalie he is. OK, fine. Then why bring him up? Vancouver doesn't want to trade Luongo anyways. Vancouver enjoys having 2 elite goalies: it gives so many extra options and securities ie. in case of injury, sickness, perhaps just strategy, etc. etc.

And for the record, Luongo has not asked for a trade, at least to anyone's knowledge on here, as our GM has stated so. In fact, all Luongo has said is that he wants to do whatever helps the team the most. He said this to Vancouver's GM a few days ago, and he also said this to the media, in the big press conference after the playoffs, which you can watch yourselves on Youtube.

So I really truly mean this when I say: Good luck with your goaltending, with Vokoun, or Hasek, or Roloson, or whoever you guys get. Or good luck with Reimer, maybe he can show to be something that I haven't seen in him up to this point. Just leave Luongo to Vancouver and stop discussing (bashing) him.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Why would either of those happen?

Old
05-28-2012, 05:57 PM
CrazyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Toronto acquires Antii Niemi for Nik Kulimen

Than

Sharks acquire Luongo

Canucks acquire Marleau.
I don't know if that is feasible from NTC perspective, but I would be happy with that trade.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:06 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
Pages and pages, and it seems like the majority of posts are people talking about Luongo. Mostly non-Canuck fans bringing him up. And most of these people (imo delusionally) claiming how poor of a goalie he is. OK, fine. Then why bring him up? Vancouver doesn't want to trade Luongo anyways. Vancouver enjoys having 2 elite goalies: it gives so many extra options and securities ie. in case of injury, sickness, perhaps just strategy, etc. etc.

And for the record, Luongo has not asked for a trade, at least to anyone's knowledge on here, as our GM has stated so. In fact, all Luongo has said is that he wants to do whatever helps the team the most. He said this to Vancouver's GM a few days ago, and he also said this to the media, in the big press conference after the playoffs, which you can watch yourselves on Youtube.

So I really truly mean this when I say: Good luck with your goaltending, with Vokoun, or Hasek, or Roloson, or whoever you guys get. Or good luck with Reimer, maybe he can show to be something that I haven't seen in him up to this point. Just leave Luongo to Vancouver and stop discussing (bashing) him.
Yup, you're 100 percent right. Lu did not ask for a trade, AV misspoke, and Gillis cleared everything up. He's totally happy splitting the load, and the Canucks are more then happy to keep both. This is all a huge media creation.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Lint07

Quote:
Totally.

It is also remotely possible that I will fly to the moon next weekend.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Edgeworth*

The Leafs could use Luongo, I think people are lying when they say they dont want a top 5/top 8 goaltender in the League with Lou. I'm also amazed at people regarding prospects so highly. This guy is a proven top goaltender, an elite goaltender, he won a gold medal with Canada and helped his team to the Stanley Cup Finals (where honestly I blame Vancouver's D and their inability to score over Luongo's goaltending.) Toronto's prospects will probably end up 2nd/3rd line guys, at least a lot of them look to be in that situation, that's not bad, if they all look to be NHL players that's great and a lot of them look like they could play in the show, the problem is at some point you have to cut the cord and trade them for upgrades and if you can move guys like Kadri, like Colborne, who may not have a future with this club for a while, and instead pick up a certain #1 goaltender why wouldn't you?

I wouldn't say Toronto lacks options. I really wouldn't. Vokoun, Luongo, Niemi all seem to be available and they're pretty good goaltenders, add ontop a possibility of Biron as a veteran back-up, Hedberg if he isn't re-signed, or Harding as a potential #1 and Toronto is not at a loss for options. People are blowing this out of porportion.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:

What pieces of the future? The future Leaf line-up is probably going to start with Lupul - blank - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - blank

That means Colborne unless he becomes a 1C, and Kadri unless he becomes a very good LW, don't really have any room to play here. Why not trade for a #1 goaltender, who cares what his age is? Would you have traded for Thomas last year knowing the performance he'd give? Hellyes you would.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:34 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
What pieces of the future? The future Leaf line-up is probably going to start with Lupul - blank - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - blank

That means Colborne unless he becomes a 1C, and Kadri unless he becomes a very good LW, don't really have any room to play here. Why not trade for a #1 goaltender, who cares what his age is? Would you have traded for Thomas last year knowing the performance he'd give? Hellyes you would.
I'm talking about those asking for Gardiner or the 5th overall pick. I'm not even willing to give up Kadri or Schenn.

Captain Hindsight huh? Look at what happened to the Av's. You think they would make that trade in hindsight? I would love to have Lu on this team. I think he's a top 7-8 goalie in the league. I'm just looking at what goalies usually get traded for and the return is never that large. Even when Lu was getting traded in the prime of his career without a massive contract, wasn't bringing in a good haul.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:

People have scoffed at you for that, but I can see it happening for sure. Personally I feel that if Suter leaves Nashville, the owners will no longer be willing to spend as much and go back to being a cap floor team. Before when they were a cap floor team, they didn't have any high end players, just developed a lot of prospects to stay competitive. Rinne's 7m per year for a long term (2018/2019 season) may be too much for them. I don't give it a big chance, but maybe a 25% chance he gets moved IF Suter leaves (Weber would be traded in this case as well).

Old
05-28-2012, 06:44 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
I wouldn't say Toronto lacks options. I really wouldn't. Vokoun, Luongo, Niemi all seem to be available and they're pretty good goaltenders, add ontop a possibility of Biron as a veteran back-up, Hedberg if he isn't re-signed, or Harding as a potential #1 and Toronto is not at a loss for options. People are blowing this out of porportion.
I don't see many options. First, the Leafs aren't the only team who will be looking for a goalie. Will Vokoun be interested at his age in going to a rebuilding team? Maybe, maybe not. How many other teams will be after him? Harding could be available but I'm not convinced he's a starter but more of a back up type. Again, others may be interested. That's pretty thin stuff. Now this could change if Kipper or Thomas goes on the market but right now I'd say that's pretty unlikely.

Closed Thread