HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colorado Avalanche prospects poised to make an impact in 2012-13

Old
11-16-2012, 07:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Colorado Avalanche prospects poised to make an impact in 2012-13

Despite having a rather shallow system outside of the pro ranks, the Colorado Avalanche slowly amassed one of the deepest pools of professional prospects in the NHL. From Stefan Elliott to Michael Sgarbossa and Mark Olver, the team has a wealth of pro prospects able to make the jump to the NHL when called upon. Throw in four goaltending prospects in the minors with the potential to play in the NHL, and the upcoming season promises to be worth watching for the Avs' prospects.

The number of pro prospects is a positive for the Avs, because the amount of top-end talent in their junior and amateur ranks is woefully low.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Drizzt1

Very interesting article.

Stefan Elliott was by far my favorite rookie, and I had the highest of expectations of him coming into this past off season. I thought he would tear up Lake Erie this season, but he seems to have hit a productive road block. That being said, my personal opinion, which may be completely wrong, is that Elliott may have been told to solely focus on his defensive side of his game, as that was clearly his weakness at NHL levels. I also think this instruction may have come from Sacco, Billington or someone on Avs staff, so my criticism of him may be quite off, and he may be doing EXACTLY what is being asked of him.

For mine, Tyson Barrie on the defensive side, and Michael Sgarbossa on the offensive sides are our most exciting prospects. I'm even taking Hishon / Siemens into calculations when I say that.

My honest opinion though, is that none of our rookies may be given an opportunity though, unless we are very much flooded with injury, and my personal feeling is that we have provided the hockey gods with enough injured players in the past three to four years to appease for the next four or five.

On offense, we have Mcginn, Stastny, Jones, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Downie, Hejduk, Duchene, Parenteau, Mcleod, Mitchell, Kobasew then VDG / Connolly / Olver before any raw rookie might get a shot.

Defensively, we have Johnson, Zanon, O'Brien, Wilson, O'Byrne, Hejda, Hunwick before rookies are sought. I also wouldn't be surprised if Pock was bought up before any of Elliott, Barrie or Gaunce.

Those things aside, I think the biggest tragedy in our rookie prospect pool is Joey Hishon. What a waste for the poor kid. He had all the skills and talent. I kind of likened him to Marty St. Louis. A real shame his career has stalled.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Good read, much better than the Fall's top 20.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote