HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 12th Overall

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Sabres to draft 12th?
Olli Määttä 6 5.77%
Cody Ceci 13 12.50%
Sebastian Collberg 7 6.73%
Zemgus Girgensons 39 37.50%
Brendan Gaunce 36 34.62%
Hampus Lindholm 0 0%
Derrick Pouliot 0 0%
Thomas Wilson 3 2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Matty K

vCash: 500
Does Grigs have a higher ceiling than any of the other Centers projected to go before him?

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Eh? If anything showed this year, it was how much they missed Backstrom when he was hurt. They have no reason to focus on defense as a positional need -- they'll go BPA.

You may be able to land Wilson at 21.
Hell be gone in between 15-19 OV book it(some team will trade up to draft him)

He has Clowe/Lucic potential and brings those intangibles that are rare to the physical part of the game(see Kassian)

Old
05-28-2012, 11:24 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty K View Post
Does Grigs have a higher ceiling than any of the other Centers projected to go before him?
Him and galchenyuk have similar ceilings I would say, big drop after those two

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
CeCi or Gaunce or Girgenson, would be disappinted with any of them though
The only Defensemen I would even consider taking are Griffin Reinhart and Morgan Reilly(if he somehow falls for whatever reason)

Trouba has bust written all over him he's the next Cam Barker.

We have the ammo to move up and if we don't come out of the 1st Round with a Solid Center Prospect or without Reinhart/Reilly it will be considered a failure.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Him and galchenyuk have similar ceilings I would say, big drop after those two
I meant Zemgus Girgensons and would appreciate a Player Profile on him as well. I know the Profile on Grigorenko already.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:41 AM
heartsabres*

You people voting for ZG know he is atleast 4-5 years probably closer to 4 to seeing the NHL.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

He has Clowe/Lucic potential and brings those intangibles that are rare to the physical part of the game(see Kassian)
Why is every power forward the next Lucic or Clowe?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

He may. I don't think a good playoff is enough to push him into that area but it's possible someone really likes him and takes him in that range. As for comparables... he could be a stable Ben Eager from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
You people voting for ZG know he is atleast 4-5 years probably closer to 4 to seeing the NHL.
Not that different than most draft picks.

05-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

I went with the BPA, which is Ceci IMO. I'll also add that I expected more out of Gaunce this year after his performance at Hlinka, yet each time I saw Belleville live (three times), they laid an egg and got shelled by their opponents, which makes it hard for me to pump his tires based on recaps/highlights.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
what else does your crystal ball say?

You have this thing about NCCA prospects...

Quote:
I dont like the fact that a prospect going to college is 3-4 years from the NHL. I take Gaunce
Chris Kreider was drafted out of High School, before going to BC... And he was in the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (making a difference), less then 3 years after being drafted.

Nick Leddy was drafted the same year... out of high school... He went to UofMin for 1 year, and now he's an NHL regular, less then 2 years after being drafted, he was in the NHL

klye palmierri, went to Notre Dame after being drafted in the same 1st round... He spent 1 yr at Notre Dame, before going pro and bouncing between the AHL and NHL

Colin Wilson, drafted 2008, spent 1 more season at BU after being drafted before making the Preds.

Ryan MCdonagh, 2007, spent 3 years at Minny, before going right to the rangers.

Nick Bjugstad 2010.... he's in his frist year at Minny... you think it's going to take him another 3-4 years to make the NHL?

This idea that collegiate prospects take longer is absurd...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I went with the BPA, which is Ceci IMO. I'll also add that I expected more out of Gaunce this year after his performance at Hlinka, yet each time I saw Belleville live (three times), they laid an egg and got shelled by their opponents, which makes it hard for me to pump his tires based on recaps/highlights.
Ceci's a good choice as BPA.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
DJN21

I'd love to land Wilson with our other pick from Nashville but idk if he'd come even close to droppng that far so id be tempted to take him if Faksa was off the board...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 11:34 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Chris Kreider was drafted out of High School, before going to BC... And he was in the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (making a difference), less then 3 years after being drafted.

Nick Leddy was drafted the same year... out of high school... He went to UofMin for 1 year, and now he's an NHL regular, less then 2 years after being drafted, he was in the NHL

klye palmierri, went to Notre Dame after being drafted in the same 1st round... He spent 1 yr at Notre Dame, before going pro and bouncing between the AHL and NHL

Colin Wilson, drafted 2008, spent 1 more season at BU after being drafted before making the Preds.

Nick Bjugstad 2010.... he's in his frist year at Minny... you think it's going to take him another 3-4 years to make the NHL?

Right. The top end College players usually don't stay longer than 2-3 years before going pro. The CHL players stay 2 years in juniors and then go pro.

So you're really looking at maybe one extra year in college. But sometimes college players don't need as much AHL time. Chris Butler played 3 years in Denver after being drafted, then went pro and in his first pro year finished the season as a regular in the NHL lineup.

Some players need more time. But the high end prospects are typically ready much sooner than your average college player. And Girgensons is a high end prospect (or he wouldn't be a 1st rounder).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:17 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Right. The top end College players usually don't stay longer than 2-3 years before going pro. The CHL players stay 2 years in juniors and then go pro.

So you're really looking at maybe one extra year in college. But sometimes college players don't need as much AHL time. Chris Butler played 3 years in Denver after being drafted, then went pro and in his first pro year finished the season as a regular in the NHL lineup.

Some players need more time. But the high end prospects are typically ready much sooner than your average college player. And Girgensons is a high end prospect (or he wouldn't be a 1st rounder).
Plus, there is no guarantee that ZG will go to UVM.

The team that drafts him could steer him to Kelowna. And given the Sabres past ties with the Rockets........

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

The team that drafts him could steer him to Kelowna. And given the Sabres past ties with the Rockets........
Ever since he started playing, his goal has been to get a scholarship so he can go to college in the US. I think he's almost definitely going to UVM. He was even asked if he would consider going to Kelowna, he said no.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

He seems like a guy who is very loyal. He gave his word to UVM and I doubt he goes back on it...he absolutely loved the place.

(Which is another positive...he's a guy who very easily could be a career Sabre, hometown discounts and all of that we pick him).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Ever since he started playing, his goal has been to get a scholarship so he can go to college in the US. I think he's almost definitely going to UVM. He was even asked if he would consider going to Kelowna, he said no.
Trust me, NHL teams can be very convincing on that front.

I'm sure it will come up in his interviews with teams and if he's dead set on going to UVM, it wouldn't surprise me if a few teams downgraded him as a result.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why is every power forward the next Lucic or Clowe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He may. I don't think a good playoff is enough to push him into that area but it's possible someone really likes him and takes him in that range. As for comparables... he could be a stable Ben Eager from what I've seen.

Not that different than most draft picks.
From what I've heard Wilson has improved his offensive skills dramatically throughout the Season in Plymouth and have heard nothing but improvement from him. He goes to the net hard and is a bruiser and if the offense could translate to the Pro Level why can't he be the next Lucic/Clowe?

Old
05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
DJN21

Quote:
From what I've heard Wilson has improved his offensive skills dramatically throughout the Season in Plymouth and have heard nothing but improvement from him. He goes to the net hard and is a bruiser and if the offense could translate to the Pro Level why can't he be the next Lucic/Clowe?
I've loved what Ive seen from him so far. I honestly believe he could end up with a better nhl career numbers and intangibles wise than guys like Gaunce who dont project much higher than 3C's. I feel our need for depth at center however has us willing to take guys like Gaunce without even looking at wingers...

Ideally we could pluck Faksa somehow and then Wilson slips somehow too, or We trade Nashville's pick with say,Leopold to move up and take Wilson...

Old
05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I hate the idea of chasing the "next Lucic or Clowe" with a 1st round pick. Just as likely, he may be the "next Colton Gillies or Kyle Beach." Stockpile frontline talent in the 1st round and look for those other guys in the mid- to late-rounds, where guys like Marcus Foligno, Dwight King, and Clowe himself have been drafted. Heck, Lucic wasn't even nabbed until #50.

If they want to take a shot on one of the power forward types who'll take longer to develop, fine, but I hope it's not in the 1st round.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I hate the idea of chasing the "next Lucic or Clowe" with a 1st round pick. Just as likely, he may be the "next Colton Gillies or Kyle Beach." Stockpile frontline talent in the 1st round and look for those other guys in the mid- to late-rounds, where guys like Marcus Foligno, Dwight King, and Clowe himself have been drafted. Heck, Lucic wasn't even nabbed until #50.

If they want to take a shot on one of the power forward types who'll take longer to develop, fine, but I hope it's not in the 1st round.
I usually agree but I feel the drop-off in talent from picks 1-11 and then rest of the first round or two is so drastic that nearly everyone after that Reinhardt/Faksa range is risky(granted any and every pick is ik this.) I really like Gaunce's style of play though I dont see him ever topping a third line center. A guy like Wilson could land anywhere from 1st to 4th line winger depending on the scout you talk to....

this years draft will def be interesting, ideally Id love for us to somehow get into the top 6 that way one of grigs,alex,forsberg,murray will be available for us

Old
05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

So I was thinking about some possible trades during the draft weekend. Darcy was interviewed a few months ago and several times since about how many picks they have and prospects and possibly making some moves come draft day. Here are a few I could think of realistically happening, others should add some as well. These are designed in order to best meat both teams needs, as well as hopefully landing Galchenyuk or Grigorenko and if that fails trading up to get Faska.

BUF

12th Overall, 21st Overall, McNabb

NYI

4th Overall, Josh Bailey

BUF

12th Overall, 40th Overall, McNabb

NYI

4th Overall

BUF

12th Overall, 21st Overall, 40th Overall, Brennan

CBJ

2nd Overall

BUF

12th Overall, 21st Overall

MIN

7th Overall

BUF

12th Overall, 40th Overall

CAR

8th Overall

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:00 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

wow out of the 5000000000 college prospects you have come up with 8

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:11 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
So I was thinking about some possible trades during the draft weekend. Darcy was interviewed a few months ago and several times since about how many picks they have and prospects and possibly making some moves come draft day. Here are a few I could think of realistically happening, others should add some as well. These are designed in order to best meat both teams needs, as well as hopefully landing Galchenyuk or Grigorenko and if that fails trading up to get Faska.

BUF

12th Overall, 21st Overall, McNabb

NYI

4th Overall, Josh Bailey

BUF

12th Overall, 40th Overall, McNabb

NYI

4th Overall

BUF

12th Overall, 21st Overall, 40th Overall, Brennan

CBJ

2nd Overall

BUF

12th Overall, 21st Overall

MIN

7th Overall

BUF

12th Overall, 40th Overall

CAR

8th Overall
I would be stunned if the Sabres could get the Isles to bite on picks + McNabb for a top 5 pick. There is even a smaller chance that the Blue Jackets bite on picks + Brennan for the 2nd overall pick.

And the Carolina and Minnesota deals will all depend on whether those teams have "their guy" at that spot or not. Who knows if that will happen...

Old
05-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
wow out of the 5000000000 college prospects you have come up with 8
why would i look at anything other then the last few years... and first round picks only

(since we are talking about the first round)

as usual, you have no facts

So i came up with 8 examples, over the last 5 years, that disprove your theory... why don't you look at the last 5 years worth of 1st rounders (since we are talking about a first round pick in Zemgus Girgensons)... and you give me examples.

I got 8 examples... how many you got?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote