HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 12th Overall

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Sabres to draft 12th?
Olli Määttä 6 5.77%
Cody Ceci 13 12.50%
Sebastian Collberg 7 6.73%
Zemgus Girgensons 39 37.50%
Brendan Gaunce 36 34.62%
Hampus Lindholm 0 0%
Derrick Pouliot 0 0%
Thomas Wilson 3 2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
why would i look at anything other then the last few years... and first round picks only

(since we are talking about the first round)

as usual, you have no facts

So i came up with 8 examples, over the last 5 years, that disprove your theory... why don't you look at the last 5 years worth of 1st rounders (since we are talking about a first round pick in Zemgus Girgensons)... and you give me examples.

I got 8 examples... how many you got?
All the guys who've been drafted in the top-20 and went the college route have had pretty good early success.

James van Riemsdyk
Ryan McDonagh
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ian Cole

Colin Wilson
Jake Gardiner

Nick Leddy
Chris Kreider

Derek Forbort
Nick Bjugstad
Beau Bennett

Going the college route isn't as much a concern as the pro-Gaunce contingent wants to make it. Have good OHL boys like Zack Kassian and Peter Holland made more of an impact than Chris Kreider? Have Ryan Ellis (OHL) and David Rundblad (SEL) made more of an impact than Chris Kreider? The idea that the OHL guy (Gaunce) will almost certainly be more NHL-ready and make an impact sooner is bunk.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:51 PM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Going the college route isn't as much a concern as the pro-Gaunce contingent wants to make it. Have good OHL boys like Zack Kassian and Peter Holland made more of an impact than Chris Kreider? Have Ryan Ellis (OHL) and David Rundblad (SEL) made more of an impact than Chris Kreider? The idea that the OHL guy (Gaunce) will almost certainly be more NHL-ready and make an impact sooner is bunk.
I think the brunt of HS' argument is that because Girgensons is going the college route, he's farther off as he'll look to attain a degree.

Even if that's the case, again, why does it matter? Buffalo has four picks in the top-45 of the draft. They have the flexibility to draft long-term prospects. Girgensons doesn't have to step in right away.

I'd rather have Girgensons than Gaunce because there's a good chance he'll be a better player. I don't care how long it takes for him to get there as Buffalo isn't a rebuilding club that's going to rush a prospect anyways.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I would be stunned if the Sabres could get the Isles to bite on picks + McNabb for a top 5 pick. There is even a smaller chance that the Blue Jackets bite on picks + Brennan for the 2nd overall pick.

And the Carolina and Minnesota deals will all depend on whether those teams have "their guy" at that spot or not. Who knows if that will happen...
I Agree. Was just thinking about what possible moves Regier would be able to make. I really do think he will try his best to move up to get a better pick with everything he has at his disposal. Looking forward to draft weekend, hopefully I can snag some tickets! Cant wait!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:48 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
All the guys who've been drafted in the top-20 and went the college route have had pretty good early success.

James van Riemsdyk
Ryan McDonagh
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ian Cole

Colin Wilson
Jake Gardiner

Nick Leddy
Chris Kreider

Derek Forbort
Nick Bjugstad
Beau Bennett

Damn that's an impressive list. That pretty much ruins the theory that going to college is a major concern especially considering there's no guarantee the player will got for 4 full years (in fact, it's a rarity).

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Damn that's an impressive list. That pretty much ruins the theory that going to college is a major concern especially considering there's no guarantee the player will got for 4 full years (in fact, it's a rarity).
Hell if you go back even just a year further to the 2006 draft that list becomes even more impressive.

Erik Johnson
Jonathan Toews
Phil Kessel
Kyle Okposo
Trevor Lewis

Also keep this in mind, the last time the Sabres had a top 10 pick they took Thomas Vanek who went where? That's right the NCAA route to play for Minnesota.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I dont like the fact that a prospect going to college is 3-4 years from the NHL. I take Gaunce
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
You people voting for ZG know he is atleast 4-5 years probably closer to 4 to seeing the NHL.
care to recant?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The average NCAA player may stay for 4 years.

But the cream of the crop, top ones almost always don't. And when you're using a 1st rounder on one...you're dealing with the cream of the crop.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
The average NCAA player may stay for 4 years.

But the cream of the crop, top ones almost always don't. And when you're using a 1st rounder on one...you're dealing with the cream of the crop.
exactly

taking Gaunce over Girgensons because you think Girgensons is going to take longer to make the NHL BECAUSE he's going the NCAA route, is a just wrong

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Hell if you go back even just a year further to the 2006 draft that list becomes even more impressive.

Erik Johnson
Jonathan Toews
Phil Kessel
Kyle Okposo
Trevor Lewis

Also keep this in mind, the last time the Sabres had a top 10 pick they took Thomas Vanek who went where? That's right the NCAA route to play for Minnesota.
And the last top 10 pick before that was... oh god Erik Rasmussen. Not using this to argue either side of the point, just thought of him when you said last Sabre draft pick drafted top 10.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Zip15

Interesting that neither Dallas (Collberg) nor Calgary (Ceci) paid Gaunce much mind after he had so much support on this board. I still think the Sabres can get him in that 17-18 range if they're able to trade up.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Interesting that neither Dallas (Collberg) nor Calgary (Ceci) paid Gaunce much mind after he had so much support on this board. I still think the Sabres can get him in that 17-18 range if they're able to trade up.
I wish this poll was public so we could actually see if the votes came from the Sabres board or not. #conspiracytheorist

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I wish this poll was public so we could actually see if the votes came from the Sabres board or not. #conspiracytheorist
I'm pretty sure it was public at one point, wasn't it? I swear I looked at the results and who voted for which prospect.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was public at one point, wasn't it? I swear I looked at the results and who voted for which prospect.
Yes, when I voted it was public. However, when I came back later to review the poll and post who I voted for, it was private.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Yes, when I voted it was public. However, when I came back later to review the poll and post who I voted for, it was private.
I recall looking at the voters, and not seeing more than one or two whose names I haven't seen before around here. I don't think it was swung by outside influences.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
It still is. Click on the number of votes next to any of the names to see who voted.

The vast majority of Sabres fans are pretty much split on Girgensons/Gaunce, as we'd expect. If other team fans voted, it doesn't look like they swayed it one way or another--the simple fact is this board is almost 50/50 between the 2.

(Well, maybe 45/45...with the other 10 going to Ceci).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote