Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Calgary-Tampa

To Calgary:
Vincent lecaviler
Keith Aulie

To lightning:
Jay bouwmeester

Why:both teams swap bad contracts to fill their needs. Tampa needs help on D and Calgary needs a #1 C ( I know lecaviler isn't considered by many a 1C anymore but I think he would still put up good numbers with iggy and tangs,cammy,etc…) the flames also get Keith Aulie a big strong D who has showed he can play big minutes in toronto when he was paired with phanuef. Also their are many top 4 D available this free agency the flames can sign to fill in some of bouwmeester's minutes. My ideal signing would be carle. Linup after trade:

Tanguay,lecaviler,iggy
Cammy,backlund,Glencross
Cervenka,stajan,stemp/moss/?
Bouma/Aliu,jones,jackman

Giordano,Aulie
Butler,carle
Brodie,sarich/Hannan/?
Smith

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:12 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I doubt Tampa Bay moves there captain for Jbo and I am a Jbo supporter.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

*feel free to swap any of cervenka,backlund,stajan around

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:35 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I still think Vinny is a #1 centre, but he's had to slip behind stamkos on the depth chart. I wouldn't do it because Vinny still has a scary contract. He makes more than Iginla, and he's signed till 2020.

It's not like Vinny is rocking 100 pt seasons anymore, but he'll be paid like will until he's 40 yrs old.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Medium Rare*

Flames can't afford to move Bouwmeester, even for a #1 center.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
This.

Our D would become a glaring weakness, and would expose Kipper more to high quality scoring chances.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:06 AM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yup, unless we sign Suter, we cant do this

FlamesFan6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:00 AM
SaneQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOko5sPS5IE

What about this?

SaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:36 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Not a chance, that contract is awful and could potentially hurt this organization for upwards of a decade.

I can't imagine the amount of criticism (unwarranted or not..) Lecavallier would receive here in Calgary, judging by the sheer amount thrown towards Bouwmeester at every turn mostly due to his contract.

It would be insanity.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Volica

Quote:
Disagree. Top first line centers are much too hard to find. Soft, non-impact, except minute logging defensemen can be signed relatively easy. Jbo hasn't been a real #1 dman his entire time in Calgary. I felt more comfortable when Hannan and Gio were on the ice over over Butler and Bouwmeester.

I believe the Flames are going to surprise everyone again by giving Suter the best contract again.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Volica

Adding to that. I meant a younger and more into or heading into prime center. Not over the hill and contract heavy Vinny

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Disagree. Top first line centers are much too hard to find. Soft, non-impact, except minute logging defensemen can be signed relatively easy. Jbo hasn't been a real #1 dman his entire time in Calgary. I felt more comfortable when Hannan and Gio were on the ice over over Butler and Bouwmeester.

I believe the Flames are going to surprise everyone again by giving Suter the best contract again.
I agree with this. Having a #1 centre is by far more important than having Bouwmeester. If Bouwmeester was a legitimate #1 defenceman, which he isn't, then maybe there would be an argument. But having depth and strength down the middle is vital, and we've seen it this year with the Kings and recent SC winners (e.g., Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, and Boston - though the latter was just deep all over the place).

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:18 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post

Who are these other soft non impact defenseman you speak of? Because I see no one outside of Suter able to replace Jbo.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:29 AM
SaneQ

You guys think that Iggy and Vinny still have something between them when they fighted in 2004 finals?

SaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:19 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I agree with this. Having a #1 centre is by far more important than having Bouwmeester. If Bouwmeester was a legitimate #1 defenceman, which he isn't, then maybe there would be an argument. But having depth and strength down the middle is vital, and we've seen it this year with the Kings and recent SC winners (e.g., Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, and Boston - though the latter was just deep all over the place).
I would argue that having a #1 defensemen is just as important. All those teams you listed have a #1 defensemen too (Gonchar, Lidstrom, Kieth, Chara). I agree depth down the middle is good, but we shouldn't look to Vinny. I've heard good proposals regarding Statsny, Krejci or Bergeron, Staal, and others, but none of those guys have a nightmare contract.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I would argue that having a #1 defensemen is just as important. All those teams you listed have a #1 defensemen too (Gonchar, Lidstrom, Kieth, Chara). I agree depth down the middle is good, but we shouldn't look to Vinny. I've heard good proposals regarding Statsny, Krejci or Bergeron, Staal, and others, but none of those guys have a nightmare contract.
I agree. My comment, however, was about Bouwmeester, who isn't a #1 defenceman. As such, trading Bouwmeester for a #1 centre would be an upgrade.

In this proposal, I'm not sure if Lecavalier is a #1 centre anymore, and his contract is awful. Those are the reasons why I would pass on the deal, not because the team wouldn't be able to replace Bouwmeester, which I think they could do relatively easily and at a lesser cost than $6.68M annually.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If we target any centre this offseason it should be Staal IMO. He may not be the best, but for sure he is most available which means he will cost the least to obtain (ie. Gio, Backlund). Any of the centres being mentioned would at least cost that and probably our 1st.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If we target any centre this offseason it should be Staal IMO. He may not be the best, but for sure he is most available which means he will cost the least to obtain (ie. Gio, Backlund). Any of the centres being mentioned would at least cost that and probably our 1st.
I agree, but not sure if Pittsburgh would be interested in Giordano. I think the Pens could have more interest in Bouwmeester, who would be a good partner with Letang. Something like Bouwmeester and Backlund for Staal and Michalek / Martin (one of their higher-paid defencemen) could work.

Old
05-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I agree, but not sure if Pittsburgh would be interested in Giordano. I think the Pens could have more interest in Bouwmeester, who would be a good partner with Letang. Something like Bouwmeester and Backlund for Staal and Michalek / Martin (one of their higher-paid defencemen) could work.
I think they would, they are always a cap team and Gio has a good cap hit. For that reason alone I think they would take him over Bouw. Gio also has more trade value than Bouwmeester. I love Gio's character and the player he is, but the thought of trading Bouwmeester scares me more than Gio. My thoughts anyways.

But yeah, if we have a shot at getting Staal I'm all for it.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 04:19 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

I am not a JBo hater and understand what he brings to the team. However, I also think he has some shortcomings and is replacable.

As for being willing to trade him for a #1 C... absolutely!. While trading JBo (or Giordano) would create a huge hole in our already weak D, there are defensemen available through free agency and trades that can - at least partially - fill the voids.

And acquiring a #1 C is the one instance where I would be more than willing to create the void on D.

However, Vinny, and his albatross contract, is not the answer and is not worth the loss of JBo.

Stastny for JBo <insert balancing fillers as deemed appropriate here> is a trade I would consider though.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:33 PM
DoubleJ96

There's no way I want Vinny's contract for that many more years.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:36 PM
DoubleJ96

In fact I'd rather have Luongo on the team over Vinny and that contract

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Who are these other soft non impact defenseman you speak of? Because I see no one outside of Suter able to replace Jbo.
I'd take Wideman ahead of JBo. But reality is, there isn't anyone other than Suter and Wideman who are better than JBo on the market and I loathe JBo. That said, there are two top pairing defenseman and zero 1st line centers available unless you consider Jokinen a 1st line center. I'd do it if Vinny's deal was the same length, but I wouldn't want him past 2015. I'm not against the concept of trading JBo for an overpaid 1st line center, just if the deal is crazy long like Vinny's.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 12:01 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I'd take Wideman ahead of JBo. But reality is, there isn't anyone other than Suter and Wideman who are better than JBo on the market and I loathe JBo. That said, there are two top pairing defenseman and zero 1st line centers available unless you consider Jokinen a 1st line center.
Wideman? The guy was a goat for the Capitals he made defensive made after defensive mistake. I would take the "soft" defenseman who is good at defense mediocre at offense over the other one.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Wideman? The guy was a goat for the Capitals he made defensive made after defensive mistake. I would take the "soft" defenseman who is good at defense mediocre at offense over the other one.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Dale Hunter must be famous for playing defensive goats on the shutdown pairing for 25 minutes a night then hey? Wideman had higher corsi numbers than JBo and a much better +/-. All stats say he's the much better defender and Dale Hunter demands defensive accountability as Ovechkin being glued to the pine in 3rd period leads indicates.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote