HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Schultz talk pt. 2

Old
05-28-2012, 01:34 PM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Kelowna and Vancouver have pretty close links. If he's not signing in Annaheim there must be a reason. The money and opportunity are available from the Ducks so what would make him decide not to sign there (assuming he doesn't sign)? At this point it's all conjecture but the only logical explanation I can come up with is location. That doesn't mean he's signing with Vancouver but it could mean that he wants to play in Canada all else being equal. Of course, I could be totally wrong as to what motivates him just like everyone else on here.
Why did Bill Sweat sign in Vancouver?

Brad Richards went on vacation with Avery, a close friend, and discussed NY before he chose.

http://kylethereporter.com/2012/01/1...nd-for-anheim/

Apparently Jake Gardiner and Schultz are pretty close. Close enough that Gardiner flew there during the all-star break to train with him.

But then again how can argue with the fact Kelowna is 400km away from Vancouver?

Let's also ignore Russo and other insider comments over the last couple days.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:37 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
Justin is selfish to not want to at least fulfill is ELC with the team he was drafted by. I don't care if you hate the franchise you are with you sign the deal and leave after 2-3 years.
Here is where I disagree with you and I'm going to try to explain it concisely.

Drafted players don't have much leverage, but one thing they do have is the ability to decline signing with the team that drafts them. If you want to force players to play out the ELCs for the teams that draft them, you would have to begin paying all your prospects from the day you draft them until their ELCs run out. Otherwise teams would gain even more leverage over their picks.

Teams can't have it both ways. They can't decline paying their draft picks while they develope in the junior ranks AND still require them to play out their ELCs.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post

Brad Richards went on vacation with Avery, a close friend, and discussed NY before he chose.

Apparently Jake Gardiner and Schultz are pretty close. Close enough that Gardiner flew there during the all-star break to train with him.

But then again how can argue with the fact Kelowna is 400km away from Vancouver?

Well Naslund & Forsberg were "best buddies" but all that got the Canucks was.....nothing. It's a factor but not the only factor.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Boom4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post

He's obviously coming home..the safe bet is that he's going to want to play on the Canucks if they can promise him a spot int he top 6.
TOP 6? Lol Wth is a top 6 defenseman? If you promised him Top 4 minutes sure, but offering him bottom pairing minutes he's Probaly not going to want that.

Boom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
vanwest

Quote:

It sounds like you are reading the tea leaves to support your wishes. The bottomline is that no one has a clue. You can argue until you're blue in the face about how Gardiner and Schultz are best friends. In a few cases that may have made a difference but not in most cases. If being close to family and home is an important factor to him then Vancouver would appear to have a good chance. It's all conjecture at this point and it is certainly possible to make at least as strong an argument that he could choose the Canucks over the other teams.

Last edited by vanwest: 05-28-2012 at 01:51 PM.
vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:42 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffein View Post
This is actually not true. Gardiner is allowed to talk to Schultz of course, but if he tries to convince Schultz to come to Toronto while being the property of another team it is concidered tampering by the league even if the management is not involved at all.
Proving it is a whole other issue though.
Do you have any link to back that up?

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:

How close is the next city with a hockey team?

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopitaToDemitra View Post
Asset management isnt drafting .....its how you manage your assets. It's acquiring good value for your assets through trade...or letting RFA's get poached, signing quality college players who were never drafted.....
The umberger crap was horrible asset management...
I disagree. Drafting is a big part of asset management. It's bringing new assets into an organization. It takes numerical draft picks and turns them into contributing assets for an organization. Using those picks effectively is a key part in generating overall asset value in an organization. And for all those people saying that the GM doesn't have an impact on this and it's up to the scouting staff, this is directly opposite of what Burke himself has said on this. He said the exact same thing in 98 with the Canucks, that he did in 05 with the Ducks - that he has just arrived with the organization and because of that he had minimal impact on those particular drafts and trusted his scouting staff to make the picks they felt best, but is otherwise involved heavily in the drafts, as he himself has stated.

And overall his drafting has not been very good ... forget the top-2 or 3 picks in a draft - even an idiot with the hockey news can draft top prospects with the top picks, but outside of those top picks, Burke's drafts haven't been very good overall... sure he's got a few good picks here and there, but all teams do that.. he doesn't however have very many *assets* overall that he's brought in from the draft.

And it wasn't just the Umberger situation that shows bad asset management. What about the numerous rentals he picked up for draft picks that didn't do a thing and walked as FA after providing no impacts for their club? What about the several UFAs he's signed to contracts that have not lived up to those contracts and have become devalued as assets since arriving?

Like I said, Burke, AT BEST, is average when it comes to asset management. He's made a few good trades, but every GM does that at some point. He's made many horrible decisions and the well the team has to accumulate assets from - the draft - he hasn't been very good overall in it.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I disagree. Drafting is a big part of asset management. It's bringing new assets into an organization. It takes numerical draft picks and turns them into contributing assets for an organization. Using those picks effectively is a key part in generating overall asset value in an organization. And for all those people saying that the GM doesn't have an impact on this and it's up to the scouting staff, this is directly opposite of what Burke himself has said on this. He said the exact same thing in 98 with the Canucks, that he did in 05 with the Ducks - that he has just arrived with the organization and because of that he had minimal impact on those particular drafts and trusted his scouting staff to make the picks they felt best, but is otherwise involved heavily in the drafts, as he himself has stated.

And overall his drafting has not been very good ... forget the top-2 or 3 picks in a draft - even an idiot with the hockey news can draft top prospects with the top picks, but outside of those top picks, Burke's drafts haven't been very good overall... sure he's got a few good picks here and there, but all teams do that.. he doesn't however have very many *assets* overall that he's brought in from the draft.

And it wasn't just the Umberger situation that shows bad asset management. What about the numerous rentals he picked up for draft picks that didn't do a thing and walked as FA after providing no impacts for their club? What about the several UFAs he's signed to contracts that have not lived up to those contracts and have become devalued as assets since arriving?

Like I said, Burke, AT BEST, is average when it comes to asset management. He's made a few good trades, but every GM does that at some point. He's made many horrible decisions and the well the team has to accumulate assets from - the draft - he hasn't been very good overall in it.
Not disagreeing with you, you obviously know your your stuff.
I think its just terminology here.
When people say Asset Management I believe it referes to what's already on the book as opposed to drafting. Drafting to me is a totally different thing. It has to do with a scouts ability to find guys wth potential who have a great chance of turning that potential into something real. It's mostly scouts...not really a GM thing.
Negotiating trades, ufas, rfas leverging things like friendships, or geography (schultz case) to gain assets..that stuff to me is asset management.
I hope you know what i mean.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Let's ignore what all the insiders are saying and just post what you want to happen.

He's also not from Vancouver. He's from Kelowna. It's about the same distance from Vancouver that Toronto is from Detroit. Like me saying Ottawa is home because it's in Ontario.
No, it's not like saying that at all. It would be like saying that if Ottawa was the only NHL team in Ontario and the majority of people in Ontario saw Ottawa as their home team.

Kelowna is in BC, and the Canucks are the only team in BC. His family and friends are Canucks fans, like the majority of people in Kelowna, who see Vancouver as their home-town team.

This isn't like Detroit and Toronto - two different cities in two different countries, or Ottawa and Toronto - two cities with 2 different NHL teams.

This is more like Toronto and Oshawa, or Guelph, or Kitchener, etc. Towns were the majority of fans in those cities would identify Toronto as their favorite team.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting he's going to sign in Vancouver. I think there are probably 4 or 5 teams that have a good chance to sign him. Vancouver has some things going for it just like Toronto (Gardiner), NY (other college teammates), Edmonton (opportunity), Detroit (top franchise that a lot of players want to play for), etc...

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:02 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Well Naslund & Forsberg were "best buddies" but all that got the Canucks was.....nothing. It's a factor but not the only factor.
Well, based on the recent news and the other article posted, I would say it's looking like the main 'factor'.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Sarava

Duncan Keith's hometown is awfully close to Kelowna. Hopefully he wants to play with Duncv

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:08 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Well, based on the recent news and the other article posted, I would say it's looking like the main 'factor'.
IF that does prove to be the main 'factor' then I believe it would raise some concerns as to Schultz's character.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
vanwest

Quote:
All conjecture as I said earlier. No one as yet has any idea what factors he will consider in making his decision.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Duncan Keith's hometown is awfully close to Kelowna. Hopefully he wants to play with Duncv
No he will probably go to play with his best friend.

Old
05-28-2012, 02:13 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
IF that does prove to be the main 'factor' then I believe it would raise some concerns as to Schultz's character.
I don't understand why people feel this way.

What exactly is the issue here?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The New York Rangers management and coaching staff like and play young players. Go look at the number of young players on the roster. The Rangers had their break up today and Torts is talking about giving more young guys opportunities to make the roster next season. Its a very good team.

In New York,Schultz could play with either his Wisconsin buddy Ryan McDonagh or Marc Staal. There is an opportunity on the right side with Michael Sauer's playing future a major question mark. Besides Dan Girardi,the Rangers don't have another right handed shot under contract for next season with Sauer's concussion. The Rangers are not counting on Sauer for next season. The playing time is there for Schultz. He won't spend half of his time fishing pucks out of his own with Henrik Lundqvist backing him up like he will in Toronto. Tomas Vukoun and James Riemer? The Leafs will be 0-1 in the next CBA when it comes to making the playoffs.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Sarava

I don't know why people keep bringing up character. He's about to legally be a free agent. He can do what he wants and doesn't need to justify it to any of us. And I say that as a fan of a team that has little to no chance of signing him.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

So is his UFA date June 1 or July 1? Just want some clarification.

As for the tampering accusations, I can't see Burke and company doing it considering their relationship with the Ducks. Furthermore, because they were accused of tampering with the Sedin, I can't see them letting it happen again.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:35 PM
crazyforhockey

schultz drafted by Anh.... off to college.

dont know when Anh offered the first contract???

what was offered?

now schultz can sign and play in Anh or he can wait till Jul 1st and sign wherever he wants.

we dont the way he was treated etc or he just sees an opportunity to move on... with a team uncertain of its recent future( ie direction)

thats why you offer/sign contracts as soon as you can

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
So is his UFA date June 1? Just want some clarification.

As for the tampering accusations, I can't see Burke and company doing it considering their relationship with the Ducks. Furthermore, because they were accused of tampering with the Sedin, I can't see them letting it happen again.
one mth after announcing hes leaving college he can be open to negotions from all teams(ie just happens to be draft day Jun 22 )..but still cant actually sign till JUL1st

think it happens mre often than not ...teams putting out feelers to guage players intent..just dont get caught

know from a a very close source about a top notch RFA(past).... having a former player mention he shouldnt sign a contract...and wait for a offer sheet....player didnt and signed before he was able to receive an offer sheet

Old
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
I don't know why people keep bringing up character. He's about to legally be a free agent. He can do what he wants and doesn't need to justify it to any of us. And I say that as a fan of a team that has little to no chance of signing him.
...because...he's...been...telling...Anaheim...he. ..wants...to...play...for...them?

How many times does that have to be repeated? The issue is his about face, not the legality.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Isn't Keith from Manitoba?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 02:44 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
...because...he's...been...telling...Anaheim...he. ..wants...to...play...for...them?

How many times does that have to be repeated? The issue is his about face, not the legality.
wonder what changed...ie the offers from Anh wernt top entry level?
Anh play dipping(ie no playoffs)?

or so close to FA that Schultz is enticed by it???

wasnt aware of his stating he wanted to sign in Anh

Old
05-28-2012, 02:46 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Isn't Keith from Manitoba?
North-western Ontario, about three hours east of Winnipeg.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote